Rumor - Red Dead...
Last post by Evil Avatar
Today 12:13 PM
3 Replies, 323 Views

Old 02-22-2018, 04:48 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Joss Whedon Exits 'Batgirl' Movie

The Hollywood Reporter has word that Joss Whedon is leaving the Batgirl movie project after not being able to figure out how to make a Batgirl movie.

Quote:
Whedon, the creator of Buffy the Vampire Slayer among other pop culture touchstones, is exiting the Warner Bros. feature project, which he was writing and was slated to direct.

"Batgirl is such an exciting project, and Warners/DC such collaborative and supportive partners, that it took me months to realize I really didn't have a story," Whedon told The Hollywood Reporter in a statement. Referring to DC president Geoff Johns and Warner Bros. Picture Group president Toby Emmerich, Whedon added, "I'm grateful to Geoff and Toby and everyone who was so welcoming when I arrived, and so understanding when I…uh, is there a sexier word for 'failed?'"

Whedon came on to Batgirl almost a year ago, in March 2017, with the hopes of bringing to the big screen a companion to the female empowerment icon Wonder Woman, with this one tied to the most popular character in comics, Batman. Batgirl is Barbara Gordon, the daughter of Gotham City police commissioner James Gordon.

But sources say that Whedon, after a year of trying, could not crack the code of what a Batgirl movie should be. Wonder Woman, meanwhile, became a cultural phenomenon as well as one of the biggest hits and most acclaimed movies of 2017.

Industry sources add that even as Whedon faced story issues, in today's cultural entertainment environment, a male filmmaker may have faced greater public scrutiny if he were to have tackled a movie with such feminist importance such as Batgirl or Wonder Woman, much like a white filmmaker would have seen backlash taking on the Black Panther movie.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 04:53 PM   #2
Exodus
Evil Dead

Really?

The guy who did buffy, wrote titan A.E., Firefly, cabin in the woods, the avengers, picked up snyders work and redid it in justice league can't do a batgirl movie.

I don't understand they must have refused all of his proposals.

I mean hell what kind of world would we be in now if he wrote justice league, bvs from the start?

What the hell is going on DC?
Old 02-22-2018, 05:01 PM   #3
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
Really?

The guy who did buffy, wrote titan A.E., Firefly, cabin in the woods, the avengers, picked up snyders work and redid it in justice league can't do a batgirl movie.

I don't understand they must have refused all of his proposals.

I mean hell what kind of world would we be in now if he wrote justice league, bvs from the start?

What the hell is going on DC?
I kind of wonder if he simply didn't want to go through the gauntlet of bad press regarding the essay his ex wife wrote about him cheating on her with women he worked with. By his admission, some of them were his subordinates. His career took a tiny ding, but played the wrong way and it could be as sunk as some of the other guys we hear about. It's better for him to go do his own thing somewhere away from the limelight right now.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 05:04 PM   #4
karaliusbronius
Evil Dead

Emma Stone should be batgirl!
karaliusbronius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 05:04 PM   #5
Wizzkidd
Evil Dead

Thank God, I don't want this guy anywhere near a DC film after what he did to Josstice League. Also the fact that his ex wife came out and told everyone about his cheating and treatment of women, that wouldn't be a good look. I'm sure that's the real reason he's not on the project anymore.

Let him go back to making homogenized, paint-by-numbers Marvel films. The only thing from him I'd actually be interested in is a Cabin in the Woods sequel.

Go Against the Flow.

Xbox/Steam: Inkabodcrane
Current rig: i7 6700, GTX 1080 ti, 32 gb DDR4
Wizzkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 05:32 PM   #6
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

And nothing of value was lost.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 05:42 PM   #7
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

I suspect he was asked to leave the project after that essay from his ex-wife. Having him choose and direct a young female actress when he is now known for exploiting young female actors is not the PR direction DC wants to go.

The fact that they let him butcher Justice League and then it tanked isn't helping.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:01 PM   #8
Exodus
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
I suspect he was asked to leave the project after that essay from his ex-wife. Having him choose and direct a young female actress when he is now known for exploiting young female actors is not the PR direction DC wants to go.

The fact that they let him butcher Justice League and then it tanked isn't helping.
Ahhh now it makes sense.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:04 PM   #9
Meeks
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post

Bingo. We're clearly not getting the whole story here (and, frankly, I don't care to). We know the guy is more than capable of creating strong female characters.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:14 PM   #10
Exodus
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeks View Post
Bingo. We're clearly not getting the whole story here (and, frankly, I don't care to). We know the guy is more than capable of creating strong female characters.
Story kinda tells itself.

