Evil Avatar  



Go Back   Evil Avatar > Daily Gaming News > News Items

» Sponsored Links


» Recent Threads
Capcom Shutters Dead...
Last post by karaliusbronius
Today 10:14 PM
1 Replies, 64 Views
Ace Combat 7 Pre-Order...
Last post by Evil Avatar
Today 09:25 PM
1 Replies, 40 Views
First Trailer for...
Last post by Evil Avatar
Today 08:50 PM
4 Replies, 198 Views
Resonance of Fate 4K /...
Last post by Evil Avatar
Today 08:45 PM
0 Replies, 75 Views
Liberals gone wild
Last post by Terran
Today 04:40 PM
2,417 Replies, 293,786 Views
The Predator Becomes...
Last post by vallor
Today 03:23 PM
27 Replies, 1,539 Views
Watch the new...
Last post by KlausFlouride
Today 03:09 PM
8 Replies, 1,084 Views
Game & Movie Releases...
Last post by Evil Avatar
Today 05:21 AM
4 Replies, 856 Views
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2018, 01:06 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff
 
Emabulator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: The Garden State
Posts: 31,116
Blog Entries: 58
Two Riot Games Employees Out After Social Media Posts About Controversial PAX Panels


Game Informer has the story.

Quote:
Riot Games, the studio behind the popular MOBA League of Legends, has been a subject of controversy with alarming frequency over the last few weeks. After numerous accusations of sexual harassment and toxic work culture, Riot released a statement promising to do better for its employees and its fans with a number of agenda points and actionable statements. This lead to another controversy this past weekend, where Riot Games held a PAX panel exclusively for women and nonbinary people on the subject of getting women into games professionally.

The League of Legends community, specifically on the game's subreddit, was not fond of this move. Many accused Riot of trying to solve their sexism problems by engaging in sexism against men. It became a particular sore spot as Riot had allegedly asked the mods of the subreddit to remove discussions about sexism in the previous few weeks, so the community already felt aggrieved by the developer.

During the commotion, Riot systems designer Daniel Z. Klein made his presence known by commenting on the subject, calling the complainers "manbabies" and laid the blame on "violently angry" protesters for making the community feel "fucking terrifying" in a follow-up reddit post. Another Riot employee, communications designer Mattias Lehman, backed up Klein on Twitter, arguing that the "both sides" mentality misses the forest for the trees.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 01:34 PM   #2
EL CABONG
Evil Dead
 
EL CABONG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: The Empire State
Posts: 1,442
Good publicly Insulting your customers should get you fired.
EL CABONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 01:56 PM   #3
Terran
Evil Dead
 
Terran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 12,700
Progressives are generally unable to separate their desire for inclusion (a laudable goal) from their desire to discriminate against whites, men, conservatives, Christians, and anyone who isn't actively part of their preferred demographic. They find it nigh impossible to conceive of the one without the elimination of these other groups, with the irony escaping them completely.
__________________
Why would Republicans pass such a terrible tax law? lol...

Giving people more of their own money...WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS? :D
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 02:54 PM   #4
blackzc
Evil Dead
 
blackzc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: I am boot, hear me win!
Posts: 6,723
Fire all the bitches. The sexism will go away. Go to titty bars during lunch.

How can people be so fucking stupid? Women ruin everything that is dominated by men. Get rid of them.
__________________
Nintendo: A guiding light in a sea of video game degeneracy
blackzc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 03:15 PM   #5
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game
 
Evil Avatar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 32,873
Blog Entries: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzc View Post
Fire all the bitches. The sexism will go away. Go to titty bars during lunch.

How can people be so fucking stupid? Women ruin everything that is dominated by men. Get rid of them.
While your post is pretty far off the mark in terms of political correctness, I have been reading and hearing that a lot of big tech companies are starting to institute an under the table policy of not hiring women specifically because of all the trouble they end up causing.

