Yesterday 11:26 PM
19 Replies, 1,378 Views

Old 01-31-2019, 09:50 AM   #1
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Not A Bad Year For Xbox

Via Gamespot
Quote:
According to the company, gaming revenue increased by 8%, at a total of $4.23 billion. Xbox software and services revenue increased by the most at 31%, thanks to the strength of third-parties. Xbox Live monthly active users are also up 8%, totaling 64 million. That figure includes Gold and Silver members, as well as users on Windows 10 and smartphones.

Hardware didn't fare quite so well. It was down 19%, which Microsoft credits largely to the year-over-year comparison putting it against the launch of the Xbox One X in 2017. Overall, company revenue was up 12% for a total of $32.5 billion.

Microsoft's Xbox division has been making big moves as it prepares for the future. It has plans to expand Game Pass to PC, and has acquired a long list of studios to produce more first-party content. Those include Ninja Theory, Undead Labs, Playground Games, Compulsion Games, and most recently, Obsidian and InXile. It has also announced a game-streaming service that will begin rolling out in beta this year, and it's at work on the multiple new Xbox consoles.
BeardedSonOfNel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 10:12 AM   #2
Juan
Evil Dead

I believe XBox is moribund
Juan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 10:34 AM   #3
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan View Post
Oh, I don't know. I think they stumbled like Sony did with the launch of the PS3, but are righting the ship.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:03 AM   #4
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Great word. Imma steal it.

I think so to. The thing is with Xbox is, as long as MS wants to keep it afloat it will stay afloat. They can keep this going for 50 years if they want.

The Switch is catching up and will blow by xbone by summer. The PS4 has already (won) this gen as far as sells go. The bone's prime reason for existing is giving kiddos who hate SONY a place to go. I don't know if that's going to cut it. My bone has been sitting in a tub in my garage for 3 years, its just redundant since i have a PS4.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:07 AM   #5
EL CABONG
Evil Dead

I used to be an Xbox guy. Over the years they really turned me off. I don't see myself ever buying a Xbox one .
But I still am glad they are doing better. Competition is good for consumers. Who knows if they put out stuff I want to play I may give them money. I like the idea of being able to pick up a game or 2 on PC as a option.

Last edited by EL CABONG; 01-31-2019 at 06:55 PM..
EL CABONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 05:24 PM   #6
Terran
Evil Dead

I was a HUGE Xbrick and Xbrick360 fan. I have hundreds and hundreds of games and assorted peripherals for both systems. MS killed me off as a fan with the RRoD and the over-a-year it took them to solve the licensing issue, essentially borking my box for anyone but me since nothing was playable unless it was done through my account online (kids couldn't play their games with their username and saves!). It was SHIT.

Then, when they needed to do something amazing to bring me back, they began this generation with really shitty and gamer-unfriendly ideas. They drove me to the PC and I'm never going back.

My kids have two free XB1s with free controllers and free games from their uncle (he's hardcore and always upgrading hardware and tossing the old stuff aside), but I don't spend any money on it. One of them is his home system and we (as in my kids...I'm rarely on there, and only to play them on occasion locally) get to play all the games he buys, lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 05:27 PM   #7
Wizzkidd
Evil Dead

"XbOx Is DoOmEd!"

Quote:
Overall, company revenue was up 12% for a total of $32.5 billion.
Oh.

Well, "XbOx Sux LoLz!"

Go Against the Flow.
Wizzkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 05:57 PM   #8
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzkidd View Post
"XbOx Is DoOmEd!"

Oh.

Well, "XbOx Sux LoLz!"
lol besides my obvious Nintendo hate, I don't really have a preference between MS and Sony. MS certainly stumbled out of the gate this gen, I get the feeling they don't do that again going forward and maybe have learned software is key not trying to push your console as a do it all media center. Time will certainly tell though if they did indeed figure that out going forward.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 10:23 PM   #9
Hellstorm
Evil Dead

MS will probably close most of those studios when they fail to translate into huge sales or hit IPs. That or they are preparing for their third-party developer future.

It's says a lot when the Switch is going to surpass the Xbox One's userbase in roughly two years time.
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Hellstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 10:41 PM   #10
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
lol besides my obvious Nintendo hate, I don't really have a preference between MS and Sony. MS certainly stumbled out of the gate this gen, I get the feeling they don't do that again going forward and maybe have learned software is key not trying to push your console as a do it all media center. Time will certainly tell though if they did indeed figure that out going forward.
Spec confirmed, secret xbone fanboy.

