Evil Avatar  



Go Back   Evil Avatar > Daily Gaming News > News Items

» Sponsored Links


» Recent Threads
Marvel's Stan Lee Series...
Last post by Booda
Today 12:04 PM
20 Replies, 730 Views
The Grinch Unwraps a Big...
Last post by Sammael
Today 11:07 AM
2 Replies, 260 Views
Activision says that...
Last post by SpectralThundr
Today 10:38 AM
30 Replies, 1,932 Views
New Alita Battle Angel...
Last post by Exodus
Today 10:34 AM
8 Replies, 312 Views
Microsoft Acquires...
Last post by Chimpbot
Today 10:02 AM
14 Replies, 591 Views
Spider-Man gets a new...
Last post by Chimpbot
Today 09:51 AM
4 Replies, 189 Views
Pokemon Detective...
Last post by AlfredT
Today 08:58 AM
2 Replies, 367 Views
Strategy Shooter Void...
Last post by gunbust3r
Today 08:29 AM
4 Replies, 456 Views
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2018, 09:14 AM   #21
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist
 
Chimpbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Third Planet of the Black Hole
Posts: 8,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacerDawn View Post
Let's talk Time Stone: When Vision's stone was destroyed, Thanos used the time stone but it ONLY impacted Vision and nothing else. Thanos didn't revert to where he was before. Wanda didn't revert to shooting at the stone. Vision just came back to life and that was it. So fine, lets assume the effect of the time stone is target-able. Earlier they almost got Thanos's glove off while Strange still had the time stone. Why couldn't he use it to reverse time on just Thanos and get the glove? Reverse time and stop Quill from being a dick? That crap of "I've seen millions of results and only seen one we win" is a cheap plot device to try and sweep away fallacies like this. And that was the ONLY reason that "prediction" scene was in the movie, so we wouldn't question what happened. I personally don't like it.
The effects of the Time Stone are targetable; we saw this in Doctor Strange, when he undid and redid the eating of only a single apple.

Quote:
Also: Doctor Strange: "We are on a ship headed for space! Tony can you fly it? No? What do will we ever do! If only I could reverse time to put us back on Earth, or open a portal back to earth or something!"

As for the Reality stone:He uses that to instantly take out people and make weapons useless. He could have won the movie with that stone alone. Instead, he uses it sparingly.

And I feel that it is complete incorrect that he didn't use them because he liked to fight. They only said that about the Hulk at the very beginning. People are reading that into the rest to explain why he didn't just use the gauntlet to win every battle. He even complained that he was tired and wanted them as soon as possible so he could rest, which was the very last scene. And if he didn't like using the glove because he liked to fight, why bother with the glove anyway? He was already decimating populations with just his army.



Fine, he used the glove, he just didn't use it right. Because, you don't need energy blasts or moons when you can make everyone around you simply fall to pieces.
At some point, the concession that there wouldn't be much of a movie if the reality-bending villain utilized the full extent of their abilities has to be made.
__________________
EvAv's Senior Godzillaologist
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:36 AM   #22
PacerDawn
Choadwanger
 
PacerDawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
The effects of the Time Stone are targetable; we saw this in Doctor Strange, when he undid and redid the eating of only a single apple.
Fine, but my second point still stands and the fact that Strange knew how to do it makes it even more egregious. They used a cheesy plot device to get around it in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
At some point, the concession that there wouldn't be much of a movie if the reality-bending villain utilized the full extent of their abilities has to be made.
"What else could they do?" doesn't make it less of a plot hole. I mean, hell, in that battle they even did tactics to immobilize the gauntlet so he couldn't use it. That only served to emphasis the issue. Sometimes they try and explain it, and sometimes they just let it happen and let the audience do their own explaining. I get it, some people don't mind it but some people it grates on. I usually let a lot of stuff go (like the transporters in Star Trek), but sometimes I get snagged on one or two and in this case that happened.

But besides that, I still thought it was a really good movie.
__________________
The last time someone slipped viagra in my drink, I found out the hard way.
PacerDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:51 AM   #23
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist
 
Chimpbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Third Planet of the Black Hole
Posts: 8,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacerDawn View Post
Fine, but my second point still stands and the fact that Strange knew how to do it makes it even more egregious. They used a cheesy plot device to get around it in my opinion.
You might not like the plot device of, "I've seen the only outcome in which we win"...but, he saw the course of action that will help lead them to a victory and - for whatever reason - apparently keeping Stark alive is key.

Quote:
"What else could they do?" doesn't make it less of a plot hole. I mean, hell, in that battle they even did tactics to immobilize the gauntlet so he couldn't use it. That only served to emphasis the issue. Sometimes they try and explain it, and sometimes they just let it happen and let the audience do their own explaining. I get it, some people don't mind it but some people it grates on. I usually let a lot of stuff go (like the transporters in Star Trek), but sometimes I get snagged on one or two and in this case that happened.
We've never really been in a situation where an Infinity Stone could be used against another stone, at least in the MCU. During his viewing of 14+ million outcomes, Strange very well could have seen that the effects of the other stones could fuck with the effects of any other stone. Sure, Strange could have used the Time Stone...but there's a very real possibility that the Time Stone may not have worked as intended when, say, the Reality Stone was being used to counteract it.

In fact, the only other time we even saw anything remotely close was during the first Avengers film, when the Mind Stone (via Loki's scepter) was used to close the portal opened by the Space Stone. It's very likely that the stones can fuck with each other, meaning the Time Stone could have possibly been rendered all but moot.