All this progressive nonsense is actually ending up hurting the people they claim to want to help. You go around making a huge stink all the time about "toxic masculinity" and after a while companies will just find it easier to not hire women/trans/minorities just to keep from having to deal with the lawsuits and headache.
__________________
I'm bad, and that's good. I will never be good, and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be than me.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 03:25 PM   #6
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff
 
Emabulator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: The Garden State
Posts: 31,116
Blog Entries: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
While your post is pretty far off the mark in terms of political correctness, I have been reading and hearing that a lot of big tech companies are starting to institute an under the table policy of not hiring women specifically because of all the trouble they end up causing.

All this progressive nonsense is actually ending up hurting the people they claim to want to help. You go around making a huge stink all the time about "toxic masculinity" and after a while companies will just find it easier to not hire women/trans/minorities just to keep from having to deal with the lawsuits and headache.
In other words, Jersey style - excuse me, "just do your damn job and shut the f*** up." I mean how hard is this for people? Working for a living is great, and IT SUCKS. Pay me, bye! See you next week.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 03:33 PM   #7
Terran
Evil Dead
 
Terran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 12,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emabulator View Post
"just do your damn job and shut the f*** up." I mean how hard is this for people?
Truth. I learned a long time ago that an unspoken priority of the folks above me in the hierarchical food chain is to keep drama off of their damn agenda and out of their workspace. You create drama and you become the shit pile that draws the flies, and they're looking to flush you out of the system as quickly as possible, because shit stinks and flies are disgusting.

In other words, just do your damn job and keep your drama to your own fucking self. Period.
__________________
Why would Republicans pass such a terrible tax law? lol...

Giving people more of their own money...WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS? :D
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 03:40 PM   #8
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 7,092
Interesting they feel the need to hold a panel on how to get women into the games industry. In fact I find it laughable. The criteria for most game companies when evaluating a female for a STEM position seems to be "1) Have a bare number of qualifications, usually just enough to check off a few of the boxes on the job description, 2) have a vagina. Bonus points if you are marginally good looking." Sometimes we would end up with a "Yeah, but we can train her in that" discussions when comparing to a better qualified male candidate. No, this doesn't include Trans or non-binary weirdness. I haven't run into those hiring decisions yet, thankfully.

Male applicants, on the other hand, need to compete with each other on all requirements measured in high levels expertise not simply if they have any knowledge of a topic at all.

It is funny that they only worry about the toxic community when it comes to whatever their preferred minority is.

The Riot community is one of the most toxic on the internet no matter who you are or what you identify as and always has been. They are equal opportunity fuck-sticks just like pretty much every other gaming community.

This is what the special snowflakes of the anti-gamergate contingent missed when they keep insisting Gamergaters are sexist, racist, or whatever -ist... no, we aren't.

We hate or like people because they are whiny bitches, assholes, or good players who help their team mates or show incredible skills. It really was about making sure people weren't fucking their way to good reviews and making sure game "journalists" were holding themselves to some standards instead of the incestuous insider good ol' (non-gender binary) radical progressive club it had become and, frankly thanks to the lack of Gamergate allies with any sort of authority and the ability to for the media to hold all the narrative cards, still is.

EDIT: To be clear, many of the women I've worked with, particularly in Sr. positions have been good at their job. However the fact remains that, in my experience and my opinion, a merely qualified female will almost always get the hiring nod over a WELL qualified male. It is the exception and not the rule to find the flat out female diversity hire, same with racial diversity hires. But the fact it happens at all is a huge problem. And now with places like California making laws where they want to force Boards of companies to include a certain number of females it will really begin watering down accomplishments.

