Last post by Emabulator
Today 02:15 PM
2 Replies, 329 Views

Old 08-15-2018, 07:42 AM   #21
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
See, I don't agree with that notion at all. "Best Picture" and "Picture That Made The Most Money" don't typically go hand-in-hand. By this standard, Disney's live-action remake of Beauty and the Beast would have been in contention for Best Picture for 2017...and I think we can all agree that it wasn't even close to being the best.

I think they need to acknowledge more films than just the Oscar-bait dramas they typically cater to...but I also don't think it should be a prize handed out to the folks who make the most money, simply because they made the most money.
It was #2 that year, not #1.

And given that it made 1.263 Billion worldwide, you just can't argue with success. I agree with you that it might not be that great of a movie (and it certainly isn't something I enjoyed, I could only stand about 20 minutes of it), but that doesn't mean that we are in the majority. I saw a ton of comments from people who just loved that live action Beauty and the Beast.

And I know that it sucks, because the #1 film of 2017 was the horrific The Last Jedi, but in the end it is still a business and Last Jedi made more money than any other film last year. More people went to see it than any other movie that year.

The Oscars are about Hollywood patting Hollywood on the back. No one deserves a pat on the back more than the guy who made the most money.

There should just be a flat Oscar for "Highest Box Office" so that these films that are just breaking mad box office bank get pushed during the program. If the Oscars are still dying because they refuse to give the awards to popular films, there is no better way to fix that than listing the Top 5 biggest box office films along with giving an award to the #1.

Then that year the would have listed:

The Last Jedi
Beauty and the Beast
Wonder Woman
Jumanji 2
Guardians of the Galaxy 2

It's a win/win.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:03 PM   #22
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

The Oscars are supposed to reward the art and craft of film removed from the financial aspect. At one point these were often one and the same when the best movies were also often very financially rewarded. This is clear often through the history of film through the early days all the way till the 60s.

Most people who watched movies back then will usually say the Academy, more often than not, got it mostly right.

However the time came when movies often started pandering to specific audiences and "popular movies" began more and more adopting the frame of the Spectacle Blockbuster, usually releasing in summer. More and more genres became set-in-stone, and more and more tropes became solidified and as the tropes solidified it became harder to stand out as "art" worthy of Oscar consideration.

Then the "art" had to go way outside the mainstream; the audiences had become too desensitized to the craft of film making so the content had to be extra shocking to cover for the sometimes droll craftsmanship.

That is when the rank and file movie-goers started wondering how the hell some movies got best picture. The Academy clearly wasn't judging on any sane quality THEY could see, and when something does that should win makes it through and wins best picture/actor/actress or whatever it is seen as a fluke.

This perception isn't going to change because they add in a new category of "best popular film."

They can't have their cake and eat it too. They have to explain why they picked what they picked as best picture. To all appearances their picks are based on forwarding an agenda or propping up celebrities they feel need a boost or a "it is their turn now" system, not on any actual objective measurement of quality of work.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 12:42 PM   #23
timmyd
Evil Dead

Movies are an antiquated medium that is suitable for Boobs, Bombs and Banter. Movie Awards are an attempt to pretend movies are an artform that has relevance. It doesn't help that there are all these snobs who think seeing movies like "Online Life of Booda", "Miss Persimmon", "Regular Activity with Bob" somehow elevate their social status.

Now they're trying to revive Victoria Lake. Guess using a dead movie star is cheaper than paying a live one.

And the whole original work to movie process is just like eating - it starts out all yummy gets chewed up digested and pushed through a torturous maze to come out as a well, yeah.
timmyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weekly release list