Today 09:06 AM
0 Replies, 53 Views
» Promotion

Old 01-09-2017, 09:17 AM   #21
Chief Smash
Enjoyed the Prequels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
Is Rodgers Catholic? All that hail mary crap, lol...

Next weekend's games should actually be decent games. This weekend was a perfect example of why the NFL should NOT expand the playoffs any further like the NBA and NHL have. There aren't enough quality teams. It dilutes playoff game quality and it also dilutes the meaningful nature of the NFL regular season, where wins and losses really count.
It's all a matter of what they can sell to fans though. It's funny how the sheep line up to bleat out that this team is elite, that player is a stud (I hate when grown men use that term about other men), etc. And the truth is that none of us are immune to it if we spend enough time watching. Troy Aikman mentioned yesterday that Aaron Rodgers has the best hard count in the NFL and then a little later, I saw some random guy on Twitter say the same thing as if it was an original thought he didn't just hear on the broadcast. It's a sort of sports group think. For some reason, I just find this stuff frustrating and it's worn away at my enjoyment of the NFL over the years. It reminds me of what happened to the NBA over the years when they started selling us the players instead of the game. That's how you get players that don't have to follow certain rules or get the benefit of the timely foul call (or penalty flag in football.) It feels more like wrestling than real sports at times.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 10:00 AM   #22
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
Even the commentators will point out that his accuracy drops way off when he encounters any pressure at all. I'm not talking about the play action where he rolls out. That's done by design. I mean real pressure.

Again, it's like we're watching two different guys.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/qbs...nst-the-blitz/

http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-p...-aaron-rodgers
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 10:10 AM   #23
screwyluie
Evil Dead

you guys are way too involved in this. Football is a chance to invite my dad over and visit. from week to week I don't even know when the next game is half the time. We watch the game, bullshit about it till he leaves and then the NFL doesn't exist again until next weekend.
Old 01-09-2017, 11:11 AM   #24
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
you guys are way too involved in this. Football is a chance to invite my dad over and visit. from week to week I don't even know when the next game is half the time. We watch the game, bullshit about it till he leaves and then the NFL doesn't exist again until next weekend.
My family has been this involved in sports for a long time.
Old 01-09-2017, 11:37 AM   #25
Terran
Evil Dead

One could say the exact same thing he did about any hobby on the planet, not just football. It's all a waste of time to someone, somewhere. Thanks for that nugget of a contribution, lol! Enjoy your own meaningless entertainment in the meantime!

I hate the NFL. Long live the NFL!
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 12:56 PM   #26
Chief Smash
Enjoyed the Prequels

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post
I trust sports writers about as far as I can throw the lot of them. One minute player A is a hero, the next he's hopeless. These are the same people (there are tons) that were asking mid season "What is wrong with Aaron Rodgers?" But people get attached to "their guy" and we all wear blinders for them. Bottom line, it's easy to look like a pro when the blitz actually doesn't get through to you. Being blitzed and being hit are two different things. Again, we'll see. In this day and age, anyone can win a superbowl so I'd never count him or anyone else out. You're riding high now and I get that. Again, none of us are immune to that stuff.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 03:41 PM   #27
Chimpbot
King Ghidorah

Quote:
No. Not happening. Aaron Rodgers is done losing this year.
There's a major reason why Green Bay will struggle against Dallas (aside from having to play on the road).

Green Bay struggled with - though eventually overcame - a Giants team that hadn't scored more than 20 points in the past few games. They averaged 19 points per game for the entire season and 17 over the last three games. Their offense is anything but explosive.

Dallas averages 29 points at home and 27 over the last three games...which is artificially lower due to them not even giving a damn during the last game of the regular season.

If Green Bay struggles out of the gate against Dallas - which they likely will, because their defense is pretty underrated - they'll be facing a much larger deficit than 6 points. When you couple this with the number of injuries they took walking out of that game against the Giants...and you're left with a Green Bay team that may not be quite as effective as everyone assumes they'll be.
Old 01-09-2017, 03:45 PM   #28
Chimpbot
King Ghidorah

Quote:
Is Rodgers Catholic? All that hail mary crap, lol...
Surly you've heard of the Hail Mary pass, a phrase that became widespread because of Roger Staubach...a former Quarterback for the Cowboys.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:08 PM   #29
Terran
Evil Dead

You realize I was making a 'punny' about his hail mary winners (he's had several), right?

I grew up as an Army season ticket holder (Michie Stadium is amazing in fall) with a brother who played and as an NFL fan myself. I'm well aware of the idiomatic expression, thanks!
Old 01-09-2017, 06:23 PM   #30
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
There's a major reason why Green Bay will struggle against Dallas (aside from having to play on the road).

