Last post by Chimpbot
Yesterday 12:22 PM
6 Replies, 578 Views

Old 05-29-2018, 12:44 PM   #21
NACIONAL
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booda View Post
Lol! Don't forget about the "white devil".

Oh my.... what a dreadful article.

Quote:
I’ve never felt so let down and hurt by the female representation in a Star Wars movie before, and yes, I’m looking to place blame, and I’m going to blame it on the fact that 96% of this galaxy is controlled by white dudes.
NACIONAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 01:02 PM   #22
Skunk
Evil Dead

Solo was a bit more boring of a movie than it should have been and his whole riaison d'et was very clumsily written. If you aren't going out to see it because any of the last 3 Star Wars disappointed you (especially TLJ), then that is good, fair, and right. But there is no SJW tomfoolery in this one and frankly I think they poke fun at activism in general with L3, who is a poster child for obnoxious activism for issues that aren't really issues.

Glover nails Lando. He is spot on with both his style and tone. It is clear he did his homework and is a superior actor for it. I can divorce an actor's personal politics from their performance (eg Tom Cruise) but I understand not every can reconcile the same way.

Danerys looks great in this. She totally owns the role of a sex slave turned crime lord lieutenant. Very fun to watch.

The only place where I think the studio failed to listen to fans is in the casting of Solo himself. Yeah, should have gone with that other guy who both looks and sounds like Ford from Apocalypse Now. This guys tries but through no controllable fault of his own cannot trick the audience into believing... Its like having Danny Trejo be young Solo. The only thing he conveys well is Han's inability to lie... He is a scoundrel but honestly a bad liar.

It's not bad but you won't suffer to watch it on tape. For a guy whose whole rep centers on being a badass pilot, there are sparingly few flight scenes out of the Kessel Run.
Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 01:18 PM   #23
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

Wasn't he cast as Solo because of a strong recommendation from Spielberg?
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 08:11 PM   #24
Skunk
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
Wasn't he cast as Solo because of a strong recommendation from Spielberg?
Don't know, but if true.... everyone makes mistakes.
Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 04:48 AM   #25
Vulture
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
The problem I have with this films reception us that I see so many people claiming “Star Wars fatigue” instead of “the Last Jedi killed Star Wars”.

I hope Disney gets that message.
https://moneyish.com/ish/why-the-las...ure-is-female/

yeah but for some of us ist's the SJW trend of Disney
Vulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 07:53 AM   #26
ashikenshin
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulture View Post
https://moneyish.com/ish/why-the-las...ure-is-female/

yeah but for some of us ist's the SJW trend of Disney
Not only that, but insulting the fans. Telling us we are sexist mysoginist racists for not liking TLJ. The disgusting things the original characters turned into. The shoving of the new uninteresting characters down our throats while repeating how awesome and better than the original characters they are.

These movies are supposedly for kids, but you have the writer of the movie telling people that Lando is a freaking pansexual? yeah that will make me want to take my kids to the theatre.
ashikenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 08:02 AM   #27
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post

What? Is this their way of tearing down the past even more?
I don’t really see that as tearing down the past. I think it’s a move that will land on people differently based on the way they see Han.

Some people, for some reason, take Han at face value in Star Wars and believe the things he says. I was always under the impression that he was a liar and that you WERENT supposed to believe the things he says. I guess nobody is definitively right. But I think Disney is coming down on the side that he’s at least not always completely honest.

My interpretation was always that Han was a loser and that the rebellion was the only thing that made him worth anything. Although, he was a charming and lovable loser.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 08:20 AM   #28
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
I don’t really see that as tearing down the past. I think it’s a move that will land on people differently based on the way they see Han.

Some people, for some reason, take Han at face value in Star Wars and believe the things he says. I was always under the impression that he was a liar and that you WERENT supposed to believe the things he says. I guess nobody is definitively right. But I think Disney is coming down on the side that he’s at least not always completely honest.

