Today 09:48 AM
0 Replies, 119 Views

Old 05-23-2018, 10:07 AM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

The NPD Group: God Of War Topped The April Charts With Its Record Launch

Game Informer has the story.

Quote:
The NPD Group released its April report today, sharing some great news for Sony. God of War was April's best-selling game, but even more exciting is that it set a new record for highest-ever sales by dollar in a launch month for a PlayStation exclusive game.

With God of War's success, Sony earned its place as April's top-selling publisher. However, Ubisoft still has the lead for the top revenue-generating publisher this year, with Far Cry 5 being the second best-selling game of April. MLB 18: The Show earned third place, only behind God of War for best-selling exclusive. The Nintendo Labo Variety Kit also made it into the top four, while the Robot Kit only ranked at number 21.

Some other cool stats to consider: April's overall spending across all video game hardware, software accessories, and game cards grew 18 percent compared to a year ago, with gains across all categories. Hardware spending also increased for April 2018, increasing 14 percent, with gains for Xbox One, PS4, and Plug 'N Play devices such as the SNES Classic. The PS4 earned the highest April unit sales for a console since the Nintendo Wii in April 2009.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 10:37 AM   #2
LostToys
Evil Dead

Good for Kratos. The game finally shipped by GameFly so I should have it by the weekend, but likely will not get around to playing it until sometime next week as I am still only halfway through Yakuza 6: Song of Life.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:47 AM   #3
brandonjclark
Subscriber

#FakeNews!

No one wants SP anymore, amirite?
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 12:38 PM   #4
wunshot
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostToys View Post
Good for Kratos. The game finally shipped by GameFly so I should have it by the weekend, but likely will not get around to playing it until sometime next week as I am still only halfway through Yakuza 6: Song of Life.
God of War is excellent. It's one of those rare ones that i'm actually envious of you because you haven't played it yet.

Are those Yakuza games any good if you don't like JRPG's like Persona 5? I really love Dark Souls and Nioh and I like Yakuza. I just hate the whole bubble gum Jpop presentation of games like Persona.
wunshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 01:36 PM   #5
LostToys
Evil Dead

Yakuza is more of a manly soap opera meets brawler than Japanese RPG. So if you like press buttons and see people being punched in the face or bikes crashed over their head, want to run around an overly serious and at times extremely funny portion of Tokyo's red light district, love to play minigames, side-quests and other partake in other distractions, and be told a rather engaging but convoluted story, then play the Yakuza games.

I generally recommend playing Yakuza: Kiwami then Yakuza 0. It is then up to you if you want to jump straight into Yakuza 6, or wait for Yakuza 2: Kiwami and the PS4 ports of 3, 4 and 5 (announced for Japan just this week).
Old 05-23-2018, 06:27 PM   #6
wunshot
Subscriber

Quote:
Yakuza is more of a manly soap opera meets brawler than Japanese RPG. So if you like press buttons and see people being punched in the face or bikes crashed over their head, want to run around an overly serious and at times extremely funny portion of Tokyo's red light district, love to play minigames, side-quests and other partake in other distractions, and be told a rather engaging but convoluted story, then play the Yakuza games.

I generally recommend playing Yakuza: Kiwami then Yakuza 0. It is then up to you if you want to jump straight into Yakuza 6, or wait for Yakuza 2: Kiwami and the PS4 ports of 3, 4 and 5 (announced for Japan just this week).
Thanks for the advice. I'll eventually give Yakuza 0 a go, but I have a hard time paying $59.99 for a game that is 1.5 years old.
wunshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 07:34 PM   #7
LostToys
Evil Dead

Wait for a PSN sale. Sony usually has a Japanese-centric one once a year. Or, if you do not mind Gamestop, they have the physical copy for $30.00. Yakuza: Kiwami also has a new MSRP of just $20.00, so you can always get it for a laugh and see if you like it or not.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:41 AM   #8
Scherge
Subscriber

Quote:
I would agree with this order, but if you just want to give the series a try, I recommend starting with "Yakuza 0". It may spoil some of the jokes in Kiwami (mainly the connection between the two 0 protagonists), but it's a more well-rounded game in my opinion. Also, the substories (side quests) are even more diverse and hilarious!

Overall, I think these games are brilliant, but you really have to like brawlers to fully enjoy them.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:08 AM   #9
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Wait for a PSN sale. Sony usually has a Japanese-centric one once a year. Or, if you do not mind Gamestop, they have the physical copy for $30.00. Yakuza: Kiwami also has a new MSRP of just $20.00, so you can always get it for a laugh and see if you like it or not.
He'll have to wait a year for that one, I think. They usually do it around Golden Week, which is at the end of April/early May.

As an aside, I wish we had something like Golden Week in the US. Almost everyone gets about a week off, either because they take vacation time or because companies shut down to give their folks some time off.

Tags
god of war