Picts - Waiting to...
Last post by vallor
Yesterday 08:07 AM
18,832 Replies, 3,865,709 Views

Old 09-03-2014, 10:34 AM   #1
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead

Sierra Quest for Glory Series Retrospective

Do you want to be a hero? The Quest for Glory series by Sierra was a classic adventure/role-playing series that fans world wide remember fondly. TheBigJB & Metal Jesus (ex-Sierra employees) talks about all five games in the series and which ones are their favorite.

Anybody else remember this Sierra series fondly?
Metal Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:46 AM   #2
Phoenix1985
Subscriber

Somewhat, but I never got past 2. I kept getting OCD from having to choose between the Thief option and Paladin.
Phoenix1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 11:45 AM   #3
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead

For those of you looking to jump into the series, GOG.com has all 5 games in a bundle for $10 or less if they are on sale. A heck of a deal!
Old 09-03-2014, 12:07 PM   #4
paragondk1
Reaper

Definitely check out the excellent and free QFG2 remake here:
http://www.agdinteractive.com/games/qfg2/

My personal favorite is the first. :-)
paragondk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 03:05 PM   #5
mundanematt
Death Knight

This video was great. I have played through HQ1 (I almost refuse to refer to it as QFG for the original ) with EGA graphics, and I really liked the art style.

The only complaint I have about the video is there was no description of the plots of OFG 4/5.

Can you do one on all of the Sierra games? I'm a huge Sierra fan from back in the day.
mundanematt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 03:33 PM   #6
docfate
Evil Dead

"Fond memories"? Pshaw! I played Hero's Quest 1 so many times that I ended up with a score of 496 out of a possible 500 WITHOUT any sort of guide.

That game IS my adolescence. I spent hours typing "throw dagger", "get dagger". I was a god with all my stats maxed out.

Such a great game.
docfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 04:51 PM   #7
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by mundanematt View Post
The only complaint I have about the video is there was no description of the plots of OFG 4/5.
Originally this video was about 22 minutes long, but I cut stuff to keep it flowing and not feel too long. So hard to do as an editor, lemme tell ya!
Old 09-03-2014, 04:52 PM   #8
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by mundanematt View Post
Can you do one on all of the Sierra games? I'm a huge Sierra fan from back in the day.

I think we will eventually get around to all the big Sierra franchises that we loved so much while working there. So glad you enjoyed them!
Old 09-03-2014, 06:13 PM   #9
Chief Smash
Subscriber

There's something about those old adventure games and their VGA graphics. Even today they still impress me. I recently played through Legend of Kyrandia and loved the music and graphics. I never got around to playing the Quest for Glory games but I might just jump into one or two after this retrospective.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:00 PM   #10
Methos
Savior of Boleteria

My family grew up with all of the classic Sierra series, and everyone had their favorite. My father loved Leisure Suit Larry and Police Quest, my mother's choice was Colonel's BeQuest and King's Quest. Everybody was into the hapless hero/janitor of Space Quest. We played all these games together. The kids took over the dexterity parts of the gameplay, while the parents helped with the puzzle elements. Our family room was always the newest PC surrounded by chairs and graph paper for making maps. When we finished a game, we sold it at a local HAMfest flea market in pristine boxed condition with an hand-written hint-book and map, then bought the newest Sierra title at the local Egghead Software. We always sold out all our games within an hour.

The Quest for Glory series was always the most popular. The ability to import your character from one game to the next was brilliant.
My original character was a Mage, turned into a Paladin in 2 and picked up the sword. I would pick Wages of War for my favorite. I did finish 5, but only to pick my true-love bride (Erana!).

Thanks for posting this
Methos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:24 PM   #11
Chief Smash
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos View Post
My family grew up with all of the classic Sierra series, and everyone had their favorite. My father loved Leisure Suit Larry and Police Quest, my mother's choice was Colonel's BeQuest and King's Quest. Everybody was into the hapless hero/janitor of Space Quest. We played all these games together. The kids took over the dexterity parts of the gameplay, while the parents helped with the puzzle elements. Our family room was always the newest PC surrounded by chairs and graph paper for making maps. When we finished a game, we sold it at a local HAMfest flea market in pristine boxed condition with an hand-written hint-book and map, then bought the newest Sierra title at the local Egghead Software. We always sold out all our games within an hour.

The Quest for Glory series was always the most popular. The ability to import your character from one game to the next was brilliant.
My original character was a Mage, turned into a Paladin in 2 and picked up the sword. I would pick Wages of War for my favorite. I did finish 5, but only to pick my true-love bride (Erana!).

Thanks for posting this
Wow... Sounds like you group in an awesome household. That sounds like great family time to me.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:14 PM   #12
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
There's something about those old adventure games and their VGA graphics. Even today they still impress me. I recently played through Legend of Kyrandia and loved the music and graphics. I never got around to playing the Quest for Glory games but I might just jump into one or two after this retrospective.
I think there's a legitimate reason for this. I think VGA graphics, with their high resolution for the time but still pixilated appearance, was the digital equivalent of brush strokes. By the time VGA graphics came around, there wasn't really anything that developers couldn't render on the screen as they wanted, but the pixilation still required the player to use their imagination to "See" what the image was supposed to be. Most painters work in the same way. It's why paintings can feel as though they have life in them, and why there are so many old stories devoted to people stepping into paintings. Photorealistic paintings, while interesting from a technical standpoint, rarely elicit the same response from viewers.

Playing the new Shadowgate, on PC, I appreciated how they painted the game with a very loose brush stroke. Some things are even half rendered. It allows the imagination to step in, in a way that most modern games do not allow for.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 01:51 AM   #13
josurprise
Squire

Easily my favorite series of all time.

Cool story bro:

Hero's Quest was the game I learned to read from. I used to beg my older brother to play the game, but he was more interested in Earl Weaver's Baseball Extravaganza or whatever it was called... So I took it upon myself to learn how to read just so I could play this game. After that I started acing my vocabulary tests. Teachers kept asking how I knew this stuff and I'd tell them it was because of video games. (This was apparently before they rotted your brains. They always looked skeptical.) Less impressively, I started a fake account on the Sierra Network to try and pose as an older person so I could ask Corey Cole about the then-upcoming QFG3 because I figured he wouldn't want to talk to some little kid. I thought pretending to like romance novels was a good cover because of course that's what a big manly adult would be into. In the end, he was really nice and answered many questions about the series when, I can only assume, he thought he was talking to some sort of creepy man-child. Really, a stand up guy. Thanks for covering this amazing series!
josurprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 11:22 PM   #14
Marticus
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by docfate View Post
"Fond memories"? Pshaw! I played Hero's Quest 1 so many times that I ended up with a score of 496 out of a possible 500 WITHOUT any sort of guide.

That game IS my adolescence. I spent hours typing "throw dagger", "get dagger". I was a god with all my stats maxed out.

Such a great game.
I put many weekends into QFG I,III & IV Never owned the other 2 and I don't intend to. Still one of my top 5 games of all time is QFG1.

Also, thank you dearly for making a video about a game so dear to my heart. "Don't ever drink the Dragon's breath."
Marticus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventure, metal jesus, ms-dos, quest for glory, sierra