Weekend Gamer: What are...
Last post by PatrickRes9
Today 11:35 AM
30 Replies, 970 Views

Old 02-11-2019, 06:44 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

The LEGO Movie 2 Falls Apart

The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part put together the #1 spot on opening weekend, though the $34.4 Million opening was $20 million short of studio projections.

Here is the Weekend Boxoffice Chart for the weekend of February 8th to February 10th, 2019.
  1. The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part $34.4/$34.4
  2. What Men Want $19.0/$19.0
  3. Cold Pursuit $10.8/$10.8
  4. The Upside $7.2/$85.8
  5. Glass $6.4/$98.4
  6. The Prodigy $6.0/$6.0
  7. Green Book $3.5/$61.5
  8. Aquaman $3.3/$328.5
  9. Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse $3.0/$179.8
  10. Miss Bala $2.7/$11.8
  11. A Dog's Way Home $1.9/$38.9
  12. They Shall Not Grow Old $1.6/$13.5
We went to see LEGO Movie 2, it was decent enough, but lacked a lot of the unique settings and vehicles that they had in the first movie.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 07:04 AM   #2
brandonjclark
Evil Dead

Took my 10 and 7 yo to go see Lego Movie 2. My 10yo daughter thought it wasn't as good as the first but my 7yo son looooved it even more than the original.

I thought it was a better sequel than most sequels ever achieve.
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:14 AM   #3
excalibur1814
Evil Dead

The Lego Movie 2

I’ll be honest and state, straight away, that not everything was awesome. It’s a shame, truly, as the first film featured ‘Everything that is awesome’. I really enjoyed Ninjango, liked the Lego Batman film, but this new film seemed to lack 'something'.

It featured, possibly, the best Lego set I’ve ever seen in my entire life... a giant flying Bro-fist (Not available in the U.K but you can buy it in Berlin?). Also Raptor space ships! You simply cannot get better than that. Ever. It did have a lot of funny scenes, with minor giggles, as well as one emotional scene that nearly connected. Overall it’s a cute story, with a message for families that have two, or more, kids. I might watch it again and I'm not sure that it’s worth a cinema visit. Not bad but nowhere near as good as the first (In my opinion).
excalibur1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 12:11 PM   #4
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

I am surprised Lego did so poorly; I expected it to break the bank.

I'm also surprised to see What Men Want do so well. It seemed to be, well boring, and pretty stupid from the trailer but I suppose it feeds into the popular myths of what how hard it is to be a woman in today's world and blah blah blah.

Besides, Mel Gibson already did a movie like this 20 years ago. We didn't need this one.

vallor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 01:02 PM   #5
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
but I suppose it feeds into the popular myths of what how hard it is to be a woman in today's world and blah blah blah.
One of my biggest pet peeves. I know men have their crappy traits so this isn't an us vs them thing. But so many women are continually patting themselves on the back for doing such a good job with their daily struggles. And that patting yourself on the back bugs me with actors, musicians, teachers (and I married a teacher) and many modern women (of course it's not all of them.) But pop culture knows where the cash is and catering to these women in movies, music, and TV seems to work just as well as when you put some boobs in front of a guy.
Chief Smash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 05:34 PM   #6
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
and TV seems to work just as well as when you put some boobs in front of a guy.
I haven't seen the movie but I can expect it a woman walking around reading the minds of guys breaks into one of 6 plot points:

1) Every man thinks about BOOBS (generically)
2) Specially her boobs
3) how they can take advantage of her sexually
4) how she doesn't deserve something because she's a woman
5) how she must be shit at XYZ because she's a woman (I suspect a "woman driving" scenario shows up at least once)
6) how she is a "token" woman in the workplace, must have slept her way to her position and how the "old boys club" is undermining her

It's not rocket surgery but it did make $19m bucks. That's a lot of boyfriends and husbands that had to listen to their other half rant later that night!
vallor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 06:19 PM   #7
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Ummm... they realize the west coast was BURIED in snow last weekend, right?? Was gonna take my son but the snow stopped us cold. We are approaching TWO FEET in the Seattle area, holy hell... and its still coming down. SNOWPOCALYPSE!
Old 02-12-2019, 04:33 PM   #8
paragondk1
Dread Lord

Saw the Lego Movie 2 today.

I don't usually like animation here in my thirties, but this one was almost as fun as the first Lego Movie imo (which was quite great!). Great little flick. My son loved it too.
paragondk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 03:30 AM   #9
Wizzkidd
Evil Dead

My wife and I saw Liam Neeson's new one, Cold Pursuit. The film was a revenge story, but it kept trying to be a comedy as well, like a Shane Black film. Those can be good, but it just felt off a lot of the time. When I go to see a Liam Neeson revenge film, I'm not interested in getting a bunch of silly slapstick comedy shoehorned in.

Really, I was fine with it for the most part. At the end, I was ready to say I pretty much liked it. But the very last scene was so stupid it pushed it over the edge from "good" to "I'll forget about this in a couple days and never care about it again."

