4 Replies, 757 Views
» Promotion

Old 11-13-2017, 01:05 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Amazon Adapting Lord Of The Rings For A Multi-Season TV Show

Game Informer has the story.

Quote:
Amazon Studios announces a Prime-exclusive Lord of the Rings TV series with a possible spin-off, as well.

The deal, announced today, has Amazon creating a show that takes place preceding the The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien and is confirmed for multiple seasons. Amazon also confirms it will be exclusive to Amazon Prime's streaming service that is part of Amazon's Prime subscription. Amazon also has the rights to a potential spin-off series, but no details were made available about it.

“The Lord of the Rings is a cultural phenomenon that has captured the imagination of generations of fans through literature and the big screen,” said Amazon Studios' Sharon Tal Yguado.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 01:10 PM   #2
Blackwing
Slacker

Well I suppose it's about due. It's been what...15 years since the movie trilogy?
Blackwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 01:35 PM   #3
Exodus
Evil Dead

Whyyyyyyyyyyy.

There are so many other sagas that would be fresh and follow the same motif.

Yeesh.
Old 11-13-2017, 02:01 PM   #4
hurstshifter
Soul Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
Whyyyyyyyyyyy.
Yeesh.
My sentiment exactly. Jackson did a great job with LOTR, this just screams money grab. Adapt something else that is in dire need. Like, say, The Dark Tower.
hurstshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 02:17 PM   #5
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurstshifter View Post
My sentiment exactly. Jackson did a great job with LOTR, this just screams money grab. Adapt something else that is in dire need. Like, say, The Dark Tower.
You mean that thing that's already happening?
Old 11-13-2017, 03:24 PM   #6
blackzc
Evil Dead

The Silmarillion > The Bible.

Fuck this TV show.
Old 11-13-2017, 03:30 PM   #7
walstib
Soul Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzc View Post
The Silmarillion > The Bible.

Fuck this TV show.
they will screw it up.

jackson understood the attention to detail needed to make it work

the silmarillion would make an awesome mini series on say HBO
walstib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 03:47 PM   #8
t3kl3r
Evil Dead

I would like a good adaption of The Hobbit. It's one of my favorite books of all time. Such a perfect, humble, adventure story. Simple enough to read to a child, but dense with atmosphere and great story telling.

Sure, it's been done recently, but I'd prefer to forget that ever happened. And it'd be easier to forget if another adaption replaced it. God, those movies were such shit.
t3kl3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 04:31 PM   #9
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3kl3r View Post
I would like a good adaption of The Hobbit. It's one of my favorite books of all time. Such a perfect, humble, adventure story. Simple enough to read to a child, but dense with atmosphere and great story telling.

Sure, it's been done recently, but I'd prefer to forget that ever happened. And it'd be easier to forget if another adaption replaced it. God, those movies were such shit.
I don't know if i can be done. Movies will always have to appeal to everyone, Stuff like Legolas sliding down the trunk of a Mumakil is just going to happen.

I've found the best way to get into LOTR is just reading the books. Also for about 8 years, i played LOTRO. Its very faithful to the lore. Browsing Wiki's is also a good way to learn.

IMO LOTR is a lifelong thing you do. There are decades of writings to read, re read, tie together..
Old 11-13-2017, 05:43 PM   #10
hurstshifter
Soul Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
You mean that thing that's already happening?
I want to say, last I read, that the TV series in the works is going to cover Wizard and Glass only. Awesome book, maybe the best in the series, but I'd definitely like to see The Dark Tower get the full treatment from front to back.
hurstshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 07:58 PM   #11
Exodus
Evil Dead

I'm gonna level with you here. There are a SLEW of sagas out there with more up to date ideals, more characters with witty dialogue than LOTR.

This is a fucking dump in the toilet.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:52 PM   #12
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
I'm gonna level with you here. There are a SLEW of sagas out there with more up to date ideals, more characters with witty dialogue than LOTR.

This is a fucking dump in the toilet.

Because when i think saga, i think witty dialog. And not one written by a writer who knew how to speak and write basically every European language NEW and OLD. He knew runic, he knew Celtic, Nordic, Greek, Germanic, Slav culture.

The LOTR trilogy and the lore book are essentially 2000 years western mythology all wrapped into one compendium.

Tolkien's books are the most important books since the bible. We may one day need these books to rebuild.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:57 PM   #13
Kreigmstr
Evil Dead

Quote:

Because when i think saga, i think witty dialog. And not one written by a writer who knew how to speak and write basically every European language NEW and OLD. He knew runic, he knew Celtic, Nordic, Greek, Germanic, Slav culture.

