Weekend Gamer: What are...
Last post by PatrickRes9
Today 11:35 AM
30 Replies, 970 Views

Old 01-21-2019, 07:19 PM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

M Night Shamalamadingdong Wins Big at the Weekend Box Office

The Glass is more than half full for Blumhouse Productions as M. Night Shyamalan's Glass brought in $40 Million, just shy of the $50 Million the studio had been predicting.

Here is the Weekend Boxoffice Chart for the Weekend of January 18h to January 20th, 2019.
  1. Glass $40.5/$40.5
  2. The Upside $15.0/$43.3
  3. Aquaman $10.1/$304.1
  4. Dragon Ball Super: Broly $9.7/$20.2
  5. Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse $7.5/$158.5
  6. A Dog's Way Home $7.1/$21.3
  7. Escape Room $5.6/$41.0
  8. Mary Poppins Returns $5.2/$158.7
  9. Bumblebee $4.7/$116.0
  10. On the Basis of Sex $3.8/$16.7
  11. The Mule $3.2/$96.6
  12. Bohemian Rhapsody $2.3/$202.0

We saw Glass on Saturday, a great flick and a nice ending for the series. Seems like the old M. Knight is back!
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 07:27 PM   #2
Terran
Evil Dead

Glass was okay. My wife was bored by it, and I just modestly enjoyed it. I think you need to be a real fan of comics and/or superheroes to get into all the talking that takes place about both while not much else occurs.

Give it a rental, or even a stream. Save your money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 07:41 PM   #3
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

I would have liked to see a lot more of both Mr. Glass and David Dunn, but I think because they got a whole movie they felt like they didn't need to go over that ground a second time.

The ending was good and kinda sad and it had a decent twist, which is what I would also say about Split.

I'm glad to see M. Knight back in form though. I read a book about the making of Lady in the Water and while that is just a terrible movie, I took away from the book that this is someone who really wants to make great stuff. He doesn't always get it right, but he isn't just another shallow Hollywood director looking to make a buck.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:00 PM   #4
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

I thought it was his 3rd best movie behind 6th Sense and Unbreakable. It did justice to all the characters, told a good story, had a good twists, though it would have been nice to be able to predict it. I thought I had an idea of it but I was way off.

This movie put a nice capper into the movie series, and totally opened the lore for expansion, hopefully by someone other than M. Knight. I’d like to see a Showtime or HBO series or something but I am not sure if M. Knight can do much more with it than this.

Spoiler: After all, this is “an origin story”
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 08:09 PM   #5
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Yea, I think the "Superman Punch" was a hint that there are a lot more super heroes out there.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:00 PM   #6
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

I saw Glass too, after re-seeing Unbreakable the night before. Glass was great, but holy crap Unbreakable was really boring.

Adding Split to the mix really makes the trilogy shine. I can't get over how amazing an actor James McAvoy is. And I can't get over how incredibly HOT Anya Taylor Joy is. Every time I see her on screen I waggle my tongue like Gene Simmons. And I think back to that scene in The Witch when the devil talks to her and says "delicious". Then when she floats up into the sky naked. TMI?
Old 01-22-2019, 05:15 AM   #7
Wizzkidd
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
I can't get over how amazing an actor James McAvoy is. And I can't get over how incredibly HOT Anya Taylor Joy is.
Check and check. You know man, ever since you started talking about how hot she is, I've really noticed. She's hot as hell.

I liked Glass, it could have been better I think, but I did like it and am glad I watched it.

This is a good spoiler review that I tend to agree with, you should watch it if you've seen the movie. It helps describe what I think a lot of us felt.

Go Against the Flow.
Wizzkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 07:02 AM   #8
BalekFekete
Claptrap Bitch

Not quite sure how to feel about Glass after seeing it. It's certainly not M. Knight's worst work, but at the same time far from his best. I'll be looking to watch it again once it hits the pay channels/PPV and see how much I missed or overlooked in the first viewing in the theater (while trying to make sure the wife doesn't doze off ).

Spoilers: I very much like how the three characters are set to play off of eachother, however, McAvoy easily overpowered both SLJ and Willis - a real testiment to how exceptional he is as an actor and specifically in this role. I was hoping to see more of his personalities highlighted in the film and was thankfully rewarded with percisely that. Doubt his performance will be recognized but I'd love to at least see a nomination come his way for this work.

I went in knowing there will be a twist in the movie and one that I won't see coming...and I was largely right. That said, the walk-up to it seemed disjointed in retrospect and didn't flow together quite as well as some of M. Knight's other movies. Perhaps I'm still piecing it together in my head, but I'm not sure...it still left me feeling like I must have missed something important.

What I did really like was how the movie ended with an opening to something that could be either another trilogy or more. But again, at the same time I thought it very anti-climatic how each of the characters died. Drowned in a puddle? I want to be pissed but once again...conflicted as it does demonstrate how fragile the superpowers can be. A really nifty twist that was done very well.
Old 01-22-2019, 07:17 AM   #9
shadow763
Lord of Woe

Maybe I will check out Glass now that the community here seems to be more for it than against it.

I saw Bumblebee over the weekend, and it was slower than I anticipated. Good overall, but not great. Definitely good to see Transformers in a style I can gel with. The beginning shows that a whole CG movie done in 80s style Transformers would be glorious.
shadow763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:59 AM   #10
excalibur1814
Evil Dead

" The beginning shows that a whole CG movie done in 80s style Transformers would be glorious."

Please... ultra pretty please! If the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles can (more or less) have their own film, then so can The Transformers (Robots in Disguise... Da da daa da daa da daa etc)
excalibur1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 08:15 PM   #11
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

I saw Glass tonight. Overall I enjoyed it but it was a pretty slow burn and I really disliked the ending.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weekend boxoffice chart