Creators of Popular...
Last post by RAV
Today 08:22 AM
7 Replies, 1,454 Views

Old 01-04-2019, 01:56 PM   #1
Jetherik
Editor in Chief

Weekend Gamer: What are you playing?

It is the first weekend of the New Year. Use it wisely. What are you playing?
Old 01-04-2019, 02:34 PM   #2
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

I hope to play some Shenmue HD and some COD BOPS4. The wife got both for me for Christmas.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 02:38 PM   #3
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Yakuza 0
Earth Defense Force 4.1
The Council
Shadow Warrior 2
Wocket Weague

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Useless as **** on a bull.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 03:50 PM   #4
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Programming the Commodore 64, and some Red Dead 2
Old 01-04-2019, 06:45 PM   #5
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardedSonOfNel View Post
What a coincidence. I'm knocking some programming rust off myself, with little success. I'm doing it in Unity though. I'd like to think it is like riding a bike but I am falling off a lot.

Otherwise I'll probably be hitting The Witcher 2 again a little and maybe a few games on mobile to keep me occupied.

I grabbed The Walking Dead: No Man's Land, Star Trek Timelines, and have been playing Star Trek Fleet Commander on my iPad (along with my favorite money sink: Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes).

I'm not thrilled with Fleet Commander, due to the unbalanced PvP pre-level 15 (can attack +/- 2 levels) and more less restricted PvP after level 15 (can attack +/- 5 levels I believe). But a person a single level higher can be twice as powerful so it's very school-yard bully in most fights.

It also has a nasty Pay to Win aspect which is very in-your-face. For example if you bought one particular ship early on, the "Jellyfish" that Spock flew in the first reboot Star Trek movie, it is an "I win" button from level 1 to level 25 against any one who is leveling without it. I don't think it is available any more but those that have it are able to clear entire solar systems of any and all opponents.

It also has an enormous negative feedback loop. If you start getting stronger, the game feeds into that so you keep getting stronger and more strength is easier to get. The opposite is also true. If you start getting weaker it is incredibly easier for you to get more weak with each additional setback.

The Walking Dead is a turn based strategy game, which might be cool. I'm hoping for some base building. And Timelines looks sort of like Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes, except with Star Trek, so I'm not sure that will last long. I'm already pretty deep into one collection game and not willing to dive into another.
vallor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 08:38 PM   #6
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
What a coincidence. I'm knocking some programming rust off myself, with little success. I'm doing it in Unity though. I'd like to think it is like riding a bike but I am falling off a lot.
I know what you mean
Old 01-04-2019, 11:45 PM   #7
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
Yakuza 0
Earth Defense Force 4.1
The Council
Shadow Warrior 2
Wocket Weague
Rocket League should be classified a Schedule 1 drug.

*edit

Exhibit A

Last edited by brandonjclark; 01-05-2019 at 12:52 AM..
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 08:45 AM   #8
BalekFekete
Claptrap Bitch

Weekend menu will be some BLOPS4 with a side of Subnautica here.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:40 AM   #9
walstib
Evil Dead

Mass Effect - Andromeda. PS4. finally got around to it. itís ok, but a pale shadow of ME 2.

and some Wii bowling and Mario Party 7 as the younger kids are now into vid games and so we dusted off the Wii and fired it up.

who knows - maybe some Rock Band 2 since i bought a lot of Rush music

looks like a retro weekend
walstib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 01:45 PM   #10
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Nice!

I was working on art for a book Iím writing. My art is pretty much terrible, the point is just to show my Daughter that anyone can create books. She is a pretty gifted artist.

My Mom canít draw at all and she has dozens of books, toys and educational games. She just cranks out stuff all the time. They even made kids furniture to go with one of her books!

I started playing Diablo III on the PS4. Looks great on the big screen. You notice all kinds of little details that I didnít see on a 24Ē monitor on the PC (or the 7Ē monitor on the Switch).

