Valve President Gabe...
Last post by EL CABONG
Today 09:53 AM
24 Replies, 1,776 Views
» Promotion

Old 05-06-2008, 03:54 PM   #81
51|RandoM
Banned

I'd give it somewhere between an 8 and a 9. The experience is really inconsistent. You'll be totally immersed and then something so obviously wrong will happen that the immersion gets tossed right out the window.

There are also some throwbacks, gameplay elements that don't belong in a modern game, at least not if you want to give it a 10. Why on earth is walking/running/sprinting handled the way it is when everybody playing the game on console has an analog stick?

Why does Niko not have a garage/lockup? Seems like every other character in the game has one, but Niko can only have a parking space for one car, a car that you can't actually use during missions unless you want to lose it. Saints Row demonstrated a much better way to handle this, and showed that it opens up a car collecting metagame for those interested.
51|RandoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 04:44 PM   #82
torrefaction
is sailing away

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51|RandoM View Post
I'd give it somewhere between an 8 and a 9. The experience is really inconsistent. You'll be totally immersed and then something so obviously wrong will happen that the immersion gets tossed right out the window.

There are also some throwbacks, gameplay elements that don't belong in a modern game, at least not if you want to give it a 10. Why on earth is walking/running/sprinting handled the way it is when everybody playing the game on console has an analog stick?

Why does Niko not have a garage/lockup? Seems like every other character in the game has one, but Niko can only have a parking space for one car, a car that you can't actually use during missions unless you want to lose it. Saints Row demonstrated a much better way to handle this, and showed that it opens up a car collecting metagame for those interested.
Those are some pretty valid complaints. I think there's an inherent problem with giving a game like GTA a numerical score though. At least it's net code seems pretty damn solid. The same can't be said of Saints Row at launch, and they weren't even close as far as the technical challenge goes.
Mostly Damaged
torrefaction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 04:56 PM   #83
51|RandoM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by torrefaction View Post
I think there's an inherent problem with giving a game like GTA a numerical score though.
I would say there are inherent problems with rating any game on a numerical scale.

The only reason I put a number on it was in the context of all of the 10 scores the game is getting. The game has those "10" moments, but it also has plenty of "6" moments.

I've played many games that are better than GTAIV and they did not get ranked as the best game of all time. Then again, those games didn't have a review process that put up the reviewer in a hotel with a copy of the game until he/she finished it, either.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:11 PM   #84
torrefaction
is sailing away

[QUOTE=51|RandoM;1433790I've played many games that are better than GTAIV and they did not get ranked as the best game of all time. Then again, those games didn't have a review process that put up the reviewer in a hotel with a copy of the game until he/she finished it, either. [/QUOTE]

Well, I think it deserved a 10 (I outlined my thinking on that already), and I didn't get any fancy hotel. That's just not fair.
Mostly Damaged
torrefaction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 07:47 PM   #85
carnage11
Evil Dead

I've had 3 cars disappear from my parking spot. The "garage" in this game blows. I thought for sure they'd fix this but they didn't, if anything they made it worse. That's one thing I hate about this game. Don't even bother trying to save cars, cause they'll eventually just disappear. I had been using the Comet you get from Steve to take out dates, and go out on the town. I always park it when I'm going to do a mission. Well now it's gone, and those cars are pretty hard to find.
GT = carnage1115

Now Playing:
Rock Band 2!!!
Mass Effect -Achievements...gotta catch 'em all!
carnage11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:54 PM   #86
51|RandoM
Banned

Yeah, that bugs me. I've only seen the 959 clone twice and it eventually disappeared from my parking spot both times. Same with the corvette clone.

The way they use your own ride for every other car on the road makes it really hard to find those cars that are in a class of their own. I saw a parking lot full of cars, must have been fifteen of them and when I got close every single one of them was the same BMW clone I was driving, very disappointing.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:57 PM   #87
Darkmatter
Evil Dead

I'm actually starting to wonder if the game detects if your running in HD vs SD and adds more blur filter to compensate for the increase demand on the 360.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongStepMantis View Post
fap
*cries*
fap
"I hate myself!"*cries*
fap

Good times.
Darkmatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 09:04 PM   #88
Banacek
The Α and the Ω

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackZero View Post
Ugh, I'm still trying to get that survive 5 minutes achievement at a 5+ star rating. I'm still on the first island, and I'm trying to do the trick where you cross the underside of the west bridge and go into the tunnel and hang out (where the cops aren't supposed to be able to get to you). But 3 minutes in they always seem to smarten up and come in from every direction on me (most likely because the first one to find me, that I shoot, triggers the rest of them to know my exact location). Any tips?
My friend did it this way: before Manhattan opens up, go north to the docks where you can jump on a fast boat (you can swim out an hijack one). Sail over the locked up island, get 6 stars, then just cruise around the island.

