World War Z Launches in...
Last post by Robberbaron
Today 01:27 PM
3 Replies, 494 Views

Old 02-10-2012, 12:25 AM   #1
randir14
Subscriber

Blizzard and Valve Fighting Legal Battle Over DOTA

Kotaku is reporting that Blizzard is trying to fight Valve in court over use of the DOTA name.

Quote:
Blizzard once made a game called WarCraft III. Then someone made an awesome mod for it called DOTA. Then Valve decided to make a game called DOTA 2. Then Blizzard decided to make something called Blizzard DOTA.

And now Blizzard is fighting a legal battle with Valve over the whole thing. What a mess.

Two of the most successful and popular PC developers of all time are squaring off in court over the use of the term DOTA, which stands for Defence of the Ancients.

In 2010, Valve - who is working on a successor to the original called DOTA 2 - began attempts to trademark the word "DOTA", despite the fact it had no historical connection to the property or the genre. At the time, Blizzard said some unkind things publicly about the move, but didn't seem to take things any further.

It has now.
Read more
randir14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 01:36 AM   #2
inscribed
Evil Dead

Blizzard has lost me as a supporter, so I think I'd root for Valve in this fight.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:39 AM   #3
Orphiuchus
Evil Dead

Well what a shock, nuisance suits designed to harm a competitor. Seems like Activision has finished corrupting Blizzard's soul.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:47 AM   #4
Mav
Moderator & Nerd For Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orphiuchus View Post
Well what a shock, nuisance suits designed to harm a competitor. Seems like Activision has finished corrupting Blizzard's soul.
To be fair, DOTA was originally a mod / custom map for Warcaft 3.

When you install any Blizzard game that has one of their map editors, i.e. Starcraft, Warcraft, etc you can bet somewhere in the Terms of Service / EULA it says that at any time whatever you have made with their editor Blizzard can claim as their own.

So while originally DOTA was a WCIII custom map, that the user IceFrog eventually took over production of, it's well within Blizzard's legal arm of the law to say "Hey, you may have made this but we own it".

Now is it a dick move to pull? That's up to personal opinion. Honestly I'm surprised Blizzard has not "pulled rank" on DOTA for so long, I mean it pretty much spawned the entire MOBA genre for games like League of Legends, Heroes of Newerth, Bloodline Champions, Demigod, etc etc etc (I always preferred HoN myself).

What would have been nice would have been once DOTA became big in WCIII prior to IceFrog taking over it's development, would be for Blizzard to go "hey this custom map is getting millions of plays and there is a whole sub-genre competitive scene for it, we should hire it's creator and go full throttle with it". Alas they didnt do that

So if Kotick and Newell duke it out in court, who has the bigger pocket book to fight it out?
Raptr mavgeek
Twitter @Maverickroll
Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 03:00 AM   #5
DrizziTx
Evil Dead

when valve took it as their own I raised a brow, if I were Blizzard I wouldn't let them walk away with it , especially if they try to Trademark it ... as been said, it was a mod for WC3. Valve has no right.

However I would be happy to see both companies use the name and if I had been Blizzard I'd say "sure, use the name, just don't treat it as your trademark", but I'm not Blizzard and probably Blizzard and Co. are much more greedy then me ...

I believe Notch would take my approach, but he's not Blizzard
Old 02-10-2012, 03:29 AM   #6
Duskfire
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orphiuchus View Post
Why is Blizzard in the wrong? DODA was originally a mod for Warcraft 3. Valve has basically no right to it as opposed to Blizzard who well, does. Whether there should be a legal battle over it is a different story, however the DODA name has alot of recognition behind it now and with both companies making a game based on it, it only makes sense for someone to fight for it.

Why is it that Valve can do no wrong but everything Blizzard does is wrong?
Old 02-10-2012, 03:32 AM   #7
Duskfire
Evil Dead

Not to mention, it was valve who started it in the first place by attempting to copyright the name. if anything, Blizzard has every right to fight for it.
Old 02-10-2012, 04:13 AM   #8
sai tyrus
Renegade Paragon

Yeah, my first thought with the name was that this is a bad idea on Valve's behalf. Mav nailed this on the head. I see both sides of it, just don't see how Valve can come away clean from this one...

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve!" - Bilbo Baggins
sai tyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:15 AM   #9
sai tyrus
Renegade Paragon

Their only argument actually could be over the name DOTA2. It implies Defense of the Ancients 2, but it never overtly states that is the name of the game. Like I said, the outcome of this will be interesting. Still love me some Valve!

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve!" - Bilbo Baggins
sai tyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:16 AM   #10
Whimbrel
Subhuman

Won't somebody please think of the Ancients?
Whimbrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:25 AM   #11
Strider
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duskfire View Post
Why is Blizzard in the wrong? DODA was originally a mod for Warcraft 3. Valve has basically no right to it as opposed to Blizzard who well, does. Whether there should be a legal battle over it is a different story, however the DODA name has alot of recognition behind it now and with both companies making a game based on it, it only makes sense for someone to fight for it.

