Today 06:54 AM
0 Replies, 75 Views

Old 06-26-2017, 01:33 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Marvel Boss Says MCU Phase 4 Will Start With Spider-Man: Homecoming 2

GameSpot has the story.

Quote:
It has been known for some time that the current third phase of the Marvel Cinematic Universe will end after Avengers 4 in 2019. Now Marvel boss Kevin Feige has confirmed that the Spider-Man: Homecoming sequel will kick off Phase 4.

In an interview with Slashfilm, Feige explained that the dramatic events of Avengers: Infinity War and the currently untitled fourth Avengers movie will lead directly into the Homecoming sequel.

"So much happens in [the third and fouth Avengers movies], as you can imagine, and so much is affected by it, that we felt what better person to hold your hand and lead you into the next incarnation of the MCU, in a grounded, realistic manner, than Peter Parker?" he said. "So, coming out two months after Untitled Avengers, [that's what] much of what the next Spider-Man film will be about."

Avengers 4 is currently scheduled for a May 3, 2019 release, with Homecoming 2 due on July 5 of the same year. Feige went to to state that while work on the latter's script has yet to begin, the story basics were already in place. "Much like, as we went into Homecoming, we knew all the general pillars, you then need the magic of the writers and directors to bring it all to life," he said.

ôSo we're in that same position and we'll actually start putting pen to paper on the next Spider-Man film in the coming weeks once this film is finally released. But we do know the specifics and the timeline."

In a separate interview with JoBlo, Feige confirmed that not every hero will survive the next two Avengers movies. This isn't the first time that the Marvel boss has hinted that big changes are in store for the MCU.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 01:59 PM   #2
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

At this point, I wonder who is going to survive through the end of Avengers 4? As much as I like Chris Evans as Captain America, I'm kinda hoping we'll see Bucky take over.

It's crazy, looking back nearly 10 years ago when all of this was just starting. It's changed a lot since 2008.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:45 PM   #3
Terran
Evil Dead

I wonder if the comic movie crazy train has another ten years before it's spent and audiences drift away. I'm already getting seriously bored of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 03:01 PM   #4
LostToys
Evil Dead

I am bored of the MCU, and in general, films that are designed to be more than one film from the beginning. I really hate the open plot, the interlapping film universes, and the general lack of creativity allowed from individual films. The overall trend on things needing to be larger universe (see Universal's Dark Universe as an example of unnecessary universe building) is really turning me off going to the cinema.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 06:09 PM   #5
MadMurdock_0311
Evil Dead

I share your sentiments; I'm growing very bored with the MCU. They're too cookie-cutter at this point, and don't really offer anything new and interesting (aside from Guardians of the Galaxy).
MadMurdock_0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 06:09 PM   #6
MusicToEat
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostToys View Post
I am bored of the MCU, and in general, films that are designed to be more than one film from the beginning. I really hate the open plot, the interlapping film universes, and the general lack of creativity allowed from individual films. The overall trend on things needing to be larger universe (see Universal's Dark Universe as an example of unnecessary universe building) is really turning me off going to the cinema.
I have the complete opposite view on it. I love the overlapping stories. It makes it feel like a real living breathing universe instead of just a bunch of sterile stand alone movies that take place in the same place but never touch. One of the best parts of comic books are the huge story arcs they can have. The evolution of characters that just wouldn't happen in a series of stand alone stories.
MusicToEat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 12:42 AM   #7
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMurdock_0311 View Post
I share your sentiments; I'm growing very bored with the MCU. They're too cookie-cutter at this point, and don't really offer anything new and interesting (aside from Guardians of the Galaxy).
And let's be fair, there was very very very little creativity in Guardians of the Galaxy 2. They gave us more of characters we loved from the first one and some good one-liners to go with those characters, but if you stop to take a look at it the plot was boring, predictable and trite with virtually zero twists and turns.

Was there anyone who didn't know that Ego was the bad guy from the beginning? From the very second he said that his plant would cover the whole world was there anyone in the theater who didn't know that he literally meant "cover the whole world"???

They did nothing original at all. Lots of great funny bits, some halfway decent music (though Ego's Tarantino-speech about Brady was just awkward and painful, it hurts just thinking about how bad it was) and some characters we liked, but nothing original at all.

