Last post by Chimpbot
Yesterday 11:23 AM
19 Replies, 2,007 Views

Old 06-06-2019, 07:37 PM   #1
magicka
Lord

Quicker than you can say Swamp Th...

Quote:
Just six days after its debut on DC Universe, Swamp Thing has been canceled.

Only one episode of the series has aired on DC Universe. The remainder of the show's 10-episode run will play out on the streaming platform, but it won't return after that.

The cancellation follows the series having its order cut from 13 to 10 episodes, with sources telling The Hollywood Reporter that creative differences were the cause of the reduced run. There are also questions about the role of the year-old DC Universe in parent company WarnerMedia's larger streaming plans.

Swamp Thing stars Crystal Reed (Abby Arcane), a CDC scientist who returns to her Louisiana hometown to investigate a strange disease ravaging the bayous. Andy Bean plays Alec Holland, with Derek Mears as Alec's Swamp Thing alter ego.
Hollywood Reporter.
magicka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:03 PM   #2
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Ouch. The article makes it sound like part of the reason it got clipped was that they aren't even sure they want to continue with the DC streaming service.

Not that I see that as a bad thing, I think it just means these shows will be on some other platform where they get more viewers.
Old 06-06-2019, 11:42 PM   #3
Inkabodcrane
Subscriber

A major reason why this happened was due to tax exeption where it was filming in North Carolina. WB was supposed to get a $40 million tax break, but for some reason it only ended up being $14 million. Here is a link to a twitter thread explaining it.

I'm seeing talk that AT&T are the ones rethinking the whole DC Universe app. All I know is the constant fumbling of the DC properties is just hurting the brand, these fat cats in their offices need to just sell DC to a different company, I'm sick and tired of the way WB has fucked things up so often. The latest thing I've seen is a supposed subscription plan that would get you the DC stuff, HBO, and Cinemax.

I haven't watched it yet because I like to wait until all episodes are out, but I've heard Swamp Thing episode 1 is really good.

Go Against the Flow.
Inkabodcrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 01:59 AM   #4
excalibur1814
Evil Dead

I was looking forward to watching this, but now... knowing that it's cancelled and probably won't receive an actual ending? Oh well.
excalibur1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 04:09 AM   #5
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by excalibur1814 View Post
I was looking forward to watching this, but now... knowing that it's cancelled and probably won't receive an actual ending? Oh well.
The shitty part is that its cancellation has nothing to do with a lack of viewers or poor quality. Like Inkabodcrane mentioned, it got axed because North Carolina fucked up some paperwork and accidentally slashed WB's tax break from $40 million down to $14 million. The first season alone cost them $80 million to produce (and I'd be willing to bet it got such a large budget because they were assuming they'd get half of it back automatically), so it simply became too expensive for them to continue it.

It's a shame, really. I've had a soft spot for Swamp Thing since I was a kid.
Old 06-07-2019, 06:31 AM   #6
wunshot
Subscriber

Damn...that's a bummer. I watched the first episode and was pleasantly surprised. It was actually pretty damn good.

I bet if Crystal Reed popped those boobs out the show might get a second life.
wunshot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 07:28 AM   #7
MavenACTG
Evil Dead

Not that I am a fan of DC properties outside of Batman, but DC needs a Marvel Studios. Right now its relationship with WB is more comparable to a Fox doing X-Men / Sony doing Spider-man relationship.
MavenACTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 09:27 AM   #8
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead

Seems like the perfect opportunity for Netflix to swoop in with their billions $$ and just take over production. I'm sure it would do very well there.
Old 06-07-2019, 05:09 PM   #9
PacerDawn
Choadwanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkabodcrane View Post
A major reason why this happened was due to tax exeption where it was filming in North Carolina. WB was supposed to get a $40 million tax break, but for some reason it only ended up being $14 million. Here is a link to a twitter thread explaining it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
The shitty part is that its cancellation has nothing to do with a lack of viewers or poor quality. Like Inkabodcrane mentioned, it got axed because North Carolina fucked up some paperwork and accidentally slashed WB's tax break from $40 million down to $14 million.
Per that twitter thread (and linked news article in it), it looks like the NC screw up didn't impact Swamp Thing at all and they had already been budgeted. The issue was that WB assumed the grant they received from the pilot was going to be the same grant amount for every episode. That wasn't the case, so they bailed.

Also it does not appear to be not a tax break, it is actually a rebate on expenses paid for with tax dollars.

Last edited by PacerDawn; 06-08-2019 at 01:45 PM..
PacerDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 05:13 PM   #10
PacerDawn
Choadwanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Jesus View Post
Seems like the perfect opportunity for Netflix to swoop in with their billions $$ and just take over production. I'm sure it would do very well there.
I would much rather see that than for the state to take my tax dollars and throw them at another Hollywood studio in hopes of creating seasonal jobs. Then again, I'm sure Netflix takes these types of bribes as well.
Old 06-07-2019, 05:22 PM   #11
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

In many other countries these shows seem to be aired by Netflix, it is only in the US where the only outlet for the DC programs are gated to the DC service.

I know for sure Titans was allowed to be aired on Netflix outside of the US just like the rest of the DC TV shows though I am less sure about Doom Patrol and now Swamp Thing.

Like many people, knowing it is cancelled took my interest level from red hot "I-can't-wait-till-all-episodes-are-aired-so-I-can-binge" to "eh, nope".
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 05:56 PM   #12
dirtbag
El Matador

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
In many other countries these shows seem to be aired by Netflix, it is only in the US where the only outlet for the DC programs are gated to the DC service.
We have Titans on Netflix in Peru, but not Doom Patrol or Swamp Thing - the licensing for various properties seems to be almost random from country to country.
dirtbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 02:35 AM   #13
hellcinder
Death Knight

Star Trek discovery is aired overseas on Netflix and not the cbs all access. The kicker? Netflix finances 100% of Discovery’s budget.

And I agree with the earlier sentiment about Warner Bros. Get DC the hell away from them. The only constant with them is a good screw up.
Old 06-08-2019, 01:35 PM   #14
NACIONAL
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbag View Post
We have Titans on Netflix in Peru, but not Doom Patrol or Swamp Thing - the licensing for various properties seems to be almost random from country to country.

Same here in Colombia. Titans Yes... No doom patrol nor swamp thing.

I really hate country blocking in this day and age
NACIONAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 10:52 PM   #15
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

How do they detect VPNs?

Seems like you should be able to be defeat the region blocking that way.

If they track by payment billing address couldn’t you use crypto or a prepaid visa or something with a contact in the US or wherever?
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote