Last post by Azrael
Today 03:45 AM
11 Replies, 427 Views

Old 10-15-2019, 06:46 PM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Overwatch Seasonal Event Halloween Terror 2019

Quote:
The Overwatch Halloween Terror event returns for more spooky fun!

Face off in Junkenstein’s Revenge and compete in new weekly challenges for limited-time rewards—including Mummy Ana, Inferno Junkrat, and Demon Hunter Sombra. Join the event to unlock hair-raising seasonal skins, emotes, highlight intros, player icons, sprays, and more.

Get Spooked: Blizz.ly/OHT2019
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 08:12 PM   #2
RAV
Evil Dead

Haha, Blizzard is canceling all kinds of events and shutting down interviews with players, turning off match cams, etc. There was a big event planned for the release of Overwatch on Switch. All canceled. they are trying to put their head into the sand until it blows over. But there will be so much funny shit coming in the weeks. Blizzcon will be a total melt down. It is rumored that Blizzard plans big announcements this Blizzcon to make up for the disaster of last Blizzcon. This shit will rain on the parade. And it will be so much fun to watch, can't wait.

I read a funny comment somewhere: "Blizzard is digging their hole so deep, they might reach China."
RAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 06:09 AM   #3
brandonjclark
Evil Dead

I uninstalled Battle.net last week.
brandonjclark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 01:08 PM   #4
Sir_Smokes_Alot
Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post
I uninstalled Battle.net last week.
Yup same I am done with Blizzard. I have bin a fan since I sent snail mail in to get a Warcraft 1 demo disk.
Sir_Smokes_Alot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 03:18 PM   #5
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Blizzard fucked themselves big time.

You don't get to have high moral standards only when it's safe (like supporting US Pride events) and get away with it.

Blizzcon is going to be awesome, especially if they mention anything that might be related to China or a design decision made to curry favor with the Chinese.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 05:06 PM   #6
Chief Smash
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
Blizzard fucked themselves big time.

You don't get to have high moral standards only when it's safe (like supporting US Pride events)
I've been a Blizzard fan since back in the Silicon and Synapse days but I have to admit that I'm taking a little pleasure in their squirming here and it's exactly because of this.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 10:44 PM   #7
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

The fake news about the Russians controlling the POTUS is meant to distract from the fact that China secretly controls all our corporations.
Old 10-16-2019, 11:21 PM   #8
MadMurdock_0311
Evil Dead

Thing is, this isn't Blizzard of old. They combined with Activision in 2008, and have gone downhill since. I'm not even sure how many original members remain. One? Two? None?

It would have been better if their studio was shuttered, like EA did to Westwood Studios (and many others). "Better to burn out than to fade away" and all that. I'm guessing the dumpster fire that they are will fade out fairly soon. Writing's on the wall.
MadMurdock_0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 08:51 AM   #9
Chief Smash
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMurdock_0311 View Post
Thing is, this isn't Blizzard of old. They combined with Activision in 2008, and have gone downhill since.
I never quite bought that it was Activision that did Blizzard in. I feel like they're a victim of their own success as much as anything else.

Quote:
I'm not even sure how many original members remain. One? Two? None?
This is a big deal though. And maybe this is a result of Activision taking over after all. Blizz was a lot more fun when they were a small company run by a bunch of talented young hungry guys. As much as I loved WoW, I think it changed the company too much and the new culture sort of pushed a lot of the old guard out. But maybe it was Activision's culture seeping in or maybe a combination of both.
Old 10-17-2019, 05:27 PM   #10
Sir_Smokes_Alot
Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
The fake news about the Russians controlling the POTUS is meant to distract from the fact that China secretly controls all our corporations.
"fake news" is old Soviet dezinformatsiya disinformation is a translation of a Russian word.

https://www.rand.org/topics/information-operations.html
Old 10-17-2019, 07:13 PM   #11
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Thing is, this isn't Blizzard of old. They combined with Activision in 2008, and have gone downhill since. I'm not even sure how many original members remain. One? Two? None?

It would have been better if their studio was shuttered, like EA did to Westwood Studios (and many others). "Better to burn out than to fade away" and all that. I'm guessing the dumpster fire that they are will fade out fairly soon. Writing's on the wall.
It doesn't matter, even with the Activision brain worm infecting them Blizzard always nominally stood on the right side with gamers.

Over the last few years that veneer has been falling off and with this China thing they lose even the loose pretense they are in it for the games and gamers.

They had better rock socks with their announcements this year at Blizzcon, especially after the "You all have a phone, right" Diablo immortal otherwise they're going to be come just another dev we can't trust. Like Bioware who used to have a steller rep but has now squandered it.
Old 10-17-2019, 07:16 PM   #12
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
I never quite bought that it was Activision that did Blizzard in. I feel like they're a victim of their own success as much as anything else.

This is a big deal though. And maybe this is a result of Activision taking over after all. Blizz was a lot more fun when they were a small company run by a bunch of talented young hungry guys. As much as I loved WoW, I think it changed the company too much and the new culture sort of pushed a lot of the old guard out. But maybe it was Activision's culture seeping in or maybe a combination of both.
Blizzard hasn't been a small company since the mid-2000s.

