Today 04:36 PM
5 Replies, 246 Views
» Promotion

Old 11-14-2017, 09:41 AM   #21
Capt_Thad
Do a Barrell Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
They diminished the number of credits you receive along with the 75% reduction in cost. It's kind of a shitty "fix" that doesn't really do much to help anything.
The only change they made to credit earning is specifically to the crate you get from clearing the campaign, which was designed to allow the player to buy Iden Versio. That particular crate was adjusted to reflect her new cost. There are no other changes to credit earn rates right now.

That's been officially confirmed by EA and extensively by the players already in the game.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:43 AM   #22
GabeCube
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt_Thad View Post
The only change they made to credit earning is specifically to the crate you get from clearing the campaign, which was designed to allow the player to buy Iden Versio. That particular crate was adjusted to reflect her new cost. There are no other changes to credit earn rates right now.

That's been officially confirmed by EA and extensively by the players already in the game.
While this is true, it is also true that credits given for MP are based on time played, not performance during the match - which has led the community to focus on some pretty bad matches, from what I heard from my friends.

So... yeah, not exactly great game design.
GabeCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:44 AM   #23
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt_Thad View Post

Ah, okay. Gotcha.

I'll redact the "slap in the face" part, but the original implementation was still a bad idea and you don't need a history in game design to recognize that.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:46 AM   #24
Capt_Thad
Do a Barrell Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabeCube View Post
While this is true, it is also true that credits given for MP are based on time played, not performance during the match - which has led the community to focus on some pretty bad matches, from what I heard from my friends.

So... yeah, not exactly great game design.
Yeah, that's a problem. The design intent they've been touting for a month is that you'd get a participation award for the match itself, but performance awards from daily/weekly challenges. Doesn't seem like those have been turned on yet. Should hear more about it tomorrow--whether they'll stick with the initial plan or adopt a new one.

Last edited by Capt_Thad; 11-14-2017 at 09:57 AM..
Capt_Thad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:20 AM   #25
BadIronTree
Evil Dead

https://twitter.com/WarThunder/statu...72730704666624
savage xD
Old 11-14-2017, 10:29 AM   #26
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Quote:
Ah, okay. Gotcha.

I'll redact the "slap in the face" part, but the original implementation was still a bad idea and you don't need a history in game design to recognize that.
Sorry, I had a knee jerk reaction, but honestly I am sick and tired of 80% of players in online matches running around with the top unlocks within a week of release date of a game. I like to think avoiding that was part of EA's original motivation and not JUST "we're money grubbers." Making end goals harder discourages trading in the game, and you can't fault the publisher for wanting that. I bet that if there was no way to buy in-game currency or chars with real money the outcry over the high cost would be a whimper at best.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:25 AM   #27
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoia View Post
EA: "Does our shit smells better now?"

Hahaha, thats great.

God, what a shit tier company. They are total trash.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:52 PM   #28
ashikenshin
Subscriber

They removed the option to get a refund for preorders on this game. Lol
ashikenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:03 PM   #29
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
Sorry, I had a knee jerk reaction, but honestly I am sick and tired of 80% of players in online matches running around with the top unlocks within a week of release date of a game. I like to think avoiding that was part of EA's original motivation and not JUST "we're money grubbers." Making end goals harder discourages trading in the game, and you can't fault the publisher for wanting that. I bet that if there was no way to buy in-game currency or chars with real money the outcry over the high cost would be a whimper at best.
If the high cost was present without any means to purchase in-game currency, very few people would be complaining and the ones that were would likely be part of a vocal minority. There's nothing wrong with a publisher or developer implementing systems that encourages playerbase longevity.

That is not, however, what is going on here.

This entire setup is designed from the ground up to encourage people to spend additional money to speed up a process intentionally designed to be slow as a means of further monetizing the game.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:08 PM   #30
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
This is such a dumbshit argument. You don't need "Game Design" on your CV to know that their original implementation was a bad idea, or that their "fix" is essentially a slap in the face.

By your logic, no one should have complained about Diablo 3's RMAH; they should have "left game design to the professional".
Holy fuck if I've ever seen a case of comparing apples to oranges, there it is.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:11 PM   #31
Booda
Beam another Blast

Lol! I can't wait to grind a dozen hours so I can play as Leather Bar Solo.

This shit show is starting to be too much.
Booda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 02:12 PM   #32
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Holy fuck if I've ever seen a case of comparing apples to oranges, there it is.
In the case of Battlefront 2, we have a progression system that is artificially hampered by microtransactions; while it was possible to progress, it was also intentionally designed to be far easier to fork over additional money and speed up the process.