The LOTR trilogy and the lore book are essentially 2000 years western mythology all wrapped into one compendium.

Tolkien's books are the most important books since the bible. We may one day need these books to rebuild.
Don't forget that he created Elvish as a language.

Still unless they are going to do the actual story with no creative twists i don't have much interest. I liked movies a lot, but the changes he did make really bug me.

I'd much rather see the Book Swords series (Fred Saberhagen), The Belgariad (David Eddings) or The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant (Stephen R. Donaldson). Hell Dragonlance would be awesome but probably a huge effects budget.
Old 11-14-2017, 03:24 AM   #14
Juan
Evil Dead

Quote:

There are so many better fantasy books than LOTR. Weis and Hickman, Raymond E Feist, Joe Abercrombie, George R R Martin...all did some fantastic stuff that I enjoyed more than the Hobbit & LOTR.

I'm not saying Tolkien's stuff is bad but it was built upon and improved by lots of authors.
Juan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 06:26 AM   #15
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Based on the fact that they've been in active talks with the Tolkien Estate...it may actually end up being a Silmarillion series. It was the one major piece that they still held the film rights to.

Given the span of that book and the nature of the way it was written, there would be plenty of room to turn it into a great series.

If this ends up as something other than covering material from The Silmarillion, I'll be extremely surprised.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:14 PM   #16
bub64882
Evil Dead

You guys ever read http://www.caverns-and-creatures.com/ ?

I found the audio books to be really well done, and hilarious.

Still, I'll take a LOTR show anyday. Contrasted with "Bright" the Will Smith "what if orcs and elves and shit were in today's world", I see them taking chances and sticking with classics. Something for everyone.
bub64882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:25 PM   #17
ashikenshin
Subscriber

Yeah, most (if not all) of fantasy writers want to be Tolkien 2.0 or be as far away from Tolkien as possible and it's just boring at this point. Better stick with the original.
ashikenshin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 04:00 PM   #18
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreigmstr View Post
Don't forget that he created Elvish as a language.

Still unless they are going to do the actual story with no creative twists i don't have much interest. I liked movies a lot, but the changes he did make really bug me.
If I hear any more about Tom Bobadil I'm going to have to put a virtual cap in a mutha

Quote:
I'd much rather see the Book Swords series (Fred Saberhagen)
A good start

Quote:
The Belgariad (David Eddings)
Written at a juvenile level. You've got to be kidding me. This is home to some of the WORST tropes ever. The only flatter characters and thinner plots are in David Gemmell but at least Gemmell did it on purpose because he knew the stories he was telling were about legends and were meant to be quick pulpy reads. Eddings actually thought he was DEEP!

Quote:
The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant (Stephen R. Donaldson)
Good lord, the guy spends 90% the pages bitching and moaning in self pity about "woe is me, I is leper, woe is me!". If I were going to make a movie or series from him I'd do it using his "Gap" Sci Fi stuff.

Quote:
Hell Dragonlance would be awesome but probably a huge effects budget.
Again, very shallow and the worst example of stereo types except this time in the high fantasy. At best I'd say if we're going to use a TSR/Wizards world something along the line of Forgotten Realms allows for better stories and more growth due to the large amount of variety in the franchise.

Also, since the 90s fantasy has moved away from the "high" fantasy type with authors like Tad Williams, Robin Hobb, Robert Jordan, Glen Cook (who's fantasy is uneven at best I say). Look at the "recents" like Joe Abercrombie, George RR Martin, and the notable newbie Patrick Rothfuss; they are almost entirely human centric with a few shots of the mystic and fantastical to add the fantasy.

Is it time for high fantasy to make a comeback? I don't know. Book trends in the last 20 years tell us no, at least not for adult fare. We're requiring more intelligence from our books. I hear kids don't read much these days. We have to rely on things like Fablehaven, and Harry Potter to guide the taste of these movie goers.

Speaking of which. I'm surprised there hasn't been a Fablehaven movie or TV series yet. On the other hand Narnia failed. Course that's probably because they only invested 75% of what they needed into the CGI budget and the stories didn't resonate with a modern audience.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 07:43 PM   #19
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

I'd rather see Brandon Sanderson's Cosmere books get adaptations; he's easily one of the best modern fantasy authors and his stories would easily translate to film or television. He's also got a healthy blend of intelligent stories and mid- to high-fantasy.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:04 PM   #20
blackzc
Evil Dead

Christopher Tolkien is handing over the keys to Arda. He's 93. Could be good could be bad. Most likely bad. I guess there wasn't anyone left in the family..

Tags
lord of the rings