Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 10:57 AM   #2
Male Chauvinist
Knight

Lucifer damn feminists.
Old 07-16-2017, 10:59 AM   #3
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Seems like a decent actress, but it is such obvious pandering. First they cast a black female lesbian as the companion and now they are casting a woman as the Doctor.

What is weird is that they are dumping Capaldi after only 2 seasons? Seems like the ratings aren't what they should be. They should be asking themselves if pandering to a smaller base will improve ratings or will it continue to slide?

I'm guessing we will be hearing the announcement of the 14th Doctor before you know it.
Old 07-16-2017, 11:18 AM   #4
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
Seems like a decent actress, but it is such obvious pandering. First they cast a black female lesbian as the companion and now they are casting a woman as the Doctor.

What is weird is that they are dumping Capaldi after only 2 seasons? Seems like the ratings aren't what they should be. They should be asking themselves if pandering to a smaller base will improve ratings or will it continue to slide?

I'm guessing we will be hearing the announcement of the 14th Doctor before you know it.
He played the character for three seasons, the same as Matt Smith.
Old 07-16-2017, 11:41 AM   #5
BadIronTree
Evil Dead

I hate every new Doctor since i loved the previous one :P
Yes even the first one in the new series
Old 07-16-2017, 12:37 PM   #6
walstib
Soul Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post

guess it has been a long time for me. i started watching when John Pertwee was playing Dr #3. caught a few of the post Sylvester McCoy episodes but it never stuck with me. i thought he had 12 regenerations but i suppose they fixed that somewhere....

this news though makes me want to puke. it is clearly pandering.

next up will be a trans dr. who also happens to be gay.
walstib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 01:50 PM   #7
Mephistopheles
Evil Dead

My issue with the handling of diversifying representation in these things is done is that is seems to often come at the expense of male characters instead of happening alongside them. As is the case here, it leverages the popularity of a male character and then tries to replace them with a female.

If they want a Time Lady, they already have one: Romana. Why not spin it off as a parallel show with Romana as the title character? Because then they would have the build the character on its own merits rather than just borrowing the existing popularity of the Doctor and parachuting a female in.
Mephistopheles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 02:05 PM   #8
MusicToEat
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by walstib View Post
guess it has been a long time for me. i started watching when John Pertwee was playing Dr #3. caught a few of the post Sylvester McCoy episodes but it never stuck with me. i thought he had 12 regenerations but i suppose they fixed that somewhere....

this news though makes me want to puke. it is clearly pandering.

next up will be a trans dr. who also happens to be gay.
During Matt Smith's reign they had the Gallifreyans grants him a new regeneration cycle.

She's a good actress at least, but she doesn't strike me as zany enough to be the Doctor. We shall see. So much for hoping the new show runner, Chris Chibnall, would tone down the identity politics. This past season was so lefty politics heavy.
MusicToEat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 03:29 PM   #9
Dag-Sabot
Evil Dead

You had me at Jodi Foster.
Old 07-16-2017, 06:18 PM   #10
Vulture
Evil Dead

I think it's more than just pandering (they are still heavy euro look), I think that the writers are bereft of ideas but too PC to actually do something with a female doctor (so yeah no lez relationships I bet for this one).
Vulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 06:40 PM   #11
brandonjclark
Subscriber

I do NOT like this show. Eat it.
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 06:41 PM   #12
subroc
Dread Lord

Yeah I don't watch Doctor Who either, but I liked her in Attack The Block.
subroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 08:49 PM   #13
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

She's pretty at least. For someone for whom Dr. Who basically ended for in the 70's I haven't really kept up.

I guess there's no reason it couldn't be a female but in today's culture it's hard to make any change to a character without coming across as doing it because of pandering to identity politics or some such.

I'm watching Super Girl season 2 right now and one of the main characters is struggling to come to terms with the idea she's gay after a whole life thinking she's straight and not really fitting into that square peg. To some this might seem to be shoehorning "Oh God, had to have a gay in there. SHEESH!" but to me it feels like a very organic part of the show although the reactions of the other characters are more one dimensional.

My point is a twist doesn't have to have a reason beyond it just being something interesting. Maybe WE'RE the one's reading too much into it.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 09:12 PM   #14
Male Chauvinist
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephistopheles View Post
My issue with the handling of diversifying representation in these things is done is that is seems to often come at the expense of male characters instead of happening alongside them. As is the case here, it leverages the popularity of a male character and then tries to replace them with a female.

If they want a Time Lady, they already have one: Romana. Why not spin it off as a parallel show with Romana as the title character? Because then they would have the build the character on its own merits rather than just borrowing the existing popularity of the Doctor and parachuting a female in.
Feminists don't want that, they want female supremacy.
Old 07-16-2017, 09:54 PM   #15
Rommel
International Playboy

I showed the trailer to my girlfriend, who has never seen an episode of Doctor Who...

