47 Replies, 6,154 Views
» Promotion

Old 06-19-2017, 05:01 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Halo 6 Won't Be Revealed "For Quite Some Time"

GameSpot has the story.

Quote:
Halo developer 343 Industries announced in advance of E3 that the "next major entry in the franchise" would not be at the show. Much to the disappointment of those still hoping for a surprise Halo 6 announcement, the game was indeed a no-show. And it sounds as if a reveal just isn't around the corner, either.

The latest blog post on the series' website confirms that the first official word about Halo 6--or whatever it might be called--is far from imminent. "For some people--like most who are still reading this blog--the Xbox media briefing was bandied about as much for what it didn't show, as what it did," it said. "Specifically, a new (or old-made-new) Halo title. For some folks, their despair stemmed from a lack of remastered fight-finishing. I know I know, we should have told you ahead of time to not expect anything like that.

"Others were hoping for a tease of things farther off to come. While there's little to nothing that can be said on that front, it's been made clear that we won't be talking about Halo's next major title for quite some time. And no, that doesn’t mean Gamescom. Or PAX. Trust us, when we’re ready to begin pulling back that proverbial curtain, you'll know. It won't be soon."
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 05:05 PM   #2
Terran
Evil Dead

Don't pull the curtain back yet because the emperor has no clothes currently. What happened to Halo? It just feels...mediocre now. Insignificant.
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 11:25 PM   #3
Ozymandis
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
Don't pull the curtain back yet because the emperor has no clothes currently. What happened to Halo? It just feels...mediocre now. Insignificant.
It wasn't long ago that Halo was a top 5 console franchise. Microsoft killed that. Halo needs to go back to the drawing board. I don't think it can survive another fuckup.
Ozymandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 03:00 AM   #4
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandis View Post
It wasn't long ago that Halo was a top 5 console franchise. Microsoft killed that. Halo needs to go back to the drawing board. I don't think it can survive another fuckup.
I think Halo is showing signs of what I personally have always thought was the problem with modern game design. People don't like and don't actually care about "story". They SAY they do, but 30% of people who play games actually finish them. Most people don't even know what the story of a game IS, all told. As much as people get mad at Nintendo for not heavily featuring "lore" and "timelines" in their games, this is the reason why their games have lasted for several decades and are as resonate with gamers as they ever were.

I think the general response to a Halo 6 announcement would be "I don't remember what was going on with The Master Chief and I don't really care. Does the multiplayer look good?"
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 04:12 AM   #5
Scherge
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
I think Halo is showing signs of what I personally have always thought was the problem with modern game design. People don't like and don't actually care about "story". They SAY they do, but 30% of people who play games actually finish them. Most people don't even know what the story of a game IS, all told. As much as people get mad at Nintendo for not heavily featuring "lore" and "timelines" in their games, this is the reason why their games have lasted for several decades and are as resonate with gamers as they ever were.

I think the general response to a Halo 6 announcement would be "I don't remember what was going on with The Master Chief and I don't really care. Does the multiplayer look good?"
Really? I think it's the other way round: Gamers claim they don't need story to be entertained, but then refuse to buy a game devoid of it. For every "Rocket League", there are two "Undertale"s on Steam.

As someone who is NOT a fan of "Halo" but follows the games industry and announcements, I got the impression that the story in "Halo 5" was simply not epic enough to get people on board. Personally, I lost interest in the franchise when I had to play the Arbiter in "Halo 2". I was simply not invested in this character or his agenda, and "being" him killed the atmosphere for me. It didn't help that we played the game in splitscreen (if I remember correctly), which didn't look all that great on the original Xbox. The final straw for me was "Halo 3: ODST" (which I still finished, I believe). I don't want to fight small battles with somewhat regular soldiers. I want to be the super soldier that wins the war!

Remember the amazing marketing campaign for "Halo 3", with the museum and the diorama? That kind of stuff! Compare that to the ads for Halo 5: Master Chief has gone rogue, and you're in control of a diverse hipster group from internal affairs to bring him in. I'm not interested in playing both sides of a conflict!

In summary, while many owners will play the multiplayer part of any Halo game for a much longer time than the singleplayer campaign, I'm convinced that more (full-price) customers will buy it for the latter, whether they finish it or not. That's what sales numbers reflect*, and that's what most publishers should therefore be most interested in. I say "most", because for Microsoft, Halo is a system seller, so management should be interested in fostering a thriving (multiplayer) community, first and foremost.

*) For example, "Titanfall" and "Evolve" doomed their promising franchises by starting as multiplayer-only games at full price, instead of establishing and developing the lore with solid campaigns.
Old 06-20-2017, 04:50 AM   #6
karaliusbronius
Evil Dead

This would be the only reason for me to get the new Xbox X.
karaliusbronius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:30 AM   #7
Male Chauvinist
Knight

Quote:

Bingo you got it.
Male Chauvinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 10:25 AM   #8
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Bullshit about Halo and people not wanting the story. Legions of people follow the story of Halo and Master Chief. There's a reason why there are half-a-dozen NYT bestselling Halo novels and it's not because people just want the multiplayer.

But MP is the legs for the game. You need to capture the imagination with the lore and the story; to stick the player you need to solid Multiplayer.

Usually the two don't long survive without one another. Go too far down the path of one and you risk unbalancing the other. Great examples are Gears of War and Uncharted for games with great story but fractional populations for multiplayer where the inverse is true of Call of Duty. Even CoD had respectable campaigns while they built what is now the multiplayer standard.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 10:28 AM   #9
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scherge View Post
Really? I think it's the other way round: Gamers claim they don't need story to be entertained, but then refuse to buy a game devoid of it. For every "Rocket League", there are two "Undertale"s on Steam.