My interpretation was always that Han was a loser and that the rebellion was the only thing that made him worth anything. Although, he was a charming and lovable loser.
Han has always been a liar and even the first published script for Star Wars had Obi-Wan not really believing the "12 parsecs" bit. It was "obvious misinformation" intended to impress. Granted, this wasn't in the shooting script...but the notion of Han being a liar has been around for quite some time. Even TFA featured him getting into trouble for lying to (and trying to rip off) two separate criminal organizations simultaneously.

Stretching the truth is kinda what Han does best.
Old 05-30-2018, 08:25 AM   #29
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
Han has always been a liar and even the first published script for Star Wars had Obi-Wan not really believing the "12 parsecs" bit. It was "obvious misinformation" intended to impress. Granted, this wasn't in the shooting script...but the notion of Han being a liar has been around for quite some time. Even TFA featured him getting into trouble for lying to (and trying to rip off) two separate criminal organizations simultaneously.

Stretching the truth is kinda what Han does best.
I agree. But some people really do seem to think Han is the greatest pilot in the galaxy, that the Falcon is the best and fastest ship in the galaxy, and that he has personally modded it to be better than specs.

That is opposed to the impression I felt like were were supposed to get which is that Han is a conman, a liar, just good enough at what he does to stay alive, and that the Falcon really is a bucket of bolts that is held together with duct tape.
Old 05-30-2018, 08:30 AM   #30
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
I agree. But some people really do seem to think Han is the greatest pilot in the galaxy, that the Falcon is the best and fastest ship in the galaxy, and that he has personally modded it to be better than specs.

That is opposed to the impression I felt like were were supposed to get which is that Han is a conman, a liar, just good enough at what he does to stay alive, and that the Falcon really is a bucket of bolts that is held together with duct tape.
Honestly, one of the few instances where it seemed like he wasn't lying was about how fast the ship was; it was fast...but it was also a piece of shit that was constantly on the verge of falling apart. The "personal modifications" was a nice way of saying that he slapped some crap into the ship to keep it running. It was clearly supposed to seem kinda cobbled together.

It was part of its charm, really.
Old 05-30-2018, 08:36 AM   #31
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
Honestly, one of the few instances where it seemed like he wasn't lying was about how fast the ship was; it was fast...but it was also a piece of shit that was constantly on the verge of falling apart. The "personal modifications" was a nice way of saying that he slapped some crap into the ship to keep it running. It was clearly supposed to seem kinda cobbled together.

It was part of its charm, really.
Well, I read somewhere that Lucas original intention was for Han to be the college aged guy who scraped together just enough money to buy a van. It was a hunk of junk and always breaking down, but despite everyone else thinking it was garbage, he loved it. It was part of Lucas love of the car culture he explored with American Grafitti and the point of view of someone who grew up in the 60s and 70s.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:54 AM   #32
actusoul
Evil Dead

I saw Solo with the family last night. We had a great time and enjoyed the movie. There was action from beginning to end. I thought it was excellent and I am looking forward to future movies. I thought the actor who played Han did a great job. I looked at reviews online and their critique didn't match our enjoyment and experience.
actusoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 10:03 AM   #33
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by actusoul View Post
I saw Solo with the family last night. We had a great time and enjoyed the movie. There was action from beginning to end. I thought it was excellent and I am looking forward to future movies. I thought the actor who played Han did a great job. I looked at reviews online and their critique didn't match our enjoyment and experience.
My impression was pretty similar, overall. It's not a movie I'm going to rush out to see again in theaters, but I'll definitely buy a copy when it comes out on disc.
Old 06-01-2018, 06:35 PM   #34
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

Word is coming out that Kathleen Kennedy is being quietly replaced following Solo's disastrous numbers and the overall downward trajectory of the last couple Star Wars films.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 11:04 PM   #35
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max RW View Post
Word is coming out that Kathleen Kennedy is being quietly replaced following Solo's disastrous numbers and the overall downward trajectory of the last couple Star Wars films.
I'm not sure I believe that quite yet. She's made Disney much more money than she has lost. They have paid for the price of the rights to Star Wars several times over already.

