Last post by Dag-Sabot
Yesterday 08:40 AM
10 Replies, 918 Views

Old 05-29-2018, 05:29 PM   #1
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

Andrew Lincoln Leaving The Walking Dead After Season 9

Quote:
Almost unbelievable on a show where almost no one is said to be safe, the man who has played Rick Grimes since the beginning of the series based on Robert Kirkmanís comics could be gone by the end of the upcoming ninth season, I hear. With contract talks still underway, the exact parameters of that exit for the lead in the ensemble cast are being determined, but it looks like Lincoln will be a presence in about six episodes of the new season.
via Deadline.com

I haven't watched the last couple of seasons anyway but when I did, I watched for Lincoln.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 06:16 PM   #2
Terran
Evil Dead

How the hell is this show able to keep going on and on and on? Two, maybe three seasons, should have been it. People are actually still watching? :boggle:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 06:21 PM   #3
Wizzkidd
Evil Dead

Lincoln departs the show, I stop watching the show. It's a very up and down show, but he stole every scene he was in. It's some of the other more irritating or boring characters and plot lines that drag it down.

Go Against the Flow.
Wizzkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 06:34 PM   #4
TheHulk
Evil Dead

I’d say it’s time for some actual zombie themed shows. The whole Governor/Negan thing is very tired.
Old 05-29-2018, 07:04 PM   #5
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

Killing off Carl in the show made his character's existence almost totally meaningless. That said, I stopped watching every week after they concluded the Governor's story. It went rapidly downhill after and I totally checked out sometime during Alexandria.

They will hand off the lead to Norman Reedus (Daryl) and end it after season 10 unless there's a miracle.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 07:55 PM   #6
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

I got a little tired of Rick and his angst early on. I think it'll be healthy for the show to get rid of him. He's not made many good decisions, after all.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 08:03 PM   #7
MusicToEat
Evil Dead

This explains the end of last season.
MusicToEat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 08:15 PM   #8
Meeks
Evil Dead

Right, the stage is set pretty nicely for Rick's exit at this point.
Old 05-30-2018, 12:21 AM   #9
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

They will have to wrap it up pretty quickly without Rick. I don’t think people will stick around if there definitively no point to it any longer.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 03:12 AM   #10
Balhem
Evil Dead

I don't know why everyone hates on this show so much. I find it quite enjoyable, and I guess I like character development in the long run along with action. Yes there are some boring episodes a bit, however I don't know of a show that lasts beyond a season or two that doesn't have them.
Old 05-30-2018, 08:44 AM   #11
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

It almost sounds like they are just going to end the show after season 9. There really is no Walking Dead TV show without Rick. For the comics, you could live without that character and replace him with someone else (Negan comes to mind if you follow the more recent comics), but I'm not sure that works in a TV show.

Given that they have two Walking Dead shows at the same time, they will probably shut this one down and start a new one after Rick leaves.
Old 05-30-2018, 08:46 AM   #12
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balhem View Post
I don't know why everyone hates on this show so much. I find it quite enjoyable, and I guess I like character development in the long run along with action. Yes there are some boring episodes a bit, however I don't know of a show that lasts beyond a season or two that doesn't have them.
Everything since Negan showed up has been terrible. The pacing is just way off. It's just slow and dull and really lacks tension. I totally just love Jeffrey Dean Morgan as Negan, he's amazing, it's just that they aren't using him.

He should be both terrifying and cool at the same time, instead you mostly just wonder why someone doesn't put a bullet in the back of his head the second he turns around. He doesn't inspire any fear in the show.
Old 05-30-2018, 08:51 AM   #13
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balhem View Post
I donít think ďeveryoneĒ hates the show. I donít watch it personally. I just think that the masses werenít prepared for what TWD is. They were expecting a show with. Heroes and villains and a clear direction toward victory.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:45 AM   #14
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
Given that they have two Walking Dead shows at the same time, they will probably shut this one down and start a new one after Rick leaves.
For Chris Hardwick's sake, I hope this is what they end up doing. What would he do without those wonderful post-episode shows?
Old 05-30-2018, 10:13 AM   #15
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
I don’t think “everyone” hates the show. I don’t watch it personally. I just think that the masses weren’t prepared for what TWD is. They were expecting a show with. Heroes and villains and a clear direction toward victory.
The masses loved it and still mostly do. The show's main problem is the same as the comic. After a while it gets repetitive and boring to the point where you can map out how an entire season will run. Another issue is it's stuck on cable tv with very few "standalone" episodes. So The Walking Dead's ratings drop year after year because of the predictable writing and more people are binge watching streaming shows on Netflix rather than wait for every Sunday to come around and maybe catch the latest episode. If they want the show moving forward they need to shorten the seasons to 10 really strong episodes with no commercials and release them online all at once.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 04:03 PM   #16
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max RW View Post
The masses loved it and still mostly do. The show's main problem is the same as the comic. After a while it gets repetitive and boring to the point where you can map out how an entire season will run.
That's what I meant in saying that the masses weren't quite prepared for it. Kirkman's original pitch for The Walking Dead was that it was a zombie movie that never ends. Never. In the monthly issues, he has a huge letters column in the back where he answers fan letters personally. He would repeatedly answer fan questions about the "solution" to the apocalypse by saying that he never envisioned one.

I think that people who got into the story with the show were expecting a LITTLE bit of bleakness, but then they wanted the show to eventually uncover a bigger mystery or a government coverup or some trite problem that the "heroes" could "solve".

I think that, as the show went on, people kept thinking, "so there's REALLY no end? There's REALLY no problem to solve? You mean... REALLY?" and they stopped watching as a result.

That's what I read from comments from lapsed fans on the internet, anyhow.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:09 AM   #17
timmyd
Evil Dead

I heard TMC is suing Campbells Soup after their Walking Dead Special Edition soup revealed the entire series scripts by including the words you,them,me,everybody,nobody,anybody,do it,got to,kill,survive.
timmyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 09:15 AM   #18
timmyd
Evil Dead

I will say it seems unnatural that humanity would be stuck in tribal warfare with small arms. That's my main problem with the show. Wouldn't it be more interesting to follow a character who is searching for information? There doesn't have to be a solution as long as reasonable stuff is found to advance the story - but good god do not have the "I know everything but can't tell you, you wouldn't understand " character. Unless he dies during extreme torture. Hate those characters.
timmyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 09:46 AM   #19
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyd View Post
I will say it seems unnatural that humanity would be stuck in tribal warfare with small arms. That's my main problem with the show. Wouldn't it be more interesting to follow a character who is searching for information? There doesn't have to be a solution as long as reasonable stuff is found to advance the story - but good god do not have the "I know everything but can't tell you, you wouldn't understand " character. Unless he dies during extreme torture. Hate those characters.
Well I think thatís the cliche that TWD was trying to subvert. The conspiracy angle. It basically becomes Resident Evil at that point.

I think perhaps the big problem is that a small comic subverting cliches is normal. But nobody expected it to become the first serialized horror television show. It would have been cliche for the comic to tell the story you want, but it actually would have been novel for a television show to do it.
Old 05-31-2018, 10:02 AM   #20
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

My biggest problem with the show is that it fell into the Dragon Ball pattern of villains; as the main characters overcome increasingly powerful villains, the next ones are that much more powerful/difficult than those preceding them. Eventually, the stakes just get raised too high.