As someone who is NOT a fan of "Halo" but follows the games industry and announcements, I got the impression that the story in "Halo 5" was simply not epic enough to get people on board. Personally, I lost interest in the franchise when I had to play the Arbiter in "Halo 2". I was simply not invested in this character or his agenda, and "being" him killed the atmosphere for me. It didn't help that we played the game in splitscreen (if I remember correctly), which didn't look all that great on the original Xbox. The final straw for me was "Halo 3: ODST" (which I still finished, I believe). I don't want to fight small battles with somewhat regular soldiers. I want to be the super soldier that wins the war!

Remember the amazing marketing campaign for "Halo 3", with the museum and the diorama? That kind of stuff! Compare that to the ads for Halo 5: Master Chief has gone rogue, and you're in control of a diverse hipster group from internal affairs to bring him in. I'm not interested in playing both sides of a conflict!

In summary, while many owners will play the multiplayer part of any Halo game for a much longer time than the singleplayer campaign, I'm convinced that more (full-price) customers will buy it for the latter, whether they finish it or not. That's what sales numbers reflect*, and that's what most publishers should therefore be most interested in. I say "most", because for Microsoft, Halo is a system seller, so management should be interested in fostering a thriving (multiplayer) community, first and foremost.

*) For example, "Titanfall" and "Evolve" doomed their promising franchises by starting as multiplayer-only games at full price, instead of establishing and developing the lore with solid campaigns.
I agree 100%

My interest in Halo waned immensely with the introduction of The Arbiter. They thought they were being heady by featuring the war from the covenants side, but really they were being wispy washy about having a point of view. Suddenly the war is a big misunderstanding and I have no loyalties or sympathies because I see how everyone is right and wrong in their own way. It's not more nuanced, it's more pointless.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:31 AM   #10
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
######## about Halo and people not wanting the story. Legions of people follow the story of Halo and Master Chief. There's a reason why there are half-a-dozen NYT bestselling Halo novels and it's not because people just want the multiplayer.

But MP is the legs for the game. You need to capture the imagination with the lore and the story; to stick the player you need to solid Multiplayer.

Usually the two don't long survive without one another. Go too far down the path of one and you risk unbalancing the other. Great examples are Gears of War and Uncharted for games with great story but fractional populations for multiplayer where the inverse is true of Call of Duty. Even CoD had respectable campaigns while they built what is now the multiplayer standard.
The facts speak for themselves. Are there some people out there who want Halo story? Apparently. But fewer and fewer. And the fact remains that 39% of people who play a game actually see a story through to the end. This is what developers report, and on PSN you can see it by trophy totals. Even SHORT games report a small percentage of people actually coming anywhere near finishing.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:05 AM   #11
Wolfgang
Evil Dead

Quote:

I agree 100% with this guy. All of these game studios have the stats to prove that people aren't finishing their games. It is frequently talked about. More people don't finish games then do.

I myself am in the minority on this. I love the Halo books and enjoy the Halo games for the gameplay and story, but I completely recognize that most people don't finish the SP, ignore cut scenes, don't recall past games and certainly most have not read the books.
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 11:14 AM   #12
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
The facts speak for themselves. Are there some people out there who want Halo story? Apparently. But fewer and fewer. And the fact remains that 39% of people who play a game actually see a story through to the end. This is what developers report, and on PSN you can see it by trophy totals. Even SHORT games report a small percentage of people actually coming anywhere near finishing.
The prevailing wisdom for the last 5 or 6 years has been, regardless of what game or genre, people aren't finishing games. Some suggest only 1 of 10 games are finished.

However to say people aren't interested in seeing the lore in Halo progress flies in the face of billions of dollars and millions of views on youtube (and that's just ONE of many) and print sales that say otherwise.

Let's not even get into games based on actual stories like RPGs and most MMOs. I dare you to step into the Starcraft Reddit and tell them story doesn't matter and get out alive.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 11:56 AM   #13
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
I think it would be more accurate to say that many people don't care about Halo's story any more. The fanbase was massive and rabid when it came to the story...but all of that sort of got tied up neatly with Reach and Halo 3.

We finished the fight. Now, there's apparently more fight...and it's just not quite as compelling.

One of the criticisms of the Halo series was that it was heavily narrative-driven...but all of the best storytelling was done outside of the game, through the novels.
Old 06-20-2017, 12:11 PM   #14
Wolfgang
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
One of the criticisms of the Halo series was that it was heavily narrative-driven...but all of the best storytelling was done outside of the game, through the novels.
I agree with that also. I find the books much more interesting then the games. I find the stories in the books more interesting and I think the Halo games do a poor job of telling the story.
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 01:29 AM   #15
Scherge
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
The prevailing wisdom for the last 5 or 6 years has been, regardless of what game or genre, people aren't finishing games. Some suggest only 1 of 10 games are finished.
I believe that's a fairly accurate estimate, and not only because many games are bought in bundles or are "infinite" by definition (most sports games and MOBAs, for example). Games are a luxury good - we buy them because we want them. Once we bought them, we can do whatever we want with them, including not finishing them.

I'd go so far as to say: If this was any different, the games industry couldn't survive, from big publishers down to tiny indie developers. If I had to finish every game I own, even if I only count the ones with Metascores of 80 or higher, I would never be allowed to buy another game, at least not before reaching retirement age.

To get even more off-topic: This is why trophies/achievements are a great concept. They add layers between not playing the game at all, finishing the story, finishing the story on the highest difficulty setting, and "completing" the game 100 percent. For every single game, every single gamer can set his/her goal (or rather: exit point)!

Tags
343 industries, halo 6, microsoft