Metal Gear Survive...
Last post by bub64882
Today 05:20 PM
16 Replies, 810 Views

Old 11-30-2017, 07:12 AM   #1
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Nintendo Switch Outsold Everything Over The Holiday Weekend

Over the course of Thanksgiving, Black Friday and Cyber Monday, the Nintendo Switch outsold everything.

We're not talking about just outselling other consoles, TVs or electronics. It outsold everything across all categories...and it wasn't even discounted.

Quote:
The Switch was the best-selling product online across all product categories among online retailers on Thanksgiving, Black Friday, and Cyber Monday, according to Adobe's Digital Insights Initiatives. Nintendo offered no discounts during that time, although the console was already priced below $300.

Nintendo saw record sales in the Switch's launch month. The new console has also had several successful games, such as "Zelda," "Mario Kart," "Splatoon 2," and "Super Mario Odyssey," Goyal said.

"Even we had not expected such a record-breaking streak," Goyal wrote in a note. "This strong sales is going to create a robust installed base, which is where games software will monetize over the next 5-7 years."
Nintendo's Switch has performed better than any other competitor in its first few months, Goyal said. Rival Sony announced the PlayStation had its best ever Black Friday with the most sales in the console's 22-year history. Goyal noted that, unlike Nintendo, Sony offered steep discounts on its consoles. The 1 TB PS4 was priced down to $199 from $299 and the PS4 Pro was priced at $350 from $399.
The Switch was extremely popular out of the gate and if it's sales performance at the beginning of the holiday shopping season is any indication, it likely won't be slowing down any time soon.

Source: Business Insider

It prints money.
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 09:23 AM   #2
Terran
Evil Dead

When will this thing stop failing so hard?

Good for Nintendo. Not my cup of tea, but good for them.
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 10:56 AM   #3
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

I got one for my daughter a few months ago. Seems cool.
Old 11-30-2017, 11:02 AM   #4
Terran
Evil Dead

Get your daughter a tablet. More games, less expensive, more utility.
Old 11-30-2017, 11:05 AM   #5
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
A tablet ultimately only wins on the utility front; they can be just as - if not more - expensive and more games doesn't really mean anything if the lion's share of them are free-to-play garbage.
Old 11-30-2017, 12:23 PM   #6
Major Dan
Conductor Dan

Quote:
But do the tablets have Disgea 5, Complete....I think not, that game was a blast.
Old 11-30-2017, 12:27 PM   #7
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Dan View Post
But do the tablets have Disgea 5, Complete.
Kids today don't care, and that is exactly why Nintendo has been farming out IP onto other platforms. Yes, the Switch is a success, but their lock on kids isn't what it was, and those 'kids' of yesteryear are the devoted/rabid fans of today. Where do the fans of Nintendo's tomorrow come from if they're not raving for the latest handheld/console from Nintendo today?

A Nintendo gaming device isn't even an afterthought. They don't give a shit about Nintendo. They want a phone or tablet.
Old 11-30-2017, 02:32 PM   #8
Rommel
International Playboy

I'm enjoying my Nintendo Switch.
drive into the daughter's womb proper, fill the uterus with the dick snot
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
Rommel gave the right answer
*Not in context
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 03:31 PM   #9
MadMurdock_0311
Soul Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
I'm enjoying my Nintendo Switch.
Ditto. Haven't loved a Nintendo console this much since N64.
MadMurdock_0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 03:51 PM   #10
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Kids today don't care, and that is exactly why Nintendo has been farming out IP onto other platforms. Yes, the Switch is a success, but their lock on kids isn't what it was, and those 'kids' of yesteryear are the devoted/rabid fans of today. Where do the fans of Nintendo's tomorrow come from if they're not raving for the latest handheld/console from Nintendo today?

A Nintendo gaming device isn't even an afterthought. They don't give a shit about Nintendo. They want a phone or tablet.
Something that's probably helping Nintendo right now with the kids are Millennials are reaching a point where they have kids around the 5-7 range. Those same millennials grew up playing NES and SNES.

My son loves all things Nintendo, Zelda and Mario because I purchased a Wii U for him and some Nintendo games.

