It's Sunday: What NFL...
Last post by Chimpbot
Today 07:10 AM
6 Replies, 431 Views

Old 05-28-2018, 05:49 PM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Solo Stumbles over the Memorial Day Weekend #SoloAStarWarsStory

In the largest disturbance yet in Disney's otherwise lucrative reign over Star Wars, the Han Solo spinoff Solo: A Star Wars Story opened well below expectations with a franchise-low $83.3 million in ticket sales over the three-day weekend in North American theaters.

Here is the Weekend Boxoffice Chart for the weekend of May 25th to May 27th, 2018.
  1. Solo: A Star Wars Story $84.7/$84.7
  2. Deadpool 2 $43.4/$208.1
  3. Avengers: Infinity War $17.4/$622.6
  4. Book Club $10.0/$32.4
  5. Life of the Party $5.3/$39.3
  6. Breaking In $4.2/$35.8
  7. Show Dogs $3.2/$10.8
  8. Overboard $3.1/$41.6
  9. A Quiet Place $2.4/$180.1
  10. RBG $1.2/$5.7
  11. Rampage $.835/$93.9
  12. Super Troopers 2 $.586/$29.8
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 05:54 PM   #2
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
Solo: A Star Wars Story $84.7/$84.7
No other way to describe that than as a disturbance in the force:

Oh yes...yes indeed. A SW film has dropped into financial mediocrity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 07:02 PM   #3
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

To think it's the most expensive Star Wars film to date. The worldwide numbers are even worse than domestic and they need at least half a billion to break even. I'm betting Disney will double down on their bullshit and never acknowledge they've been fucking up the franchise. It's always somebody else's fault and it doesn't take a genius to figure who that will be.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 07:06 PM   #4
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Worse than that, cost overruns because of the change in writers/directors in the middle of filming made this the most expensive Star Wars film to date, at over $250 million plus advertising costs. There is a good chance that this film will not make back what they spent.

You have to remember, the studio only gets 44.9% of US ticket sales and less from the foreign markets. That is why they often say that these movies with $200 million budgets need to make in the $700 million range to be profitable.

This movie will be hard pressed to even make a total worldwide box office of $400 million, so it's probably a total loss for the studio. We can only hope it leads to Kathleen Kennedy getting the boot, but she will probably just defer the blame onto the back of the original writer/directors and pretend like it wasn't her pushing some SJW agenda for both this film and Last Jedi that was the reason this film bombed.
Old 05-28-2018, 07:56 PM   #5
NACIONAL
Evil Dead

I love the star wars lore... But I have 0 interest in watching Solo.. after the shitshow of TLJ, I don't want to touch that franchise until at least a couple of years.

I watched Deadpool instead ... And it was really really good.. I think it is Even better than the first one. I laughed hard in some of the scenes, along with the whole theatre. A very very well done movie.

The X-force scenes where hillarious!
NACIONAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 10:51 PM   #6
Kawika
Dread Lord

Quote:
We can only hope it leads to Kathleen Kennedy getting the boot, but she will probably just defer the blame onto the back of the original writer/directors and pretend like it wasn't her pushing some SJW agenda for both this film and Last Jedi that was the reason this film bombed.
This is what should happen and you are right, she probably won't get the boot. I don't mind trying to appeal to a wider audience by being inclusive. But you don't have to disregard the past either. I think many people object to the fact that older characters get co-opted to fit some agenda. Its pandering. I am not a fan when I am pandered to, and this film is proof that strategy isn't working out.

TLJ almost killed star wars for me. If it wasn't for Dave Filoni (Clone Wars & Rebels) I think I would have tapped out. Solo was the first Star Wars movie I was old enough to see in the theater that I didn't see on opening weekend.
Kawika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 11:47 PM   #7
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

The problem I have with this films reception us that I see so many people claiming “Star Wars fatigue” instead of “the Last Jedi killed Star Wars”.

I hope Disney gets that message.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 12:21 AM   #8
LostToys
Evil Dead

Star Wars fatigue does not exist. If it was just a thing, then the Marvel films should be suffering because of Marvel fatigue. It is not. What is killing Star Wars is Star Wars. People are not tuning into the film as much because this film just came off of the incredibly polarizing The Last Jedi, and a lot of people who would normally show up to Solo are now waiting to see it on a streaming service because they do not trust the brand anymore. There is an image problem that really can only be solved by making several good movies, not just serviceable movies, to get people re-interested and invigorated into the Star Wars brand.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 01:05 AM   #9
Laz
Dread Lord

The Marvel Movies have been fantastic. I can't wait for the next one. And comparing Solo to Infinity War would be a waste of time. But I am glad that I saw Solo and I enjoyed the movie.
Laz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 03:01 AM   #10
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Yay for Deadpool 2 (as good as the first, which is an amazing feat!), A Quiet Place (one of the best horror movies I've seen in... well I can't even remember how long its been... forever!), and Infinity War (a well crafted movie that felt like one gut punch after another and part 2 had better be pretty fucking good and have some more fucking high points for the good guys!).