One of these days Iím going to get past Act I. I think I have played Act I on the PC several times and on the Switch once.
Old 01-06-2019, 02:44 AM   #11
m.c.
Death Knight

Trying to Platinum God of War (PS4) before I start on new ones (9 more backlog). Currently at 62%.
m.c. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 03:30 AM   #12
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Finished Red Dead during the week, hell of a story, likely the best single player story outside of an RPG I've played in decades if not longer. Great great game. Back to Battletech.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 08:06 AM   #13
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
Nice!

I was working on art for a book Iím writing. My art is pretty much terrible, the point is just to show my Daughter that anyone can create books. She is a pretty gifted artist.

My Mom canít draw at all and she has dozens of books, toys and educational games. She just cranks out stuff all the time. They even made kids furniture to go with one of her books!

I started playing Diablo III on the PS4. Looks great on the big screen. You notice all kinds of little details that I didnít see on a 24Ē monitor on the PC (or the 7Ē monitor on the Switch).

One of these days Iím going to get past Act I. I think I have played Act I on the PC several times and on the Switch once.
Well I hope your book isn't years out like my game I plug away at it hard for a couple of days, and then let it sit for weeks (sometimes months)... The up side is I'm slowly getting it done, the down side; it takes me half of a day to figure out where I left off. It sucks only seeing 30-40 lines of code on screen
Old 01-06-2019, 10:46 AM   #14
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Gone Home
Beyond Good and Evil
Dreamfall: The Longest Journey
Syberia
Long Live the Queen

...and several more SJW approved and curated games!

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Old 01-06-2019, 11:09 AM   #15
DingBat
Evil Dead

Quote:
Well I hope your book isn't years out like my game I plug away at it hard for a couple of days, and then let it sit for weeks (sometimes months)... The up side is I'm slowly getting it done, the down side; it takes me half of a day to figure out where I left off. It sucks only seeing 30-40 lines of code on screen
Why are you limited to 30-40 lines? Monitors are pretty cheap these days. Get a 20+" that rotates. Bam, 100 lines easy.

On my old setup I had an ultrawide and a secondary 22" monitor. I could put two windows from Visual Studio up side by side on the ultrawide and have the 22" for browsing, etc. Heaven.
DingBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 12:39 PM   #16
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

Aliens Infestation for the DS on my tv through the DeSMuME emulator and it's fucking awesome. The best Aliens game since the first few levels of the Marine campaign in AvP2. Tense, hard as hell, and remains faithful to the movie while adding new elements from the Dark Horse comics. Playing it on the big screen is brilliant with the emulator. You can set it up to display the two DS screens horizontally instead of vertically so no real estate is wasted. Then make the gameplay screen much larger and the inventory/map screen smaller. Plays like a really advanced SNES or Sega Genesis game. Great graphics. Controls are tight and no delay and translates perfectly to the Xbox 360 controller. My only negative is the music. It sounds like the soundtrack to The Dig and replays the same 2 or 3 tracks everywhere.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 12:53 PM   #17
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

I'm redacting union members personal information with a black magic marker for a case my boss is working on.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 01:49 PM   #18
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DingBat View Post
Why are you limited to 30-40 lines? Monitors are pretty cheap these days. Get a 20+" that rotates. Bam, 100 lines easy.

On my old setup I had an ultrawide and a secondary 22" monitor. I could put two windows from Visual Studio up side by side on the ultrawide and have the 22" for browsing, etc. Heaven.
I'm working on a real Commodore 64. I'm really limited to 25 lines, 40 columns wide
Old 01-06-2019, 06:32 PM   #19
Ghostblaze
Evil Dead

Installed my new seasonic PSU since my corsair crapped out so back to Evil Within
Red Dead 2 for PS4 almost done
Ghostblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 01:58 PM   #20
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post
Rocket League should be classified a Schedule 1 drug.

*edit

Exhibit A

Nice! Yah, it's hard to put that game down for very long. It's a blast. Do you play competitive? I don't have near the hours you have. Closer to 500, but I can play at about Diamond I level in comp. Need to get more practice in.