14 Replies, 1,065 Views
Weekend Headbanger -...
Last post by Kreigmstr
Yesterday 06:39 AM
13 Replies, 413 Views

Old 05-06-2019, 05:48 PM   #2
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Opening this week at the box office: 5 movies unlikely to make any money.

Maybe Pokemon (because of the brand and Ryan Reynolds name) will get people. It won't be competitive but it will get people.

The Hustle seems like a riff of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels with Anne Hathaway and Rebel Wilson instead of Michael Cane and Steve Martin. The original is a classic but few of the female cast remakes tend to do as well. Still, a comedy might draw a crowd.

I doubt we're going to see anything serious for the other three.

Last edited by vallor; 05-06-2019 at 06:05 PM..
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 05:51 PM   #3
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

I can see Pokemon ending up #2 because it has that built in audience. Beyond that, the rest of those movies would have been way better served to release later in the summer after all the Avengers hype dies off.

Two weeks until Mother Freaking John Wick 3.
Old 05-06-2019, 05:58 PM   #4
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
I can see Pokemon ending up #2 because it has that built in audience. Beyond that, the rest of those movies would have been way better served to release later in the summer after all the Avengers hype dies off.

Two weeks until Mother Freaking John Wick 3.
I think Detective Pikachu will do quite well, overall. I'm probably going go catch it in theaters, entirely because it looks like it'll be fun.

Godzilla is my movie of the summer, though. Seeing Godzilla, Mothra, Rodan, and Ghidorah in a big-budget movie is what I've wanted for decades.
Old 05-06-2019, 10:00 PM   #5
Mozain
Fueled By Tits & Revenge

So long as they keep the god damn people out of it (unlikely to happen I know ><).

The inclusion of Aaron Taylor-Johnson and his dumb stupid story really hampered the last one for me... Thank god we had Shin-Godzilla as a "pallet cleanser" between that one and this one.
Mozain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 08:49 AM   #6
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozain View Post
So long as they keep the god damn people out of it (unlikely to happen I know ><).

The inclusion of Aaron Taylor-Johnson and his dumb stupid story really hampered the last one for me... Thank god we had Shin-Godzilla as a "pallet cleanser" between that one and this one.
Here's the thing: Virtually all of the Godzilla movies in the history of the series focuses most of the action on the human storyline. He's never been in any of the movies longer than 25 minutes, and has appeared as little as 8 (give or take).

2014 was actually pretty standard, in terms of structure.
Old 05-07-2019, 11:41 AM   #7
Mozain
Fueled By Tits & Revenge

Oh I'm not necessarily talking about people in general, rather specific ones. How many of the films focus on a soldier's journey and his life/accomplishments/heroics more than the impact of a destructive force on a populous?

That's what I took away from the 2014 version, and that's why Shin is a better experience in my opinion.

I mean I'd defer to your expertise on this front, but it's the same thing with 2000 movie (among many other problems of course).
Mozain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 12:19 PM   #8
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozain View Post
Oh I'm not necessarily talking about people in general, rather specific ones. How many of the films focus on a soldier's journey and his life/accomplishments/heroics more than the impact of a destructive force on a populous?
A lot of them focus on stuff beyond the impact of the monsters. The original Mechagodzilla movie spent an huge chunk of its runtime on people trying to get their hands on a small statue, for example

To a degree, they kinda needed that human hook to help sell the 2014 movie. The series doesn't have the greatest rep in the US, after all.

Quote:
That's what I took away from the 2014 version, and that's why Shin is a better experience in my opinion.
I don't even bother comparing the two, to be honest. Shin had much more in common with the 1954 film, while 2014 was essentially a modernized version of the movies we got in the late 60s/mid 70s. They're two very different versions of the character, trying to do two very different things. I enjoy them both, but I'd have to be in a certain mood for either of them.

An argument could be made that 2014's runtime was too long, but it also had the unenviable task of reintroducing the character while building the new setting. KotM, conversely, can hit the ground running.
Old 05-09-2019, 04:25 AM   #9
TheHulk
Evil Dead

The worst part of every Godzilla movie is the human part. I can't imagine anyone thinking "I'm not really into this whole Godzilla thing, but the human story is what makes me want to see this film."
Old 05-09-2019, 05:52 AM   #10
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHulk View Post
The worst part of every Godzilla movie is the human part. I can't imagine anyone thinking "I'm not really into this whole Godzilla thing, but the human story is what makes me want to see this film."
It depends on the movie, really. The human plot was pretty good with the '54 movie, and I liked the human element in Shin well enough. Others, on the other hand, are downright awful and exist only to progress the action along to the inevitable giant monster fight.

The draw will always be the monsters, for obvious reasons. Sometimes, the human plotline is also pretty decent.

Tags
weekly release list