"...Why a woman? Why Beth? All Beth does is cry."
drive into the daughter's womb proper, fill the uterus with the dick snot
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
Rommel gave the right answer
*Not in context
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 12:56 AM   #16
excalibur1814
Evil Dead

I do like Doctor Who, always have, but it's not shocking to finally have a Female Doctor. I watched 'The Eaters of Light' last night, with my girlfriend, who complained about the 'lesbian' bit in the cave."Why couldn't she just say 'no thanks' instead of going into the 'I'm a lesbian' stuff?" Fair point.

This season featured quite a few plot holes, some glaring, so I expect the next season to have an initial boost to ratings which will slowly fall to a new low by the end. I could be wrong and I think that Jodie fits the Doctor mould, but it's such a risky change.

I didn't mind the Master being female. The twist in Elementary, having Natalie Dormer play a female Moriarty, was a great twist. I even liked the Thor being a female, which worked, as Thor still existed without the hammer.
excalibur1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 03:08 AM   #17
Juice
Squire

Quote:
Originally Posted by excalibur1814 View Post
I do like Doctor Who, always have, but it's not shocking to finally have a Female Doctor. I watched 'The Eaters of Light' last night, with my girlfriend, who complained about the 'lesbian' bit in the cave."Why couldn't she just say 'no thanks' instead of going into the 'I'm a lesbian' stuff?" Fair point.

This season featured quite a few plot holes, some glaring, so I expect the next season to have an initial boost to ratings which will slowly fall to a new low by the end. I could be wrong and I think that Jodie fits the Doctor mould, but it's such a risky change.

I didn't mind the Master being female. The twist in Elementary, having Natalie Dormer play a female Moriarty, was a great twist. I even liked the Thor being a female, which worked, as Thor still existed without the hammer.
I think every episode pointed out how she was a lesbian. Steven Moffit has lost it 100%. He is the main influence that has caused each actor to leave the show.
Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:13 AM   #18
MusicToEat
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
She's pretty at least. For someone for whom Dr. Who basically ended for in the 70's I haven't really kept up.

I guess there's no reason it couldn't be a female but in today's culture it's hard to make any change to a character without coming across as doing it because of pandering to identity politics or some such.

I'm watching Super Girl season 2 right now and one of the main characters is struggling to come to terms with the idea she's gay after a whole life thinking she's straight and not really fitting into that square peg. To some this might seem to be shoehorning "Oh God, had to have a gay in there. SHEESH!" but to me it feels like a very organic part of the show although the reactions of the other characters are more one dimensional.

My point is a twist doesn't have to have a reason beyond it just being something interesting. Maybe WE'RE the one's reading too much into it.
You're right that a change doesn't necessarily mean it was done for PC reasons, but you've said you haven't really watched Dr Who since the 70s, so you haven't really seen the recent changes. Since the reboot, there's been the fair share of PC identity politics in the show, but this last season took it over the top. Black lesbian companion, a black centurion, two anti-Trump jokes, and more I can't think of off the top of my head. It just felt like every episode was forcing some sort of leftist political content into it. That wasn't done to progress the story, but just because. I'm used to Sci-fi shows having leftist themes, and I don't mind it, if it is for storytelling reasons. I'm not against the idea of a female Doctor, but I'm not overly optimistic at this point.

The Doctor has always been a madman with a box, as long as she's a madwoman with a box, it could be interesting. My concern is that they're going to change the formula up, because they don't want to show a woman in any kind of negative light. One of the interesting things about the reboot is how they've shown the Doctor to not be perfect. How he sometimes makes mistakes and the consequences of those mistakes. I predict if they continue that with a female Doctor there's going to be a ton of criticism that "they'd never have done this or that if it was a male Doctor." We'll see. I'm just glad that Moffat is finally gone. I really enjoyed his stuff with Amy, Rory, and River, but ever since Clara his writing has really dropped off.
MusicToEat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 11:01 AM   #19
Phoenix1985
Subscriber

You know, I'd heard people saying alt-righters would be screeching like man-children (paraphrased but close enough) after this reveal. I just shrugged and went "Eh, probably not the case, most people probably won't care"

And yet here you all are bitching about it. You really make it hard to try and see both sides of an argument sometimes.
Phoenix1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 11:17 AM   #20
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix1985 View Post
You know, I'd heard people saying alt-righters would be screeching like man-children (paraphrased but close enough) after this reveal. I just shrugged and went "Eh, probably not the case, most people probably won't care"

And yet here you all are bitching about it. You really make it hard to try and see both sides of an argument sometimes.
It doesn't help that any opinion that falls short of complete acceptance and excitement automatically gets you labelled as a misogynist.

I have issues with it primarily due to the timing and from the design standpoint; otherwise, I'll give this one the same shot I've given the rest. The decision has already been made and the change is officially in place, so there really isn't much of a point in complaining about it further.

At this point, I just don't see her doing some of the stranger/goofier stuff the Doctor is know for. She's almost too pretty for the role; all of the others were pretty odd looking, at the end of the day.

Tags
doctor who