Valkyria Chronicles 4...
Last post by Skunk
Yesterday 08:04 PM
7 Replies, 1,184 Views

Old 04-30-2016, 07:58 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Survey: Console Gaming is Dead Again #XboxOne #WiiU #PS4

Gamsutra - Survey: Less than half of U.S. households own dedicated game consoles

Quote:
The Electronic Software Association has published results from its annual survey (with Ipsos MediaCT) of 4,000 U.S. households, and the trade body's findings suggest that dedicated game console ownership is slipping a bit in America.

According to the ESA, 48 percent of U.S. households are home to a dedicated game console, though 65 percent of said households own a device that is used to play games -- which encompasses things like PCs, smartphones and tablets.

While the ESA's report should be taken with a grain of salt, it's still interesting to note that this is the first time in years that the percentage of homes in America with dedicated game consoles has dipped below the halfway mark: through 2013, 2014 and 2015 the number remained steady at 51 percent of American households surveyed owning at least one dedicated game console.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 08:14 PM   #2
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Perhaps it is as the picture suggests... the last of those old 360's finally RRoD and the numbers dropped as a result.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:19 PM   #3
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Or,.......PC Master Race?
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 12:55 AM   #4
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

This doesn't really make a whole lot of sense considering that both MS and Sony have sold record numbers of both of their consoles. Unless Pawnshops or trash heaps worldwide are overflowing with Xbox One's and PS4s... something is a amiss.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 05:57 AM   #5
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
This doesn't really make a whole lot of sense considering that both MS and Sony have sold record numbers of both of their consoles. Unless Pawnshops or trash heaps worldwide are overflowing with Xbox One's and PS4s... something is a amiss.
Hmm, not sure what you mean here. Record numbers? These are North America numbers

48.88mil Xbox 360s sold
12.85mil Xbox Ones sold

The Xbox One will be lucky and it's very doubtful to catch up to it's previous generation counterpart. Especially with how short this consoles lifecycle seems it's going to be.

If you look at the total console sales of the last generation

Wii - 45.38
Xbox 360 - 48.88
PS3 - 29.30
Total - 120.56

vs

Wii U - 5.89
Xbox One - 12.85
PS4 - 14.82
Total - 33.56

US Number of Households: 134mil

This generation has a long way to go catch up to the previous, suggesting maybe not a trash heap of PS4s and Xbox Ones, but rather a trash heap of Xbox 360s, Wiis, and PS3s, which is much more plausible.

Here's my little anecdotal story. I had 2 Xbox 360's in my house just 2 years ago. I sold one, and the other had a failed disc drive, so I wiped the drive and tossed it the trash. Check, 1 Xbox 360 in the trash heap. Oh yes, that reminds me. A good friend of mine had 2 Xbox 360's fail on him with the RRoD. He used both of them as target practice for his Taurus .45. 2 more in the trash.

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Useless as **** on a bull.
PatrickRes9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 06:29 AM   #6
Scherge
Subscriber

Quote:
Until recently, many families remembered they had a Wii in a cupboard somewhere. Those count as consoles, right?

Edit: In my opinion, people are too quick to disregard the last-gen consoles. I still have my PS3 and Xbox 360 connected to my TV. Sure, I mostly watch (3D) Blu-rays on the PS3 (thanks to its excellent remote control and more than adequate processing power), but I also still have a heap of PS3 and Xbox 360 games I hope to finish at some point. And I'll play "Gran Turismo 6" until Polyphony finally admits they won't fill the remaining roster of GT Vision cars.
Old 05-01-2016, 08:56 AM   #7
Terran
Evil Dead

This doesn't surprise me in the least. I do think we have turned a corner on consoles, and it is not a positive one for console hardware. People are far more interested in their mobile/tablet devices. That's where the gaming and eyeball-hours-per-day growth is going. That's exactly what has happened in my household, where we own four consoles and five handheld gaming devices, but none (except an old 3DS) from the current generation. My kids, when they game at all, game on their phones (older ones), tablets (younger ones), PC (middle ones), or with cards/boards (tabletop). My 360 gets fired up on occasion by my oldest son, but that's it with consoles.

I think consoles are in trouble of becoming irrelevant to a generation raised on mobile/tablet devices.

Giving people more of their own money...WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS? :D
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 09:13 AM   #8
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

God damn it I'm going to agree with Terran

My oldest will still fire up the 360 and wii/wii-u, but 90% of her gaming is now on a phone, or her 3DS. AAA titles she plays on the PC. The youngest is pure phone/tablet, and a couple of kid MMOs on the PC.

Neither kid cares about a new Xbone, or PS4. The oldest said the new Tomb Raider looked better on the PC (God bless her)!
Old 05-01-2016, 01:19 PM   #9
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
Hmm, not sure what you mean here. Record numbers? These are North America numbers

48.88mil Xbox 360s sold
12.85mil Xbox Ones sold

The Xbox One will be lucky and it's very doubtful to catch up to it's previous generation counterpart. Especially with how short this consoles lifecycle seems it's going to be.

If you look at the total console sales of the last generation

Wii - 45.38
Xbox 360 - 48.88
PS3 - 29.30
Total - 120.56

vs

Wii U - 5.89
Xbox One - 12.85
PS4 - 14.82
Total - 33.56

US Number of Households: 134mil

This generation has a long way to go catch up to the previous, suggesting maybe not a trash heap of PS4s and Xbox Ones, but rather a trash heap of Xbox 360s, Wiis, and PS3s, which is much more plausible.

