Last post by Scherge
Yesterday 02:29 AM
3 Replies, 826 Views

Old 05-04-2016, 06:38 AM   #41
sai tyrus
Renegade Paragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
All good points. Also keep in mind that we all look at PC gaming as a bit of a no brainer. You'd be surprised at the number of people out there who like games but don't really know anything about PC innards. We know that building a gaming PC is easy but there are a lot of gamers who don't even know the first step. Also, the initial cost can be deceiving. Yes you can go cheap on a gaming PC but if you know how to build a gaming PC, you likely won't just go cheap and be satisfied. In my experience, once you start planning the build, the cost quietly goes up and up.
I can also agree with that. I think the big difference is that most people who build PCs are like car enthusiasts. They've researched what they need to do and often have the money to spend. Situations are unique, for sure. I've got one buddy who games, along with his three boys. Getting 4 XB1s was on par with building a single solid gaming PC. So situations were different. And he didn't want to hassle with building one.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve!" - Bilbo Baggins
sai tyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 07:25 AM   #42
Terran
Evil Dead

The whole cost and inconvenience argument as to building a PC is an ancient and outdated critique. Five years is an eternity in technology. Also, the reality is that unless you're looking to bother with a PC that can push max settings in games (power users), you have no need to build one yourself. You can buy a stock PC that will play most stuff just fine just like you can buy a console that plays stuff. With the PC you've bought a device that can also do so much more than just play games, and the reality is that most people have to have a PC and already do (80%+ of American households have a desktop PC), and when you combine that with the cost of the console hardware, the lack of many true exclusives, and the shift of casual gamers to mobile devices, you have a perfect storm against console adoption. Why buy something your kids aren't really interested in with games you can mostly already get on the PC you already own?

It's only going to get worse. Kids today are not growing up as console gamers. They're growing up as mobile device addicts. They're not going to go back to consoles as adults, because they never truly were console kids.

Giving people more of their own money...WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS? :D
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 07:35 AM   #43
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
The whole cost and inconvenience argument as to building a PC is an ancient and outdated critique. Five years is an eternity in technology. Also, the reality is that unless you're looking to bother with a PC that can push max settings in games (power users), you have no need to build one yourself. You can buy a stock PC that will play most stuff just fine just like you can buy a console that plays stuff. With the PC you've bought a device that can also do so much more than just play games, and the reality is that most people have to have a PC and already do (80%+ of American households have a desktop PC), and when you combine that with the cost of the console hardware, the lack of many true exclusives, and the shift of casual gamers to mobile devices, you have a perfect storm against console adoption. Why buy something your kids aren't really interested in with games you can mostly already get on the PC you already own?

It's only going to get worse. Kids today are not growing up as console gamers. They're growing up as mobile device addicts. They're not going to go back to consoles as adults, because they never truly were console kids.
I won't argue the trend but I don't think it's a one or the other scenario (i.e. gaming on mobile OR gaming on console.) I can only give anecdotal evidence but here it is nonetheless. My kids, along with all of their cousins, do game on mobile devices. But it's always a holdover of sorts, like a snack instead of a meal. They'll play for a few minutes here or there. What they really love is gaming on consoles. In my family they run from ages 4 to 18 and they all love sitting in front of the Wii U or PS4 and playing games. And, aside from the 18 year old, none of them really wants to game on the PC (and even the 18 year old prefers the consoles.) I bought Terraria for the PC when it was on sale for $2 and my son really didn't want anything to do with it. He used some of his own money to pick up the PS4 version and now he and his brother and cousins love playing it together. Kids may be migrating to mobile devices but I think they still like their consoles so the decline of that market may be a lot slower than some of us think.
Chief Smash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 01:37 PM   #44
Major Dan
Conductor Dan

I also got to thinking, that there is a general decline of the importance of the living/family room it seems. Growing up you were lucky to have one TV and maybe one computer, later in life. So having a game console let you play games, like having a computer, hooked to your TV. But then you had to share that TV with, well TV watching times. Completely different dynamic now days, you can watch TV any time, any where now. So people are using, or not using, the Living/Family room differently now. Heck you game game nearly any where now also, so things are radically different then when consoles started. There are other valid points brought up in this thread, but I thought I would add my $.02 in.

Tags
playstation 3, playstation 4, wii u, xbox 360, xbox one