Last post by inscribed
Today 12:47 PM
912 Replies, 152,110 Views

Old 09-25-2017, 04:32 PM   #41
Eats
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomUSMC View Post
Their not irreplaceable. In fact, the NFL, as a whole, has a high turnover rate of players.
That is true but deceptive. The turnover is high but not in the middle of a season. Which is why kaepernick got drummed out at the end of the season.
Eats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 04:33 PM   #42
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
... and also there are a lot more democrats vs republicans in the key age groups that matter to advertisers.(19-40)
Bullshit data point. NFL fans are high turnout Republican voters. In fact:
"NFL fans are wealthier, whiter, more male, and older than America as a whole. That sounds like the Trump demographic." Footnote for info at the site.

When you piss off your core fan base, you injure your business. Football already has a dozen other serious issues facing it. Pissing off its fans doesn't help it at all.
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 04:36 PM   #43
VenomUSMC
Evil Dead

Quote:
VenomUSMC you misunderstand me, and the rules of the NFL don't really matter from a PR perspective.
I disagree, and I don't believe I misunderstood you. I think the rules of the NFL do matter from a PR perspective. The rules, as Terran linked, state that it's against the rules to do this sort of thing; by the NFL allowing it, the NFL is supporting it against their own rules. I think many people assume or know this is against the rules. People have become increasingly aware of this very obvious double standard, and I think they're tired of having a Lefty viewpoint forced down their throats.

Quote:
Assume the NFL is a business that wants to minimize damage.

Once kaepernick kneeled they could fire him or fine him sure, but that would've created a huge backlash, and also there are a lot more democrats vs republicans in the key age groups that matter to advertisers.(19-40)
http://news.gallup.com/poll/172439/p...-spectrum.aspx[/quote]
From 2016:
Quote:
Market research firm the NPD Group found that Americans who identify as conservative Republicans have a strong affinity for sports stars, especially football and golf; while those who identify as liberal Democrats are big fans of musicians, actors, and TV personalities.
I'm not confident that this is definitive, but I think it's probably a better measurement than merely age.

Quote:
The best play they could make is to let Kaepernick finish his season and then just quietly blackball him from the league for making waves and then hope this situation goes away by itself.

Directly taking action against him puts them on a side, and not a good side from the perspective of operating a profitable business.

"I don't think Kaepernick was quietly swept under the rug. His protests were a regular sight on the news."

I'm not sure if you believe that the NFL and the news are the same business, but they aren't. Even if they have some umbrella company crossover, the news is trying to make money with engaging stories, like this one. When you have huge conglomerations like that they often have pieces that are in direct competition with each other.
By allowing him to break the rules, the NFL essentially endorsed him. That's not to say that I don't appreciate that it's not an issue for them. People see articles about local high schools where coaches reportedly can't pray on the field, are familiar with Tebow catching flak for it, and other similar stories. The NFL is the same as the media in that it largely relies on a customer base of willing customers, and if you alienate them, you're going to have issues. Now I believe their customer bases are very different, yet the principle is the same.
VenomUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 04:38 PM   #44
Eats
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
Because he's right. About the NFL. About the UN. About trade deals. About illegal immigration. About much of it.
The NFL blackballed kaepernick and didn't take overt action in order to stay out of politics, and that would've been the end of it.
Old 09-25-2017, 04:38 PM   #45
GunnSgtHartman
Evil Dead

Quote:
Hahahaha! A Canadian is anti-American. I'm soooo surprised.

Oh Canada...not so welcoming now Canada, lol.

Poor Canadians, heading to the U.S.

Enjoy your winter, lol.
What makes me anti-American? Just because of some criticism? Don't you think I have some too for our country?

You said liberal snowflakes were easy to trigger... well it didn't take much to trigger you. Take it easy man, you're wasting your time.
Old 09-25-2017, 04:41 PM   #46
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
The NFL blackballed kaepernick and didn't take overt action to stay out of politics, and that would've been the end of it.
Except they've never tried to stay out of politics.

* They took money from Obama's DoD to astroturf (fake) patriotism at games.
* They denied a player the right to wear a 9-11 remembrance. RULES!
* They denied Dallas the right to honor the dead Dallas police, executed by a racism BLM nutjob. RULES!
* They allow players to protest the flag. FORGET THE RULES!

They're hypocrites with little-to-no defining core or code to their own implementation of the rules and player conduct.

