1 Replies, 1,236 Views
Take-Two Announces...
Last post by JazGalaxy
Today 01:20 PM
2 Replies, 190 Views

Old 09-17-2017, 08:04 AM   #1
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

It's Sunday: What NFL Games Are You Watching?

It's Sunday, and my birthday too. Mrs. SonOfNel got me the nice new jersey pictured above, so you all can guess who I'm rooting for

What games are you watching today?
BeardedSonOfNel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 08:41 AM   #2
TheHulk
Evil Dead

Rams vs. Redskins. Hoping for a healthy Bradford for you though.
Old 09-17-2017, 08:49 AM   #3
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Cowboys vs My Broncos!

Good luck Chimpbot.

Part of me was hoping Zeek would be suspended, because we're going to have a tough time stopping the run up the gut, especially against the Cowboy's offensive line. Dallas will stand a good chance to win if they turn the game into a battle in the trenches.

Chris Harris Jr can keep Cole Beasley contained, who's quietly turned into one of the best slots in football. Bryant struggles at times against big physical corners, so Talib may be able to mostly keep him contained as well. Where Dallas will likely find success is through avoiding the "No Fly Zone" all together and pounding the ball with Zeek.

If Denver can continue to build on their running attack with CJ Anderson and Jamaal Charles they may be able to keep it close. Seimian needs another solid game and LBs Brandon Marshall and Todd Davis need to be run-stuffers. The Broncos corners will be fine in 1 on 1 matchups outside but they're going to have to stack the box if we're going to have a prayer stopping Dallas' run game.

If Denver can somehow get ahead early and force Dallas to throw the ball, it could be a good day for Von Miller. His jump off of the snap is second-to-none and he's on a sack drought, having gone 5 consecutive games going back to last year without a sack.

One of the most compelling games this week.

My prediction:

DEN 27 - DAL 24

Denver barely squeaks out a home win on the legs of kicker Brandon McManus, who drills a last minute 50+ yard field goal.
Old 09-17-2017, 10:10 AM   #4
MechaDangerous
Evil Dead

Pretty much what Patrick said. Looking forward to a Bronco victory.
MechaDangerous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 11:17 AM   #5
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Minnesota'state defense is good, but with Keenum in there I'm not sure they can win this.
brandonjclark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 01:09 PM   #6
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Vikes are keeping it close.
Old 09-17-2017, 01:17 PM   #7
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Jets’ savior rankings: Baker Mayfield enters the conversation
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 01:54 PM   #8
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Bummer the Vikes couldn't do anything right today. Oh well, next week.
Old 09-17-2017, 03:18 PM   #9
hurstshifter
Evil Dead

Patriots/Saints. We needed that one after last week.
hurstshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 04:30 PM   #10
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardedSonOfNel View Post
Bummer the Vikes couldn't do anything right today. Oh well, next week.
It's really tough to win without your teams starting QB. I think it'd would've been a better game with Bradford in there.

Ok, two hours to the Packers vs. Falcons.
Old 09-17-2017, 06:20 PM   #11
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post
It's really tough to win without your teams starting QB. I think it'd would've been a better game with Bradford in there.

Ok, two hours to the Packers vs. Falcons.
Yep, you're right.
Have fun watching your game tonight!
Old 09-17-2017, 10:41 PM   #12
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

NONE! And proud of it!
Old 09-18-2017, 05:43 AM   #13
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaDangerous View Post
Pretty much what Patrick said. Looking forward to a Bronco victory.
Wow. What happened? We destroyed them. I can't believe how ineffective their run game was! The media has been claiming Denver will be 3rd or 4th in the division all off-season long. A lot of people had the Chargers as a clever pick to get into the playoffs with Denver missing. Anything could happen, but right now Denver looks like they can at least hang with KC and OAK, and potentially knock them both off.

Seimian actually looked good last year. He was 4-0 before his shoulder injury, he had no help from the run game, and that offensive line was a joke last year. I'm not surprised when he strings together a great game. It's clear why he's starting. If they've fixed the oline and their defense learned how to stop the run (which it clearly looked like they did yesterday) Denver is going to be a really complete team, and hard for anyone to beat. Including New England.

It's only week 2, but they looked pretty &^*^#@ good in that Dallas drubbing.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:21 AM   #14
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
Wow. What happened? We destroyed them. I can't believe how ineffective their run game was! The media has been claiming Denver will be 3rd or 4th in the division all off-season long. A lot of people had the Chargers as a clever pick to get into the playoffs with Denver missing. Anything could happen, but right now Denver looks like they can at least hang with KC and OAK, and potentially knock them both off.

Seimian actually looked good last year. He was 4-0 before his shoulder injury, he had no help from the run game, and that offensive line was a joke last year. I'm not surprised when he strings together a great game. It's clear why he's starting. If they've fixed the oline and their defense learned how to stop the run (which it clearly looked like they did yesterday) Denver is going to be a really complete team, and hard for anyone to beat. Including New England.

It's only week 2, but they looked pretty &^*^#@ good in that Dallas drubbing.
I think Dallas just wasn't prepared for how physical Denver's defense is. In a way, I'm kind of glad they suffered such a loss this early in the season; it not only gets it out of the way early, but Dak has never really been in that sort of situation before. He's only in his second year and it's just week two, so I'm hoping they take it as a learning experience and move on. At the end of the day, they ran up against a good team, got punched in the mouth and never really recovered.