Why is it that Valve can do no wrong but everything Blizzard does is wrong?
Isn't (one of) the creator(s) of the original DOTA a Valve employee now? And if, shouldn't he have the rights?

Anyway, POPCORN!
Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:37 AM   #12
Duskfire
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider View Post
Isn't (one of) the creator(s) of the original DOTA a Valve employee now? And if, shouldn't he have the rights?

Anyway, POPCORN!
No because originally it was a mod created solely for use on Warcraft 3. It was based on figures found within a Blizzard game. What happened was that Valve stepped forth and attempted to claim they did, and Blizzard was like, "whoa hang on buddy, we have as much right as you do, if not more." Am not saying Valve are the bad guys here because they are just trying to protect their interests, but they were the ones who began it by attempting to copyright something they have no right to copyright. And Blizzard is just fighting against that. Its not greedy on a companys part to fight against something like that, so I am not sure why Blizzard is being painted in a negative light.

Personally I think the term is too widely known to be used by any company. However Valve did start it, and Blizzard are attempting to stop it.
Old 02-10-2012, 04:59 AM   #13
Phoenix1985
Subscriber

Sure took them long enough. Very nicely timed to make sure they'd put enough development time into it to be a huge loss if it got delayed for a namechange.

Can I just hate on Blizzard anyway because of how much I loathe the company itself, even if they've technically got the law on their side?
Phoenix1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 05:30 AM   #14
see colon
Evil Dead

That's like Hammermill trying to get the rights to everything I've ever drawn because it required the use of their paper.

IMHO, the ONLY people who should have a beef with anyone using "DOTA" are the people who worked on it in the past. What Icefrog did was a tad shiesty, but seriously, more power to him. He was in charge of the IP at the time.

Is Blizzard going to start court battles over "tower defense" next?
Old 02-10-2012, 05:37 AM   #15
Duskfire
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by see colon View Post
That's like Hammermill trying to get the rights to everything I've ever drawn because it required the use of their paper.

IMHO, the ONLY people who should have a beef with anyone using "DOTA" are the people who worked on it in the past. What Icefrog did was a tad shiesty, but seriously, more power to him. He was in charge of the IP at the time.

Is Blizzard going to start court battles over "tower defense" next?
But Blizzard isnt chasing the copyright itself, they are just stopping Valve from getting it. I really dont see why people have a problem with that. It means that effectively DODA is a free license to be used by essentially anyone. is that a bad thing? If someone wanted to copyright Tower Defense I fully expect them to be stopped in a legal battle as well.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:55 AM   #16
see colon
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duskfire View Post
But Blizzard isnt chasing the copyright itself, they are just stopping Valve from getting it. I really dont see why people have a problem with that. It means that effectively DODA is a free license to be used by essentially anyone. is that a bad thing? If someone wanted to copyright Tower Defense I fully expect them to be stopped in a legal battle as well.
But, shouldn't IceFrog have some claim to it? I know he didn't create it, but he was the guy in charge at the time. He's a Valve employee now, working on DOTA 2. Like I said, I know it was a tad underhanded how all of that went down, but you can't argue that he was the guy to talk to at the time if you wanted to use the name. Valve did it, hired him and started development, then all of a sudden Blizzard comes out with a DOTA game. Is anone who was involved with DOTA working on the Blizzard version? Right now, it looks like an IP grab by Blizzard.

Valve is just doing what they always do. Taking a mod, hiring the team and turning it into a retail product. Team Fortress was a Quake mod, did id Software complain? Alien Swarm was a UT2kX mod, did Epic Games complain?

Blizzard isn't chasing the trademark? No, but they are trying to use it for their own products, and thus far, I've seen nothing pointing to the fact that they've given anything back to the developers who created it, like Valve has.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:23 AM   #17
ldi222
Evil Dead

Lot of armchair legal speculation going on around here. Did the guy that created DOTA get PAID? Fuck Blizzard, Valve FTW!
ldi222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:39 AM   #18
SnappyCrunch
Lord

I don't understand all the Valve bashing and Blizzard apologizing in this thread. No other game publisher has ever tried to claim that they owned the rights to a mod that was created for their engine, simply because it was created with their engine.
SnappyCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:21 AM   #19
MrWheeler460
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyCrunch View Post
I don't understand all the Valve bashing and Blizzard apologizing in this thread. No other game publisher has ever tried to claim that they owned the rights to a mod that was created for their engine, simply because it was created with their engine.
Back of the mob!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLJFgJ1GXsM
MrWheeler460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:24 AM   #20
lockwoodx
Photobomber

This is why Value has the loyal supporters it does. Blizzard has reached a new low.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaATR View Post
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
lockwoodx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blizzard, dota, valve