Three damn good movies to spend money on instead of Solo which by all accounts should crash and burn as the start of the downward trend of the Star Wars Franchise.

I will be avoiding this and future Star Wars movies in the theater and Blu-ray. After The Last Jedi I don't feel they even bother trying anymore. I managed The Force Awakens even after the ignoble death of Han Solo but the more I dwell on TLJ the worse and worse it gets and the more I see the direction Star Wars as a whole is going.
  • They (Kennedy, et.al.) will not accept any valid critique, always spinning it as some sort of "hate" or other thing to avoid taking responsibility for their failures. This time it is "Star Wars Fatigue" which doesn't seem to be a problem with Harry Potter or Marvel or Fast and the Furious or other franchises which release movies on a fast cadence.
  • I don't think they cast or wrote Solo properly. I look at this guy and the way he acts and I don't see him morphing into the Han of Episode IV
  • The trailers leave a lot to be desired. They were poorly done and don't even tease anything except the "all star cast" and "set in the Star Wars Universe". Coming off The Worst Jedi I need more
  • They have created a tradition over the last 6 years of treating the fans as disposable and with contempt... they don't want me, well fuck them they can't have my money
  • They trivialized legacy characters and events in redonkulous ways, diminishing Han's Kessel Run achievement, for example where they have basically re-written history to say he lied and he made the run in 13 parsecs instead of 12. He "rounded down".
  • They can't write new characters for crap (Phasma, completely wasted; Hux is a clown; Kylo is an emo teen; Rey is inexplicably good... at everything)... this isn't character "depth" or growth it is simply confusion. Like how Poe "learned" not to be so single minded and waste resources on a suicide run between the start and end of TLJ but Finn pulls the exact 180 himself? Nope, not artificial at all!
  • They are all over the place with the new characters... is the character dramatic? Are they comic relief? Are they the love interest? Are they a hero? What is the anchor for this character? Who know, it changes from scene to scene!
  • They won't leave modern day politics out of it, and not just identity politics though that is a HUGE part of the new movies, they also had into half-a-dozen other topics like animal cruelty, war profiteering, the underclass and poverty, and other "evils"
  • I like Donald Glover but at this point I can't support him even though I can see him playing Lando. Not because Lando is "Pansexual" after all Captain Kirk would bang anything that walked on two legs and might have a vagina somewhere on it's body but his latest music video "This is America" is so flat out racist I can't get past it. I have also heard he also plays a Lando with no real class or dignity. And if there's anything Billy Dee Williams' Lando had it was class with that smooth charm.

Anyway, between the guy playing Solo, the crummy trailers, the wariness about the quality of story and writing after The Last Jedi, Disney (or at least the people who ran the Muppets and Star Wars franchise) turning the politics dial up to 11 I just can't see giving my money to them for this IP any more.

I'd rather watch Deadpool 2 or Infinity War again.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 03:18 AM   #11
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Also, a note about Deadpool 2. There is a horrendous amount of footage, trailers, "special appearance" from Deadpool and the movie released up to the time the film came out.

You would almost think you've seen the damn movie with as much stuff as they released. However I'm happy to say: you have only seen a fraction of the movie. The jist of the movie is in the trailers as are some of the funny bits but those really are just the appetizers and soup/salad part of the 7 course meal.

Domino steals every scene she's in. I was a little wary at first but the actress OWNS the role and totally made me a believer. I'm in love!

Anyway; so far the best movie of the year, IMO. Infinity War is well crafted but as a 2-parter it falls to Deadpool 2.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 04:51 AM   #12
excalibur1814
Evil Dead

It's kind of difficult to want to see Solo as, we know, we all know, how he dies.
excalibur1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 04:55 AM   #13
excalibur1814
Evil Dead

P.s.

Tried to Watch A Wrinkle in Time. No words can describe how awful that film is but, seeing as I switched it off after 35 minutes, maybe I've not given it the time it deserves.

Annihilation... Held my interest.
excalibur1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 05:04 AM   #14
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
They have created a tradition over the last 6 years of treating the fans as disposable and with contempt... they don't want me, well fuck them they can't have my money
That's a good point. I've been told a few times that these new Star Wars movies aren't really for me, they're for my kids. Well guess who takes (or sometimes doesn't take) them to the movies? On top of that, it's not like the little kids today are devoted to Star Wars movies. There's so much entertainment out there for them to consume that these kids are not turning into just Star Wars fanatics the way a lot of us did back in the 80s etc.
Quote:
They trivialized legacy characters and events in redonkulous ways, diminishing Han's Kessel Run achievement, for example where they have basically re-written history to say he lied and he made the run in 13 parsecs instead of 12. He "rounded down".
What? Is this their way of tearing down the past even more?
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 05:19 AM   #15
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max RW View Post
To think it's the most expensive Star Wars film to date. The worldwide numbers are even worse than domestic and they need at least half a billion to break even. I'm betting Disney will double down on their bullshit and never acknowledge they've been fucking up the franchise. It's always somebody else's fault and it doesn't take a genius to figure who that will be.
I have already seen liberal freaks claiming that the reason Solo failed was because it has a male lead and not a female lead like the other Star Wars films. Never mind that the movies made billions and billions when they had a male lead, just ignore that and blame toxic masculinity (LOL like Danny Glover or Haden wharthefick are masculine).

