Last post by karaliusbronius
Today 07:40 AM
11 Replies, 504 Views

Old 09-28-2019, 10:20 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Spider-Man Back in the Marvel Cinematic Universe

Quote:
Spider-Man is back in action. After publicly parting ways over a deal gone south, Disney/Marvel and Sony are back at the table and have struck a deal that would see Marvel produce another Spider-Man film for Sony. The new film even has a release date: July 16, 2021. Jon Watts, the filmmaker behind the previous two Spider-Man films, is in talks to direct.

"I am thrilled that Spidey’s journey in the MCU will continue, and I and all of us at Marvel Studios are very excited that we get to keep working on it,” said Marvel topper Kevin Feige. "Spider-Man is a powerful icon and hero whose story crosses all ages and audiences around the globe. He also happens to be the only hero with the superpower to cross cinematic universes, so as Sony continues to develop their own Spidey-verse you never know what surprises the future might hold.”

Also as part of the arrangement, Spider-Man will appear in a future Marvel movie.
Hollywood Reporter.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 10:40 AM   #2
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Is anyone actually surprised? A deal being worked out between Disney and Sony was inevitable.
Old 09-28-2019, 01:21 PM   #3
BadIronTree
Subscriber

$$$$$$$$$$ yep
Old 09-28-2019, 02:18 PM   #4
Sensei-X
Evil Dead

I'm sure Sony heard the sound of the money train derailing when everyone started to say they were expecting Spider-man 3 and The Amazing Spider-man 2 levels of fail from Sony for the next movie and quickly changed their mind.
Sensei-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 03:10 PM   #5
GinRummy
Evil Dead

He was only gone like a month, so only missed out on two MCU movies.
GinRummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 07:07 PM   #6
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

This news makes me happy. I enjoyed Far From Home but really Spidey's appearances in other MCU movies really did a great job of fleshing out the character, IMO, that the last two Spiderman movies have been able to have a much sharper story focus.

Without the father/son bond with RDJ/Tony Stark and now Happy trying to fill those shoes a bit (and subsequent Stark Tech goodies) I don't think this Spiderman wouldn't have been nearly as awesome a character.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 07:10 PM   #7
Sir_Smokes_Alot
Lord

It's just dumb Spider-man not being with Marvel its like DC not having Batman it's stupid doesn't make any sense
Sir_Smokes_Alot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 01:24 AM   #8
ministryofwrath
Evil Dead

lets make venom great again and buy him aswell?
ministryofwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 01:14 PM   #9
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

I hope this means Venom and others from the Spiderverse are allowed to show up in the MCU.

Imagine Phase 4 and 5 leading to the Secret Wars. Without Venom the first Secret Wars can't happen. The symbiote played way too much a part there.

Granted, it will be strange to do Secret Wars without Steve Rogers and some of the other key characters but there were plenty of changes in the Infinity Gauntlet to match the MCU cast and timeline.
Old 09-30-2019, 01:27 AM   #10
excalibur1814
Evil Dead

Ah.

Homecoming - Boring. Could have been a TV series.
Far From Home - Tame, but reasonable.

I didn't really think much of either Spidey film. (But still better than previous attempts)
excalibur1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 02:52 AM   #11
Inkabodcrane
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by excalibur1814 View Post
Ah.

Homecoming - Boring. Could have been a TV series.
Far From Home - Tame, but reasonable.

I didn't really think much of either Spidey film. (But still better than previous attempts)
Agreed, both MCU Spidey films made a lot of money, but they all do at this point regardless of quality so that doesn't factor in for me.

This just means there will be another watchable and forgettable MCU Spidey film. And he'll show up in more team up films. Honestly I really am over the MCU after Endgame. They are movies made for all ages. They are the same as Pixar films; movies created from their inception to appeal to the widest age group possible to get the most money possible.

I much prefer movies with a vision and story that comes first, the age groups and demographics second. Those types of films are becoming fewer and father away, especially when other studios see the money MCU films make. Joker might be the last comic book film that takes that approach.

Go Against the Flow.
Inkabodcrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 05:16 AM   #12
Inkabodcrane
Evil Dead

Good alternative thoughts on the topic.

Go Against the Flow.
Inkabodcrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 07:00 AM   #13
excalibur1814
Evil Dead

P.s. Far, FAR too much Peter Parker. I don't really care that much for that side of his character, like I'm not that bothered with Clark Kent or Bruce Wayne. It's Spidey, Superman and Batman that I want to see in the films.

I also don't want much human interaction in a film about giant Robots (Transfromers!)
excalibur1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 10:56 AM   #14
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

They need to use the next Spider-Man to bring back Charlie Cox’s Daredevil.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 02:31 PM   #15
Sir_Smokes_Alot
Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max RW View Post
They need to use the next Spider-Man to bring back Charlie Cox’s Daredevil.
Yea it's like everyone forgot about Daredevil
Sir_Smokes_Alot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 03:09 PM   #16
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkabodcrane View Post
Honestly I really am over the MCU after Endgame.
Same.

I'll be getting Disney+ (pulled the trigger on a three year sub at a nice price point) and will just wait for them to land there.

At this point, a Marvel film is a bit like a McDonald's burger. You can count on what it will taste like regardless of who is involved in making it or where it was made or even what's in it. They all blend together like a Borg-like burger of boredom.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 06:39 AM   #17
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

If Joker makes mad cash and nets an Oscar, I wonder what it will mean for both DC comics and the DC movies. After Justice Leage, Warner was just done with Snyder’s darker Dark Knight style universe, but I think Joker is about to show (like Dark Knight) is that only the really dark realistic and violent stuff works for the DC characters. DC isn’t Marvel. In fact, only the dark 80’s and 90’s stuff is the stuff anyone still reads, but that is the stuff DC is now trying to blame for their sales slump???
Old 10-01-2019, 07:42 PM   #18
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
If Joker makes mad cash and nets an Oscar, I wonder what it will mean for both DC comics and the DC movies. After Justice Leage, Warner was just done with Snyder’s darker Dark Knight style universe, but I think Joker is about to show (like Dark Knight) is that only the really dark realistic and violent stuff works for the DC characters. DC isn’t Marvel. In fact, only the dark 80’s and 90’s stuff is the stuff anyone still reads, but that is the stuff DC is now trying to blame for their sales slump???
I hope Joker blows away the box office. That said:

Dark works for "The Dark Knight" and his rogues gallery in the crime ridden, exploited, cynical, scarred people of Gotham.

Superman and even the Justice League in comics, along with almost all non-Gotham locals and cities were far more bright and optimistic. Snyder's attempt to slather the entirety of DC with the dark-wash of Gotham was misguided at best. I think it did permanent damage to the next group of movies right out of the gates.

In other news: for those following the Arrowverse the Crisis of Infinite Earths crossover schedule is available... all episodes will air in December. Also, Tom Welling will be reprising his role as Superman. As will Brandon Routh.

In news related to Spiderman, there are rumors John Krasinski may be coming to the MCU as Reed Richards of the Fantastic Four.

Unfortunately his anti-American and communist wife, Emily Blunt, is rumored to be joining him as Sue Richards.

I guess before any FF movie Reed may show up in Spiderman as Peter's post-Tony Stark mentor.

Tags
spider-man