Microsoft Acquires...
Last post by Chimpbot
Today 07:03 AM
16 Replies, 917 Views

Old 04-20-2016, 10:34 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Microsoft Halts Xbox 360 Production #Xbox360

After hitting a milestone 10 years last November, Microsoft has announced that they will cease production of the Xbox 360 console.

Quote:
Xbox 360 means a lot to everyone in Microsoft. And while weve had an amazing run, the realities of manufacturing a product over a decade old are starting to creep up on us. Which is why we have made the decision to stop manufacturing new Xbox 360 consoles. We will continue to sell existing inventory of Xbox 360 consoles, with availability varying by country.

We know that many of you became gamers on Xbox 360 and are still active, so its important to us that while the overall Xbox gaming experience will evolve and grow, we will continue to support the platform you love in multiple ways:
  • Xbox 360 owners will continue to receive Xbox Live services for their console, such as online multiplayer gaming and parties, access to the apps they use today, and Games with Gold and Deals with Gold.
  • Xbox Live servers that support Xbox 360 services will also remain online and active. Our Xbox 360 fans can continue to play their favorite games with the full support of Xbox Live.
  • Gamers will also be able to continue to buy over 4,000 Xbox 360 games or Xbox 360 accessories at retail and through our Xbox 360 store online, while supplies last.
  • Any Xbox 360 hardware will still be supported at xbox.com/support.
  • And Xbox One owners will be able to continue to enjoy available Xbox 360 games through Xbox One Backward Compatibility at no additional cost.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 10:49 AM   #2
BadIronTree
Evil Dead

They were still making them ?
Old 04-20-2016, 11:02 AM   #3
Terran
Evil Dead

I am also surprised they were/are still making them. It was a good run, after initial disastrous mistakes. Had a lot of fun with the system, after initial disastrous problems that just about killed my desire to buy any MS product ever again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 12:04 PM   #4
ashikenshin
Evil Dead

I thought about getting one in case my current one died again. That thought quickly subsided.
ashikenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 01:48 PM   #5
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

I knew as soon as they started getting backwards compatibility going that they would end production.

I think the 360 was one of my most favorite consoles.
Old 04-20-2016, 01:53 PM   #6
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
I am also surprised they were/are still making them. It was a good run, after initial disastrous mistakes. Had a lot of fun with the system, after initial disastrous problems that just about killed my desire to buy any MS product ever again.
It's funny how they were able to garner so much good will amongst the customer base during the 360's run, especially with what should have been considered a disastrous first couple years. Despite all of the hardware failures, multiple SKUs and general insanity...people latched on to the 360 and never really let go. It was, at the end of the day, a miracle. To this day, I can't imagine how they were ever able to survive the hardware failure fiasco; with a failure rate purportedly around 10%, there's absolutely no reason why people should have stuck around...but, we did, for whatever reason. Perhaps it was a collective case of Stockholm Syndrome?

Microsoft squandered that inexplicable good will leading into the Xbox One and so far has been unable to repeat their previous miracle.
Old 04-20-2016, 01:55 PM   #7
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
It's funny how they were able to garner so much good will amongst the customer base during the 360's run, especially with what should have been considered a disastrous first couple years. Despite all of the hardware failures, multiple SKUs and general insanity...people latched on to the 360 and never really let go. It was, at the end of the day, a miracle.

Microsoft squandered that inexplicable good will leading into the Xbox One and so far has been unable to repeat their previous miracle.
But it's not unheard of. PS2 was an absolute juggernaut and while the PS3 was no failure, it didn't have the love of the PS2. Our hobby is filled with fickle people.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 02:00 PM   #8
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
But it's not unheard of. PS2 was an absolute juggernaut and while the PS3 was no failure, it didn't have the love of the PS2. Our hobby is filled with fickle people.
Well, Sony also squandered their good will with all of the crap Krazy Ken was spewing a decade ago. The PS3 was $100 more expensive and the company was basically saying that it's a product people will want to get a second job for in order to buy it.

The PS3 picked up loads of steam toward the end and maintained that momentum. I just think it's amazing that Microsoft even survived the 360's first two years, what with potentially one out of every ten consoles suffering from critical hardware failures.

Tags
xbox 360