This is how they justify letting the franchise continue to fail, by blaming everyone and everything except the real source of the problems, which is Kathleen Kennedy.
Old 05-29-2018, 06:08 AM   #16
MusicToEat
Evil Dead

They claim this one bombed because of star wars fatigue, it was to close to the last jedii. Who wants to bet that when 9 fails they claim it was because it was too long between movies and everyone lost interest.
MusicToEat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 06:31 AM   #17
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Like I said in the other thread, Solo isn't as bad as some folks - certainly around here - are making it seem.

Ultimately, it felt like a Star Wars story. It wasn't the greatest and Rogue One was the better of the two side stories...but it was better than either Attack of the Clones or The Last Jedi. All of the malarky about Lando being pansexual never even remotely crops up in the movie, L3 isn't as abominable as some made her seem and it's an overall serviceable film that doesn't really do any damage to the brand (external bullshit excluded, of course). Its biggest failing is the fact that it's a prequel story involving two characters we see in four movies set much later in the story, so there isn't any real threat or peril when they're involved.

Honestly, I'm much more interested in the storyline involving Qi'ra andMaul. Granted, we already know how Maul dies thanks to Rebels, but it would be interesting to see how he goes from leading Crimson Dawn to where he is when we first meet him in Rebels.. Basically, I'd like to see more EU-style stories told with films, which is exactly what I wanted when I was reading so many of the old EU stories growing up. I really hope this film's rough go at the box office won't torpedo these side story films, because they're proving to be much more fun, interesting and authentic than the saga films.
Old 05-29-2018, 07:14 AM   #18
NACIONAL
Evil Dead

Quote:
Domino steals every scene she's in. I was a little wary at first but the actress OWNS the role and totally made me a believer. I'm in love!
Agree, she was just Fantastic!!!

I also would love to see more of Negasonic and her girlfriend Yukio kicking ass.
NACIONAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 08:50 AM   #19
MavenACTG
Dread Lord

Quote:
Domino was the best part of Deadpool 2. "You're doing great!" Great actress.

Solo was an "OK" film. I didn't have a problem that Han lied about the Kessel Run; it fit the character. The editing on the film seemed to obscure more than show what was happening. I think the entire first section of the film was behind various dark color palettes that made it hard to see what was going on.

All the Pansexual stuff is a red herring. The L3 stuff was also slightly grating. I think Glover did a good job as Lando, but I found the entire backhalf of the money ludicrous. Where exactly was Harrison's character going to with Chewie? Did they have a backup ship on the planet? Where was Han going after all was said and done? This and other stuff -- like how how Han's superior skills are broadly informed by his background rather than shown as acquired in the film -- leads me to believe there was some sloppy writing and handwaving through the entire piece.

Not sure about Aiden's "acting coach" gossip but he seemed to do Han well enough. His voice was a little high-pitched / stereotypically nerdy in tone in places compared to Ford's delivery. However, I don't buy Harrison Ford's ringing endorsement; he wanted out of the responsibility of being that pop culture icon for, what, decades? I think he's glad to be rid of that mantle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NACIONAL View Post
I also would love to see more of Negasonic and her girlfriend Yukio kicking ass.
Yep, but that's sex appeal talking. Yukio was a pretty visual display over a blank slate to project upon. I think the one scene in Deadpool 2 where she actually did something made it look like she had ridiculous and stupid super powers. She used a flail that she can charge or something? Gambit 2.0?

Negasonic seems the more interesting character because of that tough exterior, but, again, far more sex appeal than shaved head teenager of the previous one. X-Men's Lisbeth Slander.
MavenACTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 09:32 AM   #20
Booda
Beam another Blast

Quote:
I have already seen liberal freaks claiming that the reason Solo failed was because it has a male lead and not a female lead like the other Star Wars films. Never mind that the movies made billions and billions when they had a male lead, just ignore that and blame toxic masculinity (LOL like Danny Glover or Haden wharthefick are masculine).

This is how they justify letting the franchise continue to fail, by blaming everyone and everything except the real source of the problems, which is Kathleen Kennedy.
Lol! Don't forget about the "white devil".
Booda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weekend boxoffice chart