Last post by Chief Smash
Yesterday 02:22 PM
9 Replies, 520 Views

Old 07-16-2018, 02:31 PM   #21
LostToys
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
Still want to see a real shocker from them though. A new IP totally out of their typical wheelhouse. Like a simulator like racer, (maybe an arcade/simulator hybrid, like a Baja racing type game) or a dark sci-fi survival horror, or just something where they take a risk and put their world class development skills to use in a genre they haven't ventured into before.
The problem is, even if they did, they would still be using their IP to make the game. Think Rabbids Kingdom Battle (Ubisoft) or Metroid Prime (Retro Studios).

Really, only ARMS and Splatoon seemed like their first real attempts at something new for a very long time, but AMRS felt like an updated Wii title than anything else as it relied on the "tried and true" waggle controls for combat and the base game was bare bones. It just did not feel like a fleshed out title, and just like 3, 2, 1, it felt like it was pushed to release to try to get as many games on the Switch at launch as possible.

Splatoon is weird, subversive and fun, but Nintendo really needs to go out and court more developers to make exclusive, and new, properties, like Daemon X Machina (personally I hate the art style, but I am digging the minute to minute gameplay).
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 02:35 PM   #22
MadMurdock_0311
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post
Imagine being a day trader. Those guys and girls go through such emotional highs and lows throughout a single day. I don't know how they do it.
Cocaine?
MadMurdock_0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 11:05 AM   #23
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
It's not a port, though.

Meh. You wouldn't really know, either way. It's not as if you've played any of these games.
Seeing them in action was enough to tip it off.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 11:45 AM   #24
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Seeing them in action was enough to tip it off.
Your version of "seeing them in action" is the video game equivalent of watching the trailer for a movie and declaring it to be a terrible film.

Having actually played both, I'd hesitate to call either a masterpiece. They're both quite good, but I didn't fall head over heels for either of them as many did.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:06 PM   #25
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Your version of "seeing them in action" is the video game equivalent of watching the trailer for a movie and declaring it to be a terrible film.

Having actually played both, I'd hesitate to call either a masterpiece. They're both quite good, but I didn't fall head over heels for either of them as many did.
Zelda got me. The fluidity of the open world, and the fact that there was unique shit around every turn, and almost never felt canned or empty, and the game encourage experimentation to such a crazy degree.

I remember laying a bunch of metal swords down, touching end to end from an electrical source in a dungeon to complete an electrical circuit to move on in a dungeon. Turns out that wasn't the way the area was "intended" to be beat at all. That's a minor one, too. I had more moments than I can count where creativity and experimentation was rewarded in that game.

If it had a weakness, it was definitely the story, IMO. But the sandbox experience made up for it in spades.

Personally, Zelda: BotW was the game I'd been wanting for a decade. It checked nearly all of my boxes, and moved itself into one of my favorite games of all time.

Between Zelda: BotW and Divinity: Original Sin 2, 2017 was one of the better years for my hobby I can recall.

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Useless as **** on a bull.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 02:18 AM   #26
Juan
Evil Dead

Mario Odyssey was overrated IMO but BOTW is an absolute 10/10 cast iron classic.
Juan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 08:45 AM   #27
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

I love Nintendo but I thought both games were overrated. They were both very enjoyable, especially BoTW but I felt like some of the praise was a little overdone. IMO, Galaxy 1 and 2 are still better 3D Mario games and I think I enjoyed Wind Waker as much or maybe more than BoTW.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 09:37 AM   #28
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
I love Nintendo but I thought both games were overrated. They were both very enjoyable, especially BoTW but I felt like some of the praise was a little overdone. IMO, Galaxy 1 and 2 are still better 3D Mario games and I think I enjoyed Wind Waker as much or maybe more than BoTW.
Galaxy is still my favorite Mario game, hands down. I'd love to see one - or both - make a comeback on the Switch in some capacity.
Odyssey was fun...but it just wasn't quite as awesome as Galaxy.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:21 PM   #29
Terran
Evil Dead

"...the company has now lost almost a quarter of its value on the Tokyo Stock Exchange."

Stock valuations are supposed to represent the current profitability (p/e ratio) and future potential of a company, but they have become so divorced from reality that it's really not much better than a giant Ponzi scheme.

Don't expect rationality from the stock markets of the world, because you won't get it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 06:09 PM   #30
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
BOTW is not a masterpiece, nor is Mario version 2018 volume 23. Good for Nintendo, the switch didn't bomb like the Wii U but seriously if you truly believe that for titles that shipped in 2017-18 that those constitute "masterpieces" you have some low standards.
Im going to agree with you. Odyssey sucked, BOTW while very very good, was not OOT.