Green Bay struggled with - though eventually overcame - a Giants team that hadn't scored more than 20 points in the past few games. They averaged 19 points per game for the entire season and 17 over the last three games. Their offense is anything but explosive.

Dallas averages 29 points at home and 27 over the last three games...which is artificially lower due to them not even giving a damn during the last game of the regular season.

If Green Bay struggles out of the gate against Dallas - which they likely will, because their defense is pretty underrated - they'll be facing a much larger deficit than 6 points. When you couple this with the number of injuries they took walking out of that game against the Giants...and you're left with a Green Bay team that may not be quite as effective as everyone assumes they'll be.
Well yes, the GB offense struggled to get in a rythym, for about 1.75 quarters. I agree, the offense must get off to a good start.

I think GB can win this game, though. With Rodgers playing like a demigod, anything is possible.
Old 01-09-2017, 11:19 PM   #31
screwyluie
Evil Dead

Quote:
One could say the exact same thing he did about any hobby on the planet, not just football. It's all a waste of time to someone, somewhere. Thanks for that nugget of a contribution, lol! Enjoy your own meaningless entertainment in the meantime!

I hate the NFL. Long live the NFL!
you missed the point I made. If you wanted to make your own point that's fine, but there's no need to reference me to make it.
Old 01-15-2017, 06:07 PM   #32
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
We shall see! We can refer back to this thread next weekend!
Finally, a great game. All the others have been a bore. Rodgers was terrific. Dak and Ezekiel are the real deal, and I think we'll be seeing more of both of them in the post-season. Not good enough today, though.

Well done, GB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
you missed the point I made.
You didn't have a point. Thanks for the turd nuggets!
Old 01-15-2017, 07:09 PM   #33
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Agreed, great game. Nearly gave me a heart attack!

I think GB was underrated coming into this game, big time. We were missing our top wideout, no true RB and a defense made from swiss cheese, on the road.

But people who don't understand Rodgers or who don't watch his games might not reakize, he's the best at his position ever, skillwise. It's not even close.

He's playing at a level no one has.
Old 01-15-2017, 07:16 PM   #34
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

That game was a classic!
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 07:36 PM   #35
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Adding to my comment above with a backup story. It's good to be INSTANTLY supported just after typing your comments by a professional.

Packers hold off Cowboys' comeback, reach title game

Quote:
No Jordy Nelson, no problem. Before Cowboys defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli dialed up a series of blitzes to confuse Green Bay in the second half, Rodgers had led the Packers to 66 points in the first 74 minutes since Nelson's Wild Card-round exit last week. Prior to the opening whistle, FOX analyst Troy Aikman declared that Rodgers is playing quarterback at the highest level it has ever been played. Rodgers spent the next 60 minutes of game time proving Aikman right. The man who turned the Hail Mary into a routine play deployed every other weapon in arsenal on Sunday, extending plays, throwing receivers open, pump faking to dupe defensive backs, picking up first downs with his legs and tricking Dallas' defense into untimely penalties. Rodgers' 34-yard touchdown pass to Richard Rodgers was his 14th on a "free play" due to defensive offsides since 2012. No other quarterback has more than three such scores over that span. A master craftsman possessing the position's most gifted and varied toolbox, Rodgers has advanced the art of quarterbacking over the past two months.
Old 01-15-2017, 07:41 PM   #36
Chimpbot
King Ghidorah

I've never felt quite so deflated after a football game. Still...the Cowboys did a hell of a job digging themselves out of that hole. If they can shore up the defense with a couple of solid pass rushers, they'll be an NFC powerhouse for the next few years.

Still...it was a hard loss to swallow.
Old 01-15-2017, 07:55 PM   #37
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
I've never felt quite so deflated after a football game. Still...the Cowboys did a hell of a job digging themselves out of that hole. If they can shore up the defense with a couple of solid pass rushers, they'll be an NFC powerhouse for the next few years.

Still...it was a hard loss to swallow.
I know it's been a looooong time since you've been in the win column in the playoffs, but still. You've got the future, just like you said.
Old 01-15-2017, 08:04 PM   #38
Chimpbot
King Ghidorah

Quote:
I know it's been a looooong time since you've been in the win column in the playoffs, but still. You've got the future, just like you said.
I've been around for the good as well as all of the bad.
I just want to seem 'em win while Whitten is still playing
Old 01-16-2017, 06:29 AM   #39
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Sorry I didn't get a new thread up for this week guys. I had company over, and the house was chaotic at best

Tags
game day, nfl game day, sunday