(Sorry, until finals are over I can not play the game, so my knowledge is limited)
Old 05-08-2008, 08:34 PM   #89
carnage11
Evil Dead

You guys missed the video that was up on Live about getting the 6 star achievement. It is too easy. Kinda cheap but hey....

Well so here's what you do, and if you need a better explanation the video shows you exactly where to go. There's a set of stairs on the first island that leads up under neath the bridge that connects the islands. Go up the stairs and drive across the walkway under the bridge. Eventually you'll come to another set of stairs. Pass these stairs there's a place to go which leads to the subway tunnels. You have to kinda jump over to it, and it run along the subway track. Once you get into the tunnel you can just hang out there for ever. The cops will never find you. It's a neat little hiding spot, sometimes there's bums living down there. Pretty cool. Either way, I set myself up there, went made a sandwich, by the time I got back I had gotten the achievement. Easy as pie. (Is pie easy? I dunno. It's easy though.)

edit: I didn't read the quote from TrackZero. I guess you already saw the video. I'm not sure why the cops are finding you. Maybe you're in the wrong spot. In this tunnel there's like a place to hang out. There's graffitti all over the walls and trash cans with fires in them. Almost like the cliche bum dwelling. You'll know when you find it, and the cops will never find you. I stayed down there for a good 10-15 minutes. Once you come out though, all hell breaks loose.
GT = carnage1115

Now Playing:
Rock Band 2!!!
Old 05-09-2008, 03:24 AM   #90
Disgustipated
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkmatter View Post
I'm actually starting to wonder if the game detects if your running in HD vs SD and adds more blur filter to compensate for the increase demand on the 360.
Doesn't work like that. It outputs natively at 720p, and just downscales. So it's going to get a bit blurrier downscaling.
Disgustipated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 03:30 AM   #91
menage
Super Deformed Overlord

Just found out there's 200 pigeons to kill. i was missing those hidden packages. I like to cruise around a lot and now I have a reason for it as well. Damn hard to find though, at least they make some noise, unlike the AC flags (but logic demands Flags wouldn't make noise).

currently playing: Fallout 3/Fable 2
menage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 03:34 AM   #92
Disgustipated
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by menage View Post
Just found out there's 200 pigeons to kill. i was missing those hidden packages. I like to cruise around a lot and now I have a reason for it as well. Damn hard to find though, at least they make some noise, unlike the AC flags (but logic demands Flags wouldn't make noise).
I believe grade school taught me that flags flap in the wind, and can be pretty fucking loud.
Disgustipated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 12:10 PM   #93
carnage11
Evil Dead

Flags also get pretty noisy when you tell them they can't get married.
GT = carnage1115

Now Playing:
Rock Band 2!!!
Old 05-10-2008, 12:16 PM   #94
menage
Super Deformed Overlord

Well they'd better goddamn patch the flags than cause that was probably the one bit of the game that would have kept my interest after a couple of hours.

Flap/

currently playing: Fallout 3/Fable 2
menage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 04:00 PM   #95
Lima Beans
Evil Dead

Would dig it if you guys would include a score with these reviews (or future reviews). Just my opinion but I normally dont like reviews without scores.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:13 PM   #96
Dr.Finger
The Road Back Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lima Beans View Post
Would dig it if you guys would include a score with these reviews (or future reviews). Just my opinion but I normally dont like reviews without scores.
Since none of us had more than about 20% of the game done at the time this went up we felt a numeric score would have been inappropriate. Mostly we realized that while our normal reviews can and do sway some minds, this one almost certainly wouldn't. People were either going to buy it, or they weren't.
Dr.Finger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 07:19 PM   #97
AgtFox
Honored Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lima Beans View Post
All of our reviews except this one has a score. I personally was not a fan of having a score on this game. First problem is there are 12 people on this and I'd hate to add up all the scores and divide by 12 and not get a whole number, then I'd have to decide where to round it to.

The word "Review" does not show up anywhere in the title of the thread, so don't treat this as a review. Treat it more like what our experiences were and how much we liked or disliked what we had played up until then.
AgtFox is offline   Reply With Quote