Last edited by vallor; 09-08-2018 at 04:06 PM..
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 05:15 PM   #9
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead
 
Mad Max RW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 837
I find it amusing this was posted almost right after a Leisure Suit Larry trailer.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 09:22 PM   #10
Exodus
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Winter is coming.
Posts: 2,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
Interesting they feel the need to hold a panel on how to get women into the games industry. In fact I find it laughable. The criteria for most game companies when evaluating a female for a STEM position seems to be "1) Have a bare number of qualifications, usually just enough to check off a few of the boxes on the job description, 2) have a vagina. Bonus points if you are marginally good looking." Sometimes we would end up with a "Yeah, but we can train her in that" discussions when comparing to a better qualified male candidate. No, this doesn't include Trans or non-binary weirdness. I haven't run into those hiring decisions yet, thankfully.

Male applicants, on the other hand, need to compete with each other on all requirements measured in high levels expertise not simply if they have any knowledge of a topic at all.

It is funny that they only worry about the toxic community when it comes to whatever their preferred minority is.

The Riot community is one of the most toxic on the internet no matter who you are or what you identify as and always has been. They are equal opportunity fuck-sticks just like pretty much every other gaming community.

This is what the special snowflakes of the anti-gamergate contingent missed when they keep insisting Gamergaters are sexist, racist, or whatever -ist... no, we aren't.

We hate or like people because they are whiny bitches, assholes, or good players who help their team mates or show incredible skills. It really was about making sure people weren't fucking their way to good reviews and making sure game "journalists" were holding themselves to some standards instead of the incestuous insider good ol' (non-gender binary) radical progressive club it had become and, frankly thanks to the lack of Gamergate allies with any sort of authority and the ability to for the media to hold all the narrative cards, still is.

EDIT: To be clear, many of the women I've worked with, particularly in Sr. positions have been good at their job. However the fact remains that, in my experience and my opinion, a merely qualified female will almost always get the hiring nod over a WELL qualified male. It is the exception and not the rule to find the flat out female diversity hire, same with racial diversity hires. But the fact it happens at all is a huge problem. And now with places like California making laws where they want to force Boards of companies to include a certain number of females it will really begin watering down accomplishments.
I agree that we're overcompensating but I disagree that it happens all the time considering we have a pretty long history of not so maybe you mean during your life span which is a drop in the bucket compared to the whole.

I think both sides need to fucking grow up and realize yeah there has been a travesty that's been happening and yes one side might have a history of factual fucked up shit that was traditional they need to also put on a grown up hat too but should be working towards THE BALANCE or are they expecting compensation since the beginning of time?
I mean yeesh hilary had her run and they sure didn't show up to vote for her. Good luck on their next chance. Maybe when obama's daughter gets there in another 30yrs.
__________________
Be the change you want to see in the world.
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.
Exodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 04:42 AM   #11
Paranoia
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,295
Get woke, go broke.
Paranoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 06:37 AM   #12
AlfredT
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,143
So fucking dumb. Lets make an "inclusive" session... by excluding people.

Oh people are upset.. lets justify it with stupid rhetoric that has no logical sense.

Oh noes, we got fired! Quelle Surprise!
__________________
There are sharks in the water, and your mangina is bleeding heavily.
AlfredT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 06:33 PM   #13
blackzc
Evil Dead
 
blackzc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: I am boot, hear me win!
Posts: 6,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoia View Post
Get woke, go broke.
Yea, the betas are in charge atm. Alphas have to fight twice as hard, with the heel nippers and all, or do they?

If i had to choose. Id choose the less money, stress free Alpha route during this timeline. These mofos want to run around like crazy for money, caving on their values, makes shit easier for me. Nature corrects things at some point.
__________________
Nintendo: A guiding light in a sea of video game degeneracy
blackzc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 06:56 PM   #14
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead
 
ElektroDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Seattle area
Posts: 10,449
They're all idiot children, because only idiot children would design or play a MOBA.
__________________
Proud to be perma-banned 5 times on NeoGAF.
ElektroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 01:08 AM   #15
Juan
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
Truth. I learned a long time ago that an unspoken priority of the folks above me in the hierarchical food chain is to keep drama off of their damn agenda and out of their workspace. You create drama and you become the shit pile that draws the flies, and they're looking to flush you out of the system as quickly as possible, because shit stinks and flies are disgusting.