Nintendo is playing the cheap game right now. And i dont like it. The Switch is a hit, now is the time to crank out the classics, not sell cheap ass AAA games. Nintendo is playing with fire here.

The WiiU shows people will walk. Stop trying to be apple and make goddam games. My Switch is collecting dust. I owned a WiiU, nothing to play...
Old 07-19-2018, 09:28 PM   #31
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzc View Post
Im going to agree with you. Odyssey sucked, BOTW while very very good, was not OOT.

Nintendo is playing the cheap game right now. And i dont like it. The Switch is a hit, now is the time to crank out the classics, not sell cheap ass AAA games. Nintendo is playing with fire here.

The WiiU shows people will walk. Stop trying to be apple and make goddam games. My Switch is collecting dust. I owned a WiiU, nothing to play...
It's (the Switch) definitely doing well for them and I give them credit, unfortunately there's very few titles that I'd even want to play on that platform. It's also a riot to me to see people clamor for a Wii U Smash Bros port like it's the next coming of Christ.
Old 07-20-2018, 06:26 AM   #32
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
It's (the Switch) definitely doing well for them and I give them credit...

Quote:
...unfortunately there's very few titles that I'd even want to play on that platform.
Yeah. We know.

Quote:
It's also a riot to me to see people clamor for a Wii U Smash Bros port like it's the next coming of Christ.
If Sakurai (the guy who's been in charge of the Smash series since day one) is to be believed - and I see no reason not to - the newest Smash is built specifically for the Switch. It's a new game, not a port.

Folks are clamoring for it because the series is popular and a ton of fans ended skipping out on the Wii U version because most of us didn't buy the console. The 3DS version outsold the Wii U version almost 2-to-1.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:18 AM   #33
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:

Yeah. We know.

If Sakurai (the guy who's been in charge of the Smash series since day one) is to be believed - and I see no reason not to - the newest Smash is built specifically for the Switch. It's a new game, not a port.

Folks are clamoring for it because the series is popular and a ton of fans ended skipping out on the Wii U version because most of us didn't buy the console. The 3DS version outsold the Wii U version almost 2-to-1.
Folks are clamoring for it because there's very little worth playing on the Switch.
Old 07-20-2018, 01:27 PM   #34
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Folks are clamoring for it because there's very little worth playing on the Switch.
Well, that's just not true at all.
Old 07-20-2018, 01:32 PM   #35
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
I think there's a lot of exclusives to play (obviously generally speaking - depends on taste), doubly so if you never owned a Pii-U. The system is barely more than 1 year old.

Zelda: BotW
Splatoon 2
Mario Odyssey
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Bayonetta 2
Captain Toad
That Kirby game
Octopath Traveler
Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle
Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition

Then there are lot of really good indie exclusives such as "Golf Story"

And a lot of great indie games that benefit from the mobility of the Switch such as "Celeste"

I mean, we're all saying "oh, Nintendo is dying down with the titles. The hype is fading", but I guess realistically, the system is 1yr and 4 months old. It's just getting it's legs under it. And considering we're barely beyond year 1, the system has already seen a lot of great exclusive content.

It's fine. But I DO think they'd better start announcing more soon, or there is still that potential for the console to flop.

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Useless as **** on a bull.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 07:16 PM   #36
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
I think there's a lot of exclusives to play (obviously generally speaking - depends on taste), doubly so if you never owned a Pii-U. The system is barely more than 1 year old.

Zelda: BotW
Splatoon 2
Mario Odyssey
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Bayonetta 2
Captain Toad
That Kirby game
Octopath Traveler
Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle
Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition

Then there are lot of really good indie exclusives such as "Golf Story"

And a lot of great indie games that benefit from the mobility of the Switch such as "Celeste"

I mean, we're all saying "oh, Nintendo is dying down with the titles. The hype is fading", but I guess realistically, the system is 1yr and 4 months old. It's just getting it's legs under it. And considering we're barely beyond year 1, the system has already seen a lot of great exclusive content.

It's fine. But I DO think they'd better start announcing more soon, or there is still that potential for the console to flop.
Aside from Octopath? nothing on that list I'd even care to watch someone play rather than play myself. And 98% of indie games are trash, sorry.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:38 AM   #37
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Aside from Octopath? nothing on that list I'd even care to watch someone play rather than play myself.
Yeah, we know.

It's been pretty well established at this point that you're not interested in the first-party titles from Nintendo.

Tags
nintendo