Torchlight II - E3 2019...
Last post by Chimpbot
Yesterday 11:23 AM
19 Replies, 2,007 Views

Old 06-08-2019, 10:48 PM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Pure Evil - E3 Begins with a Thud

The unofficial start of E3 was today, with Electronic Arts forgoing their normal press conference in favor of a 3-hour press conference. Alrighty then.

Sadly, after three hours of stuff, all they really showed was a few minutes of Jedi: Fallen Order, which looks linear and dull, some new Battlefield 5 maps and a new character for Apex Legends.

I can see why they didn't go the traditional route, because I doubt you could have gotten Microsoft or Sony to give any time at all to one new Apex character and a couple of multiplayer maps for Battlefield 5.

Looking over the E3 schedule for the next few days, it's going to be a pretty bad year. After the Microsoft Press conference tomorrow E3 is pretty much over for the year. Bethesda and Ubisoft will be showing off stuff we already know about (DOOM 3, new Assassins Creed, etc.) and I don't expect much of a showing from Microsoft.

Microsoft hasn't been able to pull off an E3 win in years and I don't think it's a "Win" if you are the only one presenting. You don't get to win by being the only player to show up to the game.

Did you watch any of the EA press conference? I skipped it and it doesn't sound like I missed anything. I will be watching Microsoft and Bethesda tomorrow.

Update: Since E3 starts today officially, I'll give away 5 more patches today! I picked up stamps on Saturday so these will all go out this week.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 01:23 AM   #2
davidj.dk
Evil Dead

I was underwhelmed by Fallen Order - but i have hope for it tho.. (haven't played apex legends since it came out, so meh on the new legend, and i skipped the rest of EA play)

Gonna watch MS, as im expecting Cyberpunk 2077 info, as well as the new FromSoftware title.

Other than that, nothing too exciting for me this year. a RDR2 PC announcement would be nice, but Rockstar doesn't attend E3, so that's a long shot.
davidj.dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 04:21 AM   #3
Mozgus
Evil Dead

Well considering how last E3 was almost entirely showing games that weren't coming out in the following 365 days, I'm not at all shocked by this year's underwhelming offer.
Mozgus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 07:38 AM   #4
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

Is Bethesda still planning on wasting everybody’s time?
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 08:06 AM   #5
Mozain
Fueled By Tits & Revenge

All i'm waiting for is Nintendo to announce their (rumored) minor Switch hardware upgrade so I finally buy one.
Mozain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 11:18 AM   #6
Schling Fo
Soul Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozain View Post
All i'm waiting for is Nintendo to announce their (rumored) minor Switch hardware upgrade so I finally buy one.
I've been waiting for that as well, but I expect we'll be disappointed when it doesn't happen.
Schling Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 11:20 AM   #7
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

It is funny, because there is no Sony this year and we know that most of the stuff MS is going to show off is either multiplatform or just plain average (Gears 5, Halo 5) that I almost feel like if I just skipped the press conference this year I wouldn't have missed anything.

I wonder if this is the end of E3 after this year. Next year Sony will want to hype up the PS5, but will they want to do that at E3 or do their own shows???
Old 06-09-2019, 12:56 PM   #8
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Microsoft Press Conference in 5 minutes!
Old 06-09-2019, 01:27 PM   #9
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

Keanu in Cyberpunk. Coming out next April.
Old 06-09-2019, 01:34 PM   #10
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max RW View Post
Keanu in Cyberpunk. Coming out next April.
Yea, another whole year of wait for a game that was due out this fall. Ouch.
Old 06-09-2019, 01:44 PM   #11
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Almost an hour in and the only thing new they have shown is Bleeding Edge, a game that basically no one wants. A multiplayer title from a studio known for their amazing single player game???
Old 06-09-2019, 01:53 PM   #12
brandonjclark
Evil Dead

Dang it, just checking in. In Clearwater Beach with the family this weekend\week.

Any patches left?
brandonjclark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 02:21 PM   #13
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Should have known that idiotic Grears 5 “faces” trailer was designed by a woman.
Old 06-09-2019, 02:38 PM   #14
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

I like how it started with this “artsy” faces nonsense then ends with a Terminator tie-in.

Wasteland 3 was embarrassing.

Cyberpunk 2077 and Keanu out of nowhere stole the show.
Old 06-09-2019, 02:38 PM   #15
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

That was pretty much what I expected. A bad Gears game, a Forza expansion pack and a Halo game we aren't going to see for another year and a half.

Man, I feel bad for anyone who dropped $500 on the Xbox One X knowing that less than three years after launch it has been replaced.
Old 06-09-2019, 02:40 PM   #16
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
I like how it started with this “artsy” faces nonsense then ends with a Terminator tie-in.

Wasteland 3 was embarrassing.

Cyberpunk 2077 and Keanu out of nowhere stole the show.
After the last Gears game and seeing that they let some woman create an "emotional" trailer for Gears 5, it's looking pretty painful. These games are about you being the hero of the story, not you being an emotional wreck who can't function for the entire mission and gets weepy during every story scene.

There is a place for storytelling like that, don't get me wrong, the place for that just isn't in Halo or Gears of War.
Old 06-09-2019, 02:45 PM   #17
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

I only ever played the first one at a party years ago and hated the third person controls. Except for the historically goofy trailers the rest of the series may as well not exist.

Tim Schafer looks like Gabe Newell.
Old 06-09-2019, 02:55 PM   #18
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
I only ever played the first one at a party years ago and hated the third person controls. Except for the historically goofy trailers the rest of the series may as well not exist.

Tim Schafer looks like Gabe Newell.
I've been a fan of the series since launch. They were all pretty good until Gears of War 4. Letting Big Gay Al run his own Gears studio was a mistake and the last one was just a shell. It was a by-the-numbers Gears game with zero creativity.

What is even worse is that not that long ago it was announced that the Coalition, the studio Microsoft built from the ground up to make Gears of War games, is moving on to making some new property. That makes me think that Gears 5 is being made by their second string team and that trailer certainly gives me the impression that they let a bunch of second string people run the project.
Old 06-09-2019, 02:56 PM   #19
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Overall, it wasn't a bad press conference. Mostly because it was all stuff you can play on the PlayStation or the Xbox. MS really only had their regular three exclusives and not much else.

You can't say anyone "won" this year because there is nothing to compare it to.
Old 06-09-2019, 04:45 PM   #20
Inkabodcrane
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post

Man, I feel bad for anyone who dropped $500 on the Xbox One X knowing that less than three years after launch it has been replaced.
You are quite benevolent, feeling bad for people like that. How sympathetic and caring.

Don't feel bad for me though. I love the thing. I actually care about the latest tech and 4k HDR etc. I have 4k TVs and monitors in several different rooms. The X has been the sole thing keeping me playing on console, because my PC is so superior. When I want couch time it is nice to have a console that can hang.

Also where do you get your information regarding Gears 5? I haven't seen anything showing that it'll be bad. The 3 player co-op mode looks cool, and I haven't seen any campaign footage since last year. An artsy little character trailer doesn't tell me how the game will play, so who in the world would say the game is bad based on zero evidence? Oh, that's right, you dont need evidence, you have belief. Like religion.

I guess the fanboy culture will continue for the foreseeable future, eh? I wrongly figured as we all got older we might lose interest in that stuff. I'll be buying it all, and only commenting based on experience.

Go Against the Flow.
Inkabodcrane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pure evil