In other words, just do your damn job and keep your drama to your own fucking self. Period.
100% this.

The easiest path to success in the work place - make your bosses job easier. You can be a belligerent cunt to those beneath you if you must but ALWAYS make it easier for those above you. This isn't brown nosing, it's common sense.
Juan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 03:10 AM   #16
vivafletcher
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 484
This is a confusing thread. Do we know if there was sexual harassment going on, or are we just assuming it was people complaining for no reason?

Because people shouldn't be harassed at work. Even if it makes things uncomfortable to change the current culture. Not sure why that would be controversial. People might feel threatened over the phrase "toxic work culture" but they really do exist. Not always, but it does exist.

Can I assume that everybody agrees that sexual harassment is wrong and we should eliminate it from workplaces when it exists, or is there an incel thing going on in video game culture that I don't know about?
vivafletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 04:11 AM   #17
RAV
Lord
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 94
Maybe. But the question comes down to how you define "toxic" and "harassment" and what you do about it.
The policies in many liberal work places to handle this have become increasingly insane.
Stuff like looking a woman in the eyes for more than 5 seconds is considered harassment.
and I mean this literally, this is no joke, it's real. Seriously. Fuck that shit.

Pretty much any sort of distress is construed as toxic at this point,
and the liberal obsession about totally "eliminating" things based on very questionable,
fuzzy and downright bizarre interpretations of the problem does feel threatening.

There is just so much legal uncertainty for regular men at the work place anymore,
ripe for abuse, I consider that a lot more toxic at this point than anything else.
RAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 06:57 AM   #18
AlfredT
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzc View Post
Yea, the betas are in charge atm. Alphas have to fight twice as hard, with the heel nippers and all, or do they?

If i had to choose. Id choose the less money, stress free Alpha route during this timeline. These mofos want to run around like crazy for money, caving on their values, makes shit easier for me. Nature corrects things at some point.
This is something a "beta" would say.

Sad conspiracy theory shit. If you are going for the whole I'm an alpha male shit.. lil free tip.. Alpha males don't shit around bitching at how a beta male conspiracy is undermining them.

" Id choose the less money, stress free Alpha route during this timeline"

You're really trying extra hard to be retarded today aren't you. A+ for effort.
__________________
There are sharks in the water, and your mangina is bleeding heavily.
AlfredT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:04 AM   #19
MavenACTG
Dread Lord
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 101
You know, I wrote the below, and I'm just going to throw it out there, but I'm not fully committed to the ideas. This would be the equivalent of some CMV stuff:

Gaming companies really need to leave addressing social problems to the creative space and its ability to explore all sides of an issue. The minute social commentary leaves the domain of art, you become participant and actor in the zeitgeist, good or bad, and need to fully commit to the struggle that is going to come your way.

The gaming industry suffers from the same myopia and cultural weaknesses that are promulgated in tech culture (better at solving problems created by their own technology rather than addressing social problems meaningfully, tend to ignore governing bodies or outside parties except when it serves their business interest, libertarian / capitalist ideology dominant).

I don't see how anyone in that industry feels they are in any position to make positive change. Tech folks are the gilded class of the modern era; I say that both to their influence and power and their complete disconnect from everyday realities. Games are one of the ultimate signifiers that you only have first-world problems to deal with.

The decision to do "Womens-Only" anything to counteract male-dominated anything is going to fail because that fundamentally misunderstands feminism's core approach to equality: not through "separate but equal", but where gender isn't a factor (within reason) in decisions of non-sexual matter, period.
MavenACTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 01:57 PM   #20
Terran
Evil Dead
 
Terran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 12,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredT View Post
You're really trying extra hard to be retarded today aren't you. A+ for effort.
Grade inflation. Your standards are slipping.
__________________
Why would Republicans pass such a terrible tax law? lol...

Giving people more of their own money...WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS? :D
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
league of legends, riot games

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:26 PM.