It shouldn't come as any surprise that The Belko Experiment, a complete and total rip-off of Battle Royale, was written by the same director. A guy who also wrote pretty much a note-for-note remake of Dawn of the Dead.
Old 06-27-2017, 01:16 AM   #8
LostToys
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicToEat View Post
I have the complete opposite view on it. I love the overlapping stories. It makes it feel like a real living breathing universe instead of just a bunch of sterile stand alone movies that take place in the same place but never touch. One of the best parts of comic books are the huge story arcs they can have. The evolution of characters that just wouldn't happen in a series of stand alone stories.
The problem is the films are no longer allowed to breath on their own because they have to worry about the plot form previous and future titles in the MCU. Like the fight in Ant Man against Falcon or having to make up excuses as to why the other Avengers are not around to help out with "x".

I think it works well in comics because you are encouraged to reread panels, stop and appreciate the artwork or other implications of each panel, but it comes at the expense of pacing and identify.
Old 06-27-2017, 04:21 AM   #9
excalibur1814
Evil Dead

I love the films, I truly do, but some of the comedy just isn't placed where it should be. When Iron Man was fighting the Hulk he slapped in a few funny one-liners which, being honest, just seemed stupid as the Hulk could literally rip him apart at any second. When things need to be serious KEEP them serious.

I also had zero fear factor from Ultron. None. Nadda. That shouldn't be the case.
excalibur1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 08:54 AM   #10
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
The problem is the films are no longer allowed to breath on their own because they have to worry about the plot form previous and future titles in the MCU. Like the fight in Ant Man against Falcon or having to make up excuses as to why the other Avengers are not around to help out with "x".
Outside of the recognition and the nickname "Tic-Tac", the encounter between Falcon and Ant-Man in Ant-Man wasn't really a factor at all in Civil War; if you had skipped Ant-Man, you would have only been in the dark in regards to how they knew each other. While you'd have a greater appreciation of Ant-Man in Civil War if you had seen the standalone movie, it wasn't necessary to appreciate the film as a whole.

Much like in the comics, they don't always have to explain why certain characters are absent; they didn't bother bringing up why most of the Avengers weren't around in Winter Soldier, for example. Sure, it was justifiable in that Cap was on the run and didn't trust anyone...but it was never explicitly addressed in the narrative at all.

I just think it's funny that people are complaining about feeling the need to watch all of the movies to have a firm grasp of what is going on in the interconnected film series. This is what people wanted out of superhero movies for the longest time; now that it's here and we have it, people don't want to be bothered.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:43 AM   #11
LostToys
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
Outside of the recognition and the nickname "Tic-Tac", the encounter between Falcon and Ant-Man in Ant-Man wasn't really a factor at all in Civil War; if you had skipped Ant-Man, you would have only been in the dark in regards to how they knew each other.
And that is my point. It was unnecessary for Ant-Man to even engage anyone from the Avengers in his stand alone film, but because the MCU is a large tied-together universe, the movie audience is expecting cameos and tie-ins with other films. So Ant-Man did not need Falcon, or the Avengers at all, in his stand-alone film.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:47 AM   #12
LostToys
Evil Dead

Quote:
I just think it's funny that people are complaining about feeling the need to watch all of the movies to have a firm grasp of what is going on in the interconnected film series. This is what people wanted out of superhero movies for the longest time; now that it's here and we have it, people don't want to be bothered.
And I am complaining from the artists perspective, not the audience. The audience may miss a thing here and there, but the artists are being restricted on what they are allowed to show their characters doing because there is a 10 year plan for the franchise, and you need to make sure that all the little cogs are doing what they are supposed to. It is just creative suicide for anyone that wants to do anything different.
Old 06-27-2017, 11:14 AM   #13
VenomUSMC
Evil Dead

Quote:
And I am complaining from the artists perspective, not the audience. The audience may miss a thing here and there, but the artists are being restricted on what they are allowed to show their characters doing because there is a 10 year plan for the franchise, and you need to make sure that all the little cogs are doing what they are supposed to. It is just creative suicide for anyone that wants to do anything different.
While I see your point, I'd rather have a connected universe that seems to be fairly well supervised than more Spider-Man 3 type examples of artistic expression.
VenomUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 12:11 PM   #14
Terran
Evil Dead

What's wrong with Spider Man 3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 01:35 PM   #15
LostToys
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomUSMC View Post
While I see your point, I'd rather have a connected universe that seems to be fairly well supervised than more Spider-Man 3 type examples of artistic expression.
There is a difference between curating a universe and making it cohesive, and forcing elements of the universe to always be present. Do we need to have every Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman movie going forward require random cameos by other heroes or name drops because they are are in a shared universe? Was Batman and Batman Returns, or most of Batman: The Animated Series, bad because no one talked about Superman?