They're killing their brand. This isn't the only way, either. It's just the loudest and most visible one.
Old 09-25-2017, 04:42 PM   #47
GunnSgtHartman
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Just spent 5 months there with the woman. 5+ dollars for a gallon of milk. Their dollar is fucking worthless. 14+ dollars for a pack of smokes. Fuck Canada, can't wait to get her here permanently.
Hate, hate, hate, it seems all you guys are able to do nowadays, on both sides. That's what I was talking about, not the economy (we're doing well here and people aren't afraid of not having enough money to get healthcare, thank you very much!).

You're right on path for a good civil war, I guess you guys are due after 150 years.
Old 09-25-2017, 04:42 PM   #48
Eats
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomUSMC View Post
By allowing him to break the rules, the NFL essentially endorsed him.
He was blackballed from the NFL in the quietest way possible. They clearly did not want him to be kneeling. They did not want to take a side, but they definitely wanted it to stop.

Everything you are saying is that they should've taken a side and entered the political firestorm when they very clearly were trying to not take a side. You aren't endorsing someone when you blackball them from the league. That is crazy.
Old 09-25-2017, 04:43 PM   #49
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnSgtHartman View Post
Don't you think I have some too for our country?
Oh Canada, you suck. lol...whatever. Enjoy the CFL. Crap.
Old 09-25-2017, 04:46 PM   #50
Eats
Developer

Quote:
Except they've never tried to stay out of politics.

* They took money from Obama's DoD to astroturf (fake) patriotism at games.
Yes they took advertising money like a business, for a pro america advertising campaign that neither party was against. Sounds about right.

Quote:
* They denied a player the right to wear a 9-11 remembrance. RULES!
* They denied Dallas the right to honor the dead Dallas police, executed by a racism BLM nutjob. RULES!
* They allow players to protest the flag. FORGET THE RULES!

They're hypocrites with little-to-no defining core or code to their own implementation of the rules and player conduct.

They're killing their brand. This isn't the only way, either. It's just the loudest and most visible one.
They didn't allow anything. If Kaepernick had asked for permission it is very clear their answer was no. He was blackballed from the league. They took the least political action possible, just like they did in every other situation you mentioned.

This was not a leftist philosophy, it was a non-politics philosophy.
Old 09-25-2017, 04:53 PM   #51
GunnSgtHartman
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
It's why so many of them close to the border flock over here - especially during the holidays - to take care of their shopping. Even when their dollar is worth less than ours (which is most of the time), they're still spending less overall. They have it even better off over here, because some of the border towns and areas Canadians will flock to will treat Canadian currency on par simply to attract more of them.

The shitty part is that Canada has intentionally kept their currency value lower than ours to help drive north-bound tourism.
I know a few people that went to work in the USA and eventually came back. Average quality of life is much better here in general, and you don't have to be a slave to a company to get healthcare or any benefits at all. As long as you are lucky enough in the US, you'll do great. As soon as something bad happens (health, natural disaster, name it) or you don't have much money to spend on education, your 'American dream' (who really believes in that?) is pretty much over. Here, we believe in sharing our wealth and giving everyone a chance. I don't mind to pay those ridiculously high taxes for that reason, but I still wish they were better spent. I know, I must be strange, I believe you can get the best out of conservatism and liberalism.

I did work a few months in Virginia in my 20's, so I'm not completely clueless about this.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:05 PM   #52
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Yes they took advertising money like a business
To push a political viewpoint. So much for your claim that they're trying to avoid politics.

Quote:
They didn't allow anything
So he was stopped after the first time? Wow! I was pretty sure he carried that protest on and on and on without any sanction from the league!

As for being blackballed, that's baloney. Like Tim Tebow, he lacks the ability when compared to other alternatives. In other words, he got replaced, which is what the NFL does to players. Often.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:30 PM   #53
GunnSgtHartman
Evil Dead

Quote:
Oh Canada, you suck. lol...whatever. Enjoy the CFL. Crap.
For once I agree with you
Old 09-25-2017, 05:35 PM   #54
VenomUSMC
Evil Dead

Quote:
He was blackballed from the NFL in the quietest way possible. They clearly did not want him to be kneeling. They did not want to take a side, but they definitely wanted it to stop.

