4,301 Replies, 830,921 Views
One Quarter One Play -...
Last post by BeardedSonOfNel
Yesterday 12:14 PM
12 Replies, 806 Views

Old 05-21-2019, 09:36 AM   #1
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead

Metal Jesus in JAPAN - Game Hunting in Tokyo (Part1)

Part 1 of our epic trip to Japan. In Tokyo we hunt for games, eat amazing ramen, visit historical shrines and watch robots fight! (no seriously...that happens)

Last edited by BeardedSonOfNel; 05-21-2019 at 04:21 PM.. Reason: To center the video.
Metal Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 04:43 PM   #2
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Very cool video. I can't wait for part two!
BeardedSonOfNel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 04:49 PM   #3
Terran
Evil Dead

That really is a long, long flight to Asia. When I lived in Korea, flying occasionally back and forth to NYC/JFK (think it's long from the West Coast? Try from the East Coast!), I'd always try to get the bulkhead window seat (first row in coach, against the window). It's the BEST seat in coach. You can sleep against the window/wall, look out the window, and get up or sit down w/out your seatmates having to actually move. It's awesome.

Man, what a deal on your place. Amazing!!! Hope none of y'all snored. I'm doing AirBnB with the family out West this summer (Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, etc., etc.) for the first time. Much better deal than a hotel.

Time difference always threw me off living over there. Jet lag was rough. When I first moved to Seoul, I got sick as a DOG for at least a week. Felt like someone was stabbing me in the throat. Strep I think.

The Robot Restaurant looks amazing. I didn't have enough time in Tokyo (I traveled all over while living in Korea) to do much, so I missed that. Maybe some day in the future! Reminds me of Medieval Times in a way...show and a meal.

That was a great video, MJ. Well done!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 06:27 PM   #4
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post

Time difference always threw me off living over there. Jet lag was rough.
Dealing with jet lag is one of the reasons why I decide to book a little longer vacations when I do it. There's no point going somewhere like Europe or Japan and trying to only stay 5 days or a week, when the first 3 you are like a zombie.

That said, getting back to Seattle has been surprisingly easy for me. It must be because of when we took off (afternoon Tokyo) and landed in Seattle (morning). I was able to stay up most of the first day and go to bed normal. It's been nice.
Old 05-22-2019, 12:33 AM   #5
Azzy
Cthulian

I definitely appreciate that you take the time to document the non-game side of the trip too. Many of us will never get there and it's fun to see it from a similar set of eyes.
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 06:31 AM   #6
Krull
Dread Lord

Metal this was fantastic. My wife and I are heading to Japan next year and like you I am a big guy 6'4" and a little over weight so seeing and hearing how you manged makes me feel better and you gave us some great ideas for places to visit while we are there.

Can't wait to see your next video.
Krull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 09:46 AM   #7
DrizziTx
Evil Dead

Very well done, nailed my interest, will watch ASAP
Rock on
Old 05-22-2019, 09:50 AM   #8
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krull View Post
Metal this was fantastic. My wife and I are heading to Japan next year and like you I am a big guy 6'4" and a little over weight so seeing and hearing how you manged makes me feel better and you gave us some great ideas for places to visit while we are there.
Big tip: rent a Pocket Wifi as soon as you land in Tokyo. Basically it's basically $12 a day, but throw it in your backpack and you'll have unlimited wifi/cellular everywhere you go. Supports up to 10 devices too. You don't have to hunt for wifi in cafes or hotels...and it's always there for you. So worth the $150 fee.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:13 AM   #9
PacerDawn
Choadwanger

What the hell is that at 16:17 mark, Pikachu poo?

I went to Taiwan back in 1993 for about a month for work. We had a layover at Tokyo-Narita and I slept for the entire flight between there and Tainan. When we arrived I think it was around 11pm, but once at the hotel I was able to sleep and then I was just fine the rest of the time. For some reason I never got affected by jetlag, it was strange.

