Last post by Terran
Yesterday 07:53 PM
8 Replies, 1,517 Views

Old 07-22-2019, 10:18 AM   #21
CthulhuFan
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by actusoul View Post
Blade reboot is the only one I care about.
Blade, I don't know ... PG-13 and not casting Wesley Snipes, I'll hit it up on RedBox.

Dr. Strange, Black Widow and Hawkeye are a big hell yes.

Female Thor is a big fuck no. And the rest are just 'meh' for me.
CthulhuFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 11:08 AM   #22
Mondopest
Evil Dead

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booda View Post

As much as everyone loves their CGI movies around here, why is it that no one is talking about this?
Because it is nightmare fuel and we want to forget! Must forget.... Forget... Memories... Damn! >(
Old 07-23-2019, 02:31 AM   #23
Inkabodcrane
Evil Dead

Dr Strange sound cool, being billed as a "horror" movie.

The rest is wait and see. Thor was my favorite MCU character but he was wasted in Endgame and now he'll play second fiddle to female thor. You know those comics flopped hard, right? It's not like they're adapting an Alan Moore Thor run. If this was a different time, I'd think it was a cool or at least interesting idea. But in this era, using the female thor just screams pandering and it is quite off-putting.

Never say never, we'll see what happens, but I am pretty over the general tone and formula of MCU films.

Go Against the Flow.
Inkabodcrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 09:02 AM   #24
Terran
Evil Dead

I have to admit to feeling a bit 'phased out' on Marvel content after Endgame, much like I felt at the end of Game of Thrones; wanting to see it through, a bit fatigued at the slog to get to the end.

So, what's exciting, what's not?

MCU's Phase 4:

BlackWidow May 1, 2020 - Is she still allowed to play this part? She's not really a Russian spy IRL is she? MehMeter at a modest 5/10.

Eternals - Nov 6, 2020 MehMeter at 10/10...completely uninterested.

Falcon & The Winter Soldier - Fall 2020 MEH! 10/10.

ShangChi - Feb 12, 2021 MEH! 10/10.

WandaVision - Spring 2021 MEH! 10/10.

Loki - Spring 2021 Actually interested, so MehMeter at 0/10.

DoctorStrange - May 7, 2021 Interested, so 0/10.

WhatIf -Summer 2021 Nope. ZERO.

Hawkeye - Fall 2021#Thor - Nov 5, 2021 NOPE. ZERO.

Blade - TBD ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 07:15 PM   #25
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Does anyone else now get that feeling that they are now cheapening and "Skylandering" the Marvel Universe to death? Some of the names of these movies are ridiculous and reek of pure cheese!! "Multiverse of Madness"? "Love and Thunder"? They sound like CARNIVAL rides!

Looks like DC will soon be the superhero movie franchise of choice. They were always more serious, and it shows.
Old 07-23-2019, 09:24 PM   #26
Mozain
Fueled By Tits & Revenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
Looks like DC will soon be the superhero movie franchise of choice. They were always more serious, and it shows.
Ha! Oh hahahaha! Good one heh... Oh wait... You're serious?

Just watched Shazam and it was a big ol' pile of meh. I got exactly 2 laughs out of the thing and was terribly bored the rest of the way though. Yet it's still the best movie DC has been able to throw out since Nolan. They have a long way to go before they come close to Marvel's worst, and Marvel has a long way to fall before they succumb to DC.
Mozain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 12:44 AM   #27
Inkabodcrane
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozain View Post
Ha! Oh hahahaha! Good one heh... Oh wait... You're serious?

Just watched Shazam and it was a big ol' pile of meh. I got exactly 2 laughs out of the thing and was terribly bored the rest of the way though. Yet it's still the best movie DC has been able to throw out since Nolan. They have a long way to go before they come close to Marvel's worst, and Marvel has a long way to fall before they succumb to DC.
Man of Steel and BvS Ultimate are better films than any MCU film, or all of them combined.

MCU films are dime a dozen, PIXAR-esque (meaning they try to appeal to all ages and all people), safe at all times, fun-for-the-whole-family, generic, factory conveyor belt made stuff. And that's perfectly fine. I enjoy them myself at times. But they have no lasting impact, no mature themes, nothing to admire other than the fact that there are so many of them that share the same universe.

I'm not trying to shit on them, I am just saying they're fun little popcorn films that waste a couple hours and then it's back to the world. The Nolan films, Man of Steel, and BvS are works of art that require more than a bucket of popcorn and a childish sense of wonder to appreciate. They just get better with time.

Shazam had the formula and gravitas of an MCU film. Fun for a bit but very safe. Surprised you didn't like it more, it was basically Ant-Man.

Go Against the Flow.
Inkabodcrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 05:48 AM   #28
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkabodcrane View Post
MCU films are dime a dozen, PIXAR-esque (meaning they try to appeal to all ages and all people), safe at all times, fun-for-the-whole-family, generic, factory conveyor belt made stuff. And that's perfectly fine. I enjoy them myself at times. But they have no lasting impact, no mature themes, nothing to admire other than the fact that there are so many of them that share the same universe.
This. So much THIS.
Quote:
Old 07-24-2019, 11:59 AM   #29
Mozain
Fueled By Tits & Revenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkabodcrane View Post
Man of Steel and BvS Ultimate are better films than any MCU film, or all of them combined.

I'm not trying to shit on them, I am just saying they're fun little popcorn films that waste a couple hours and then it's back to the world. The Nolan films, Man of Steel, and BvS are works of art that require more than a bucket of popcorn and a childish sense of wonder to appreciate. They just get better with time.

Shazam had the formula and gravitas of an MCU film. Fun for a bit but very safe. Surprised you didn't like it more, it was basically Ant-Man.
No Marvel or DC movie even approaches "work of art", not even close. They are money making ventures. And we are talking about Synder here right? Zack "More Slow Motion!" Synder? That's who you're going to hang your hat on as someone who produces "art"?

