Today 04:08 PM
9 Replies, 636 Views

Old 01-17-2018, 07:56 AM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

'Flash' Movie to Be Directed by 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' Screenwriters

The Hollywood Reporter has the story.

Quote:
John Francis Daley and Jonathan Goldstein are staying in the superhero game.

The screenwriting duo behind Sony and Marvel's Spider-Man: Homecoming are moving over to DC and are in talks to direct Warner Bros.' Flashpoint movie, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed. The studio declined to comment.

The film will star Ezra Miller, reprising his role as Barry Allen/The Flash from Justice League. The Flash solo film has previously had two other directors attached. Dope filmmaker Rick Famuyiwa left in October 2016 over "creative differences.Ē His exit followed that of Seth Grahame-Smith, who had written the script and was attached to helm.

Daley and Goldstein were largely known for penning comedies such as Horrible Bosses and writing and directing 2015's Vacation before last year's Spider-Man, which earned more than $880 million worldwide. They also directed Jason Bateman and Rachel McAdams' Game Night, a film that blends the thriller/comedy genres and is set to open Feb. 23.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 01:23 PM   #2
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Homecoming was possibly one of the best of all the Spiderman movies. It was frustrating for me to watch at times because he he acted like a stupid teenager a lot but that was probably the right play for most people.

On the other hand do you want your audience to be frustrated to the point of being pissed watching your movie, even if they understand the characters motivations? Just a few simple words would have solved so many problems.

It's like in those sitcoms where Mom tells Alex Keaton 32 times she needs to be picked up at 9th STREET, not 9th AVENUE but Alex forgets and tells Mallory AVENUE. Then Mallory gets lost, runs out of gas, and so on. It's a facepalm moment but without it you lose the setup for the whole episode.

I guess I just don't have the tolerance for that like when I was a kid but a lot of Homecoming was based on these sort of Tropes of "I can't tell or even come up with a decent excuse. Instead I'll sit here like a drooling moron." That annoyed me even while most of the spiderman parts were Awesome.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 01:41 PM   #3
IGXGamingTV
Game. Stream. Beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
Homecoming was possibly one of the best of all the Spiderman movies. It was frustrating for me to watch at times because he he acted like a stupid teenager a lot but that was probably the right play for most people.

On the other hand do you want your audience to be frustrated to the point of being pissed watching your movie, even if they understand the characters motivations? Just a few simple words would have solved so many problems.

It's like in those sitcoms where Mom tells Alex Keaton 32 times she needs to be picked up at 9th STREET, not 9th AVENUE but Alex forgets and tells Mallory AVENUE. Then Mallory gets lost, runs out of gas, and so on. It's a facepalm moment but without it you lose the setup for the whole episode.

I guess I just don't have the tolerance for that like when I was a kid but a lot of Homecoming was based on these sort of Tropes of "I can't tell or even come up with a decent excuse. Instead I'll sit here like a drooling moron." That annoyed me even while most of the spiderman parts were Awesome.
I get what you are saying and Homecoming was a good flick and probably my favorite Spidey movie. Miss Family Ties, great show!
Old 01-17-2018, 01:53 PM   #4
LostToys
Evil Dead

Quote:
I really liked Home Coming until the very end when they shoe horned in Mary Jane's name at the very end of the film. There is no need to have a MJ in this version of Spider-Man as she did not start out as Peter's object of affection/admiration. Putting MJ into the new Spider-Man universe is pure pandering and unnecessary. If they did not need an Uncle Ben, they did not need a MJ.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 02:40 PM   #5
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:

Iím having problems thinking of scenes like the ones you describe. Could you point to some specific scenes that are like that?
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 02:44 PM   #6
McWolf
Squire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostToys View Post
I really liked Home Coming until the very end when they shoe horned in Mary Jane's name at the very end of the film. There is no need to have a MJ in this version of Spider-Man as she did not start out as Peter's object of affection/admiration. Putting MJ into the new Spider-Man universe is pure pandering and unnecessary. If they did not need an Uncle Ben, they did not need a MJ.
Well... they did have Uncle Ben, they just didn't feel the need to show his death for the third time in cinematic history, MJ I feel is a part that they wanted, and actually made some sense as to why the character was the way she is, she isn't the classic MJ though, she's really just a new character with MJ's name is the way I see it.
McWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 02:52 PM   #7
LostToys
Evil Dead

Precisely. There is no Uncle Ben. There is no need to have a MJ as well since it is not required to tell Peter's story in the most recent reboot. MJ was always the trophy that Peter wanted, so it is odd to throw her in, later on, as someone who was not on his radar at all until the women he wanted is forced to move away.

She could have easily just been a new character completely separate from any baggage of the Spider-Verse, but she was not.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:57 PM   #8
excalibur1814
Evil Dead

I'm afraid that I didn't really think much of Spider-Man: Homecoming. It bored the living heck out of me and, being honest, seemed like it was more in line with a season of The Flash/Arrow. It could have been split into chunks and fit perfectly into that mould. I literally sat there, in the cinema, waiting for it to end.

