4 Replies, 409 Views
Torchlight II - E3 2019...
Last post by Chimpbot
Yesterday 11:23 AM
19 Replies, 2,005 Views

Old 06-12-2019, 08:14 AM   #41
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Honestly, PC Gaming is even worse than ever because of every publisher having their own online store and their own online app.

If you buy a console, you plug it in and it works. You buy the games for that console and they work.

If you start going down the PC gaming road again, you are still talking about buying dozens of pieces of hardware, assembling them and then having to deal with drivers and now you have to deal with like 15 different online stores.

Yes, stuff tends to work now, unlike the good old days when you had to pretty much tweak a dozen settings to get games to even launch, but it is still about 1000% more hassle than the average consumer is ever going to bother with.

I agree that these console companies throwing out a dozen SKU’s is disappointing to the early adopter, but if you bought an Xbox One, the games would still work. If you bough an X, the games would still work and if you bought an S, the games would still work. Heck, if you buy a Scarlett, the games from this generation will still work.

That beats trying to assemble your own PC from parts by a mile.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:49 AM   #42
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
Honestly, PC Gaming is even worse than ever because of every publisher having their own online store and their own online app.

If you buy a console, you plug it in and it works. You buy the games for that console and they work.

If you start going down the PC gaming road again, you are still talking about buying dozens of pieces of hardware, assembling them and then having to deal with drivers and now you have to deal with like 15 different online stores.

Yes, stuff tends to work now, unlike the good old days when you had to pretty much tweak a dozen settings to get games to even launch, but it is still about 1000% more hassle than the average consumer is ever going to bother with.

I agree that these console companies throwing out a dozen SKU’s is disappointing to the early adopter, but if you bought an Xbox One, the games would still work. If you bough an X, the games would still work and if you bought an S, the games would still work. Heck, if you buy a Scarlett, the games from this generation will still work.

I just built a PC for the first time in over a decade and it was....easy as pie. Drivers were easy. You go to the manufacturer page and it auto detects your hardware and downloads what you need for you. It's not rocket science.

Once you're up and going, it becomes much better/easier/cheaper to maintain than a console lately.

No convoluted and clunky interfaces, no new $400 hardware every 3 years to upgrade. I can buy something solid and get a full console generation out of it. Hell, the last hardware I just replaced for my PC was 11 years old.

I think consoles, their short cycles, their clunky interface and desire to be a PC instead of a console, is making PC a better choice than ever lately.

And as far as the hardware goes, it's so easy. Everything is plug and play. Hell, you don't even have to bother with SATA drives or cables anymore. Buy an NVMe flash drive and just plug it into your motherboard. Done.

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Useless as **** on a bull.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 09:20 AM   #43
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:

I agree that these console companies throwing out a dozen SKUís is disappointing to the early adopter, but if you bought an Xbox One, the games would still work. If you bough an X, the games would still work and if you bought an S, the games would still work. Heck, if you buy a Scarlett, the games from this generation will still work.

Installing drivers is hard? No wonder you like consoles. Good god.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 10:30 AM   #44
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Installing drivers is hard? No wonder you like consoles. Good god.
Not for me, but for the average consumer? For all these people playing Fortnite? Yes, that's a major pain in the ass.

You think most of these kids playing Fortnite are going to spend as much on a SSD as their whole console cost?

I think that once you get involved in PC gaming, you forget just how expensive it is and how much of a pain in the ass the whole process is for the average consumer.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:39 AM   #45
Major Dan
Conductor Dan

And you’ve got to use Windows 10.....shutter.....
Old 06-12-2019, 10:46 AM   #46
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Dan View Post
And youíve got to use Windows 10.....shutter.....
Old 06-12-2019, 10:49 AM   #47
Chief Smash
Subscriber

Yeah I agree with Evil on this one. PCs are much better than they used to be and assembling one is a snap compared to how it used to be. But it's only easy because of where we all came from. For the uninitiated, it's still a daunting task compared to hooking up a console. PC gaming may be more rewarding and flexible but it's certainly not easier.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 11:14 AM   #48
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
Yeah I agree with Evil on this one. PCs are much better than they used to be and assembling one is a snap compared to how it used to be. But it's only easy because of where we all came from. For the uninitiated, it's still a daunting task compared to hooking up a console. PC gaming may be more rewarding and flexible but it's certainly not easier.
I also think price is still a major issue. I was looking at SSD's for my PS4 Pro and anything 2TB or higher is almost the cost of the whole console. We all love the "Budget PC" threads, but once you start including stuff like the keyboard, mouse and monitor the cost is still way way way over what people pay for a console.

We mostly give people a pass on counting the cost of your TV because everyone owns a TV, but when you go to get into PC gaming you can't just instantly cut out the costs of all those extras because some people just don't have them. (ie, People with laptops.)
Old 06-12-2019, 11:23 AM   #49
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Not that it matters, I really gave up PC gaming because the AAA franchises moved to console, not because PC gaming is hard. I do also think that since I moved away from PC gaming, I spend more money on the games and less on the hardware.

I probably still spend the same amount every year, I just buy way more games than I did in the PC gaming days.
Old 06-12-2019, 01:12 PM   #50
PacerDawn
Choadwanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
You can't beat PC gaming in 2019. It's too #@%@ easy.
And when you upgrade to a new PC you don't have to re-buy all of your games again, or swap machines to play the ones you bought before upgrading. That's the biggest selling point (to me anyway).
Old 06-12-2019, 01:59 PM   #51
Mozain
Fueled By Tits & Revenge

Quote:
This is such an old way of thinking about it that it's no longer realistic. Hell just look at the launch of Anthem to see that the games you buy on a console are no longer guaranteed to actually function anymore. Not only that but you can read countless threads complaining that any new piece of software bricks a user's console.
Mozain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 02:29 PM   #52
PacerDawn
Choadwanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozain View Post
This is such an old way of thinking about it that it's no longer realistic. Hell just look at the launch of Anthem to see that the games you buy on a console are no longer guaranteed to actually function anymore. Not only that but you can read countless threads complaining that any new piece of software bricks a user's console.
And no more "pop-in and play". I had to wait 2 hours for the entire game to download when I first put Spiderman in.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:05 PM   #53
Mozain
Fueled By Tits & Revenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacerDawn View Post
And no more "pop-in and play". I had to wait 2 hours for the entire game to download when I first put Spiderman in.
I would argue the only benefit of a console these days (beyond exclusives) are broken street dates on games that don't require an online connection. But those are becoming more and more rare these days.
Mozain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 06:05 PM   #54
LostToys
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozain View Post
Not only that but you can read countless threads complaining that any new piece of software bricks a user's console.
That's just raw numbers for you. As long as you are relying on some kind of EPROM for system storage, you take on the risk of any OS upgrade bricking the physical hardware. That is the case for any commercial electronic device.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
microsoft, xbox, xbox x