Yesterday 11:26 PM
19 Replies, 1,377 Views

Old 02-04-2019, 07:28 PM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Respawn Launches Fortnite Clone Apex Legends

Quote:
Look out, Fortnite.

EA and Respawn Entertainment, the game studio behind the Titanfall series, revealed their own free-to-play Battle Royale shooter on Monday: Apex Legends.

The new game is set in the Titanfall universe and offers a few twists on the established Battle Royale formula. Players are able to select one of eight playable character options, called "Legends," each with their own unique abilities. The gameplay is squad-based and the last team surviving wins.

Unlike Fortnite, players in Apex Legends can choose where their character will spawn at the beginning of a match using the Jumpmaster system. Downed teammates can also be revived via Respawn Beacons, one-time use locations to bring back felled allies. Additionally, there is an in-game communication system called Ping that allows players to pinpoint enemies, weapons, locations and more, and an inventory system which automatically attaches gear players pick up to the appropriate corresponding weapon.

“Our goal in every game you play is that you come in with a plan but you leave with a story,” said Drew McCoy, lead producer for Apex Legends. “We’re building a game that is not only going to deliver a fun and memorable experience at launch, but something we can keep growing for a long time to come.”

Battle Royale is one of the hottest trends in gaming currently, with AAA titles such as Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 and Red Dead Redemption 2 implementing a version of the gameplay mode into their online components. Fortnite, meanwhile, posted enormous profits last year with its free-to-play, microtransaction model, earning $2.4 billion in 2018.

Apex Legends is free to download now on PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC. A Battle Pass, which allows players access to exclusive cosmetic items earned through gameplay, will be available to purchase when the game's first season officially launches in March. New seasons will bring new content to the game such as new weapons, Legends and more.
Hollywood Reporter.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. 'nuff said.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 07:49 PM   #2
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Kinda sad. Emabulator is a big fan of the Titanfall series and this is something that I doubt any of us will ever play. It doesn't have building like Fortnite and it doesn't have Titans like Titanfall. What is the point here? What does this game do that you can't do better in Blackout???
Old 02-04-2019, 08:09 PM   #3
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
What does this game do that you can't do better in Blackout???
Sell skins maybe? We all know that's what these 'free' games aim to do...sell stuff in game. Maybe they think they can get some easy cash...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 08:49 PM   #4
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Looks like it has some personality which makes it the Overwatch of BR games I guess.

Still, Hi-Rez has a game already with BR, classes, teams, and personalities called Realm Royale. It is more cartoony and the production values look lower but still...
vallor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 10:20 PM   #5
Booda
Beam another Blast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
Sell skins maybe? We all know that's what these 'free' games aim to do...sell stuff in game. Maybe they think they can get some easy cash...
Booda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 10:58 PM   #6
Mozain
Fueled By Tits & Revenge

Actually of the three other BR games I've played (PUBG, CoD, Fortnite) I find this one to be the best by far.

Perhaps it's that I'm familiar with the Titanfall series so we get all the guns we loved in it, but the focus on squad play is much more my friends and Is style. Composing a team of differing abilities makes for some very unique plays.

I also like they they have things like legendary attachments for weapons that change how the weapon function. Only used one so far but it allowed the Devotion LMG to spin up to full speed much faster than normal, making it much better for close encounters.

Last edited by Mozain; 02-04-2019 at 11:16 PM..
Mozain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 11:52 PM   #7
Skunk
Evil Dead

Wow, that is a lot of re-used Titanfall assets.

I feel like this is just bandwagoning from Respawn; likely at the behest of EA.
Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 12:47 AM   #8
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Titanfall without the Titans. EA kinda missed a huge chance here to actually be innovative on the BR formula, instead we get a Fortnite/Overwatch hybrid along with the shitty overused, overstylized visual style to boot.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 05:48 AM   #9
shadow763
Lord of Woe

Had to do something with that Titanfall 3 engine and work. So this all makes sense. Teams of 3 might make it interesting for some people.
shadow763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 06:24 AM   #10
Booda
Beam another Blast

Welcome to gaming in a post Fortnite world. This is exactly what I was afraid of a year ago.

I don't call going from this...

to this...

progress at all. I guess the real "progress" will be when EA announces which characters are queer & when Post Malone will play an in game concert so they can shut off weapons & idiots can jump around & emote each other while not playing some garbage BR mode. And yeah, I'm putting all this on EA not Respawn. No way in hell is Vince Zampella ok with any of this trash.

Don't forget to buy those sweet sweet cosmetics playas!
Old 02-05-2019, 07:20 AM   #11
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booda View Post

And yeah, I'm putting all this on EA not Respawn. No way in hell is Vince Zampella ok with any of this trash.

Don't forget to buy those sweet sweet cosmetics playas!
I suspect you are right. People were saying it was going to cost $20 for skins, it has loot boxes and you could see pictures of the developers during the "launch" stream and they mostly looked bored and pissed off. I think they knew this was a stinker and just didn't want any part of it at all.
Old 02-05-2019, 08:07 AM   #12
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

One skin in this game is almost $20 in real cash for the "Legendary" skins. The simple color variant skins cost almost nothing. And it has cash loot boxes too.

This sounds a lot like what EA was trying to do with Star Wars Battlefront II that didn't work out.
Old 02-05-2019, 08:48 AM   #13
Booda
Beam another Blast

With the current gaming culture there really is no accounting for taste. They're all pretty much "Fuck it bro, it's free so why not". Then spending asinine amounts of cash on cosmetics.

I also suppose whatever turd they can steam easily probably has something to do with it as well.
Old 02-05-2019, 11:11 AM   #14
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

I thought it looked kind of cool. It's downloaded on my PS4 but I haven't loaded it up yet. Most of the characters don't do much for me but the mechanics do look good. And while I know it's still very early, it seems to be trending pretty well on Twitch (and yes I know they are sponsoring some big streamers.)
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 01:15 PM   #15
wunshot
Subscriber

I liked the style of the video....curious. Are their classes (do each of those characters have special powers or weps)? Also, I'll take any fortnite game without that stupid base building....Nothing more frustrating than chasing someone who can throw up a wall in one second and shoot a two handed gun in the next.
wunshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 02:19 PM   #16
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booda View Post
With the current gaming culture there really is no accounting for taste. They're all pretty much "Fuck it bro, it's free so why not". Then spending asinine amounts of cash on cosmetics.

I also suppose whatever turd they can steam easily probably has something to do with it as well.
See, you get it. This is the culture that sickens me.

Tags
apex legends