I don't know that Nintendo will ever have the brand weight they did in the 80s and 90s, in Mario being more recognized than any other company mascot, but I think Nintendo can put themselves into a position to carve out a pretty wide path for themselves that could last another generation. (human not console generation)

You know Nintendo is doing well again when you walk into a super market, and your son goes bananas because he sees this:

And he'll see this in December:

As a gamer, I can't imagine my hobby would be the same without Nintendo. I love the emphasis on polish and fun. Glad they're doing well with their hybrid, and I'm glad my son gets to enjoy Nintendo games with me.

Quite the accomplishment to outsell all other products without a discount during 2 days dedicated to finding massive discounts.

Also Xenoblade Chronicles 2 drops tomorrow. F&^#.

Last edited by PatrickRes9; 11-30-2017 at 04:07 PM..
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 04:05 PM   #11
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Get your daughter a tablet. More games....
Lol, I wouldn't call those games. I'd call them self-perpetuating automations that allow you to pay real money to speed the automated endless self-perpetuation along.
Old 11-30-2017, 04:47 PM   #12
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
My son loves all things Nintendo
Well, that's nice! Still not buying the whole "kids love Nintendo" thing though. I don't think Nintendo believes it either, as evidenced by their IP leakage to other platforms.

But I'll tell you what, would you mind posting a link to an age breakdown of the end-users of the Switch? I'd be more than willing to be educated as to a mistake in my hypothesis. I think I'm right on, however. Kids don't give a shit about Nintendo, which isn't great news for them going forward since their rabid fan base of today grew out of their 'kid' base of yesteryear.

Quote:
I'd call them self-perpetuating automations
Every game under the sun is a series of repeated behaviors hidden beneath a coat of gameplay paint. If you enjoy it, who cares what the coat of paint looks like? Especially when it's on a device that kids actually want (phone or tablet) that's capable of much more than the Switch.
Old 11-30-2017, 05:24 PM   #13
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Something that's probably helping Nintendo right now with the kids are Millennials are reaching a point where they have kids around the 5-7 range. Those same millennials grew up playing NES and SNES.

My son loves all things Nintendo, Zelda and Mario because I purchased a Wii U for him and some Nintendo games.

I don't know that Nintendo will ever have the brand weight they did in the 80s and 90s, in Mario being more recognized than any other company mascot, but I think Nintendo can put themselves into a position to carve out a pretty wide path for themselves that could last another generation. (human not console generation)

You know Nintendo is doing well again when you walk into a super market, and your son goes bananas because he sees this:

And he'll see this in December:

As a gamer, I can't imagine my hobby would be the same without Nintendo. I love the emphasis on polish and fun. Glad they're doing well with their hybrid, and I'm glad my son gets to enjoy Nintendo games with me.

Quite the accomplishment to outsell all other products without a discount during 2 days dedicated to finding massive discounts.

Also Xenoblade Chronicles 2 drops tomorrow. F&^#.
The hobby would be fine without Nintendo. Course the 30+ year olds with the mentality of 6 year olds might be a bit upset however.
SpectralThundr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 07:01 PM   #14
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
The hobby would be fine without Nintendo. Course the 30+ year olds with the mentality of 6 year olds might be a bit upset however.
Old 11-30-2017, 09:23 PM   #15
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
You came into this thread to say that, and you're talking about mentality of 6 year olds? The ironies.

Some of us like leveraging our hobbies to bond with our kids. Sorry if your dad didn't share that same warmth with you, sport.
Old 11-30-2017, 09:36 PM   #16
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
You came into this thread to say that, and you're talking about mentality of 6 year olds? The ironies.

Some of us like leveraging our hobbies to bond with our kids. Sorry if your dad didn't share that same warmth with you, sport.
Yeah he was too busy working, providing for a family, you didn't need 2 incomes back then either, since inflation wasn't out of control like it is now. Thanks Obozo.

I love the bonding excuse, just admit you like mario titles as an adult. It's fine. Silly as hell but fine.
SpectralThundr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 04:41 AM   #17
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Well, that's nice! Still not buying the whole "kids love Nintendo" thing though. I don't think Nintendo believes it either, as evidenced by their IP leakage to other platforms.

But I'll tell you what, would you mind posting a link to an age breakdown of the end-users of the Switch? I'd be more than willing to be educated as to a mistake in my hypothesis. I think I'm right on, however. Kids don't give a shit about Nintendo, which isn't great news for them going forward since their rabid fan base of today grew out of their 'kid' base of yesteryear.