Everything you are saying is that they should've taken a side and entered the political firestorm when they very clearly were trying to not take a side. You aren't endorsing someone when you blackball them from the league. That is crazy.
Is enforcing predetermined rules taking a side or is not enforcing certain rules for certain players taking a side? I believe the second option is more likely.

If he was producing like some other QBs, I think teams would have overlooked his kneeling.
VenomUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 06:41 PM   #55
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Hate, hate, hate, it seems all you guys are able to do nowadays, on both sides. That's what I was talking about, not the economy (we're doing well here and people aren't afraid of not having enough money to get healthcare, thank you very much!).

You're right on path for a good civil war, I guess you guys are due after 150 years.
Logic isn't hate, your economy in Canada is terrible, your healthcare is terrible, I've seen it first hand. Calling things out for what they are isn't hate holy snowflake Batman. When are you people on the left going to wake up and realize your ideology is flat out destructive to our way of life? What is it going to take? Everyone being below the poverty line and on Welfare or EI? Will that even open your eyes?
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 07:07 PM   #56
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:

What in the hell do you expect people to do? Just lay down and let their country be dictated to and changed forever by foreigners and their traitorous backers?

Quote:
I own a software studio. I don't know if you really own a company or not but from the way you talk about your employees it sounds like its a fast food place or something....
Yea, making cheesy indi games is FAR more admirable that running a restaurant. I mock your flat lifeless eyes.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:32 PM   #57
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinistar View Post
Maps, maps, everyone does maps. Here's one that's telling - it's about economic stability and distressed communities here in the US of A.

We are all getting shanked, every day - but you go ahead and keep protesting people who don't stand because that shit matters.
Which changes nothing that Americans in the majority are sick of progressive liberal bullshit. We are not a communist nation. fucking deal with it.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:34 PM   #58
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
You are just blending a million disparate situations together here. Also you are acting like the NFL was like "yes, kaepernick it would be a great idea for you to kneel, thanks for asking permission."

He didn't ask permission and he was blackballed for what he did.

If you allow this decal, do you allow decals saying Black Lives Matter? Pro Life? Pro Choice? Repeal Obamacare? John 3:16? Where does it end?

The NFLs answer as a business should be no, this political stuff is not ok. If you do it anyway we will not enter the political firestorm and take a side, but we will drum you out of the NFL in the quietest way possible.
You keep saying he was blackballed without actual proof of him being blackballed because it didn't happen. Rules are rules, much like immigration rules, either you follow them or get deported. I know that's difficult for marxists like yourself to understand.
Old 09-26-2017, 12:28 AM   #59
Eats
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
You keep saying he was blackballed without actual proof of him being blackballed because it didn't happen. Rules are rules, much like immigration rules, either you follow them or get deported. I know that's difficult for marxists like yourself to understand.
If he wasn't blackballed it is quite a coincidence that it just happens to look exactly like he was. He just went from starting QB to not backup or even secondary backup on any team in the league. I mean that's not impossible but it is very coincidental.

Quote:
According to a recent Freeman piece, about 20 percent of the NFL's decision-makers "genuinely believe he can't play." Another 20 percent are afraid of the blowback from a Kaepernick signing, fearing the reaction of fans, advertisers and even President Donald J. Trump. The rest of the league?

"The rest genuinely hate him and can't stand what he did [kneeling for the national anthem]," one AFC general manager told Freeman. "They want nothing to do with him. They won't move on. They think showing no interest is a form of punishment. I think some teams also want to use Kaepernick as a cautionary tale to stop other players in the future from doing what he did."
Rules are enforced at the discretion of the enforcers. They don't call every penalty in football because that would be terrible. In real life bringing criminal charges is at the discretion of the police and the DA. "Rules are rules" is not and never has been the american way. Trump conned and cheated people his entire life and dodged the draft. Now he is the president. He just pardoned arpaio who was clearly guilty.

Also why are you calling me a communist like this is the cold war? I'm not, and what does that have anything to do with protests?
Old 09-26-2017, 12:35 AM   #60
Eats
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzc View Post
Yea, making cheesy indi games is FAR more admirable that running a restaurant. I mock your flat lifeless eyes.
Actually we've expanded a lot and are about to open our third studio. We make video games but we also do other software dev. We recently made the telemedicine system for the Eagles.

I don't think it is more admirable, but I also think you should treat your employees with respect and not like disposable garbage because they do something you disagree with.

Tags
game day, nfl, nfl game day