Yesterday 10:24 PM
7 Replies, 664 Views

Old 02-21-2018, 05:39 AM   #1
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Bad News: Fake News Game

Via The Guardian
Quote:
Fake news is already an entire industry, an anti-democratic weapon, a movie, a play, an insult and a cliche.

Now it is being turned into a game – to help people understand its wiles and deceptions.

Cambridge researchers have built an online game, simply titled Bad News, in which players compete to become “a disinformation and fake news tycoon”. By shedding light on the shady practices, they hope the game will “vaccinate” the public, and make people immune to the spread of untruths.
BeardedSonOfNel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 06:01 AM   #2
Scherge
Subscriber

Good luck with that.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:49 AM   #3
Vulture
Evil Dead

Fake news is a media ethics issue not a science one.
I trust science , I don't trust scientists, because I used to review grant proposals and they lie and steal like every other human.
Vulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 07:00 AM   #4
GinRummy
Evil Dead

So how are they gonna promote the game? If they tell the truth, will it be believed? If they exaggerate saying it's the best game ever, will people get the sarcasm? Sad.
GinRummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 07:00 AM   #5
Sinistar
Evil Dead

I prefer a nice game of Thoughts & Prayers.

Last edited by Sinistar; 02-21-2018 at 07:48 AM..
Sinistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 07:38 AM   #6
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Fake News:

The New York Times

Presidential Forecast

Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Hillary Clinton has a 91% chance to win →
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 10:55 AM   #7
Dag-Sabot
Evil Dead

They should have a game called "Follow the money" it would explain much of what is going on right now.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:00 PM   #8
blackzc
Evil Dead

Always remember, the fake news meme started with pizzgate, when that dude went to comet pizza with an AR and shot a computer. Fake news made him do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinRummy View Post
So how are they gonna promote the game? If they tell the truth, will it be believed? If they exaggerate saying it's the best game ever, will people get the sarcasm? Sad.
(The truth lies in the middle) is a way of thinking that is exploited to great affect.

If everyone is saying this is the best game ever, it might not be, but surely its worth picking up.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:54 PM   #9
Eats
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emabulator View Post
Fake News:

The New York Times

Presidential Forecast

Is that really an example of fake news, or just a limit of our ability to use statistics to forecast the outcome of an event with so many variables?

I mean when the weather man is wrong it isn't fake news, just the limits of our ability to collect and analyze massive datasets.

Also that was still weeks out from the election so it is impossible to know the outcome if the election had been held on that day.
Eats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 05:47 PM   #10
Paranoia
Evil Dead

The irony of the article written by The Guardian talking about a game about fake news.
Paranoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 06:40 PM   #11
BillyWilliamton
Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulture View Post
I trust science , I don't trust scientists, because I used to review grant proposals and they lie and steal like every other human.
You have no idea how many people I've argued with about this. They think that once you have a degree you become a special being that oozes objectivity.
BillyWilliamton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 06:42 PM   #12
BillyWilliamton
Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emabulator View Post
Fake News:

The New York Times

Presidential Forecast

The best part about this are the people that come out of the woodwork and hand wave it all away as well he still had a 9% chance, so you dont get how probability works. Even though Trump supporters were screaming all year about how the polls were bullshit.
Old 02-22-2018, 01:08 AM   #13
Eats
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyWilliamton View Post
The best part about this are the people that come out of the woodwork and hand wave it all away as well he still had a 9% chance, so you dont get how probability works. Even though Trump supporters were screaming all year about how the polls were bullshit.
What do you mean by that? Like the polls were unable to capture reality for some reason, or they were intentionally fraudulent?

I think a case could be made for the 1st idea, but not really for the 2nd.
Eats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 03:21 AM   #14
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulture View Post
I read a pretty great report a few months ago by a leading scientific researcher who overturned all the science that said that children develop best in two parent, two gendered households. Two seconds of googling her name revealed that she was both a lesbian and a self described lesbian activist. Go figure...
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 03:29 AM   #15
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
I think people like yourself fail to properly account for just how dramatically President Trumps candidacy redefined the “rules” of all known methods of punditry.

Even just the Access Hollywood bus video, for instance, was a moment when EVERYONE would predict his candidacy to be over. Nearly the entire republican establishment divorced themselves from him. Paul Ryan publicly said, essentially, “save yourselves’ to his party, assuming that it would sink their entire battleplan.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/republi...tape-released/

So... yeah. Those numbers showing the likelihood of a Clinton victory were correct. But they weren’t 100%. And astonishingly, we came to find that things we thought mattered... don’t matter to a modern voter.
Old 02-22-2018, 03:36 AM   #16
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzc View Post
Always remember, the fake news meme started with pizzgate, when that dude went to comet pizza with an AR and shot a computer. Fake news made him do it.

(The truth lies in the middle) is a way of thinking that is exploited to great affect.

If everyone is saying this is the best game ever, it might not be, but surely its worth picking up.
You’re right that “the truth lies in the middle” is a commonly held belief. But it’s also a cognitive fallacy.

People think that, if given two extremes, a reasonable choice is to select a medium average between the two. But in reality, that is not a more likely choice to be correct.
Old 02-22-2018, 04:51 PM   #17
BillyWilliamton
Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
I think people like yourself fail to properly account for just how dramatically President Trumps candidacy redefined the “rules” of all known methods of punditry.

Even just the Access Hollywood bus video, for instance, was a moment when EVERYONE would predict his candidacy to be over. Nearly the entire republican establishment divorced themselves from him. Paul Ryan publicly said, essentially, “save yourselves’ to his party, assuming that it would sink their entire battleplan.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/republi...tape-released/

So... yeah. Those numbers showing the likelihood of a Clinton victory were correct. But they weren’t 100%. And astonishingly, we came to find that things we thought mattered... don’t matter to a modern voter.
Good polls account for what matters to the voter though. You build to poll to figure out what the people want. You ask questions like, does x matter to you or influence your choice of y. If you're correct in what you say here then all the pollsters didn't do their due dilligence.
Old 02-22-2018, 04:58 PM   #18
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Good polls account for what matters to the voter though. You build to poll to figure out what the people want. You ask questions like, does x matter to you or influence your choice of y. If you're correct in what you say here then all the pollsters didn't do their due dilligence.
I agree with you. But the question is, do people's stated answers about what matters to them actually match their voting habits?

Try may SAY marital fidelity, honesty, and record matter to them, but when faced with the reality that Candidate Blayogelovitch cheated on his wife, flip flopped on issues and is on video kicking a baby, they may say "fake news", "God has forgiven him and so do we" or " that really doesn't matter to my pocketbook", etc.

I don't know if polling can account for that.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:05 PM   #19
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
I agree with you. But the question is, do people's stated answers about what matters to them actually match their voting habits?

Try may SAY marital fidelity, honesty, and record matter to them, but when faced with the reality that Candidate Blayogelovitch cheated on his wife, flip flopped on issues and is on video kicking a baby, they may say "fake news", "God has forgiven him and so do we" or " that really doesn't matter to my pocketbook", etc.

I don't know if polling can account for that.
Many will say there were at least two bigger problems with the polls beyond the questions:

1) The people being asked weren't representative of the people who voted for Trump, and
2) People were so intimidated and threatened if they identified as a Trump voter they would not identify themselves as a Trump supporter to anyone, especially not to some rando on the phone or in a public place

The stories, both anecdotal and documented, about what happened to people identifying as Trump supporters and their property were horrifying and a chilling example of honest-to-goodness domestic terrorism holding the American democratic process held hostage.

This in and of itself probably goes a long way to explaining why many polls were inaccurate up to the moment the votes were tallied.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fake news, propaganda