Yesterday 10:49 AM
25 Replies, 1,055 Views

Old 04-10-2019, 05:55 PM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

PlayStation Network online ID Change Feature Launches Today

Quote:
Online ID Change on PSN: Your Questions Answered

We’re excited to announce that the online ID change feature on PSN is officially launching to all PlayStation 4 owners later today. You’ll also be able to change your online ID via a web browser, and that feature will also be available starting today. Thanks to all of you who participated in the beta preview program back in October/November and who gave us your feedback!

We do want to take this opportunity to clarify one point – as a result of the preview program, we’ve found an instance where a game did not fully support the feature, even though it was originally published after April 1, 2018, contrary to what we mentioned in our original announcement. All PS4 games originally published on or after April 1, 2018 have been developed to support the online ID change feature. However, since they have not all been specifically tested with the feature, we cannot guarantee that they will support it. For more details and information, we encourage you to refer to the list of tested games before making a change to your online ID. Do keep in mind that the large majority of most actively played PS4 games support the feature.

We’re sure you have questions about this long-awaited feature and how it all works. This FAQ should have the answers you seek, but if not, just leave us a note in the comments below. We’ll do our best to update this document or respond in the comments section.

There’s also a section on our PlayStation support page that may help answer additional questions, which you can check out here.

Get the full FAQ.
blog.us.playstation.com
Evil Avatar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 06:05 PM   #2
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Well, if you're dodging a lynch mob..
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 08:50 PM   #3
Transylmania
Evil Dead

I've actually been waiting for this update. When I made my PSN account I got so frustrated trying to get a name that wasn't taken I just put something in to get set-up(thinking I could change it later somehow)and a few months ago I wanted to change it but..yeah. Seems strange it took this long to be able to do it this easily.
Transylmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 10:44 PM   #4
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

They’ve been working on rolling this out for YEARS. Part of the problem is because, unlike Xbox Live Sony has the individual companies set up their own infrastructure for online games. That means each game has player database with different IDs that they have to cross-reference back to the player’s PSN ID.

So, player creates their PSN ID of “AwsomeGuy” and then goes and plays “Online Game A”. AwesomeGuy has to create an account on the “Super Game Dev Interactive” multiplayer service or link the PSN ID.

Since Sony told “Super Game Dev” the users can’t change their name and all names were unique Super Game Dev uses “AwesomeGuy” as the key to the player record in their backend.

So player logs into PSN, Launches Online Game A which looks through it’s database “Oh yeah, PSN User AwesomeGuy = AwesomeGuy and is good to go for this game.”

Now the guy picks up a bad rep for being an asshole so he decides to change his name (not realizing the reputation will follow the PSN GUID, not the friendly name) to “NotAwesomeGuy”. He goes to log into PSN and it works, then he logs into SoCom but when he tries to authenticate the “Super Game Dev” backend but the backend doesn’t have an entry for “NotAwesomeGuy” so it has no idea what to do with this guy.

So before they could roll this out they needed to create tools for devs to retrofit all their systems which refer to the PSN ID (this is also in any gameshell or HUD elements which may be pulling from a backend server rather than pinging PSN for updated information all the time).

The opposite could also be true, when the player first created their ID and logged into the game service they could have cached he friendly name and update all the other information based on the PSN GUID so the name stays static. Now they need to run extra processes when players log in to validate and/or update the player ID.

The point is there’s a lot of systems that either use the PSN ID or the PSN GUID but not both as their login piece. Now a bunch of companies need to change and I suppose that is why it took so fricking long to roll this out.

Since all this infrastructure is owned by "Super Game Dev" and not Sony all Sony can do is make suggestions on how "Super Game Dev" should make changes (like capturing and keying to the Player ID GUID instead of the Friendly Name).

With Xbox Live, since Microsoft handled just about everything all changes and migrations are managed at a single point.

EDIT: Removed the name of any specific company, because it worked the same for almost all companies who set MP up for Sony. Most either used the name as their Key or the PSN ID for the key to build their player record but only ONCE at the time the account was linked. Considering one of the cert requirements is you have to show the PSN ID of the player when they do something in game (like talk, or if you're showing a name in a kill feed, or leaderboard) whatever they stored at that one point of account link is now invalid after the name is changed.

Which means now you have to get new information every time the user connects BUT! you're only allowed to request this info every so often according to other cert requirements so what do you do if the player changes their name while in game? Xbox Live just globally signs you out, but PSN doesn't own all the hardware so they can't do that.

Last edited by vallor; 04-11-2019 at 12:11 PM..
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 10:49 PM   #5
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Didn't Sony close Zipper down after the last Socom title bombed? Or different Zipper?
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 12:05 PM   #6
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Didn't Sony close Zipper down after the last Socom title bombed? Or different Zipper?
I used zipper as an example of someone who had to build their own infrastructure. I decided to change it but apparently missed a reference or two.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 03:56 PM   #7
Inkabodcrane
Subscriber

Changed my name last night. FINALLY! First here on this forum, now finally on PSN. Now my name is the same across everything, which is pretty cool.

Go Against the Flow.

Last edited by Inkabodcrane; 04-11-2019 at 10:50 PM..
Inkabodcrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 10:12 PM   #8
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Can't change child accounts even if you're the parent. Lame.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:13 PM   #9
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkabodcrane View Post
Changed my name last night. FINALLY! Fist here on this forum, now finally on PSN. Now my name is the same across everything, which is pretty cool.
NICE!!! It was hard to remember who you were on each.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:51 PM   #10
Inkabodcrane
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
NICE!!! It was hard to remember who you were on each.
You were smart from the start, already had the same name everywhere!

Go Against the Flow.
Inkabodcrane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
playstation network, psn