I'm not worried about this particular loss. Denver is a good team, so there's no real shame there. Besides, every good team gets beat down from time to time: Look no further than New England last week or Green Bay last night.

It's all about next week, at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
NONE! And proud of it!
Old 09-18-2017, 09:21 AM   #15
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
NONE! And proud of it!
Same here. :HighFive:
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 09:47 AM   #16
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
Same here. :HighFive:
I'm actually getting kinda tired of the overall product myself; I used to be able to spend most of a Sunday watching football...but, I'm increasingly just sticking around for Patriots (my wife's team) and Cowboys games.

Once we started having lengthy discussions about the "Process of The Catch", I started losing interest.

I'd just rather watch hockey at this point.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:48 AM   #17
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
I think Dallas just wasn't prepared for how physical Denver's defense is. In a way, I'm kind of glad they suffered such a loss this early in the season; it not only gets it out of the way early, but Dak has never really been in that sort of situation before. He's only in his second year and it's just week two, so I'm hoping they take it as a learning experience and move on. At the end of the day, they ran up against a good team, got punched in the mouth and never really recovered.

I'm not worried about this particular loss. Denver is a good team, so there's no real shame there. Besides, every good team gets beat down from time to time: Look no further than New England last week or Green Bay last night.

It's all about next week, at this point.
Yah, really good point, and I think Jerry Jones actually said it best. This game wasn't a true reflection of the Cowboys team. Clearly Zeek getting 8 yards on the ground just doesn't really happen. Maybe they just got a bit too comfortable, and Denver was tired of hearing about how they couldn't stop the run last year. Either way, it happens to the best as you said. Usually great teams respond from losses like this by delivering an *** whooping the following week.

Either way, Dallas is still a very high quality football team. It should act as motivation. Hopefully this means Denver will have matured enough on offense to challenge the Raiders and Chiefs.

A few people called this a potential Super Bowl preview. Who knows, it's not entirely out of the realm of possibility. Atlanta and Green Bay - and New England and Oakland on the AFC side won't make that easy, but I wouldn't mind another DEN v DAL SB.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:01 AM   #18
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
Once we started having lengthy discussions about the "Process of The Catch", I started losing interest.
I used to absolutely love football. I still mildly enjoy college ball, but there are a lot of reasons I'm losing my 'taste' for the game, one of them the above. In no particular order:

* Debates about what is/isn't a catch and other ridiculous rules that overrule what looks to be common sense (it's a touchdown! NO, it's NOT! ).
* Terrible product. Too many of the games are just not close and are, as a result, boring.
* Interruptions of action. Replays, timeouts (team, official, ad), advertisements, extended halftimes; there is so little actual action, you can watch an entire game in just a dozen or so minutes condensed if you wish.
* Cost. Sure, it's 'free' on broadcast TV, but I find it highly annoying that an average outlay for a family of four to attend a game and get a few snacks is in the $400+ range. Ridiculous.
* Taxpayer funding of stadiums. These massive venues are financial sinkholes for taxpayer funding to enrich billionaire owners and millionaire players. Pay for that shit yourself, NFL.
* Fake patriotism. The NFL getting paid to have military moments at games pissed me off at both them and the DoD for paying.
* Player behavior. If you beat the hell out of your wife or girlfriend, you'll get a short suspension and a return to play (usually), but watch out if you ingested a hormone as a part of a cold medication or you'll be out for potentially a year!
* Concussions. I just can't ignore the reality that head/brain trauma is a 'normal' aspect of the game. Yes, other sports are dangerous, but this is pretty egregious. I actually think K-12 football should be banned. Have walk-on tryouts for colleges to award scholarships and let them college and pro players make that adult (18+) decision to ruin their brain. Kids shouldn't be doing it.
* Politicization. MY GOD, I'll never forget a few years back listening to Bob Costas preaching about gun control during a freaking football game. It's entertainment, assholes, and a huge percentage of your audience is composed of conservatives who like their guns and don't take kindly to millionaires protesting the injustice of America while they live like the 2%.

I'm pretty much done. I tune in on occasion to the Cowboys (saw five minutes, lol) or Giants, and I'll watch/attend an Army game (grew up with season tickets), but otherwise I'm basically done.

/rational rant off
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 12:02 PM   #19
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
Yah, really good point, and I think Jerry Jones actually said it best. This game wasn't a true reflection of the Cowboys team. Clearly Zeek getting 8 yards on the ground just doesn't really happen. Maybe they just got a bit too comfortable, and Denver was tired of hearing about how they couldn't stop the run last year. Either way, it happens to the best as you said. Usually great teams respond from losses like this by delivering an *** whooping the following week.

Either way, Dallas is still a very high quality football team. It should act as motivation. Hopefully this means Denver will have matured enough on offense to challenge the Raiders and Chiefs.

A few people called this a potential Super Bowl preview. Who knows, it's not entirely out of the realm of possibility. Atlanta and Green Bay - and New England and Oakland on the AFC side won't make that easy, but I wouldn't mind another DEN v DAL SB.
I think a Denver v Dallas SB would be almost as big as a New England v Dallas SB; it'd be a hell of a game and you know Round 2 wouldn't be even remotely as one-sided.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
Rational Rant
These are all legitimate points and I feel very similarly about...well, pretty much all of them.

Tags
football, nfl, nfl game day