Last post by brandonjclark
Today 11:50 AM
22 Replies, 1,292 Views
» Promotion

Old 04-02-2014, 09:30 PM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Photobombing Donation Thread

Everyone please thank lockwoodx, whose photobombing just cost us our Google banners account due to multiple threads where he has posted nude or semi-nude images -- pretty much always off topic for the thread. (Though still kinda awesome.)

That's going to cost us a significant amount of money, perhaps up to $2k a year.

Our hosting costs run around $3k a year, so you can see that those banners were supporting a major part of running the page.

If you want to step up and donate to the page, now would be a good time to do that!

You killed Kenny. You bastards!
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:45 PM   #2
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post

Everyone please thank lockwood, whose photobombing just cost us our Google banners account due to multiple threads where he has posted nude or semi-nude images -- pretty much always off topic for the thread.

That's going to cost us a significant amount of money, perhaps up to $2k a year.

Our hosting costs run around $3k a year, so you can see that those banners were supporting a major part of running the page.

If you want to step up and donate to the page, now would be a good time to do that!

You killed Kenny. You bastards!
It was fun while it lasted. Thanks for allowing it big guy. (it takes two to tango, not to mention I'm hardly the only person who posted said material there)

edit: Come to think of it the reason I got into my first disagreements with pope and anenome was over being against them posting that kind of material when they'd use it to get Gzsfrk's attention. I've only recently posted anything considered "racy" just trying to please the crowd. It's unfortunate this happened.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaATR View Post
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
lockwoodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:48 PM   #3
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockwoodx View Post
It was fun while it lasted. Thanks for allowing it big guy. (it takes two to tango, not to mention I'm hardly the only person who posted said material there)
Bah, it is impossible to be mad at you. Everyone has enjoyed that we have photo rights and used it for tons of fun over the years.

It is crazy that some Google advertiser has gone and picked out random threads from years ago to start hitting us with complaints. I deleted the images from those threads, but my impression of how things run at these big faceless companies like Google is that once you are blocked, that's pretty much it.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:56 PM   #4
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Quote:
Bah, it is impossible to be mad at you. Everyone has enjoyed that we have photo rights and used it for tons of fun over the years.

It is crazy that some Google advertiser has gone and picked out random threads from years ago to start hitting us with complaints. I deleted the images from those threads, but my impression of how things run at these big faceless companies like Google is that once you are blocked, that's pretty much it.
That's why I don't jump to take things personally like so many do on the net, because I pride myself in having icewater for blood. I knew there was no reason to get upset over being singled out and a rational explanation would manifest itself eventually.

Thank you
Quote:
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
Old 04-02-2014, 10:13 PM   #5
Zelos
Evil Dead

Wait...there were nude photos on this site and I was not informed!?!

Why not Zoidberg?
Zelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:25 PM   #6
thatlukeguy
Soul Reaper

Can't tell if I should be worried...or looking for those pictures..
thatlukeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:37 PM   #7
Zane
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelos View Post
Wait...there were nude photos on this site and I was not informed!?!
Holy crap, now you'll never be able to find nude pictures on the internet! NoOoOOoooOoo!!
Zane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:40 PM   #8
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zane View Post
Holy crap, now you'll never be able to find nude pictures on the internet! NoOoOOoooOoo!!
Yea, the stuff around here is so tame that I can't believe this ever became an issue.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:58 PM   #9
Rommel
International Playboy

Wait, what nude photos? I do not remember there being any nudes on the page. Surely you aren't referring to the images of girls in Cosplay outfits?
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:03 AM   #10
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
Wait, what nude photos? I do not remember there being any nudes on the page. Surely you aren't referring to the images of girls in Cosplay outfits?
No, there were a couple of actual nudes. One was an awesome gif of some naked girl twerking. That's the one that got us bocked. It was just a butt shot, but the second one of their advertisers complains then you are kinda cut off.

Hopefully, we can make it up with donations and ignore it. I would rather have less banners anyway.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:19 AM   #11
Scherge
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Hopefully, we can make it up with donations and ignore it. I would rather have less banners anyway.
When reading the post, my first thought was "Hey, that's where all these bouncy 'League of Angels' banners were coming from!" Now you're telling me those weren't Lockwoodx's doing?
Okay, that was a lie.

Serves me right for never looking at anything but the main page, I guess. Off to donate now, since I'm mostly relying on EvAv to distill (and sometimes, analyze) the industry news for me. It's been almost a year, anyway...
Old 04-03-2014, 02:41 AM   #12
KlausFlouride
Poisoned 2 my rotten core

SO now without the banners we can have more pr0n?!
Old 04-03-2014, 02:46 AM   #13
Rommel
International Playboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlausFlouride View Post
SO now without the banners we can have more pr0n?!
That seems to be the lesson here.
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 03:42 AM   #14
Kreigmstr
Evil Dead

Quote:
No, there were a couple of actual nudes. One was an awesome gif of some naked girl twerking. That's the one that got us bocked. It was just a butt shot, but the second one of their advertisers complains then you are kinda cut off.

The google banner ads were abusing the site anyways. They would hit two or three ad pages without people even clicking on the banners. You could see it if you ever tried to use the back button. You would have to hit it 2 or 3 times to go back 1 page. And if you right-clicked the button you could see a list of 2 or 3 ad links in the history.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:49 AM   #15
lockwoodx
Photobomber

and now for the ultimate thread derail....

Look at what my friend in Aussie found at work!

Quote:
Old 04-03-2014, 04:03 AM   #16
Sinistar
Evil Dead

For the record, I've had a few sites that "the Google" did the same account blocking thing to - but they were never the biggest player in our ad networks. At the same time, Amazon almost always matched them dollar for dollar.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:06 AM   #17
Doctor Apocalypse
Evil Dead

Well i have been lurking for years, about time i gave back.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:57 AM   #18
AspectVoid
Evil Dead

So, confession time. I've had lockwoodx on ignore for years because he kept posting images with a horizontal length larger than my browser window, and I hate having to scroll horizontally. I had no idea he was posting awesome stuff that would get the ads cancelled.
AspectVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 05:11 AM   #19
shadow763
Lord of Woe

I ignore no one. I want my internet unclean!

Ill donate some more right now. Was planning on throwing money at the site on a semi regular basis now anyways.
shadow763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:30 AM   #20
sai tyrus
Renegade Paragon

I'll gladly throw some cash your way Evil. It will be a few weeks, but I've got no problem hooking a brother up! Thanks for the fantastic site, great community, and allowing me to post random shit. Its also super sweet that we can go toe to toe with you and not get banned.

Seriously though, I really enjoy this community and want to give everyone props for being themselves. Always entertaining

Random bit, I removed google ads from my site because I think they're a bunch of assholes. lol. I certainly don't get the amount of traffic you guys do. You should also become an amazon affiliate. For in-house reviews and such, you guys could really generate some cash. Hell, even the ones I do and link to, I'd gladly set up a link to purchase stuff where you get the profits (for the stuff that's posted here). You giys could easily edit those in to my posts as well. If you'd like to discuss that more, PM me. But I think there's definitely potential there.

There's also a HUGE opportunity for that in recent releases you guys do. If y'all aren't doing that already. I noticed you link to each one. But I've never seen a disclaimer saying your an amazon affiliate. Asking the community to purchase items through each post is also fine. You guys really have a LOT of potential there, Evil.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve!" - Bilbo Baggins
sai tyrus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
condescending shit, pure evil