On the other hand they can pick up a chinese fan for every lost western fan and be more profitable for it so what the fuck do they care? They may as well drop the premise of giving any shits and just say "Fuck you, there are more people in china playing our game than the entire population of the US, so eat shit."
Old 10-17-2019, 08:36 PM   #13
Sir_Smokes_Alot
Lord

Quote:
It doesn't matter, even with the Activision brain worm infecting them Blizzard always nominally stood on the right side with gamers.

Over the last few years that veneer has been falling off and with this China thing they lose even the loose pretense they are in it for the games and gamers.

They had better rock socks with their announcements this year at Blizzcon, especially after the "You all have a phone, right" Diablo immortal otherwise they're going to be come just another dev we can't trust. Like Bioware who used to have a steller rep but has now squandered it.
Diablo Immortal was the first sign something was wrong a phone game made mostly for the Chinese market we should have know.
Old 10-18-2019, 12:24 PM   #14
actusoul
Evil Dead

HEY!!! FYI Apex Legends also has a Halloween event. Its great.
actusoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 05:52 PM   #15
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

I am betting at Blizzcon they have a rule that says "no talking about 'disruptive' or 'sensitive' subjects" at risk of getting kicked out.
Old 10-18-2019, 09:40 PM   #16
Chief Smash
Subscriber

Quote:
I am betting at Blizzcon they have a rule that says "no talking about 'disruptive' or 'sensitive' subjects" at risk of getting kicked out.
Well they're going to have to kick out a lot of people during their high profile announcements. This Blizzcon is rumored to be a very big one but even as a (former?) Blizz fan, I'm looking forward to seeing them squirm a bit. It's easy to milk points from your hipster fans when you make Soldier 76 or Tracer gay. But when you have people taking a stand against your favorite bank account, it gets a little more interesting.
Old 10-18-2019, 09:48 PM   #17
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by actusoul View Post
HEY!!! FYI Apex Legends also has a Halloween event. Its great.
Thanks for the reminder. I bookmarked the link when I was at lunch and I forgot to post it when I got home.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:17 PM   #18
Sensei-X
Evil Dead

You know, it's funny reading the posts of people still posting about this 'controversy" on Twitter and MMO Champ. On one hand they are having a shit-fit over the alleged influence of Tencent on Blizzard's decision to ban blitzchung, while at the same time gleefully cheering on other companies that Tencent has a much larger stake in.

Just 3 days ago the same people boycotting Blizzard were cheering on Fortnite Season 2 (Epic is 40% owned by Tencent) and then again were cheering the Riot Games announcement of 7 new titles in development (Riot is 100% owned by Tencent) despite Riot having posted this on thei official e-sports twitter:

Quote:
As we near this weekend's League of Legends World Championship Group stage, I want to take a moment to speak clearly about how we approach sensitive topics on Riot's broadcasts.

As a general rule, we want to keep our broadcasts focused on the game, the sport, and the players. We serve fans from many different countries and cultures, and we believe this opportunity comes with a responsibility to keep personal views on sensitive issues (political, religious, or otherwise) separate. These topics are often incredibly nuanced, require deep understanding and a willingness to listen, and cannot be fairly represented in the forum our broadcast provides. Therefore, we have reminded our casters and pro players from discussing any of these topics on air.

Our decision also reflects that we have Riot employees and fans in regions where there has been (or there is risk of) political and/or social unrest, including places like Hong Kong. We believe we have a responsibility to do our best to ensure that statements or actions on our official platforms (intended or not) do not escalate potentially sensitive situations.

-John Needham, Global Head of League of Legends Esports
Not only did these companies get a pass, in Epic's case because they made it clear it that they wouldn't ban you for speaking about HK (though they conveniently stopped short of saying they wouldn't cut them off during any broadcasts if they did). But in Riot's case they were being cheered on for their "transparency" about the rules and given a pass because they haven't actually censored anyone (yet). Seems like the people saying this has "degenerated into yet another SJW dumpster fire" are probably right.
Old 10-19-2019, 12:36 AM   #19
RAV
Evil Dead

You are completely wrong. People are condemning any company behaving like this. I know I don't give anyone a pass on it.
Many companies are being called out for their bullshit, like the NBA, Disney, etc. There are entire lists of companies and their failures on the matter.

However, some companies are in a particular focus, because although they now claim to want avoid politics in their games, they have demonstrably brought in politics themselves in the past, whenever it was convenient for them. At least some companies who claim that, actually have avoided it at any case in the past, so are in less trouble now.

Otherwise, even though they may have stated their policies and may have Chinese investors, if they haven't yet actually banned anyone, it is silly to condemn them in advance, without a particular case of contention. Although many people are certainly expressing their overall mistrust in the situation.

It is true that this is becoming a widespread problem, but you cannot expect everyone to bring in every issue all the time. It is by case as it arises. Like personally, just because I haven't called out Riot yet, doesn't mean I am their fan and agree with them, it just means there hasn't been an appropriate opportunity yet in the news to discuss them. And just because there are some people giving other companies a pass, doesn't mean the whole problem is a farce.

Right now, Blizzard deserves special attention, because their case so far has been especially appalling. I also think that there is not much "nuanced" and "deep" about the issue. It is pretty damn straightforward for any decent person, really. People in China are getting imprisoned, tortured and murdered for speaking their mind. There are concentration camps for millions. And now they get persecuted even by "our own" companies. There is only one right side on the issue.

Last edited by RAV; 10-19-2019 at 01:46 AM..
RAV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
overwatch