Imagine being a xbone fanboy in 2019. s
Old 02-01-2019, 12:10 AM   #11
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzc View Post
Spec confirmed, secret xbone fanboy.

Imagine being a xbone fanboy in 2019. s
Riiiiight puff puff pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellstorm View Post
lots of slurping and gagging sounds
What's that? Couldn't hear you with Nintendo's cock in your mouth.
Old 02-01-2019, 01:13 AM   #12
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Oh GTFO, Xbox is awesome. Once they got rid of that EA idiot kid who made all the bad decisions (can't remember his dumbass name) and brought out the X, it's been golden. They just need to bring back the golden era of Xbox JRPG exclusives they had in the middle of the 360 lifecycle.

If you have an 4K HDR TV the Xbox One X is no contest. Why the hell would I play games on a slower, weaker, noisier console unless they are exclusives? PS4 initially being much faster than the Xbox One is partly what caused me to abandon ship for PS4, but I'm come around back to Xbox. I don't have brand loyalty, I only have loyalty to POWER. And don't dare mention the PC. The PC is now dead to me for gaming.
Old 02-01-2019, 02:33 AM   #13
Juan
Evil Dead

Quote:
Great word. Imma steal it.

I think so to. The thing is with Xbox is, as long as MS wants to keep it afloat it will stay afloat. They can keep this going for 50 years if they want.

The Switch is catching up and will blow by xbone by summer. The PS4 has already (won) this gen as far as sells go. The bone's prime reason for existing is giving kiddos who hate SONY a place to go. I don't know if that's going to cut it. My bone has been sitting in a tub in my garage for 3 years, its just redundant since i have a PS4.
100% agree. How ever MS ended up where they are is beyond me, it is literally the worst management of a brand i have ever seen. The 360 was arguably the greatest console ever but the success went to MS head and they thought they could take fan loyalty for granted. They showed a real lack of understanding as to how the games industry works.

Hardcore gamers need to be courted, they are not the biggest demographic but they will be the early adopters and they will bring their friends with them later. Once people realised all their friends were on PS4 and that their live friends list was now a sea of 'offline' icons, xbone became useless.
Old 02-01-2019, 02:34 AM   #14
Juan
Evil Dead

I should say, i'd like Microsoft to come back strong. Competition is good and Sony can be utterly complacent and anti consumer when they don't have their back to the wall.
Old 02-01-2019, 05:36 AM   #15
shadow763
Lord of Woe

Quote:
I should say, i'd like Microsoft to come back strong. Competition is good and Sony can be utterly complacent and anti consumer when they don't have their back to the wall.
This. Sony will only not screw you over completely when they are being forced to be competitive or humble. This gen MS is in that spot. I wouldn't be surprised to see it reversed with the next set of consoles.
shadow763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 03:58 PM   #16
Hellstorm
Evil Dead

Quote:

What's that? Couldn't hear you with Nintendo's cock in your mouth.
Huh, can't hear ya over these money printers.
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Hellstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 04:22 PM   #17
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellstorm View Post
Huh, can't hear ya over these money printers.
By all means continue to pay for underpowered hardware, a fool and his money and all that.
Old 02-01-2019, 06:07 PM   #18
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
By all means continue to pay for underpowered hardware, a fool and his money and all that.
Most powerful handheld of all time. Underpowered.

Wowjustwow.

If all i cared about was power id be on PC only.
Old 02-02-2019, 05:43 AM   #19
Wizzkidd
Evil Dead

Quote:
Most powerful handheld of all time. Underpowered.

Wowjustwow.

If all i cared about was power id be on PC only.
Bro...

bro.

Can we just be honest and not fight for the virtue of consoles? I mean what the actual fuck man?

Switch is obviously underpowered. I have one and enjoy it. That doesn't mean I need to defend its chastity belt. It is what it is.

I don't hate on Nintendo, I own all the systems they have ever made. But when discussing facts, duh, they are the least powerful system. Yeah they are a home console/handheld. But my Nvidia Shield or even my phone are more powerful.

Whatever, Nintendo rocks it how they want to. But I don't need to pretend they compare to the other devices. No. They are the least powerful, and that's okay.

Go Against the Flow.
Wizzkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 06:52 AM   #20
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Most powerful handheld of all time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote