Yesterday 07:17 PM
9 Replies, 259 Views

Old 11-03-2017, 03:31 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

World of WarCraft Will Soon Have Level-Scaling For All of Azeroth

PC Gamer has the story.

Quote:
If you've tried leveling through World of Warcraft recently, you know how imperfect it is. You'll quickly outscale zones, and others you'll leave untouched entirely thanks to more rapid experience point gains. But in the upcoming 7.3.5 patch, Blizzard will be taking a version of Legion's level scaling and applying it to all of Azeroth and Warcraft's previous expansions.

During the World of Warcraft panel at Blizzcon 2017, game director Ion Hazzikostas took the stage to lay out plans for the next expansion, Battle for Azeroth. But these world-wide level scaling will be coming to the Public Test Realm servers in just a few weeks and then officially launch shortly after that.

"The point is player choice, the point is having the experience you want to have while leveling through WoW," Hazzikostas said.

It's important to note that this system doesn't work exactly the same way as it does in Legion, where every zone and monster scales to your level. Instead, each zone will have a minimum and maximum cap of about 20 levels. This will make low-level zones still feel appropriately low level, and high-level zones intimidating.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 12:33 PM   #2
brandonjclark
Evil Dead

I like having no level scaling. And how the hell are they going to do this with people of massively different levels so often hanging around together?

If you get in on a high level kill as a low level player, do you get a portion of the XP?
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 10:40 PM   #3
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post
I like having no level scaling. And how the hell are they going to do this with people of massively different levels so often hanging around together?

If you get in on a high level kill as a low level player, do you get a portion of the XP?
It actually works well, they already do this in dungeons where they pair up lower levels with higher levels. I don't know exactly how they do it but heals and HP of the mobs scale individually for each player in the group depending on the level.

As for zone scaling I don't like this. It means you won't be able to go back and smash lower level zones any more. That's half of what a lot of people do is login and go farm something, an achievement, title, mount, or pet they missed in some past zone because they couldn't raid or whatever.

Scaling screws that up and will make a lot of this effort meaningless probably for two expansions. It will probably be a netloss of players who otherwise find a lot of enjoyment digging out these old achievements and stuff at a leisurely and no hassle pace.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 11:31 PM   #4
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
As for zone scaling I don't like this. It means you won't be able to go back and smash lower level zones any more.
Agreed. I think it will be a net loss of folks as well. It's a lot of fun to stomp around an old zone, farming for a mount or what have you on the quick and repeatedly. This seems to kill that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 01:34 AM   #5
Phoenix1985
Subscriber

I think it should just be a tickable option to be honest. Sometimes you just want to smash low level stuff, you know?
Phoenix1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 07:15 PM   #6
EmoryM
Lord

Cancer

I miss the concept of shared virtual worlds, this is just another step away from that and towards complete arbitrary nonsense. Will they even try to justify it with lore?
EmoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 12:55 AM   #7
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post

I can see both sides.

I think RPGs should have no scaling as a general rule. I think it creates good gameplay sitautions when you have to prepare to go through certain areas, or when you know you have to escape from a place you shouldn't be.

But I understand how WOW has pretty big designproblems at this point this is potentially the easiest answer to fix them.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 02:43 AM   #8
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

After more information was released it looks like the scaling will still max out at some point. A newbie zone will accommodate level 1 to maybe 30 but it should be trivial after that.

Which means the current Legion zones will probably scale from 90 to 130, assuming they do the +/- 20 levels thing, and the new expansion will will be 100 to 140. This isn't QUITE as bad as I thought but it's still a pain.

It means people who want to get Legion mounts and stuff will need to wait for 5 years before they can while away the time soloing the content at their own pace. On the other hand it means characters will be able to skip the shit hell cancer expansions that are Cataclysm and Draenor almost entirely. Level up in Northrend then jump right to Legion.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blizzard, world of warcraft, wow