Last post by Metal Jesus
Today 04:53 PM
2 Replies, 220 Views

Old 02-07-2020, 07:31 PM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Below - Explore Mode Announcement Trailer

Quote:
BELOW, Capy’s dark & deadly dungeon crawler, is coming to the Playstation 4 this spring, along with a brand new mode called EXPLORE, geared for players who value discovery over difficulty.

BELOW's original SURVIVE Mode exists in its pure, untouched form for player's excited to test their mettle against BELOW’s original challenge.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 07:15 AM   #2
MavenACTG
Evil Dead

Looks interesting, like Darkest Dungeon meets Bastion without the vocals. Now let's see the price point.

Is the base game already out? Copy and title makes it sound like it isn't.
MavenACTG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 07:39 AM   #3
92miata
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavenACTG View Post
Looks interesting, like Darkest Dungeon meets Bastion without the vocals. Now let's see the price point.

It is on Steam, 24.99! Glad OP posted this, purchased because it looks amazing!

2740 Games In My Steam Library Now, YAY!
92miata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 05:52 PM   #4
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

I played a little bit of this on the Xbox One on Games Pass and quite frankly, it sucked.

The atmosphere was great, but every time you die you are right back at the beginning of the game -- so they show a lot of neat stuff that most people will never get to see. That is why they are adding the explore mode to the PS4 version, which is a nice addition, but I don't know if the gameplay was compelling enough to make me return for more.

Does anyone else remember Brut@l on the PS4? That was the same way, the art style was fantastic, but without a way to save your game you could never get all that far. I told the developers tons of times that not having the saved game was what killed their sales and they just didn't listen and the game bombed.
Old 02-08-2020, 08:47 PM   #5
lancereagle
Death Knight

I knew there was a reason why I didn't pick this up, but I couldn't remember why. All I could remember was I was pretty interested then something totally turned me off. Maybe now you can save it'll be worth a look.
lancereagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 08:43 PM   #6
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancereagle View Post
I knew there was a reason why I didn't pick this up, but I couldn't remember why. All I could remember was I was pretty interested then something totally turned me off. Maybe now you can save it'll be worth a look.
I never understand it when developers totally push some gameplay thing that consumers just hate. No one wants to play the same section of the game over and over and over and over.

Dark Souls manages to succeed despite this limitation, but you can't look at Dark Souls and think your game will be as big of a success.

Just like consumers don't really care for wall-running, teleporters or grappling hooks in shooters and developers are always trying to shoe-horn that stuff into the games.
Old 02-10-2020, 06:17 AM   #7
shadow763
Lord of Woe

Preach! I have skipped playing so many games lately that are in my library due to excess backtracking or poor save structure (bad checkpoints, or no ability to save whenever) because I don't have the time to constantly replay an area. Or run through it again for the 20th time to help pad that length. Just frustratingly tedious game design.
shadow763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 07:57 AM   #8
Chief Smash
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow763 View Post
Preach! I have skipped playing so many games lately that are in my library due to excess backtracking or poor save structure (bad checkpoints, or no ability to save whenever) because I don't have the time to constantly replay an area. Or run through it again for the 20th time to help pad that length. Just frustratingly tedious game design.
It also sort of artificially lengthens a game and I think that's part of why smaller studios do it. It's fashionable to make your game punishingly difficult or tedious and it makes an otherwise short game appear to be worth your $20 or $30 by adding on hours of game play. I don't think it's an illegitimate approach but it's not for me.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 10:54 PM   #9
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavenACTG View Post

It's been on Xbox for like a year. And totally unplayable. I guess they finally realized that.

Tags
below explore