Today 05:04 PM
12 Replies, 860 Views

Old 06-16-2018, 09:25 AM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

More bad news for Telltale as ex-boss sues company

Eurogamer has the story.

Quote:
There's more bad news for Telltale, the company behind the Walking Dead and Minecraft: Story Mode series of adventure games, with its ex-boss suing the company.

The Marin Independent Journal reports Telltale co-founder Kevin Bruner, who became CEO in January 2015, filed the suit in late February, claiming breach of contract and other allegations.

The dispute revolves around Bruner's ousting as boss of Telltale in 2017. Bruner remained on the board, and now says the company was contractually obligated to provide him with informational support as he prepared to sell his holdings in common and preferred stock. But Telltale cut off communication. At around the same time, in September 2017, Telltale hired Peter Hawley, a former executive at the Zynga game company, as chief executive.

Bruner was then removed from the Telltale board of directors (he alleges this was done without enough stock to cast legitimate votes). According to the lawsuit: "The net effect of Bruner's alleged removal from the board of directors was that Bruner was deprived of relevant insight into the management and financial state of Telltale and the value of its shares."

Telltale's lawyers have responded, calling the suit meritless, and insisting it was filed "as an apparent means of extracting revenge on a company already under financial strain".

"The Company is now working to turn around the decline that it experienced under Plaintiff's stewardship."

Telltale had tried to defeat the lawsuit outright, but the judge decided to investigate. A case management conference is set for 17th July.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 09:31 AM   #2
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

If the voting stock thing is true, they are in a lot of trouble. He could win and pretty much put the company out of business in one swoop. This is why you don’t screw over people when you let them go.
Old 06-16-2018, 10:53 AM   #3
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
If the voting stock thing is true, they are in a lot of trouble. He could win and pretty much put the company out of business in one swoop. This is why you donít screw over people when you let them go.
Would anyone be sad to see them go st this point? Telltale feels like a good party that went on way, way too long.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 11:12 AM   #4
Sinistar
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
Would anyone be sad to see them go st this point? Telltale feels like a good party that went on way, way too long.
But then we wouldn't get the next Wolf Among Us and that would be a shame.
Sinistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 11:55 AM   #5
Exodus
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinistar View Post
nah the ip would probably get sold if there was enough interest
Old 06-16-2018, 01:43 PM   #6
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
nah the ip would probably get sold if there was enough interest
Yeah, someone would buy it and make a generic FPS out of it to fully ruin any legacy.
vallor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 05:33 PM   #7
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinistar View Post
I would love to see a new WAU, but Iím not sure we will. They have announced a ton of games that never saw the light of day, and their strategy seems to be fully leveraging the brand name of big franchises without game tie-ins as a shortcut to success.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:06 AM   #8
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

I tried to enjoy the first season of Walking Dead and Game of Thrones. Both have wonderful stories and cool characters that check all the marks for a great adventure game. But the controls are godawful shit. They couldn't just make an optional point and click interface for PC users? Walking around sucks. Interacting with anything sucks. The quicktime events are so bad I considered finding a cheat to skip them entirely. Such a shame. Had to go back to The Dig, Bladerunner, and Full Throttle to remember what adventure games are supposed to be like.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 09:58 PM   #9
Hellstorm
Evil Dead

WAU is licensed from Bill Willingham, so it's not even an original IP from TT. TT's problem is they rely on licensed IP which get's expensive, especially so when it is time to renegotiate those rights.. They don't have a hit original IP to their name that they can lean on and leverage, AFAIK.

They made some good money and have a bunch of writers and they didn't plan or work on original IPs as side projects, says to me this is a poorly run company.
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Hellstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 11:48 PM   #10
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellstorm View Post
WAU is licensed from Bill Willingham, so it's not even an original IP from TT. TT's problem is they rely on licensed IP which get's expensive, especially so when it is time to renegotiate those rights.. They don't have a hit original IP to their name that they can lean on and leverage, AFAIK.

They made some good money and have a bunch of writers and they didn't plan or work on original IPs as side projects, says to me this is a poorly run company.
Well, I think they felt like, especially after The Walking Dead exploded, that the brand name was everything. Their business plan was basically going up to hot or potentially hot brands, saying "you guys don't have a video game product tie-in. We can help with that." and then aligning their interests into a product that was supposed to be mutually beneficial.

I don't think anyone can argue that the established brand names are what got their games on the map. If they hadn't used established IPs, I don't think we would be talking about them at all right now.

I mean, how many people bought Thimbleweed Park? And King's Quest did okay, I think, but not gangbusters. Both of those games are far better than anything Telltale has put out. (Even though I really do love The Wolf Among Us.)
Old 06-18-2018, 06:24 AM   #11
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
I don't think anyone can argue that the established brand names are what got their games on the map. If they hadn't used established IPs, I don't think we would be talking about them at all right now.
Their very first game was using an established IP; Telltale Games was formed by former Lucasarts guys so they could make their own Sam & Max sequel after Lucasarts canceled their version back in 2004.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:43 AM   #12
Scherge
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
Their very first game was using an established IP; Telltale Games was formed by former Lucasarts guys so they could make their own Sam & Max sequel after Lucasarts canceled their version back in 2004.
You're not wrong per se, but Telltale's first game wasn't "Sam & Max". It was "Bone: Out From Boneville", back in 2005. At that point, I was really interested in where they were taking the beloved franchise, but like many stubborn old people, I hated the episodic business model. And wouldn't you know it: They never finished the series, which stopped after "The Great Cow Race" in early 2006. The few people who had bought into the smallish hype were really disappointed. Luckily, Telltale was able to turn the ship around by releasing the first season of S&M later during the same year. THAT game finally sold some decent numbers, even at retail (well, in Germany:-).

Telltale always had a talent for picking good licenses, and some of the visual adaptations were either impressively true to the source material ("Wallace & Gromit") or creative in just the right ways ("The Walking Dead"). However, I personally never found the games themselves great, and the commercial success of a title depended almost entirely on the popularity of the respective brand. I guess the exception was the "Jurassic Park" game, which should have been more successful, but was universally panned for being too QTE-heavy. I wonder what would have happened if "Jurassic World" had been released earlier...
Old 06-18-2018, 06:54 AM   #13
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scherge View Post
You're not wrong per se, but Telltale's first game wasn't "Sam & Max".
I didn't say it was their first game. Sam & Max was, however, specifically the reason why the studio was formed in the first place.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:25 AM   #14
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Minecraft Story Mode was better than anything else they've done.

Tags
telltale games