Spider-Man was bad because Sony has continued to allowed bad people to handle the property. This is particularly true for the first three movies. They were B-Movie at best.
Old 06-27-2017, 01:53 PM   #16
VenomUSMC
Evil Dead

Quote:
There is a difference between curating a universe and making it cohesive, and forcing elements of the universe to always be present. Do we need to have every Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman movie going forward require random cameos by other heroes or name drops because they are are in a shared universe? Was Batman and Batman Returns, or most of Batman: The Animated Series, bad because no one talked about Superman?

Spider-Man was bad because Sony has continued to allowed bad people to handle the property. This is particularly true for the first three movies. They were B-Movie at best.
In my opinion it doesn't make movies bad to not have a unified universe, but I feel it does make the movies better. It's subjective, surely. The unified worlds make me feel like the stories are better. They need to figure out creative ways to explain why some characters don't get involved in certain circumstances and I think give creators a lot more options in the grand scheme of things.

I'm not arguing that we need this, but I do feel that it makes it better.
Old 06-27-2017, 02:29 PM   #17
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
It's hard to argue from the artist's perspective because everyone involved should know what the deal is, what the constraints are and precisely what it is they're able to do and/or not do.

Those who weren't willing to really play ball - such as Edgar Wright or Ed Norton - are no longer involved.

You don't sign up for something like this if your primary concern is pure, unmitigated artistic expression. Hell, signing up to write/direct any superhero movie - even 15+ years ago - with those sorts of expectations was essentially a sign that the film was going to be a complete failure in terms of translating a character to the big screen.

Quote:
Here's the thing: Elements of the universe aren't always forced to be present and when they do crop up, they're typically not invasive or overbearing. Winter Soldier was all but devoid of any other major MCU characters, save for Black Widow (and her presence made complete sense, given the story). Ant-Man featured a cameo from Falcon, but was otherwise wholly standalone and didn't really feature anything other than a reference to the events in Age of Ultron. Doctor Strange really didn't incorporate anything from the MCU, outside of the presence of an Infinity Stone (which wasn't even mentioned until the very end; everything would have worked exactly the same if the Eye of Agamotto was "just" a magical artifact) and the brief cameo from Thor in a post-credit scene.

The standalone movies do a pretty good job of standing on their own; they contain just enough references or allusions to the greater MCU to help maintain the general sense of cohesiveness...but, you could easily get away with skipping many of them without losing much from the greater overall narrative.
Old 06-27-2017, 03:42 PM   #18
LostToys
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomUSMC View Post
In my opinion it doesn't make movies bad to not have a unified universe, but I feel it does make the movies better. It's subjective, surely. The unified worlds make me feel like the stories are better.
I'm sorry if it sounds like I mean that all unified universes are bad, I think I am just getting fatigued at the frequency of which these unified universes are being released. It used to be that you got one movie a year within the universe, but looking at the Marvel schedule, you are getting two or three a year. The lack of breaks kills anticipation or fondness.

Now that I think about it, the problem really comes down to the films not really "earning" their place. They were designed to always be in the spot they were slotted for and the audience was always expected to appreciate them, regardless of the end product. It exists because it has to exist, not necessarily because the audience willed it to exist.
Old 06-27-2017, 03:49 PM   #19
LostToys
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
You don't sign up for something like this if your primary concern is pure, unmitigated artistic expression.
I'm not really looking for drastic differences in the films, but if I can put in any Marvel film and can't identify exactly which film it is within 5 seconds, then we have a problem. Films, unless directed by the same person, be distinguishable from one another, and we are starting to see less and less of that now that the Russo Brothers have pretty much set the standard of what the MCU should look and sound like. Don't get me wrong, the MCU is highly watchable - I've seen every film so far - but that does not mean I am not bored with the aesthetics or story telling overall. There is nothing surprising in their films anymore. It is straight "comfort food".
Old 06-27-2017, 04:00 PM   #20
VenomUSMC
Evil Dead

Quote:
I'm sorry if it sounds like I mean that all unified universes are bad, I think I am just getting fatigued at the frequency of which these unified universes are being released. It used to be that you got one movie a year within the universe, but looking at the Marvel schedule, you are getting two or three a year. The lack of breaks kills anticipation or fondness.

Now that I think about it, the problem really comes down to the films not really "earning" their place. They were designed to always be in the spot they were slotted for and the audience was always expected to appreciate them, regardless of the end product. It exists because it has to exist, not necessarily because the audience willed it to exist.
Oh, I didn't think you were saying they're all bad. It's they're my personal preference. I understand why you'd want a story not to be tied into a unified universe for the purpose of not being locked into certain choices and all that. However, I also think picking a well-known character would be a poor start to someone looking to really try largely different take because it seems there is generally a certain expectation that those characters are bound by certain aspects that often get the movie hammered for straying from.

Tags
marvel, spider-man