Telltale's Walking Dead:...
Last post by Evil Avatar
Yesterday 05:30 PM
0 Replies, 439 Views

Old 06-23-2018, 05:24 PM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

DC Revives 100 Page Giant Comics for the Mass Market

DC Comics is bringing comic books out of the speciality shops and back into regular retail markets, starting with a new line of 100 Page Giant series that will retail exclusively at Walmart. The Hollywood Reporter has the news.

Quote:
DC Entertainment is reviving a classic comic book format from yesteryear with a new line of comics to be released exclusively through Walmart stores starting next month. The new Giant line of comics — which will run across four monthly titles — will mix all-new original material by some of DC’s top creators with reprints for a 100-page package retailing for $4.99.

The four series — Superman Giant, Batman Giant, Justice League of America Giant and Teen Titans Giant — will feature material from the last 20 years’ worth of material, with each title including characters and strips in addition to the title characters. All four series will launch on July 1, with subsequent issues being released on the first week — Superman and Justice League — and third week — Batman and Teen Titans — of each month.

Creators working on the new material include such fan-favorites as Tom King, Brian Michael Bendis and the Harley Quinn writing team of Jimmy Palmiotti and Amanda Conner, each working on characters outside of their traditional range in the regular DC line, with Bendis working on his first solo Batman material in September — a 12-part story beginning in Batman Giant No. 3 — and Tom King taking on Superman with artist Andy Kubert for their own year-long epic beginning in Superman Giant No. 3. Not to be left behind, Palmiotti and Conner will launch a 12-part Wonder Woman story in the third Justice League issue.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 12:54 AM   #2
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Great idea. This is a no-brainer, really. They should have been doing this years ago. I just hope they create entry-level storylines for people to follow and not all the multi-dimensional, multi-timeline crap dc likes to do
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 05:36 AM   #3
Terran
Evil Dead

They should make these just like regular comics.

* Stories flip and spin on a dime, illogically.
* Story arcs continue across different series with different heroes, making it impossible to follow unless you have an Excel flowchart.
* Instead of entertainment, treat each page like a didactic opportunity to preach to your audience about how terrible they are.
* Ruin long-running characters by transforming them in ways that offend fans rather than creating new characters.
* Since these will be sold at Walmart, make sure they are damaged as much as possible in transit to the stores, then left uncovered so that tweens and teens can ruin the pages by reading them in the aisle.
* Rinse and repeat!!!

Giving people more of their own money...WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS? :D
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 09:54 PM   #4
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

It is a good idea, but since the books are not available in comic shops it means that local shops will be scooping these up by the dozen to sell on eBay and in their stores at premium prices. Good luck actually finding these on the shelf at your local Walmart.

Anything limited or store exclusive always ends up getting scooped up to be resold on eBay and regular people can never get their hands on it.

Great idea, but I see a lot of problems because they are not also available in the comic stores.
Old 06-25-2018, 02:44 AM   #5
Misanthropist
Evil Dead

i liked the idea of 100 page comics, but damn that wal mart exclusivity is slightly offensive to any comic shop owner.
Misanthropist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 03:34 AM   #6
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
It is a good idea, but since the books are not available in comic shops it means that local shops will be scooping these up by the dozen to sell on eBay and in their stores at premium prices. Good luck actually finding these on the shelf at your local Walmart.

Anything limited or store exclusive always ends up getting scooped up to be resold on eBay and regular people can never get their hands on it.

Great idea, but I see a lot of problems because they are not also available in the comic stores.
I don’t foresee that happening. You’d be right if we were talking about something with limited quantities, like the nes mini. But this is something that can be printed in such numbers to dilute the ability for any sort of scalping.vthrre are far more Walmart’s than there are comic shops in the world, and in many more places.
Old 06-25-2018, 03:36 AM   #7
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misanthropist View Post
i liked the idea of 100 page comics, but damn that wal mart exclusivity is slightly offensive to any comic shop owner.
I love comic shops as a relic of the past, but they need to die. Catering to comic shop owners is why books are so expensive and why better digital sales strategies aren’t embraced. We can’t lose the entire industry to keep a few thousand people employed.

Tags
batman, comics, dc comics