Today 04:43 PM
1 Replies, 378 Views
» Promotion

Old 04-20-2017, 11:51 AM   #21
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
Yeah, based on my experience with Overwatch?

I'd rather pay for my skins and mounts than have to grind endlessly for boxes on the off-chance I might FINALLY get a skin variant or mount that I want. I'd rather pay $15 for the legendary Tassadar Mech skin than $500 on a bunch of lotto boxes hoping that I get it because I really (really) hate playing Tassadar but I'm a collector so my only option to get the skin is through completely random boxes.

This is a bad, bad system.
I don't think it's quite that bad, really. I mean, it's not like you can technically get duplicate items; if a duplicate spawns, it gives you an amount of in-game currency in it's place. Eventually, the money will pile up rather rapidly and you can just buy what you want without spending a real-world dime.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:27 PM   #22
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
I don't think it's quite that bad, really. I mean, it's not like you can technically get duplicate items; if a duplicate spawns, it gives you an amount of in-game currency in it's place. Eventually, the money will pile up rather rapidly and you can just buy what you want without spending a real-world dime.
Let's talk about the whole shards thing. 30 emojis per character (50 characters?) at least 5 voice lines per character. 4 - 8 skins per character with at least 3 color variations. How many sprays? Duplicates aren't going to come in THAT fast and furious certainly not enough to get the swath of costume and mount variations. Based on my time in the PTR you could probably level up a character to 10 and get the 10,000 gold in the old game to buy the master skin before you could get the same (unlock the master skin, all three color variations as well as all three mount variations) in 2.0. And probably for far less money and much less time at the rate they grant chests.

Here's what Heroes 2.0 should have been:
1) Smooth the leveling curve
2) Give out gold at the same regular cadence
3) Allow mounts and skins to be bought with gold

DONE!

People who believe Heroes 2.0 is anything more than a smoke screen to throw in 1001 ways of monetizing players are probably stupid enough to think this is art.

Last edited by vallor; 04-20-2017 at 10:11 PM..
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:15 PM   #23
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Remember valor only EA is evil for nickel and diming people, it's completely alright if it's Blizzard or Nintendo, just cuz.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:28 PM   #24
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

I don't begrudge anyone making money with a great game. When I find those games I tend to become a whale and spend a lot of money.

This seems like a complete lack of recognition to their whales. When this change goes through I hope they find a bunch of minnows ready to take my place because I'm going to go back to the kiddie pool.

I don't do blind box for the very same reason I don't gamble. The house always wins and the customer never, ever, ever wins.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 05:21 AM   #25
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
Let's talk about the whole shards thing. 30 emojis per character (50 characters?) at least 5 voice lines per character. 4 - 8 skins per character with at least 3 color variations. How many sprays? Duplicates aren't going to come in THAT fast and furious certainly not enough to get the swath of costume and mount variations. Based on my time in the PTR you could probably level up a character to 10 and get the 10,000 gold in the old game to buy the master skin before you could get the same (unlock the master skin, all three color variations as well as all three mount variations) in 2.0. And probably for far less money and much less time at the rate they grant chests.

Here's what Heroes 2.0 should have been:
1) Smooth the leveling curve
2) Give out gold at the same regular cadence
3) Allow mounts and skins to be bought with gold

DONE!
I'm basing my comment on my rather brief experience with Overwatch; I only played it for a few weeks, but I had stuff rolling in fairly regularly. I was comfortable enough with the pace and never really felt compelled to drop money on the skins.

Assuming they're using the exact same system, it's not that bad in practice...although it can certainly be a pain in the ass if you're looking to get one specific skin out of it.

Tags
heroes of the storm