I think that's just wishful thinking on the part of people who don't like the new films. And the people who don't like ALL of the new stuff are pretty much just idiots who wanted the adventures of 70 year old men.
Old 06-02-2018, 06:02 AM   #36
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

Not saying you’re wrong Jaz but I could see them moving on ousting her if they see the writing on the wall and are getting nervous. Yes she’s made them tons of cash but they’ve gotten some bad press over the last couple of years and now it looks like the money train might be slowing down. They have to be careful they don’t wind up going from popular to a pariah... like Nickelback or something.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 06:28 AM   #37
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

Jaz, you're forgetting Disney is a business. The hundreds of millions of dollars they lost on Solo is hundreds of millions of dollars they expected but no longer have to spend for the next fiscal year. I can guarantee the meetings with the board of directors, headed by Bob Iger, are going a little like this:

Bob Iger: "Solo was supposed to make a billion. It's now a loss of half a billion. Explain that"

Katheleen Keneddy: "But I made you over a billion with the previous movies."

Disney board: "What have you done for us lately?"
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 06:36 AM   #38
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
They desperately need new leadership for SW. What they're doing is not working, and having spent billions to buy the IP they surely don't want to drive SW into mediocrity...and of the four Disney SW films thus far, two have been mediocre, one outright terrible (TLJ), and one solidly entertaining and well done (Rogue One).

I've seen them all. The audience in Solo was silent, the audiences in Deadpool 2, Black Panther and Infinity War were engaged, lively, and reacting to events on screen.

Right now, Star Wars is shit.

Giving people more of their own money...WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS? :D
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 11:28 AM   #39
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Jaz, you're forgetting Disney is a business. The hundreds of millions of dollars they lost on Solo is hundreds of millions of dollars they expected but no longer have to spend for the next fiscal year. I can guarantee the meetings with the board of directors, headed by Bob Iger, are going a little like this:

Bob Iger: "Solo was supposed to make a billion. It's now a loss of half a billion. Explain that"

Katheleen Keneddy: "But I made you over a billion with the previous movies."

Disney board: "What have you done for us lately?"
I agree that could be a scenario.

But it could be: Bob Iger: "Solo was supposed to make a billion. It's now a loss of half a billion. Explain that"

Kennedy: “We had to remake the movie after those Lego Movie guys destroyed it. That was a mistake. We fixed it. The guys who recommended the Lego movie guys have been fired. Abraham’s, the guy whose Star Wars movie broke box office records, is back in the saddle for the next one. We’re golden. Also the project to expand the demographic of Star Wars has been working. We’re tracking higher with women, girls and other minorities which is good news for the park.”

I have absolutely no idea what the metrics are,but women are 51% if the population. If they have a few less men interested and gain even a fragment of that 51%, it’s probably a net gain.
Old 06-02-2018, 12:43 PM   #40
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
I agree that could be a scenario.

But it could be: Bob Iger: "Solo was supposed to make a billion. It's now a loss of half a billion. Explain that"

Kennedy: “We had to remake the movie after those Lego Movie guys destroyed it. That was a mistake. We fixed it. The guys who recommended the Lego movie guys have been fired. Abraham’s, the guy whose Star Wars movie broke box office records, is back in the saddle for the next one. We’re golden. Also the project to expand the demographic of Star Wars has been working. We’re tracking higher with women, girls and other minorities which is good news for the park.”

I have absolutely no idea what the metrics are,but women are 51% if the population. If they have a few less men interested and gain even a fragment of that 51%, it’s probably a net gain.
When are you going to learn that identity politics are awful? It's likely the single reason liberals continue to lose at all levels of staying in power, and yet you tend to double down on it.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weekend boxoffice chart