Today 04:39 AM
4,756 Replies, 1,036,784 Views

Old 09-12-2019, 07:32 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Sega Genesis Mini Reviews

IGN.com.

Quote:
The Sega Genesis Mini is the closest thing we have to a perfect all-in-one mini console so far. There are a few weird emulation issues here and there, but the sheer number of games and its delightful interface far outshines any graphical hiccups in these classic games. The quiet inclusion of different ROMs for different regions is one of those things that makes no sense at all to include while simultaneously making it feel even more lovingly crafted and special. It's hard to find much to really dislike about the Genesis Mini. The decision to include the 3-button controllers rather than the later 6-button ones is a bummer, but it only really matters for Street Fighter II. Even if I was more of a SNES kid growing up, the Genesis Mini is now my favorite retro mini console.
Destructoid.

Quote:
Any opportunity to play with a Sega Genesis was mesmerizing and magical: to the point where I even rented one at Blockbuster (with QuackShot!) to help with the withdrawals. But as time went on I didn't have to worry about missing out, as Sega put their classics on pretty much every device known to man. The Sega Genesis Mini is yet another way to play them, but manages to rise to the level of the beloved Nintendo Classic Editions to cement its place in Mini history.
Engadget.

Quote:
So here's the thing: if you still have room in your life for more gaming nostalgia, or maybe if you were a Genesis kid and not a Nintendo kid, then this console is definitely for you. If you're curious about it, well, then you can't go wrong. It's $79.99, and you get a lot of games, plus a strong shot of the '90s distilled -- brace yourself for a lot of sassy animal mascots, graffiti-fonts, "tubular" slang, whatever the hell Earthworm Jim was, plus, of course ToeJam and Earl and its early '90s funk. You'll have a rad time.
CNET.com.

Quote:
But the Sega Genesis Mini is the Sega retro console you've been waiting for. Simply put: If you want to play some great Sega Genesis games, a well-spent $80 here gets you 40 well-picked ones.
Gamespot.

Quote:
So the Mini has some issues, and for M2 fans it might be a little disappointing to see that it falls short of the team's most ambitious retro projects from the past, but for the most part the Mini is a very satisfying little console. It's got the looks, it's got a great selection of games that largely play faithful to the original experience, and it's priced just right at $80--though you may disagree if the six-button games like Street Fighter II are critical factors. Genesis fans have waited a long time for a system like this, and for once, we're happy to say that the latest official Genesis console is one worth buying.
Sega Genesis Mini on Amazon.

Anyone picking one up? I'm still on the fence about the Atari Flashback and I'm saving most of my money for the full-sized C64 Mini.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 11:28 AM   #2
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

My birthday is in a few days, so I'll be getting one for that.
Old 09-12-2019, 11:29 AM   #3
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

I'll say it. I like the Genesis over the SNES. The reviews sound great.
Old 09-12-2019, 11:50 AM   #4
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Yea, I totally want one of these and one of the HD Atari Flashback 120's.
Old 09-12-2019, 12:55 PM   #5
Sir_Smokes_Alot
Death Knight

When I retro game I like to play on original hardware but stuff like this is very nice.
Sir_Smokes_Alot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 07:25 PM   #6
vivafletcher
Evil Dead

Looks good. If I didn't already have a Genesis, it would be the type of thing I'd buy.
vivafletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 03:17 AM   #7
Wolfgang
Evil Dead

I have one on the way.
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 07:48 AM   #8
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead

I'm getting the one with the Sega CD attachment... cuz... I had too LOL
Old 09-13-2019, 08:42 AM   #9
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardedSonOfNel View Post
I'll say it. I like the Genesis over the SNES. The reviews sound great.
You're high. The amount of stellar titles on the SNES is almost endless. That said, I did love me some genesis back in the day.
Old 09-13-2019, 09:12 AM   #10
Chief Smash
Subscriber

I love the Genesis vs SNES rivalry. It offers a true insight into how two people can look at the same thing and see something totally different.

That being said, the Genesis was an awesome system and the SNES was way better than that awesome system.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 10:44 AM   #11
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

I was a Genesis guy all the way. Star Control, Master of Monsters, Shining Force series, Phantasy Star, the Genesis version of Shadowrun and Mortal Kombat... all sooooo good.

