Today 04:41 AM
16 Replies, 734 Views
» Promotion

Old 01-10-2017, 10:46 PM   #21
UttiniDaKilrJawa
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
Yeah, because Christian Bale certainly didn't walk around like a mouth-breather during his last two Batman films...

Nope. Not at all.
Has anyone considered that the open mouth thing might not be so much 'bad acting' as it is a desire to not suffocate. I don't think any of those cowls have nose holes.
UttiniDaKilrJawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 01:45 AM   #22
excalibur1814
Evil Dead

Playing Batman:

Michael Keaton - Yes
Val Kilmer - No
George Clooney - HECK no
Christina Bale - No (Far too much Bruce Wayne time)
Ben Affleck - Yes (As we finally get to see some damn hard action)

Channing Tatum - No
Dwayne Johnson - No
Vin Diesel - No

Remember... It could be worse!
Old 01-11-2017, 01:46 AM   #23
excalibur1814
Evil Dead

P.s. Batman SHOULD be played by a pretty boy as that's who Batman is. Pretty, built from trauma, dresses in a black costume to beat people up. Seems to fit and he's been a womaniser since day one.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:56 AM   #24
Mojopin
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
Okay this might sound stupid but he needs to stop letting his mouth hang open. It makes Batman look kind of stupid.

Otherwise I think he's the best Batman we've had.
I dunno, I really liked Michael Keaton as both Batman and Bruce Wayne. He's definitely second or third. You are right about the mouth thing too, never noticed until you pointed it out though. ;P
Mojopin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 06:48 AM   #25
Chief Smash
Enjoyed the Prequels

Quote:
Originally Posted by UttiniDaKilrJawa View Post
Has anyone considered that the open mouth thing might not be so much 'bad acting' as it is a desire to not suffocate. I don't think any of those cowls have nose holes.
Yeah I thought that too and I'm sure there's something to it but I've noticed that Ben Affleck generally lets his mouth hang open sometimes. I don't know why I've noticed it but I have. Maybe I was trying to poke holes in him since my wife always seemed sweet on the guy.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 03:27 PM   #26
Anemone
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by excalibur1814 View Post
P.s. Batman SHOULD be played by a pretty boy as that's who Batman is. Pretty, built from trauma, dresses in a black costume to beat people up. Seems to fit and he's been a womaniser since day one.
I disagree. He's long been portrayed as a dark, troubled figure haunted by his parents' murder. He may party now and then to maintain the illusion of Bruce Wayne, but his true identity is as the batman, an avatar of justice. The pretty boy demeanor is little more than a mask, not who he really is.

I do not believe Affleck has the ability to bring out that darker streak within him in the way Bale could. Bale in real life is a figure of incredible determination, much like Batman is portrayed in fiction.

Affleck has led a charmed life and is apparently sick of making chick flicks.

Also Argo sucked, and I consider him pretentious for both directing and starring in these movies, and in Argo too.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:49 PM   #27
VenomUSMC
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anemone View Post
I disagree. He's long been portrayed as a dark, troubled figure haunted by his parents' murder. He may party now and then to maintain the illusion of Bruce Wayne, but his true identity is as the batman, an avatar of justice. The pretty boy demeanor is little more than a mask, not who he really is.

I do not believe Affleck has the ability to bring out that darker streak within him in the way Bale could. Bale in real life is a figure of incredible determination, much like Batman is portrayed in fiction.

Also Argo sucked, and I consider him pretentious for both directing and starring in these movies, and in Argo too.
It really seems to me this all revolves around your personal hatred for Affleck rather than Affleck's actual performance. It's odd that you love the Nolan version of Batman, with this "Bruce Wayne is just a mask!" argument, considering the series ended with Wayne apparently electing to be a "regular person," running off with Catwoman, and shedding the Batman persona.

Quote:
Originally Posted by excalibur1814 View Post
I agree. I ultimately wasn't a fan of Batman/Wayne from the Nolan series (I was initially) because of how they turned Bruce into a recluse, allowing Wayne Enterprise to be on the edge of failure and abandoning all the good it was doing for Gotham, as he also hung-up the cowl until a chick sparked his interest.
VenomUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 05:53 PM   #28
Anemone
Evil Dead

I don't really have anything against Affleck as a person, I just don't think he's right for the part of batman. That shouldn't be so hard to understand, even for you.

The only actor I really dislike personally in that one dude, James Franco, and that merely on the basis of his claim to have been taking 24 units of upper division college courses while filming three movies, which is not possible.

It later came out that he was literally sleeping through his classes and his professors were being pressured to pass him with high marks anyway. I consider that a vindication.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:42 PM   #29
VenomUSMC
Evil Dead

Quote:
I don't really have anything against Affleck as a person, I just don't think he's right for the part of batman. That shouldn't be so hard to understand, even for you.
Try to understand this: You stated that Affleck did "a great job" after seeing him play Batman in BvS. Therefore, you're arguing that someone who did "a great job" isn't right for the role. You don't see the issue with your stance there? Considering you can't figure how the Nolan Batman films played out, I shouldn't expect you to be able to understand how silly your stance is. I mean, you're still holding the false idea that "Bruce Wayne was the mask" for the Christopher Nolan films, which featured Bruce choosing to stop being Batman in order to run away with Catwoman; as he voluntarily handed off the mantle to a cop without a tenth of his training to continue being Batman.