Quote:
I'd always try to get the bulkhead window seat (first row in coach, against the window). It's the BEST seat in coach. You can sleep against the window/wall, look out the window
Window seat for sure. I had just gotten the Enya Shepard Moons CD and I have to tell you -- listening to that CD and looking out the window of an airplane goes together SO well.
Old 05-22-2019, 02:10 PM   #10
Terran
Evil Dead

I freaking LOVE Enya. Oh man, absolutely great idea listening to her music on a flight. I never thought of that, and now my international jet setting days are long over. C'est la vie!
Quote:
Old 05-23-2019, 12:31 AM   #11
AlfredT
Evil Dead

Quote:
That really is a long, long flight to Asia.
31st I'm going from Toronto to .. err.. Guangzhou China.. 15h roughly I think. Then 3 hour layover then off to Burma

But man, thanks for that Enya suggestion.
Old 05-23-2019, 09:12 AM   #12
Krull
Dread Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Jesus View Post
Big tip: rent a Pocket Wifi as soon as you land in Tokyo. Basically it's basically $12 a day, but throw it in your backpack and you'll have unlimited wifi/cellular everywhere you go. Supports up to 10 devices too. You don't have to hunt for wifi in cafes or hotels...and it's always there for you. So worth the $150 fee.
We have herd that from others as well. From my understanding Japan does not have a lot of free wifi spots available so this is a must. Did you get your at the airport?
Krull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 12:56 PM   #13
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredT View Post
31st I'm going from Toronto to .. err.. Guangzhou China.. 15h roughly I think. Then 3 hour layover then off to Burma
A speedy and safe journey! On the 1st of June I start a 32 hour drive from the Southeast to Arizona. I'm spending June on a National Park tour with the wife and kiddos. Can't wait!

Quote:
But man, thanks for that Enya suggestion.
Hat tip to Pacer for that one. Relaxing music for a long ride!
Quote:
Old 05-23-2019, 12:59 PM   #14
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Jesus View Post
I wonder, would a device and plan that offers hotspot data sharing Stateside do the same overseas? Not sure of the answer, as my time overseas predates the advent of widespread mobile devices.

I use my device a lot during vacations as a hotspot to connect to the web and stream data. Works great as long as there's a signal for a mobile phone.
Quote:
Old 05-24-2019, 04:33 AM   #15
Inkabodcrane
Subscriber

Awesome video man. I joined the army back in the day looking forward to going to Germany, Korea or Japan. I ended up in Texas and Alabama. I've always wanted to go to Tokyo, and have spent many hours watching videos like this, but it was great to see you there this time. Gave it more of a "what would I do" feel. Looking forward to the next one!

Go Against the Flow.
Inkabodcrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 06:43 AM   #16
brandonjclark
Evil Dead

I was in Georgia this week for one of my industries largest conferences. It was taking place at one of the largest buildings I've ever seen.

Anyways, inside the building another convention was also occurring, https://www.momocon.com/

I didn't get a chance to see much of it because I was attending the business conference there, but there were a lot of patrons of MOMOcon!
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 09:22 AM   #17
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead

Part 2 of our epic trip to Japan. We travel to Osaka, Kyoto and then back to Tokyo, taking in local Japanese culture, eating amazing food and lots and lots of game hunting!

Old 05-24-2019, 09:16 PM   #18
Inkabodcrane
Subscriber

Another great video dude, that pancake food looked potentially good, I'm going to have to show that to my wife; shes a great cook and Vietnamese so I wonder if she might know of it/how to make it. And I'm jealous of the OG Xbox pickups, that's the console I collect for the most.

Go Against the Flow.
Inkabodcrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 06:16 AM   #19
Terran
Evil Dead

Great part two! My favorite part is the arcades. I miss those so much in the States. That was a real loss. Korea still has them as well, but Japan is in a class all its own on that score.

Really appreciate you sharing the experience with us. Where to next? Maybe make a 'video bucket list' of overseas destinations for gaming and related tourism?!!?
Quote:
Old 05-25-2019, 09:25 AM   #20
PacerDawn
Choadwanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post
Anyways, inside the building another convention was also occurring, https://www.momocon.com/

I didn't get a chance to see much of it because I was attending the business conference there, but there were a lot of patrons of MOMOcon!
MOMO!

Tags
japan, metal jesus, travel, vlog