Could they have explained this during his brief exposition? Sure, I suppose.

We still have the second half of the story awaiting us next summer, too. They filmed 'em back to back, so they're pretty intertwined.
__________________
EvAv's Senior Godzillaologist
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 12:11 PM   #24
excalibur1814
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: U.K
Posts: 880
Blog Entries: 1
Gosh darn it.

Thanos has never had the glove before, or the stones, so it's all a bit new to him. In the scenes that you DIDN'T see he was busy practising what the glove could do. He had to be careful as that type of power is beyond dangerous.

This is called Science-FICTION for a reason. It's not Dances with Wolves.
excalibur1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 12:12 PM   #25
VenomUSMC
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
He didn't realize the cost for the Soul Stone until the moment he was trying to get it. For him, it was all fun and games...until that moment.
Yes, it was clear he didn't realize the cost until the Red Skull explained it to him. However, it seems that Thanos was always willing to make such a sacrifice, as his mission always came first. I actually though that was a good scene, with Gamora basically laughing in his face, thinking Thanos had thwarted himself, but then realizing both that he hadn't and that he actually did love her. Even without that scene, I don't agree that it was all fun and games for him before that. Thanos believed it was essentially him versus the universe, as he explicitly stated that he was alone in his quest. In fact, I think that's why Strange couldn't do to Thanos what he did to Dormammu -- Thanos was so incredibly dedicated on his mission that he would simply never stop, being that he took this so serious that he'd be willing to relive the same moment over and over and over, as that would also, in effect, save the universe from ending. During the final battle with Iron Man and the rest, Thanos mentions that he'll finally be able to rest after he's done wiping out half the universe. At the end, Thanos seems to have adopted a far more simple life than at the start. I think if anything, the argument should be between Thanos enjoying the defeat and killing versus being insanely dedicated to his mission, not the idea of it ever being all fun and games at any point for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
Yeah, but he DOESN'T like killing. That was one of the points of the story. He's a hero, in his mind. He's doing all of this, after all, so that people won't have to suffer and struggle. The fact that he doesn't like killing is largely why he left Thor alive on the ship at the beginning of the film.
I disagree, I think he does. As for leaving Thor alive, it seemed that he intended to kill him by destroying the ship completely. The other option seems that he was intent on leaving half of a population alive. This really seems quite arbitrary, as the Asgardians had already been decimated prior to Infinity War. Thor, if I recall correctly, said Thanos showed up and killed half his people. So, it seems that if you have a population of (for just the purpose of this scenario) 4 people on Earth as opposed to the billions there are, Thanos would have killed 2 of those people. Regardless, it seemed that Loki and Thor were the last two gods, and perhaps one simply was supposed to survive if the blast wasn't intended to kill Thor, which I think it was.

Also, why was Stormhammer apparently powerful enough to overpower the gauntlet with all the gems?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post
Many cultures of the world marry girls off after their first menses, around 13 years old. I can't say that's inherently immoral, no.
VenomUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 12:40 PM   #26
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist
 
Chimpbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Third Planet of the Black Hole
Posts: 8,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomUSMC View Post
Also, why was Stormhammer apparently powerful enough to overpower the gauntlet with all the gems?
To answer that...

Stormbreaker was made out of Uru, the same material used to forge the Infinity Gauntlet. It was designed to be a "god-killer" and was supposed to be the most powerful weapon ever made by - or for - the Asgardians.

So, there ya go.
__________________
EvAv's Senior Godzillaologist
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 01:29 PM   #27
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 7,189
SPOILER! I need to watch it again but I'm pretty sure Thanos snapped his gauntleted finger to do the final deed. How did Thanos snap his finger while it was encased in a full wrap around glove?
vallor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 02:24 PM   #28
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist
 
Chimpbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Third Planet of the Black Hole
Posts: 8,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
SPOILER! I need to watch it again but I'm pretty sure Thanos snapped his gauntleted finger to do the final deed. How did Thanos snap his finger while it was encased in a full wrap around glove?
Clearly, he used the reality stone to enable the snapping to occur. Duh.
__________________
EvAv's Senior Godzillaologist
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 05:07 PM   #29
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game
 
Evil Avatar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 33,168
Blog Entries: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
You might not like the plot device of, "I've seen the only outcome in which we win"...but, he saw the course of action that will help lead them to a victory and - for whatever reason - apparently keeping Stark alive is key.
No, the outcome where they win is the one where he gives Thanos the stone and lets Thanos kill half the Marvel universe. Strange has seen what will happen AFTER Thanos wins and knows that was the only option.
__________________
I'm bad, and that's good. I will never be good, and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be than me.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 05:10 PM   #30
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game
 
Evil Avatar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 33,168
Blog Entries: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
At some point, the concession that there wouldn't be much of a movie if the reality-bending villain utilized the full extent of their abilities has to be made.
Yea, that is the big Hollywood problem with showing us what these characters can do, then never having them do it again. It's true in pretty much every super hero and Sci Fi movie ever made.
__________________
I'm bad, and that's good. I will never be good, and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be than me.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 12:08 AM   #31
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 8,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
SPOILER! I need to watch it again but I'm pretty sure Thanos snapped his gauntleted finger to do the final deed. How did Thanos snap his finger while it was encased in a full wrap around glove?
A wizard did it.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
weekend boxoffice chart

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:07 PM.