I had no idea bout this but damn he worked with a lot of attractive women in his forrays.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:14 PM   #11
Terran
Evil Dead

The louder a progressive is, the worse his or her (or its) own behavior is in private. He's a loudmouth bigot who has been called out for also being a sexist abusive misogynist.

He's walking to escape the heat. Hope it follows him. From his ex-wife's essay on him and his many, many, many affairs:

Quote:
Then later, after he confessed everything, he told me, “I let myself love you. I stopped worrying about the contradiction. As a guilty man I knew the only way to hide was to act as though I were righteous."
The louder a progressive is, the worse the hypocritical behavior they're hiding. He's been very loud.

Giving people more of their own money...WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS? :D
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 09:51 PM   #12
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Joss Whedon used to be an instant goto for me. TV, movie, comic, you name it. Firefly, Buffy, Angel, his name was all the info I needed. It wasn't until this election cycle I found out how militant, aggressive, unreasonable, and over-reactionary he was that I started having second thoughts about if I could continue to support his work.

Still, as much as I despised his politics he built some of the most amazing templates for powerful female - feminine - heroes in recent pop culture and he deserved to be admired for that.

To hear again of his hypocrisy and this time from someone with unimpeachable source material (an actual letter he wrote her) is terrible and undermining almost his entire career.

To each their own about their opinion of his directorial ability but I have to wonder if we weren't in the "#MeToo" and hyper-polarized political era if anyone would really care about his infidelity.

Right now he's better off fading away because he abused his position to have sex with pretty actresses and so on. He's lucky his wife's letter hasn't made more of a splash than it has considering other famous folk are getting raked over the coals for far less serious infractions than possible abuse of authority. Oh and he's a retarded lefty so woot! Win for the right and for "feminism" (I guess).

Seems like a pretty hollow victory to me even though I still hate it when he opens his mouth on twitter.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 09:57 PM   #13
hund_
Evil Dead

Ugly man abused his position to have sex with pretty actresses.
The American dream
Old 02-23-2018, 03:01 AM   #14
Phoenix1985
Subscriber

It seems a real possibility. Batgirl is one of those characters I never could get a good handle on, especially with how her position has changed over the years. There's a plethora of stories but none I could say stand out enough for a proper movie.
Phoenix1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 11:24 AM   #15
timmyd
Evil Dead

I wonder if threats of a lawsuit over sexual harassment is being used to cancel high cost contracts? I thought most contracts contain a criminal conviction clause.

I'm thinking the industry is looking at all the long term contracts and then wondering what the profit margin for a Netflix series is.

Who knows I just hate movies.
timmyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 12:22 PM   #16
Rommel
International Playboy

After three Batman animated features focusing heavily on Female Batpeople, I don't know what interesting stories are left for the character to adapt to the screen.
drive into the daughter's womb proper, fill the uterus with the dick snot
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
Rommel gave the right answer
*Not in context
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 01:35 PM   #17
MADxMrMike
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
To each their own about their opinion of his directorial ability but I have to wonder if we weren't in the "#MeToo" and hyper-polarized political era if anyone would really care about his infidelity.
This... I do not care at all. But to be honest I just can't bring my self to even care about the #MeToo movement. I guess some good will come out of it.

Xbox - reload in 3
PSN - MADxMrMike
MADxMrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 07:04 PM   #18
Exodus
Evil Dead

Wait a second. Did he abuse his position? I thought he just slept with co-workers? The only thing I see here is that he took offers to have sexual episodes with willing participants. I don't see anything here about pushing people into having sex with him. The only victim here is the wife he cheated on did I miss something?
Old 02-23-2018, 08:38 PM   #19
Terran
Evil Dead

You missed a lot, lol. Using your position of power and influence to extract sexual concessions from those dependent upon your good graces for work is the very definition of abuse. He's a slightly less scummy Harvey Weinstein with a bigger mouth, smaller waistline, and a bit less pockmarked face from hell.

Giving people more of their own money...WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS? :D
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 08:07 AM   #20
Exodus
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
You missed a lot, lol. Using your position of power and influence to extract sexual concessions from those dependent upon your good graces for work is the very definition of abuse. He's a slightly less scummy Harvey Weinstein with a bigger mouth, smaller waistline, and a bit less pockmarked face from hell.
Ahh.

Well then.

I know a few people who more than likely threw their buffy collection out over this.

Tags
batgirl, dc comics, dc entertainment