Incredibles 2 Delivers...
Last post by Evil Avatar
Today 05:20 PM
10 Replies, 720 Views

Old 03-05-2018, 05:51 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Black Panther's Reign Continues for a Third Weekend #Oscars

Wakanda's reign shows no signs of waning with Black Panther thge king of the box office for the third straight weekend.

Here is the Weekend Boxoffice Chart for the weekend of March 2nd to March 4th, 2018.
  1. Black Panther $65.7/$501.1
  2. Red Sparrow $17.0/$17.0
  3. Death Wish $13.0/$13.0
  4. Game Night $10.7/$33.5
  5. Peter Rabbit $10.0/$84.0
  6. Annihilation $5.6/$20.6
  7. Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle $4.5/$393.2
  8. Fifty Shades Freed $3.3/$95.5
  9. The Greatest Showman $2.6/$164.6
  10. Every Day $1.5/$5.2
  11. The 15:17 to Paris $1.4/$35.0
  12. The Shape of Water $1.4/$57.3
I caught Annihilation on Saturday, it is a really decent flick that is dragged down by an almost incomprehensible ending that is as boring as it is strange. It almost feels like they made some other ending, then brought in some 3rd string director who replaced the last 15 minutes of the film. I suspect studio meddling because I can't see how the writer/director of ex machina could write something so bad. It makes sense now why the film bombed.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 08:35 AM   #2
Terran
Evil Dead

I think Annihilation bombed in large part because of Natalie Portman. I can't take her seriously in any role, least of all watching her wielding a weapon like a tough scientist shooting shit (trailers). She's a crappy actor.

Giving people more of their own money...WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS? :D
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 06:53 PM   #3
MavenACTG
Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
I think Annihilation bombed in large part because of Natalie Portman. I can't take her seriously in any role, least of all watching her wielding a weapon like a tough scientist shooting shit (trailers). She's a crappy actor.
The 2004, 2010, and 2016 Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences respectfully disagrees.

I would, however, agree that she is perhaps not the best choice for genre work.
MavenACTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 10:13 PM   #4
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

I had bigger hopes for Annihilation. I guess free is still free with the movie pass but I'd heard a lot of good things about the book.
vallor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 06:46 AM   #5
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavenACTG View Post
The 2004, 2010, and 2016 Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences respectfully disagrees.
OMG, she won an OSCAR? You mean, the same award given to The Shape of Water? I respectfully disagree with any correlation between an Oscar and actual timeless recognition of excellence in art.

If it makes you feel any better I'm going to see it tonight even though I think she's terrible. Because it's so dang cheap (MoviePass...costs me about $2/movie as I see five or more...sometimes many more...a month). And I'm curious about the story. And I want to laugh at her as she fires a weapon.

Old 03-06-2018, 08:11 AM   #6
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

I agree. She's okay at times but mostly I think she falls pretty flat.
Maybe that's the in thing though because I feel the same way, only more so, about Jennifer Lawrence and yet every time she's in a movie, it seems to be big news.
Quote:
And I want to laugh at her as she fires a weapon.
What you don't think this looks good?
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 08:21 AM   #7
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
I feel the same way, only more so, about Jennifer Lawrence and yet every time she's in a movie, it seems to be big news.
She's big news because she's a loudmouth progressive. She's also had three films in a row flop at the box office. I think she's a terrible actor as well.

Old 03-06-2018, 01:46 PM   #8
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

I saw the Red Sparrow trailer. The Boris and Natasha accents are amazing.
Old 03-06-2018, 04:51 PM   #9
NACIONAL
Evil Dead

Quote:
She's big news because she's a loudmouth progressive. She's also had three films in a row flop at the box office. I think she's a terrible actor as well.
I Also think "the fappening" helped with her notoriety and fame
NACIONAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 05:05 PM   #10
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
I had bigger hopes for Annihilation. I guess free is still free with the movie pass but I'd heard a lot of good things about the book.
The book is flat out excellent and the movie is pretty good right up until the last 10 minutes or so and then it has the cheezy sterotypical horror movie "It's not over." ending.

Everything about the ending just screams Hollywood cliche. But, I enjoyed the movie.
Old 03-06-2018, 08:42 PM   #11
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
the movie is pretty good right up until the last 10 minutes or so
My wife hated it.
I thought it was completely average to mediocre until the final ten minutes, at which point it became utter garbage.

I'd give it a "Don't bother" rating. My wife would give it a "What a waste of our time" rating.

You'd do better with Paddington 2, and that was crap except for the scenes with the prison cook (which were hilarious).

Old 03-06-2018, 09:10 PM   #12
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

I have read a few articles from women talking about the concept of the "it" girl. I'm not sure I agree with what they say, but it IS interesting that Hollywood stil seems to Ben ever searching for one woman they can fawn over as being a "thing".

Angelina Jolie, Katie Holmes, Jennifer Lawrence, and Natalie Portman all got elevated to the level of being "great actors" despite, as far as I know, never really being that great in anything. I feel like they mostly became famous for what they did offscreen and people conflated their constant pop culture relevance with them actually being good at what they do.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 04:24 AM   #13
KlausFlouride
Poisoned 2 my rotten core

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
I have read a few articles from women talking about the concept of the "it" girl. I'm not sure I agree with what they say, but it IS interesting that Hollywood stil seems to Ben ever searching for one woman they can fawn over as being a "thing".