Never felt like I missed anything on the SNES except Zelda.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 11:50 AM   #12
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
You're high. The amount of stellar titles on the SNES is almost endless. That said, I did love me some genesis back in the day.
I like different games than you, and the Genesis offered those games. Road Rash, Out Run, ect.... Oh, and the Sports games were better. I loved Star Control, and Streets of Rage. And don't get me started on the SHMUPs... Genesis wins hands down in the SHMUP department (if you take the PC Engine out of the mix).
Old 09-13-2019, 12:01 PM   #13
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
I like different games than you, and the Genesis offered those games. Road Rash, Out Run, ect.... Oh, and the Sports games were better. I loved Star Control, and Streets of Rage. And don't get me started on the SHMUPs... Genesis wins hands down (if you take the PC Engine out of the mix).
Hahaha,

Hey dont get me wrong, i love all those games. Road Rash was stellar, and Mortal Kombat was a bit better for obvious reasons on the Genesis. Sports games were better too, by a mile, on the whole. Can't count how many times I've beat Streets of Rage either.

But the SNES had too many amazing games. The JRPGs back then blew the doors off of the ones on SEGA's platform, IMO. Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, FFVI, Earthbound, Illusion of Gaia and on and on.

Then breaking the sports rule, Ken Griffey Jr Presents MLB was amazing.

All of NIntendo's stuff like Super Metroid and Zelda: Link to the Past, and on and on.

Mega Man X? Cmon now.

TMNT Turtles in Time

Super Castlevania IV

ActRaiser

Super Star Wars

Contra III: The Alien Wars

and the list goes forever.
Old 09-13-2019, 12:08 PM   #14
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Hahaha,

Hey dont get me wrong, i love all those games. Road Rash was stellar, and Mortal Kombat was a bit better for obvious reasons on the Genesis. Sports games were better too, by a mile, on the whole. Can't count how many times I've beat Streets of Rage either.

But the SNES had too many amazing games. The JRPGs back then blew the doors off of the ones on SEGA's platform, IMO. Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, FFVI, Earthbound, Illusion of Gaia and on and on.
Judge Dredd. Jurassic Park Rampage Edition. 'nuff said!
Old 09-14-2019, 01:21 AM   #15
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
Judge Dredd. Jurassic Park Rampage Edition. 'nuff said!
Il forgive you. Clearly you're high as a kite too. The genesis was great, but c'mon now. There's s reason the SNES won the battle long term. Too many great exclusives.
Old 09-14-2019, 01:53 AM   #16
Sir_Smokes_Alot
Death Knight

Quote:
Il forgive you. Clearly you're high as a kite too. The genesis was great, but c'mon now. There's s reason the SNES won the battle long term. Too many great exclusives.
The Genesis definitely had way better sports games then the SNES.
Sir_Smokes_Alot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 06:48 AM   #17
TheHulk
Evil Dead

Loved the Sega CD and 32X back in the day. I got one of the other Genesis retro consoles about 2 years ago but still haven’t opened it.
Old 09-14-2019, 07:23 AM   #18
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Quote:
Hahaha,

Then breaking the sports rule, Ken Griffey Jr Presents MLB was amazing.

All of NIntendo's stuff like Super Metroid and Zelda: Link to the Past, and on and on.

Mega Man X? Cmon now.

TMNT Turtles in Time

Super Castlevania IV

ActRaiser

Super Star Wars

Contra III: The Alien Wars

and the list goes forever.
I don't like JRPGs.
One sports game (while I don't play them now; I loved them then and the Genesis was the place for them.
I don't like Mega Man
I enjoyed the Genesis's Castlevania.

It's like you didn't listen to what I said the first time We like different games, and the Genesis gave me what I wanted. It wasn't like I didn't try those games back in the day. Many of my friends had the SNES.

I'm a HUGE emulator guy, and the two systems I play the most are the PC Engine, and the Genesis. SHMUPs!!!!
Old 09-14-2019, 10:06 AM   #19
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
I don't like JRPGs.
One sports game (while I don't play them now; I loved them then and the Genesis was the place for them.
I don't like Mega Man
I enjoyed the Genesis's Castlevania.

It's like you didn't listen to what I said the first time We like different games, and the Genesis gave me what I wanted. It wasn't like I didn't try those games back in the day. Many of my friends had the SNES.

I'm a HUGE emulator guy, and the two systems I play the most are the PC Engine, and the Genesis. SHMUPs!!!!
I listened, i just....didn't believe you! But wow. I don't know what to say. Didn't like Mega Man...i didn't even know that was possible.

Okay, fair enough. I'm not trying to knock the Genesis. I loved that console. I don't know how much time I put into NFL 95 but it was far more than anyone should.
Old 09-14-2019, 10:07 AM   #20
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Smokes_Alot View Post
The Genesis definitely had way better sports games then the SNES.
Completely agree.

Tags
sega genesis