Last post by PatrickRes9
Yesterday 07:24 PM
16 Replies, 719 Views

Old 07-30-2014, 09:19 PM   #41
PSPfreak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
I agree with you. These people who prefer 30FPS locked cut scenes and 24FPS Hobbit over 48FPS Hobbit, really need to have their brains RETRAINED. It's like taking someone used to a Model T Ford and putting them in a Mustang GT and having to listen to their complaints that the "car is going too fast". Retrain your brain to handle and process all the extra information, its glorious. Real life is 60FPS.
I'm not saying it doesn't look graphically better and flow better. I'm just saying with a lot of games I think it makes it look kind of phony. I'm sure I'll get used to it, but it seemed like more realistic movement in 30FPS. Plus, you have to remember LoU is a pretty gritty-looking game and the setting is such as well. it kind of helped give it it's own identity.

Either way, calling people's preferences, "stupid" is as ignorant as you can get.

And nice post by Shiz for once. It would be awesome if he could be that pleasant more often.
PSPfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:38 PM   #42
Cutter99
Evil Dead

This game deserved more criticism

Okay, I (like some others here) never played the PS3 version - and have only now jumped into (quite possibly) the most highly lauded game of the last few years.

Ten hours in or so, I am somewhat disappointed, and I can't help but feel that the game needed a few more criticisms tossed at it. On some level, this game has a serious 'Michael Bay' streak - where they are hoping you will just go along for the ride and not think very hard about anything.

Some examples: Almost every human enemy is armed with a firearm of some sort, but hardly any of them drop ammunition. This leads to knives ('shivs' in game) being incredibly important - but somehow no actual, real, high-quality knives survived the apocalypse (just guns) - so instead you actually have to craft your own one-time-use disposable stabby sticks from scrounged duct tape and scissors. Apparently 'Clickers' use echolocation to hunt, but nobody told the devs that echolocation doesn't have anything to do with how much noise the target/prey is making. The button mapping conventions established by almost every action game ever gets tossed right out the window, and you get a weirdly unintuitive control scheme that can't be re-bound - (seriously *triangle* to pickup objects? L1 to sprint? yeesh.) And finally, super important tactical information only gets communicated through load screen tips or trial and error (like, sighted zombies don't actually react to your flashlight, but humans do. ruh roh.)
Cutter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:32 PM   #43
Suicidal ShiZuru
Mutual Hatred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutter99 View Post
Okay, I (like some others here) never played the PS3 version - and have only now jumped into (quite possibly) the most highly lauded game of the last few years.

Ten hours in or so, I am somewhat disappointed, and I can't help but feel that the game needed a few more criticisms tossed at it. On some level, this game has a serious 'Michael Bay' streak - where they are hoping you will just go along for the ride and not think very hard about anything.

Some examples: Almost every human enemy is armed with a firearm of some sort, but hardly any of them drop ammunition. This leads to knives ('shivs' in game) being incredibly important - but somehow no actual, real, high-quality knives survived the apocalypse (just guns) - so instead you actually have to craft your own one-time-use disposable stabby sticks from scrounged duct tape and scissors. Apparently 'Clickers' use echolocation to hunt, but nobody told the devs that echolocation doesn't have anything to do with how much noise the target/prey is making. The button mapping conventions established by almost every action game ever gets tossed right out the window, and you get a weirdly unintuitive control scheme that can't be re-bound - (seriously *triangle* to pickup objects? L1 to sprint? yeesh.) And finally, super important tactical information only gets communicated through load screen tips or trial and error (like, sighted zombies don't actually react to your flashlight, but humans do. ruh roh.)
I can agree with all of that. I thought I was screwing up at first when my shiv disappeared until I realized it was just a stupid game mechanic. I almost died the first time I used one to kill a guy. The next person I tried to kill was strangled instead so I was seen and shot at. Later now that I know how the world functions I'm losing interest. Everything is all more shallow that I imagined.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:45 AM   #44
PSPfreak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicidal ShiZuru View Post
I can agree with all of that. I thought I was screwing up at first when my shiv disappeared until I realized it was just a stupid game mechanic. I almost died the first time I used one to kill a guy. The next person I tried to kill was strangled instead so I was seen and shot at. Later now that I know how the world functions I'm losing interest. Everything is all more shallow that I imagined.
I think you have to come to terms with the fact that it's ultimately a stealth game with a little bit of action thrown in here and there before you accept it in the gameplay department. It also stretches its gameplay further the more you go along. But while I feel the gameplay is solid, it's ultimately the story that has to grip you otherwise you probably won't get the most of it.
Old 07-31-2014, 04:09 AM   #45
Suicidal ShiZuru
Mutual Hatred

It's a kind of good story presented extremely well inside of a mediocre game using a genre of game play usually reserved for pointless action so it's easily best of class with this much effort. They latched on to the zombie craze too and the hype train was unstoppable. There are tons of glitches and various annoyances even for being on rails the entire time. It's not a bad game but it's not amazing and I'm disappointed but in ways I expected and not too severely. The MP is a big bag of shit for the most part... What moron thought this control scheme was acceptable.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:17 PM   #46
PSPfreak
Banned

Quote:
It's a kind of good story presented extremely well inside of a mediocre game using a genre of game play usually reserved for pointless action so it's easily best of class with this much effort. They latched on to the zombie craze too and the hype train was unstoppable. There are tons of glitches and various annoyances even for being on rails the entire time. It's not a bad game but it's not amazing and I'm disappointed but in ways I expected and not too severely. The MP is a big bag of shit for the most part... What moron thought this control scheme was acceptable.
I don't agree with the gameplay being mediocre although it is very toned down from the Uncharted games, but again it's more stealth. As far as the glitches, you are correct; I have noticed a few, but I think that's just from the remaster as I didn't notice much of any glitches at all in the PS3 version.
Old 07-31-2014, 04:51 PM   #47
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSPfreak View Post

Either way, calling people's opinion, "stupid" is as ignorant as you can get.

Okay man WE get it you like 30fps and none of us do/prefer a more solid movement overall.

Quote:
Dead Island syndrome vs realism kinda deal.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:38 PM   #48
PSPfreak
Banned

I said "preferences," not, "opinion," Pope. Basically it's the same idea but I wonder why you changed my wording around in the quote, hmm? Misquotes are a big no-no.

And it doesn't matter what you think about 30FPS compared to 60. It's a damn preference. For whatever reason, it's a damn preference. You didn't even quote any of my reasons for that preference, just attacked the statement. Why are you stooping to all these shady tactics? First you physically change the words around that I said, and then you ignore my argument altogether. And hell, maybe one of us prefer thicker girls to skinner, more fit girls. Does that make the former's preference, "stupid?" And who is, "none of us" and how can you speak for everyone? You can't. Seriously, man... just stop it. Please stop making an idiot of yourself.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:46 PM   #49
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

...Ok then?

go here. 60FPS ftw.

Tags
naughty dog, the last of us