In the case of the RMAH, the itemization was designed in such a way that it effectively funneled people to the auction house, where they would spend money in a manner similar to a microtransaction in order to better progress through the game. It was possible to progress in the game...but it was a hell of a lot easier to fork over cash for gear that was actually appropriate for your level. The game's itemization was a major complaint until the RMAH was removed.

In both cases, the games progression was hampered in the name of generating more revenue for the publisher. The means were different, but the end results were the same. They're both "game design" decisions made with the intent of reaching into customers' pockets time and again...but, we apparently shouldn't complain about them if we don't have "Game Design" on our CV.

Last edited by Chimpbot; 11-14-2017 at 02:31 PM..
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 02:35 PM   #33
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
In the case of Battlefront 2, we have a progression system that is artificially hampered by microtransactions; while it was possible to progress, it was also intentionally designed to be far easier to fork over additional money and speed up the process.

In the case of the RMAH, the itemization was designed in such a way that it effectively funneled people to the auction house, where they would spend money in a manner similar to a microtransaction in order to better progress through the game. It was possible to progress in the game...but it was a hell of a lot easier to fork over cash for gear that was actually appropriate for your level. The game's itemization was a major complaint until the RMAH was removed.

In both cases, the games progression was hampered in the name of generating more revenue for the publisher. The means were different, but the end results were the same.
The RMAH made playing pointless period. That isn't the case here, you can still unlock and find good items and cards without ever spending a dime, it's obviously going to be easier for those who do spend real money however.

I have no horse in this race, I don't plan on picking this up for a while til it's discounted and I only want to play the single player campaign anyway. It just cracks me up how many hurt vaginas there are because it's an EA published game. OOO EA SO EVIL! Hey let me go spend money for shark cards in GTAV since all the cool shit in that game is overpriced even more than it is in Battlefront 2. Just as a single example. Or having to buy VC in NBA2k to do anything at all, even change a haircut of your Myplayer.

If Electronic Arts name wasn't on the front of the box, the outcry you're seeing would be nothing more than a whimper if that at all.

The other thing for me in regards to this game really, having stuff to unlock and earn gives the player a reason for playing, it gives them something to work towards, and really I don't have an issue with that. To me that's the reward for putting an effort in and if you like said particular game, be it Battlefront, or Call of Duty or insert title here, to me that's not bad game development, it's incentive to continue to play and unlock new toys.
Old 11-14-2017, 02:46 PM   #34
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
The other thing for me in regards to this game really, having stuff to unlock and earn gives the player a reason for playing, it gives them something to work towards, and really I don't have an issue with that. To me that's the reward for putting an effort in and if you like said particular game, be it Battlefront, or Call of Duty or insert title here, to me that's not bad game development, it's incentive to continue to play and unlock new toys.
See, that's perfectly fine. If the threshold was 40 hours per hero character and they didn't have the microtransaction bullshit...it'd still be excessive, but at least it's a legitimate challenge.

This system was not designed to reward effort, though. It was designed to be tedious and protracted to frustrate players into opening up their wallets.
Old 11-14-2017, 02:49 PM   #35
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
See, that's perfectly fine. If the threshold was 40 hours per hero character and they didn't have the microtransaction bullshit...it'd still be excessive, but at least it's a legitimate challenge.

This system was not designed to reward effort, though. It was designed to be tedious and protracted to frustrate players into opening up their wallets.
Agreed believe it or not. Though which is worse, this type of system or Season Passes that cost an extra 40 or whatever for extra content? I kinda prefer this though I think EA would be better served to perhaps lessen the grind to get there? Not that people will stop bitching even if they did do that. People hate Electronic Arts, often in an unfair way to how they treat other publishers who do the same exact thing.
Old 11-14-2017, 02:57 PM   #36
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Quote:

Quote:
Agreed believe it or not. Though which is worse, this type of system or Season Passes that cost an extra 40 or whatever for extra content? I kinda prefer this though I think EA would be better served to perhaps lessen the grind to get there? Not that people will stop bitching even if they did do that. People hate Electronic Arts, often in an unfair way to how they treat other publishers who do the same exact thing.
I agree with these two guys agreeing, or something like that.

Time for a classic.

Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 03:32 PM   #37
Sensei-X
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booda View Post

Lol! I can't wait to grind a dozen hours so I can play as Leather Bar Solo.

This shit show is starting to be too much.
Wtf?! Is one of the unlockables Jeff Bridges cosplaying as Han Solo?
Old 11-14-2017, 03:43 PM   #38
Booda
Beam another Blast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensei-X View Post
Wtf?! Is one of the unlockables Jeff Bridges cosplaying as Han Solo?
Booda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 04:39 PM   #39
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

How to refund BF2. Because EA screwed up. Again. Because they're EA
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
star wars battlefront ii