I mean people enjoy what they enjoy and I don't begrudge them one bit for it. However, all I can add to the conversation when you throw that point of view out there is good luck trying to make that argument stick, you have a long, hard road ahead.
Old 07-24-2019, 02:41 PM   #30
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

As much as I think Snyder fubared it on Watchmen he squeezed more emotion and quality out of Man of Steel than 10 years of MCU films were able to do combined.

I like both universes for different reasons but neither deserve the "work of art" label. And some of the movies from both product lines are just shit.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 03:42 PM   #31
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
I think Snyder squeezed more emotion and quality out of Man of Steel than 10 years of MCU films were able to do combined.
I agree. MoS actually had some very poignant moments. I enjoyed it immensely.

I don't see a single MCU film being referred to as a classic decades into the future. Of course, that's primarily because we'll all be dead from global whining...I mean warnings...I mean warming.
Quote:
Old 07-24-2019, 05:50 PM   #32
VenomUSMC
Evil Dead

It's unfortunate that BvS, which I did enjoy, had issues that seem to be due in large part to the tragedy in Synder's personal life.

Of these MCU announcements, only the "What If" really interests me at the moment.
VenomUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 11:51 PM   #33
Skunk
Evil Dead

I'm kinda interested in another Doc Strange movie because I thought the first one wasn't bad at all and I really liked him playing off Tony Stark in the Avengerses.

I heard folks in China are blowing up their social media with a lot of comments on Shang-chi, which is... interesting. If you look into what they are mad about, it really speaks to how their worldview is formed. It's ultra-nationalism without racism (the main character's actor is Chinese, but from Canada and they're pissed about it)... very weird for me to get my head around. It's funny too because they're so self aware of how big their movie market is that people are basically calling out Disney on just making bad market judgments for not accommodating their Sino-centric worldview.

New Thor... so is Natalie Portman going to fully commit and juice up to get Chyna-level ripped? Or is she going to swing a hammer and wear armor looking like a toothpick? It's a pretty shallow concern, I'll admit, but it's pretty much the only thing I care about. I only have a surface-level knowledge of this plot because I never cared about Thor but "I'm Thor with Cancer" sounds pretty dumb to me regardless of gender. Let's see where this train takes us; she's got 2 years to find the gym.

The rest for me is pretty shrug. My favorite dudes growing up were Spider Man, Ghost Rider, and anything X-Men (thanks Fox Kids!)... speaking of which, what is this about Disney doing a new X-Men movie? Did they finally get the rights from Fox to put it all under one roof?
Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 12:02 AM   #34
Skunk
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
"Multiverse of Madness"? "Love and Thunder"? They sound like CARNIVAL rides!
My man, please use Google. It's there for you to not make an ass of yourself in front of all your internet friends.

Since it's been announced that Multiverse of Madness is going to be the first MCU Horror film, it's likely making a nod to Lovecraft's Mountains of Madness. Hardly carnival ride material.

Love and Thunder? Okay, sounds pretty cheesy. But then again it's Marvel we're talking about, not 2000 A.D.
Old 07-25-2019, 08:24 AM   #35
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booda View Post

As much as everyone loves their CGI movies around here, why is it that no one is talking about this?
1:24, sounds like she's screaming, not singing.

Looks like herpes, lol. Terrible looking film. Ugh.
Quote:
Old 07-25-2019, 11:40 AM   #36
Mozain
Fueled By Tits & Revenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk View Post
speaking of which, what is this about Disney doing a new X-Men movie? Did they finally get the rights from Fox to put it all under one roof?
Get the rights from Fox? They bought Fox...
Old 07-25-2019, 01:09 PM   #37
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Quote:
My man, please use Google. It's there for you to not make an ass of yourself in front of all your internet friends.

Since it's been announced that Multiverse of Madness is going to be the first MCU Horror film, it's likely making a nod to Lovecraft's Mountains of Madness. Hardly carnival ride material.
Thank for this. As a Lovecraft fan I am now officially ashamed.

But it's still a cheesy title.
Old 07-25-2019, 02:00 PM   #38
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
New Thor... so is Natalie Portman going to fully commit and juice up to get Chyna-level ripped? Or is she going to swing a hammer and wear armor looking like a toothpick? It's a pretty shallow concern, I'll admit, but it's pretty much the only thing I care about.
It's not that shallow, really. If she didn't bother, I feel like it would be a fair bit of criticism just as it was with Gal Gadot. I thought she did a great job as Wonder Woman, but she never really looked like she was as powerful as she was portrayed. Besides, they made Jane Foster more muscular (but not absurdly so) when she transformed into Thor, so it's definitely part of the character.

Besides, they make the guys go through hell to get all swole for these movies. It'd be pretty shitty if they didn't put someone like her through the ringer.

Quote:
speaking of which, what is this about Disney doing a new X-Men movie? Did they finally get the rights from Fox to put it all under one roof?
Did you miss the thing about Disney buying Fox?
Old 07-25-2019, 07:01 PM   #39
Skunk
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
Did you miss the thing about Disney buying Fox?
Apparently I was on the Moon that day. Holy Cow!
Old 07-26-2019, 04:16 AM   #40
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Apparently I was on the Moon that day. Holy Cow!
Yeah, they essentially bought everything except the broadcast stuff (which they can't legally own due to FCC regulations, since they already own ABC). This means the Alien Queen is now technically a Disney Princess. It also means Disney/Marvel now owns the film rights to X-Men and Fantastic Four again, as well as Star Wars/A New Hope (which was the one piece of Star Wars that didn't actually come with the Lucasfilm purchase).

Tags
marvel phase 4