Then again they cannot all be Winter Soldier.
excalibur1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 03:22 PM   #9
LostToys
Evil Dead

I really enjoyed it but I approached it like I was watching an 80s to early-90's teen comedy. If you went in expecting more, I could see how you would be disappointed in it.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:37 PM   #10
IGXGamingTV
Game. Stream. Beer.

Quote:
I really enjoyed it but I approached it like I was watching an 80s to early-90's teen comedy. If you went in expecting more, I could see how you would be disappointed in it.
Speaking of the 80s ...

Old 01-17-2018, 04:19 PM   #11
MadMurdock_0311
Evil Dead

I laughed at the part where he's in the suburbs and has nothing to web-sling from. Growing up in the boonies, I used to imagine being Spider-Man, until the realization that I had no buildings to swing from, and I'd be the most boring Spider-Man ever.
MadMurdock_0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 07:17 PM   #12
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
Iím having problems thinking of scenes like the ones you describe. Could you point to some specific scenes that are like that?
Did you miss all the parts where Peter has no excuse (or a bad one) for why he wasn't there for his girlfriend or couldn't make a date, or disappeared from the prom, couldn't be found at the Washington Monument, ditched the girlfriend when it was time to dance, couldn't produce Spiderman at the party, etc, etc.?

This was a overused trope through the movie and used to, IMO, a degree which just plain got old fast.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 06:49 AM   #13
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Precisely. There is no Uncle Ben. There is no need to have a MJ as well since it is not required to tell Peter's story in the most recent reboot. MJ was always the trophy that Peter wanted, so it is odd to throw her in, later on, as someone who was not on his radar at all until the women he wanted is forced to move away.

She could have easily just been a new character completely separate from any baggage of the Spider-Verse, but she was not.
I think you're forgetting about Gwen, who was Peter's first love interest. MJ didn't appear on the scene as his "trophy" until after Gwen died.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMurdock_0311 View Post
I laughed at the part where he's in the suburbs and has nothing to web-sling from. Growing up in the boonies, I used to imagine being Spider-Man, until the realization that I had no buildings to swing from, and I'd be the most boring Spider-Man ever.
I feel your pain, dude. I grew up with the same painful realization.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:08 AM   #14
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Did you miss all the parts where Peter has no excuse (or a bad one) for why he wasn't there for his girlfriend or couldn't make a date, or disappeared from the prom, couldn't be found at the Washington Monument, ditched the girlfriend when it was time to dance, couldn't produce Spiderman at the party, etc, etc.?

This was a overused trope through the movie and used to, IMO, a degree which just plain got old fast.
I didnít miss any of those parts. I just donít understand where you are connecting that with being a teenager.

Thatís very teal to Peterís character in the comics. Heís ďflakeyĒ. Peter is always late and undependable because heís basically working two jobs and one of them he canít tell anybody about.

I think some people may be offput by the fact that this is the first time weíve gotten to see a real version of Spider-Man instead of movie directors wanting to copy the Richard Donner Superman film and call it Spiderman. Spider-Man And Superman are very different characters, but filmically, we havenít gotten to see much of the true Spider-Man until homecoming. Like, as was previously mentioned, the fact that Peter doesnít have an unrequited love triangle between a girl, his hero self and his actual self. Thatís A Superman trope. Peter has a cavalcade if failed relationships that he ultimately ruins because he wonít let go of being Spider-Man.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 09:31 AM   #15
LostToys
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
I think you're forgetting about Gwen, who was Peter's first love interest. MJ didn't appear on the scene as his "trophy" until after Gwen died.
When it comes to film and television, ie the version of Spider-Man most people are familiar with, Mary Jane is his first love interest, not his second, because the most popular version of Peter Parker is the one where he is in high school, not college. Older comic book fans care about Gwen.

That is why it felt like a total throwaway and unnecessary point to have MJ brought up at the end of the film. Just make her a brand new character.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:04 AM   #16
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
That is why it felt like a total throwaway and unnecessary point to have MJ brought up at the end of the film. Just make her a brand new character.
To be fair, she is a new character; her name is Michelle Jones - MJ - Not Mary-Jane Watson. Its a new character with a similar sort of dynamic.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:16 AM   #17
LostToys
Evil Dead

I know she is a new character, but she is taking on/co-opting another character's name. It is unnecessary pandering to have MJ in this cinematic universe. It is straight up fanboy masturbation.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:54 AM   #18
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
I know she is a new character, but she is taking on/co-opting another character's name. It is unnecessary pandering to have MJ in this cinematic universe. It is straight up fanboy masturbation.
I guess I just don't care quite as much about the inclusion or exclusion of an "MJ" as you do, it would seem.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:58 AM   #19
LostToys
Evil Dead

This is a minor issue and really does not have affect my overall enjoyment of the film, but it definitely tingled my Spider Sense.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:23 AM   #20
Steve_Erhardt
Pancake Rabbit

I think it really says something when the article is actually about the craptastic JL movie Flash, and the entire discussion thread is nothing but Spider-Man. LMAO
Steve_Erhardt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dc comics, dc entertainment, flash