Go Against the Flow.
Wizzkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 07:35 AM   #10
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
Ummm... they realize the west coast was BURIED in snow last weekend, right?? Was gonna take my son but the snow stopped us cold. We are approaching TWO FEET in the Seattle area, holy hell... and its still coming down. SNOWPOCALYPSE!
I call Bullshit. Because there is the Global Warming and all.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:59 AM   #11
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
I call Bullshit. Because there is the Global Warming and all.
Climate and weather are two different things, for what it's worth.
Old 02-13-2019, 08:00 AM   #12
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
So are jokes and serious posts.
Chief Smash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 09:48 AM   #13
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
So are jokes and serious posts.
It's getting harder every day to tell, with some of the folks around here.
Old Yesterday, 09:08 PM   #14
Kawika
Dread Lord

We went to go watch the movie. We both sat in the theater for about 5 minutes playing a game of chicken to see who would say, lets go. I wasn't the only one another family behind us went to the manager and asked for re-entry tickets.

This one didn't hook me at all. It was just obnoxious from the get go. I will admit, i could have not been in the mood but I have also only walked out of one other movie in my whole life.
Kawika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:54 AM   #15
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
Are we back to an ice age is coming yet? You cultist can't seem to make up your minds with your phony data and schilling to tax people for breathing.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:31 AM   #16
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Are we back to an ice age is coming yet? You cultist can't seem to make up your minds with your phony data and schilling to tax people for breathing.
You'd think by now the absence of the 'end' they have called for and predicted numerous times over would have clued them in to the nature of their computer climate models...snake oil and tea leaves.

Don't expect any shame or reformulation of their hypothesis, however. Government expansion and control requires the end to occur soon enough to make government expansion imperative, and damn it, it's just going to happen up around the next...next...next...next...bend. Besides, fact free hypothesizing on their part does not require reevaluation based upon factual information. Dems, the Party of Science!™
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:46 AM   #17
Wizzkidd
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
You'd think by now the absence of the 'end' they have called for and predicted numerous times over would have clued them in to the nature of their computer climate models...snake oil and tea leaves.

Don't expect any shame or reformulation of their hypothesis, however. Government expansion and control requires the end to occur soon enough to make government expansion imperative, and damn it, it's just going to happen up around the next...next...next...next...bend. Besides, fact free hypothesizing on their part does not require reevaluation based upon factual information. Dems, the Party of Science!™
I will clue you all in since you obviously haven't heard. That's okay, I know we all have lives that can distract us.

Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) stated that the world will end in 12 years due to climate change.

She is a congresswoman, so obviously she knows more than anyone in this forum, let alone world. We had better start prepping, and stop driving cars. She plans to make gasoline illegal in 10 years anyways, and also make the gas you use to heat your house illegal.

Better start prepping peeps. She's probably right.

Go Against the Flow.
Old Today, 05:58 AM   #18
Wizzkidd
Evil Dead

On February 18th, 2031, we will be dead. Maybe a small fraction of us will still be alive using body heat and the occasional solar panels (which will be fine in the snow clouds) to stay warm and live. Everyone who lived on the coast will be dead. As the oceans started to rise, they never left their homes to move inward. They sat there while the water first touched their toes, then years later their ankles, then years later their knees, and so forth. The mass casualties will be insurmountable. The people living on the coasts will die because the ocean was rising. They can't do anything about it. They will die.

In 2031 they will notice a little water making their carpets wet. In 2041 they will be irritated by the fact that their shoes get wet when they walk to the bathroom. In 2051 they will wonder why they have to swim to the bathroom. In 2061 they will think that they should have moved somewhere else as they breaststroke to the kitchen to get dinner. All of the scientists will have died. There will be no solutions to aid in preventing or minimalizing the ever rising ocean. Boats will sink. Humanity is doomed. Everyone will just slowly drown, over the course of decades.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is like Jesus. She is our savior, but not many people listen to her.

Go Against the Flow.
Old Today, 06:57 AM   #19
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

She better learn to start walking on water, because right now she is drowning in BS.
Old Today, 07:11 AM   #20
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Well, that's what global warming/climate change/whatever they're currently calling it would theoretically lead to; increasing the global temperature would lead to significantly increased melting of the ice caps, which would ultimately result in dramatically cooling global temperatures and possibly another mini-ice age.

Will this ultimately happen? I guess we'll just have to wait and see how things play out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzkidd View Post
My wife and I saw Liam Neeson's new one, Cold Pursuit. The film was a revenge story, but it kept trying to be a comedy as well, like a Shane Black film. Those can be good, but it just felt off a lot of the time. When I go to see a Liam Neeson revenge film, I'm not interested in getting a bunch of silly slapstick comedy shoehorned in.

Really, I was fine with it for the most part. At the end, I was ready to say I pretty much liked it. But the very last scene was so stupid it pushed it over the edge from "good" to "I'll forget about this in a couple days and never care about it again."
It's an American remake of In Order of Disappearance, starring Stellan Skarsgard. I haven't seen Liam Neeson's version, but the original is pretty great; it does a very good job of maintaining the seriousness of a revenge story while having plenty of dark comedy/gallows humor to keep things entertaining. If you're okay with subtitles, I'd recommend the original in a heartbeat.

Tags
weekend boxoffice chart