Here's my little anecdotal story. I had 2 Xbox 360's in my house just 2 years ago. I sold one, and the other had a failed disc drive, so I wiped the drive and tossed it the trash. Check, 1 Xbox 360 in the trash heap. Oh yes, that reminds me. A good friend of mine had 2 Xbox 360's fail on him with the RRoD. He used both of them as target practice for his Taurus .45. 2 more in the trash.
Both MS and Sony have repeatedly trumpeted that both have sold more consoles this generation than they had, at this point, in the last generation.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...x-one-is-doing
Old 05-01-2016, 02:04 PM   #10
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Both MS and Sony have repeatedly trumpeted that both have sold more consoles this generation than they had, at this point, in the last generation.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...x-one-is-doing
Which doesn't mean shit if this cycle ends up being half of the last one.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 02:17 PM   #11
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Which doesn't mean shit if this cycle ends up being half of the last one.
I guess?

I dunno. It's really, really weird. It used to be normal for a console generation to be 5-7 years. Then MS and Sony said that a console generation as REALLY 10 years. Now we seem to see them saying that a console generation is actually 5-7 years and they were full of crap last time.

The gaming landscape, right now, reminds me very much of 1995 or so. You had the super nintendo and the genesis, and that was the core of the gaming landscape, but you also had a lot of stuff going on in the PC space that was booming and you had a lot of weird random hardware manufacturers putting out stuff like the 3DO. Sega was talking about the Saturn as well as the Mars and the Neptune. and who all of that was supposed to give the buyer "options".

It blew up in their face, obviously.
Old 05-01-2016, 03:03 PM   #12
Venkman
Evil Dead

I wonder what game sell rates are. I know people who only play one or two console titles, and that's it. Destiny is killing sales of other games.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 03:11 PM   #13
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman View Post
I wonder what game sell rates are. I know people who only play one or two console titles, and that's it. Destiny is killing sales of other games.
It does seem like there are more people playing singular games like Hearthstone, League Of Legends, or Destiny.

Less people seem to play "everything".

I know that I personally count as someone who owns a PS4 but I don't use it for much.
Old 05-01-2016, 05:16 PM   #14
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Lots of gamers are getting older too, and have less time for gaming. It's hard to justify a new console if you're only going to get to play it a couple times a month.
Old 05-01-2016, 08:53 PM   #15
Mojopin
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardedSonOfNel View Post
Lots of gamers are getting older too...
Shut your filthy mouth!
Mojopin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 08:56 PM   #16
Mojopin
Evil Dead

Every friends house that I visit with kids, it's always the same thing. After dinner, it's either a phone a or a tablet in their hands and each and every child has their head buried in that device. I can see why consoles are in trouble too...
Mojopin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 11:01 PM   #17
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojopin View Post
Every friends house that I visit with kids, it's always the same thing. After dinner, it's either a phone a or a tablet in their hands and each and every child has their head buried in that device. I can see why consoles are in trouble too...
I don't know why anyone would find this surprising though. (I know you didn't say you find it surprising.)

Everywhere I went for a decade, you would read gaming journalist talking about how "the average gamer is 25, 30, 35" or however old they were at the time because they wanted gaming to speak to THEM at the expense of anyone else. Nintendo has been the only gaming company that has been created titles for all-ages (not specifically for children) and companies that make game specifically FOR children make them so brain dead that I don't see how anyone can find them enjoyable.

MS and Sony basically blocked kids out of playing games on their machines. There's nothing for them there.
Old 05-02-2016, 04:45 AM   #18
31 Flavas
Baskin-Robbins

Quote:
I guess?

I dunno. It's really, really weird. It used to be normal for a console generation to be 5-7 years. Then MS and Sony said that a console generation as REALLY 10 years. Now we seem to see them saying that a console generation is actually 5-7 years and they were full of crap last time.
You mean, like how console war discussions shifted way from using total console system sales to determine system popularity after the Wii and DS.

As I remember, it was Sony's statement alone -- made after and in response to the PS3 struggling to sell with its $600 tag. Even though the PS4 was launched / released just 6 years later.

But, to the discussion at hand -- System sales have been in freefall. PS2, Xbox, Gamecube sold 200+ million systems. PS3, 360, Wii sold 120 million. PS4, Xbone, and WiiU are at 74 million so far.

I'm skeptical that the PS4 could double its system sales with another 3 years, let alone either the other two. This generation will again finish behind last again. Consoles are in decline.
[The DS] was a huge success because it had basically zero competition.
31 Flavas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 05:36 AM   #19
BeachGaara
Evil Dead

I think part of the problem is people are becoming more PC-savvy over time. Kids that grow up with them are not going to be afraid to build their own and not buy a console.
BeachGaara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 05:37 AM   #20
sai tyrus
Renegade Paragon

Consoles are in a decline. I posted a piece here a few years back and it all pointed towards mobile. I imagine a lot of hardcore older gamers simply go PC because there's more options. Poorer countries go PC because you can incrementally upgrade and there's the whole free to play market. I don't think consoles will die entirely. But when you look at the price of a console, tack on two hundred bucks or double the price and you can build a decent PC that easily outperforms a console. And the crazy thing is that PCs are largely just as simple as consoles, despite what some may say here. I probably have fewer updates than consoles do. And contrary to what some think, they're automatic, just like a console. The only hard thing with a PC is the initial build and occasional trouble shooting.

Regardless of all that though, mobile is where it's at. The data doesn't lie. VR can be the game changer, particularly for PC, as it's an entirely new genre and totally changes the playing field. But that's in its infancy and a lot can happen until the tech becomes cheaper. So we'll see. But I personally think the next generation of VR is going to be huge

Edit: I'll also add that when it comes to consoles, I bet Nintendo has the greatest chance of enduring. But that's because of their price. They wait until the hardware's cheaper. Two hundred to three hundred bucks for a console is far more appealing than four to five hundred. When you get to the higher prices, you're better off building a PC.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve!" - Bilbo Baggins
sai tyrus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
playstation 3, playstation 4, wii u, xbox 360, xbox one