Every game under the sun is a series of repeated behaviors hidden beneath a coat of gameplay paint. If you enjoy it, who cares what the coat of paint looks like? Especially when it's on a device that kids actually want (phone or tablet) that's capable of much more than the Switch.
IP leakage. Literal cheesy deep as a puddle games designed to get you to buy a Switch. And that's about as good as it gets with a tablet. Simple distractions that last for 5 mins. I guess honestly that's really all a kid needs to play a game as my 8 hour Ninja Gaiden marathons were prolly a bad thing but from my POV its kinda sad. The games on tablets are really shitty dude. I've tried many time over the years to get into them but its just bullshit.

Id have issues with not engaging their imagination by holding a controller or swinging a wii remote. That tactile doe. What is outdoors? God video games suck lol.

Last edited by blackzc; 12-01-2017 at 05:02 AM..
blackzc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 06:47 AM   #18
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Some of us like leveraging our hobbies to bond with our kids.
I'm with you on that. I do the same with my kids! In my experience, beyond a very young age, they have just completely lost interest in Nintendo devices and content. I have five DSs and dozens of great, great games, for goodness' sake! Yet they'd rather mess around with a tablet or phone (four of them), or the PC (my oldest son) or no gaming at all (my ACT 35-scoring eldest daughter, who intentionally avoids video games as a waste of her study time! How can I bottle that attitude and feed it to my other kids?).

So is Nintendo building a younger generation of fans today with the Switch who will stick with Nintendo like all of you NES/SNES/GB fans have? I don't see it happening. It may be going on out there, but I don't see it with my kids or those of my friends. Hell, my nephew has a VR device. I think one of my 20+ nephews/nieces has a Nintendo device, if that.
Old 12-01-2017, 08:27 AM   #19
MADxMrMike
Evil Dead

Quote:
If Nintendo fell off the map now? Sure. 30 years ago... Hell no. They pretty much saved the industry we now know and love and some of us were there to bear witness.

I think most gamers, who are over 30, remember this and have a lot of respect for Nintendo. Myself included. That and the found memories of classic console gaming.

So it's not really 30+ year olds who have the mentality of a 6 year old. It's 30+ year old gamers who have found memories of when they were 6(or 8 in my case) booting up Super Mario or Zelda for the first time(or the masterpiece that is Kung Fu for me ) and thinking there will never be anything better than this.... and of course we all see how that turned out. haha I get that same feeling when I play Breath of the Wild and Mario now and I STILL owe that to Nintendo 30 years later. It's awesome.

Xbox - reload in 3
PSN - MADxMrMike
MADxMrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 09:26 AM   #20
rubbishfoo
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADxMrMike View Post
If Nintendo fell off the map now? Sure. 30 years ago... Hell no. They pretty much saved the industry we now know and love and some of us were there to bear witness.

I think most gamers, who are over 30, remember this and have a lot of respect for Nintendo. Myself included. That and the found memories of classic console gaming.

So it's not really 30+ year olds who have the mentality of a 6 year old. It's 30+ year old gamers who have found memories of when they were 6(or 8 in my case) booting up Super Mario or Zelda for the first time(or the masterpiece that is Kung Fu for me ) and thinking there will never be anything better than this.... and of course we all see how that turned out. haha I get that same feeling when I play Breath of the Wild and Mario now and I STILL owe that to Nintendo 30 years later. It's awesome.
I was a kid when I played Kung-Fu also. I was so damn confused as to why he kept calling her 'Saliva'. (Yes I know it's Sylvia... I didn't pronounce it right back then).

I feel the same way. Was very excited to play Zelda, Mario... etc. BOTW was the first game my son watched me play start to finish. It's hilarious... he LOVED the divine beasts & would show me how each of them walked around.

My son and I play Nintendo together also & it's a blast. I don't really care what someone else thinks... I find Nintendo games are just plain fun. If that makes me a man-child, then I'll be in the toyroom having fun while someone else frets.

bonus:

I also enjoy traditional 80s 'girl music'. Olivia Newton John, Debbie Gibson, Belinda Carlisle... etc. Does that make me less of a man? Hahah, yeah probably. I also kill and clean animals (I live in Cajun Country, y'alls).

People like different things.

Tags
black friday, cyber monday, it prints money, nintendo, switch