Do you not understand how silly it is for you to moan and groan of Affleck currently being cast as Batman after you let it slip you felt he did "a great job" as the character?

Quote:
The only actor I really dislike personally in that one dude, James Franco, and that merely on the basis of his claim to have been taking 24 units of upper division college courses while filming three movies, which is not possible.

It later came out that he was literally sleeping through his classes and his professors were being pressured to pass him with high marks anyway. I consider that a vindication.
It really comes off as personal you having something personally against Affleck personally considering you've maintained your complaints about him despite delivering a performance you conceded was "great." This is from this thread:
Quote:
GL Affleck, I hope you fail. I still think pretty boys should not play Batman.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:58 PM   #30
Anenome
Autarchist

When I think back on BvS and why I made that remark about his great job, it is specifically in his depiction of Bruce Wayne, which is the Wayniest Wayne we've seen in a long time I think, reminiscent of the old Batman Animated Series Wayne and the old 60's TV show Wayne. He play a good BW in BVS.

I wasn't equally thrilled with his depiction of Batman in BVS, feeling Bale did it better.

I still think that Affleck's depiction of Wayne/Batman was in part saved by the lack of screen time he gets in the movie altogether, and that a Batman-only movie will tend to fall apart under both his direction and depiction of Batman.

Once the movie comes out and we all get a look at it, I will provide a mea culpa if he wows me.

I don't think there's anything wrong with, prior to BVS coming out stating that I don't think Affleck can pull off the role, then giving him props for doing better than I expected after seeing the movie, then stating I don't think he will be equally successfully in a Batman-centric movie that he has to carry with the camera on him for the whole film. You're just trying to create your standard gotcha game with my quotes yet again.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:43 PM   #31
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

I think Affleck is, with few exceptions, a terrific actor and director. In fact with the exception of that one with J.Lo Gigigigligigi or whatever I can't hardly think of any movies I've disliked; even Daredevil isn't so terrible I can't forgive him especially in light of his excellent work later.

As for his directing work. I can't say I've really been disappointed. The Town, Agro, and especially Gone Baby Gone have all been pretty stellar IMO.

His Batman may have been the best I've seen. That is high praise coming off the fantastic Christian Bale performances in the three Dark Knight movies that gave WB the platform to even proceed with their DC cinematic universe.

People may give Bale shit now but 5 years ago people didn't think he could be topped and certainly not by Affleck.

I wasn't disappointed by BvS, I thought Suicide Squad was decent though I wish I had seen a matinee, I'll be seeing Wonder Woman opening night (gotta support Gal Gadot who I proposed to on Facebook but I haven't heard back from yet), and of course I'll be getting reserved seating for The Batman.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 05:30 AM   #32
excalibur1814
Evil Dead

Quote:

I disagree that you disagree with my agreement. We know that he's dark, faced trauma, but my reply was primarily for the person that stated that Bruce Wayne shouldn't be a pretty boy. I disagree as he's always been 'pretty'. As you said that's the mask for his real character.

I DO believe that Ben will be able to get stuff done as, I'm sure, he's been through a lot and probably been to a few low places in his life.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:20 AM   #33
VenomUSMC
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post
When I think back on BvS and why I made that remark about his great job, it is specifically in his depiction of Bruce Wayne, which is the Wayniest Wayne we've seen in a long time I think, reminiscent of the old Batman Animated Series Wayne and the old 60's TV show Wayne. He play a good BW in BVS.

I wasn't equally thrilled with his depiction of Batman in BVS, feeling Bale did it better.
You directly responded to a quote about Affleck as Wayne and Batman. Here is the quote:
Quote:
Quote:
He did a great job as both Bruce Wayne and Batman.
As much as I hate to admit it, he did.
I do not believe Affleck's version of Wayne was reminiscent of the old Batman Animated Series Wayne nor the old 1960's TV show Wayne.

You're welcome to continue to hold Bale's Batman on a pedestal; it's a subjective topic, after all.

Quote:
I still think that Affleck's depiction of Wayne/Batman was in part saved by the lack of screen time he gets in the movie altogether, and that a Batman-only movie will tend to fall apart under both his direction and depiction of Batman.
Of course you do.

Quote:
Once the movie comes out and we all get a look at it, I will provide a mea culpa if he wows me.
LOL.

Quote:
I don't think there's anything wrong with, prior to BVS coming out stating that I don't think Affleck can pull off the role, then giving him props for doing better than I expected after seeing the movie, then stating I don't think he will be equally successfully in a Batman-centric movie that he has to carry with the camera on him for the whole film. You're just trying to create your standard gotcha game with my quotes yet again.
I didn't state there there was a problem with thinking Affleck was the wrong choice to cast as Batman, believing he may not be able to pull off the role before the movie was released. The problem is, you agreed that he did "a great job" as both Batman and Wayne, but wish to continue along your predetermined position. It's also, to me, not giving someone "props" when you "hate to admit" that they did well, and quickly devolve back into openly wishing them failure.

Your regular contradictions and your vindictive nature have come to the surface once again.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:30 AM   #34
TimeWellWasted
Squire

Quote:
Yeah, because Christian Bale certainly didn't walk around like a mouth-breather during his last two Batman films...

Nope. Not at all.
Kind of looks like the rubber mask has no nose holes. So they would have to breathe through their months.

Also "Na Na Na Na Na, Batfleck!" Brilliant!
TimeWellWasted is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batman, ben affleck, dc comics