Angelina Jolie, Katie Holmes, Jennifer Lawrence, and Natalie Portman all got elevated to the level of being "great actors" despite, as far as I know, never really being that great in anything. I feel like they mostly became famous for what they did offscreen and people conflated their constant pop culture relevance with them actually being good at what they do.
Jolie/Holmes are mediocre at best. Jolie is a pretty good director. Lawrence(Wintersbone)/Portman(Black Swan) were their two best works. I think it depends on what they are cast in.
Old 03-11-2018, 05:33 AM   #14
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Portman’s best work is still Leon (The Professional). The part where she is knocking on Leon’s door with the bag of milk crying and hoping he will let her in after the killers just shot up her family is still maybe one of the most powerful moments in her film career.

Her midriff’s best work is Attack of the Clones.

I went and watched Death Wish. It was... OK. Not really up to the Charles Bronson standard and not necessary to see on a big screen. It is exactly what you’d expect from the trailer.

This is a completely unremarkable movie with the exception of the casting for fans of Bruce Willis.

Bruce Willis plays Dr. Bruce Willis who’s wife and daughter are victims of a crime, and after a Very. Slow. Ramp. Up. he gets a gun and starts doing some vigilante justice stuff looking for those bad guys while trying to stay ahead of the cops.

As I expected Willis didn’t play the character with any of the same sort of menace Bronson brought. Bronson’s character felt like he had a bar of iron inside him that was being forged. Willis was just sort of at the end of his rope and looking for anything to hang on to... he wasn’t scary, he was desperate.

Where Bronson went on a rampage Willis went on a gory episode of Moonlighting.

One of the brighter spots was Vincent Dnofreo who played a great support as Doctor Bruce Willis’ brother. They spent only slightly more time introducing us to him as they do the bad guys but he put all that time to good use.

My recommendation is to Movie Pass it if you have a few hours to burn, or catch the cheap showing if you HAVE to see Bruce Willis on the big screen but there aren’t any shots or vistas or panoramic scenes that scream for a theater sized screen.

It is not political at all, even though a lot of groups tried to make it pro- or anti-gun and racist or not. There is absolutely nothing political unless you think it’s some how political to talk about gun crime stats in a big American city.
Old 03-11-2018, 06:29 AM   #15
Terran
Evil Dead

Saw Amazon's Gringo yesterday. It had a slow build but a satisfyingly twisted conclusion. Not enough laughs, bit of slow pacing, but overall a fun little romp. Probably best at home unless you can MoviePass it as we did.

Enjoy!

Old 03-11-2018, 08:34 AM   #16
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

Saw Thor Ragnarok on Friday and was quite entertained. They finally found the right place for Thor and his world. It has a weird Space Quest meets Borderlands vibe and I really dug it. Now I'm dreading what they do bringing him back to Earth with the boring Avengers. Fuck that shit and do a Ragnarok followup. Use it to reintroduce Silver Surfer and Galactus maybe.

Saturday night I made the mistake of watching Star Wars The Last Jedi. I can say without any hesitation it is the worst Star Wars movie to date. Far worse than the prequels. Every bit of it felt like a 12 year old girl's badly written fantasy put through a shredder then quickly taped back together by a blind monkey. It was also 30 minutes too long and BORING. I was really into the first 10 minutes or so then it went off a cliff and never recovered. Laura Dern was so awful I felt like it must have been a deliberate goof. The extra bit of pandering was too much and so obvious. The background characters were like a cartoonish and hilariously forced mockery of work place equality. PHONY. And so many ugly people, too. It was odd and distracting. From the big nose crazy cat lady looking person to the chick with no neck to the tubby asian with the sausage fingers. That's all I could focus on when they were around.
The constant hokey little Phantom Menace like Mr. Rogers bullshit things they crammed in actually made my girlfriend angry at the screen. At around the halfway point it turned into MST3k. For me Star Wars died in 1999. She remained a hardcore fan somehow. Today she is done with it.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 09:45 AM   #17
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max RW View Post
They finally found the right place for Thor and his world.
Slapstick stupidity has its place. That place is not with Thor. He shouldn't be a blundering idiot.

They fucked up the film and the character. Badly.

Old 03-11-2018, 04:47 PM   #18
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

Quote:
Slapstick stupidity has its place. That place is not with Thor. He shouldn't be a blundering idiot.

They fucked up the film and the character. Badly.
I respect what you're saying and considered it momentarily then realized the impossibility of a serious Thor that doesn't come off as a wannabe Conan the Barbarian without recasting him in a reboot. Especially after the garbage that was Thor The Dark World. After putting up with shit in the Marvel "Cinematic" Universe, what they did in Ragnarok worked for me. My biggest complaints would be Hulk talking too much and Mark Ruffalo still can't act.

Although, how they've handled my favorite Avenger, War Machine, is criminal. He had like one kinda cool scene in the movies since Iron Man 2. And Hawkeye is such a joke he might as well be dead.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 06:07 PM   #19
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max RW View Post
My biggest complaints would be Hulk talking too much and Mark Ruffalo still can't act.
The Hulk actually talks a lot in the comics. It's about time they actually had him speaking in complete sentences.
Old 03-11-2018, 06:20 PM   #20
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

My family all liked Ragnarok as well. The humor was odd at first but it mostly worked. The action towards the end was what I would want from Thor as well though I still prefer him to have the hammer. I agree on Ruffalo though. He's terrible. His only saving grace is that he basically plays a character that requires him to not be present when things get interesting.

In my opinion, Hawkeye's problem is the same as Black Widow's. It's hard to be impressive because you can shoot a gun/bow well and because you know karate when all of you friends are flying around or hurling bad guys into the sun.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weekend boxoffice chart